Author Topic: Questions on The Eye  (Read 29218 times)

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
Questions on The Eye
« on: November 05, 2006, 08:10:36 am »
Since this is the only KD album I don't have yet I was just looking for a little info, opinions, etc.

Offline Penumbra

• The mother of postwhores!
    • My music
Re: Questions on The Eye
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 08:27:37 am »
The story is the second weakest (After spider's lullabye) IMO, and is based around things that really happened in history. The music is great if you can get over the drum-machine. Hal Patino really shines on this album if you ask me. King's voice is allso amazing and something i did not hear after this album. It has heavier tracks (The Trial) and wonderful, moody songs (Insanity). It's everything a KD fan could hope for.

Go get it.

Now.

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 08:41:54 am »
It also contains some of the best keyboard playing that I have ever heard. If keyboards sounded like this more often in Metal, then I'd appreciate them more. They're quite eerie sounding.

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2006, 09:04:10 am »
I'd agree that the album has some great songs. It starts out about a women who is condemned in a witch trial but the main focus of the album is about a convent that is ran by an evil man named Father Picard. The story is somewhat weak but musically it is a powerhouse. All in all it is a solid KD effort and very worthwhile. Buy it now!

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 10:07:18 am »
The eye is a good choice both heavy and melodic with a great over all concept. As a long time fan myself is one of the albums i do enjoy for several reasons.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2006, 12:06:46 pm »
Just buy it :king:

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 12:51:32 pm »
Thanks for the info, I'll pick it up as soon as I can

Offline King Of Diamonds

• Possessed
  • I am many...We are one... The HIGHEST!
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 02:13:26 pm »
My least favorite KD album and the weakest of them imo, but still worth getting.

Offline swintek

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 02:43:40 pm »
"The Trial" is one of his best songs ever. Also, "Behind These Walls" is just a great, underrated King song! Those two will always go on any "best of" mix I make. But, I agree that the record is not that great concept-wise.. still fun!

Ron

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 09:49:10 pm »
great album with great keyboards...i can't tell that it is a drum machine...i love this album

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 01:10:25 pm »
I guess I'm weird, this was/is one of my all time favorite King albums.
The fact the story is a retell of a real world event adds to it IMO.

"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 12:24:53 am »
This album is excellent. If you have them all except this, why not just complete your collection?
I never knew or would have guessed that a drum machine was being used.
One thing I really like about this album is that it sounds to me like a best-of album where each song is a hit.
The eye was a hit and is still played a lot live.
The Trail and Into the covenant were both covered by tribute bands in the King Diamond tribute release albums.
Burn is another one that seems to be played live alot and was is included on the deadly lullabyes live album.
Father Picard and Behind these walls were also described by many as their favorite songs on this album.
The Curse is my personal favorite from this album.
Every song on this album (except maybe the 2 short pieces) was voted by someone as their favorite song on the poll of The Eye from the old forum.

Offline GravesiteCamper666

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 01:37:59 am »
The Eye used to be my fave KD... and now it's Abigail. But this is still fucking great record, when I listened it for the first time I just couldn't get past Eye of the Witch, must've listened the song over 50 times in a row then!!! Opening songs should always rule like it.

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 09:22:46 am »
It´s a great album!! There are very good songs on it (Eye Of The Witch, The Trial, Into The Convent, Father Picard, The Meetings....aaaaah all songs are great!!! \m/)

I bought the Pic-Disc Bootleg recently (from Metalized Blood Rec.) but it´s really great!!! The coverartwork is great as picture disc!!

Offline goddess abigail

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 08:21:51 am »
the eye is a classic, and a must-have for any KD fan!
it is definitely one of my favourites :king:

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 01:48:32 pm »
It´s a great album!! There are very good songs on it (Eye Of The Witch, The Trial, Into The Convent, Father Picard, The Meetings....aaaaah all songs are great!!! \m/)

I bought the Pic-Disc Bootleg recently (from Metalized Blood Rec.) but it´s really great!!! The coverartwork is great as picture disc!!

The Eye picture disc is something that I've been searching for, for awhile now. Now I know where to get it.

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 05:30:29 am »
the eye is a classic, and a must-have for any KD fan!
it is definitely one of my favourites :king:
them''and the ''eye'' was my first two albums that got me into king,check out the ''father picard ''song,all the songs kick ass,its a must have, recently got my''the eye''on cd,

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 01:18:33 pm »
them''and the ''eye'' was my first two albums that got me into king,check out the ''father picard ''song,all the songs kick ass,its a must have, recently got my''the eye''on cd,
I have heard Father Picard many times, love the solo by Pete Blakk along with the keyboards

Offline yoyosmuggler

• Unborn
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 08:49:06 pm »
I never liked the production/recording of THE EYE, but the songs are great and it's some of Andy's best work.

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 06:35:08 am »
My favorite songs on the album are probably Burn, Father Picard, Behind These Walls, and The Curse.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 07:08:39 pm by CorpseWithoutASoul »

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 07:38:31 am »
By no means has The Eye "the weakest story" IMO!
The Eye is really different from the other albums musicwise, and I think it's actually one of the best KD albums...too bad there's actually this drum machine.

Offline The Family Ghost

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 08:40:41 pm »
Since this is the only KD album I don't have yet I was just looking for a little info, opinions, etc.
This is a really strong disc, but when it first came out fans weren't all that happy about it.  It was considered a slight change in direction, but for me it worked.  I've always enjoyed it.  There's lots of good tunes to be found on this one.  The Eye, and Burn are classics, and Father Picard, and 1642 Imprisonment are also top tracks.  Add it to the collection !!
T.F.G.

Offline EvilPat

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2006, 01:52:48 am »
By no means has The Eye "the weakest story" IMO!
The Eye is really different from the other albums musicwise, and I think it's actually one of the best KD albums...too bad there's actually this drum machine.

The eye is an absolut fantastic album. Buy it! And btw, as King said in an interview: There is no drum-machine, theres an e-drum. Thats a big difference. A drum-machine gets programmed, an e-drum gets played (on that album by Snowy Shaw). Here is an interview with King about this topic:

IRIS: Messiah Marcolin told Bill Zebub that on the album The Eye it’s all a drum machine. A drummer named Chris Hawkins said that the style of drumming didn’t match Snowy Shaw at all.

KING DIAMOND: I wonder what he would know about it since he was not even part of it. He probably has talked to Snowy, and Snowy was like (King imitates Snowy, cracking up Iris again). He was playing on electronic drum pads, and that’s why you hear a very consistent sound.

http://www.thegrimoire.com/king_diamond22.htm

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 06:04:11 pm »
The eye is an absolut fantastic album. Buy it! And btw, as King said in an interview: There is no drum-machine, theres an e-drum. Thats a big difference. A drum-machine gets programmed, an e-drum gets played (on that album by Snowy Shaw). Here is an interview with King about this topic:

IRIS: Messiah Marcolin told Bill Zebub that on the album The Eye it’s all a drum machine. A drummer named Chris Hawkins said that the style of drumming didn’t match Snowy Shaw at all.

KING DIAMOND: I wonder what he would know about it since he was not even part of it. He probably has talked to Snowy, and Snowy was like (King imitates Snowy, cracking up Iris again). He was playing on electronic drum pads, and that’s why you hear a very consistent sound.

http://www.thegrimoire.com/king_diamond22.htm

So it was SUPPOSED to sound like artificial drums?  That was all King's idea?

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 05:11:58 am »
So it was SUPPOSED to sound like artificial drums?  That was all King's idea?
I'm just relieved its not a drum machine