Author Topic: "The Lake" lyrics  (Read 6987 times)

Offline Jackal

• Just A Shadow
"The Lake" lyrics
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:24:36 AM »
What do they mean?

I've been meaning to ask this for years. I have asked all the King fans I know and they aren't sure what the lyrics aside
from the first verse and chorus mean.

Any Sunday morning
Way just before dawn
A little girl is dancing
On the mansion lawn
She calls out a name
Dagon of the sea
Appear from the darkest deep
And hear my need

This is pretty self explanatory. A little girl either possessed, insane, or REALLY invoking Dagon is doing some sort of ritual ( or perhaps a "happy" dance? )on the lawn of the mansion near the lake. I'm guessing the version of Dagon King used is the biblical Sea-God/devil/dragon one, so I've always envisioned a gigantic murky and misty lake behind the mansion big enough for Dagon to appear out of it.

Down by the Lake
There's a shadow of grief
Dancing hand in hand
With the devil

The word "devil" makes me think that the Dagon King is referring to is the biblical one. Though I may be wrong here ( correct me if I am )

Watching from the bridge, the one near by the lake
Why Sister Margaret? No need the hate

Yes, we all know, that you're serving the cross
But this time my dear
Well you're lost

Here's where things get a little sketchy for me. Sister Margeret obviously is a nun, perhaps sent by the little girl's family to
reason or try to heal the girl of whatever allegedly is possessed in her. Why a nun would be sent is a question as usually Priests are the ones with the "power" to do these kind of things. The little girl seems to wondering why the Nun hates her God ( Dagon ) and that she knows she's working in Christianity. "Well you're lost " is a little weird, but it's giving me the impression that the little girl looks down upon Christianity and it's works and thinks that the nun is spiritually lost.

And the nun has been seen
I want your cross
Now come and play
Sister Margaret

Follow pride, the nun won't give in
She goes down the lawn
Scared as Hell, the little girl is screaming ( Could of sworn it's GRINNING in the song? )
While Sister Margaret disappears in the lake

Now here is where I am lost! What I get out of this is the little girl sees the nun... but didn't she already see the nun in the 2nd verse? So the little girl wants the Nun to come over to her and "play". The little girl might be trying to rip the cross off the Nun's neck or out of her hands, but the Nun won't let her.

From my interpertation, the little girl accidentally/purposely strangles the nun and pushes her down into the lake and dissapears into the water. She then continues to dance her ritual/happy dance with the devil, overcome with joy that she killed the nun.

...Or, the little girl somehow manages to knock the nun over push her down the lawn into the lake, and she just dissapears into the Lake drowning in it.  or Possibly taken by Dagon himself.

This is what I get from "The Lake". I'm not sure if I'm right or not, but if anyone really knows the answer I'd love to know!

Either way, "The Lake" is my favorite King Diamond song ever. The at mopshere is just amazing, King sounds his best here ( IMO ), the musicianship is top notch. It just feels right. When I listen to this song I get lost in it. The lyrics are also my favorite, cos they really give me imagery and make me think. I believe it was King's intentions to not be clear on these lyrics to let his fans paint the picture in our own heads. But I'd still really like to know the truth about this song.

On a side note, can't wait for the new album ( and hopefully NA tour! ). If you read this, thank you fellow Diamond Bangers. Stay heavy!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:30:11 AM by Jackal »

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
Re: "The Lake" lyrics
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:27:24 AM »
Yes, the Lake is a great one indeed.
But I never actually read the lyrics before.
Ya I am lost too.

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:44:23 AM »
mmmmh I don´t really know the true meaning of the song....and the explanations from you seeming all logical to me.

I have another possibility (maybe I´m totally wrong):

Any Sunday morning
Way just before dawn
A little girl is dancing
On the mansion lawn
She calls out a name
"Dagon of the sea
And hear my need"

(Hear my need - I think the little girl wants Dagon to take Sister Margaret!)

Down by the Lake
Dancing hand in hand
With the devil

(the shadow of grief is the little girl I think....Dancing hand in hand with the devil - in my opinion it means like she´s making a deal with the devil (maybe Dagon is the Devil))

Why Sister Margaret? No need the hate

But this time my dear
Well you're lost

(this one´s hard! Maybe the passage "Why Sister Margaret? No need the hate" means "Why does the little girl hate Sister Margaret? She has no reason to hate the nun!" But I´m really not sure about this....
"Yes, We all know, that you´re serving the cross/But this time my dear/Well you´re lost" could be "we all know that Margaret is a true believer but this time God can´t help her! She will die!"

And the nun has been seen
"I want your cross
Now come and play
Sister Margaret"

Follow pride, the nun won't give in
She goes down the lawn
Scared as Hell, the little girl is screaming
While Sister Margaret disappears in the lake

I think now we´re back in the story: the nun is watching from the bridge and the little girl (and maybe Dagon himself) has seen the nun, now! The girl screams:"I want your cross
Now come and play, Sister Margaret!" - the nun won´t give up and goes down to the girl but as she´s on the lawn Dagon takes her down the lake! But WHY is the girl scared as hell, now? Maybe Dagon appears only at the end and takes the Margaret with him - therefore the little girl is scared! Or the little girl was possessed by Dagon and she´s normal again as the nun disappars in the lake! Or the little girl is schizophrenic...I don´t know!!!

