Author Topic: The Family Ghost Video  (Read 7083 times)

Offline Father malone

• Unclean Spirit
The Family Ghost Video
« on: July 06, 2007, 02:36:50 pm »
ok we all know this one....besides welcome home its a signature song...the first king song i ever heard!   but what is up with the video???...i mean seariously how does it relate to the story??.....theres all kinds of shit goin on..  kings eating what apears to be a half chicken theres like circus people.....its like a bad dream on acid or somthing.....when me and my friends get drunk we put in that video on repeat and and laugh for hours! lol

HAIL KING

Offline stormycat

• Just A Shadow
Re: The Family Ghost Video
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:46:38 pm »
On the "Them" tour my friend actually asked King what the hell it was that he was eating in that video.  He told us it was chicken and looked at us like we were nuts for asking.  So kudos to you for figuring out at least one thing that was going on!
"..how strange it is, in darkness blood is black not red"

Offline EmperorPalpatine

• Mandrake
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:13:48 pm »
The clip had no connection with the story, i remember i read it in special King Diamond issue. I read it was intended not to be connected with a story......
But i'm not agree with you. The clip is very good directed. I like it a lot........

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:20:08 pm »
In the video King has this priceless smirk on his face. He looks a bit like the cat that ate the canary.

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 12:52:29 am »
The one thing that I really liked about that video was the black and red makeup that he wore in part of the video.  I could have sworn that during part of the tour supporting Abigail he wore that makeup.  Anyone remember?

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 06:12:20 am »
Hey! It was the 80s! There were plenty of videos out there that had no connection with the lyrics of the song whatsoever. And Family Ghost is no exception. When they first aired it, I was in shock. Finally, a King Diamond video! And MTV hardly aired it, too. Except for when King hosted headbangers' ball from time to time...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:45:56 am »
In an interview King said that the story line for Abigail was way to heavy to put into a video, so that is why there was no connection.  He also said that he was told not to have the Satanic Cross included in his makeup for the video if it was to be shown on MTV.  So he said he put the number nine there instead because it means the exact same thing but not a lot of people know that.  I find it funny though that he still kept on the Satanic Cross necklaces and earings and other stuff.  Plus the video was done in the middle of a big Satanic Pentagram on the floor.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 10:49:00 am »
I haven't watched it in a while. All I remember is that he's standing in what seemed to me like a poorly done boxing rink.
It was probably that pentagram with ropes. I'll LMAO next time I see it!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline diamondhead35

• Black Devil
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 11:46:41 am »
the video was weird but good :king: \m/

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 11:52:27 am »
Yeah i am not a big fan of the videos (as far as looking at it like a filmmaker) but i do love the fact that they did it and we have it. I want to direct a King Diamond music Video

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 02:26:29 pm »
 Plus the video was done in the middle of a big Satanic Pentagram on the floor.

Actually a pentagram is only as satanic as you want it to be. upright or upside down it is still a pentagram. Being a Wiccan I have argued this for years.
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline Livia Zita

• Band
    • Livia's Artsy Stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 06:37:22 pm »
When I first saw this video with my sisters way back when, we tried to figure out what Kim was eating, and we concluded it was a bat!  :D We looked at it forever over and over, and that was the only thing we managed to see. :)

Of course now we know it wasn't a bat.  ::)  :gah:
Working in the backgrounds :)

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 06:59:51 pm »
I ever thought it was a sandwich! :P

Offline blakkheart

• Banshee
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2007, 10:21:59 pm »
I never had MTV when I was younger, it sucked so bad.  Oh, MTV that is.  They played the same SHIT every time , and still do!  Every once in a while when someone cool hosted it they would actually play something worth a damn (King Diamond).  I had never seen The Family Ghost video until a couple years ago.  I think it was worth the wait.   \m/ :D

Offline stormycat

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2007, 09:24:46 am »
Ha!  Livia, that is sooo funny!  My friend and I also thought that it was a bat, or possibly a taco...I am so happy to hear that we were not the only ones watching that one part of the video over and over and over again.  The thing that freaks me out is that was 20 freakin' years ago!  I feel soooo old.

Offline Jackal

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 09:39:51 am »
That video is so random. I love it, it's hilarious. The stripper spinning the thing in her mouth, the balding shirtless clown juggling. King's facial expressions and sitting on a throne. The random ropes around. And of course, King eating that chicken which I thought was a taco.

So um, is there a reason for him randomly eating that?

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 09:50:51 am »
I never had MTV when I was younger, it sucked so bad.  Oh, MTV that is.  They played the same SHIT every time , and still do!  Every once in a while when someone cool hosted it they would actually play something worth a damn (King Diamond).  I had never seen The Family Ghost video until a couple years ago.  I think it was worth the wait.   \m/ :D

MTV used to be a creative audio and visual landscape. At the time when it came out, I was really open to many different bands. The videos were quite creative with limited budgets and primitive video effects.

Alas, MTV has nothing to do with music these days. I do occasionally try to watch Headbangers Ball on Saturdays. But being a parent of 3, 10 or 11pm is just way to late for me these days. When I go see King & Co. in May, I'll mentally prepare myself for the late night. Believe it or not, I used to work on the graveyard shift...

Offline stormycat

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 09:59:45 am »
Okay, so I just watched the video for the first time in like, 15 years or more.  That has GOT to be a taco!  Funny stuff.

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 12:17:15 pm »
Actually there are all kinds of different Pentagrams.  It all depends on how they are drawn and if they point up or down.  It makes a huge difference in what it stands for and what it symbolizes.  I am glad to see King of course knows the difference by the ones he has had on stage at times in concert, as well as the ones he draws in the air during shows sometimes.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline blakkheart

• Banshee
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 01:46:17 pm »
MTV used to be a creative audio and visual landscape. At the time when it came out, I was really open to many different bands. The videos were quite creative with limited budgets and primitive video effects.

Alas, MTV has nothing to do with music these days. I do occasionally try to watch Headbangers Ball on Saturdays. But being a parent of 3, 10 or 11pm is just way to late for me these days. When I go see King & Co. in May, I'll mentally prepare myself for the late night. Believe it or not, I used to work on the graveyard shift...

Used to...  Your right, I remember when they first started out.  I don't have cable anymore.  But you would figure that with all the metal videos out today and from the past they would play something different.  But when I get a chance I do like to still watch.  Some metal bands are just carbon copies of other bands.  But I'm not going to point fingers.  At least they are living a dream.  That takes some kind of talent... Doesn't it?  LOL

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 02:47:12 pm »
i love when Andy spins

:gah:

Offline Father malone

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2007, 03:22:54 pm »
actually i think its mike moon who spins

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2007, 05:22:03 pm »
And that's Michael Moon in the video, too?

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 01:29:58 am »
Yeah, it's Michael Moon who spins. Andy comes in afterwards