Offline Renzo

• Global Moderator
    • Official King Diamond and Mercyful Fate Fanclub
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 03:03:33 PM »
Actually I can be of help here. I asked King once about these lyrics. He said the one time he saw this movie where a girl is walking with a nun nearby a lake and then he King imagined something like "wouldn't it be cool it a monster (Dagon in this case) would jump out of the lake and grab this girl. That's what the lake is about.
I need a little light ... in the darkness, my eyes can't see ...

Offline Jackal

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 05:06:39 PM »
Nice interpertation Bloodfreak! That does make a lot of sense. Very interesting   :cool:

And thank you Renzo, good to know something from King himself. I wonder what movie that's from?

Offline Patrick S Oneil

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 04:29:21 AM »
Hmmm, I am getting a more metaphoric vibe here.

Perhaps it is about a woman abandoning her faith, or giving in to temptation and finding her ultimate happiness through doing so?

Maybe the little girl represents the repressed self inside of Sister Margaret, the lake is a lake of fire or the dark side, and the bridge is the path between?

"I want your cross... Now come and play... Sister Margaret" As in give up your religion and your mission and return to life. 

"Little girl is grinning, and Sister Margaret disappears into the lake" as in that side of her is gone and the child in her lives again, brought back to life by casting aside her religious chains (disappearing into the lake). 

And from there, "Down by the lake is a shadow of Happiness (not grief) dancing hand in hand with the devil" -Pretty self explanatory there, and seems to make sense of my theory.

Who knows?

We would have to ask King. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:36:10 AM by Patrick S Oneil »

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 09:58:41 PM »
Actually I can be of help here. I asked King once about these lyrics. He said the one time he saw this movie where a girl is walking with a nun nearby a lake and then he King imagined something like "wouldn't it be cool it a monster (Dagon in this case) would jump out of the lake and grab this girl. That's what the lake is about.

well that pretty much explains it....thanks!

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:24:48 PM »
well what I got out of it was this:

a little girl is invoking Dagon to grant herself a wish... dagon needs a soul to grant this wish... the little girl delivers him the nun... so at 1st the shadow of grief is dagon alone... the last line its changed with a shadow of happiness.. so the soul was fulfilled with the nuns... and maybe dagon wanted company

I would say that Dagon and The little girl are one and the same, yet in different form. but in the beginiing the little girl wouldnt have called on herself

if more bands could be that

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:37:40 PM »
I think when this little girl invocates Dagon, she thinks it's kind of silly little game, just like little kids like to "invocate ghosts" and stuff. She hadn't known what was to come until the monster actually appeared over the water surface and grabbed the nun.

Offline deni

• Deadly Lullabye
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:10:08 AM »
i think the lake is kings best song ever

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 09:08:50 AM »
King was asked this on those WRTN radio tapes and he said that

"The lake is about a girl who has a hard time growing up under the guidance of a nun and she rebels against this nun.  this girl has her friends in the lake.  I think it is very eerie when a girl or even a small boy is into the occult,  so this girl see's things and protects things.  and at the end she wins against the nun and finds happiness"
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »
Here are the correct lyrics for "The Lake"

Every Sunday morning
Just before dawn
A little girl is dancing
On the mansion lawn
She calls out a name
Dagon of the sea
And hear my need

Down by the Lake
Dancing hand in hand
With the Devil

Oh Sister Margaret, no need to hate

But this time my dear
Oh you lost

Down by the lake there's a shadow of grief
Dancing hand in hand with the Devil

Oh the nun has been seen
I want your cross
Now come and play
Sister Margaret

Full of pride, the nun won't give in
She goes down the lawn
Scared as Hell
The little girl is grinning
Oh Sister Margaret disappears in the lake

Down by the lake there's a shadow of happiness
Dancing hand in hand with the Devil
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 03:03:08 AM »
Thank you Livia for the correct lyrics! Now it makes sense!!  :king: \m/

(and I can sing the RIGHT lyrics in the shower  :D)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:11:51 PM by Bloodfreak »

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 12:02:41 PM »
Thanks Livia.  These are different from the lyrics that I printed out from those other lyric sites.  This makes more sense now.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
The possible reason why "The Lake" lyrics on those lyric sites are incorrect is because they have been translated from Japanese.
When the album was released in Japan, the lyrics were also translated to Japanese, and someone had translated them back to English without making sure the translation was correct, and that's the version that found its way to all those lyric sites.
"God give him the sea"?  Hahaha...    :gah:
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 10:09:37 PM »
That explains a lot. I wondered that whoever transcribed those lyrics was high or maybe King was when he wrote them! Just kidding, I know King is not like that. It's cool to know what he really says there.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 06:57:52 AM »
The possible reason why "The Lake" lyrics on those lyric sites are incorrect is because they have been translated from Japanese.
When the album was released in Japan, the lyrics were also translated to Japanese, and someone had translated them back to English without making sure the translation was correct, and that's the version that found its way to all those lyric sites.
"God give him the sea"?  Hahaha...     

Livia, thanks, that explains it.  I wonder if I have the wrong lyrics to any other songs.  LOL you are right "god give him the sea"  never did make sense.