Author Topic: Questions on The Eye  (Read 30288 times)

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
Re: Questions on The Eye
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2006, 05:30:04 am »
I have heard Father Picard many times, love the solo by Pete Blakk along with the keyboards
That's one of KD's finest moments \m/
I'm just relieved its not a drum machine
What does it matter, if you can't tell if it is or if it isn't?

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2006, 05:32:06 am »
I just don't like to think of a metal band with no drummer that's all

Offline TheUnnamedOne

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 06:31:15 am »
Musically this is probobly my favorite KD album together with Abigail, but story-wise, this is one of the weakest albums released by King Diamond (I don't think it's a bad concept, but I think the others are stronger).

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 10:44:30 am »
the eye '   IMO is a really good album,i remember a song that really hit a nerve''2 little girls''when i was younger and not to familiar with KingDiamond,had ' them.,but had not really listen to it much,.but that song got me into king more than ever,remember another first song i liked 'dressed in white''from a comp,then got more into the tape i had of ''them''and it is my top album

Offline Dark eye

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 11:25:02 am »
First time, I don't like this album. Before I haven't listened to it again. I very like this album now. Especcially song "The Eye"!  :king:

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2006, 02:40:35 am »
The eye is not a bad album in my opinion.  In many aspects it captures a certain mood and perhaps a different approach to kings vocals.  With plenty of torrid guitar riffs and solos it is well accompanied by keyboards.  The story line is supposed to be based on actual events.

It tells a tells the story of a witch who was accused and later sentenced to death by burning at the stake there was little to no evidence of witch craft...then again was there ever ? However the witch had a demonic necklace of which two little girls had found.  by some account the necklace found its way into a convent and managed to cause the death of a priest.

That is all that is heard of the necklace itself later in the story a young nun is subjected to deception by a priest named father picard whom has them come to communion naked and he then poisons them with a strange powder which is placed in the altar wine.

Well i don't want to ruin it for you but check it out  :cool:  Stay heavy !
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Dark eye

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2006, 11:45:28 am »
I agree with you, about the keyboards. They're magnificentl!

Offline zemutt

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2006, 09:48:33 pm »
yeah, the keyboards are indeed great... on "behind these walls" especially.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2006, 03:02:12 am »
Very much so indeed the keyboards add a great over all effect to the song behind these walls  \m/  in my opinion kings vocals were the driving force of the album.  What musically was not there was clearly drums though it sounded good the presence of snowy show doing the actual recording and not sending king track work of his playing would have been better... but then again would one change a Picasso ?
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 10:05:00 pm »
Just to put the issue to rest. That is a drum MACHINE used on that recording. It was PROGRAMMED by Snowy Shaw in the studio. The only e-drum used during the recording was when they sampled sounds into the drum MACHINE.

After the fiasco of the "Conspiracy" recordings, when ex-drummer Mikkey Dee was hired back on to play the drum parts in the eleventh hour as a session musician, because Chris Whitemier couldn't lay down the complex patterns, King was freaking about the drum parts for "The Eye". Mikkey Dee was busy with Dokken and King waited too long to find a new drummer. Ultimately there was no time in the studio for "Conspiracy" tour drummer Snowy to set up his kit, mike it and get the tracks down right. The solution was that Snowy programmed a drum machine to at least make it somewhat believable, from a "real" drummer's point of view.

This info is straight from Tomten (Snowy) himself. I talked to him about it both back then, and much later (10 years later actually), when we were hanging out in Gothenburg (many mutual musician friends). If he would have played on that album, actual drums, it would have sounded much different. Believe me. He's a fantastic hard hitting metal drummer with beautiful rhythms, miles away from the crap that ended up on "The Eye".

"The Eye" was the weakest King Diamond album released up to that point in time, but still far surpasses most of what was to come. When Mikkey left it was as if the wind left King's sails and he ran out of ideas. Few people realize what a massive influence Mikkey held in King Diamond, as far as musical arrangement and presentation went. He and Andy was a true musical force together, and King drew from that, and wrote better songs because of it. They actually (gasp) rehearsed back then, as a BAND. Not just sent each other tapes with ideas across the ocean, only to record it in a few days in King's basement. Compare "A Mansion in Darkness" from "Abigail" to its sadly lacking musical counterpart "Mansion in Sorrow" from "Abigail 2". Play the songs back to back and you'll see what I mean. The songwriters are the same (King and Andy), but the oomph and the arrangements are just not there anymore.

It breaks my heart, because King Diamond is, and will always be, my favorite band. But much like the New York Rangers, my favorite hockey team, I am bound for constant diappointments these days.

I actually enjoyed Livia's vocals live, as they kicked the pitch back into overdrive. I hope she doubles up with him on the upcoming album, too.

Sorry to be such a storm crow, people, but I would like nothing better than if King proved me wrong, with this next album, and kicked all the other albums' ass all over the place. Deep down inside I am still hoping...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2006, 10:53:45 pm »
You seem to know a lot about what has gone on in the King Diamond camp over the many various recording sessions and have some interesting insights. However I'd really have to disagree with your assessment of King's more recent albums. Voodoo and House of God were both great albums. The Puppet Master is a fantastic album, King's best in many years.

Offline EvilPat

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2006, 04:17:42 am »
Compare "A Mansion in Darkness" from "Abigail" to its sadly lacking musical counterpart "Mansion in Sorrow" from "Abigail 2". Play the songs back to back and you'll see what I mean. The songwriters are the same (King and Andy), but the oomph and the arrangements are just not there anymore.

THE STORM or THE WHEELCHAIR owns MANSION IN DARKNESS and more songs from Abigail! So your theory is not that perfect, imho, because the arrangements on ABIGAIL II are absolutely perfect.

I think ABIGAIL II would not sound a lot different if they had recorded with Mikkey, because the songs are done by King and Andy. Mikkey and Motorhead are not doing that great these days compared to King Diamond (see all the people at the Zlin show). Maybe thats something Mikkey is pissed about. It's too easy to just say "hey, if I would have played ABIGAL II, it would be a killer record". You know what? It's a killer record without Mikkey! :-)

Some people always stick in the past...

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2006, 07:44:11 am »
THE STORM or THE WHEELCHAIR owns MANSION IN DARKNESS and more songs from Abigail!
Well...that's your opinion... :gah:

Offline grr

• Lady In Black
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2006, 07:54:03 am »
THE STORM or THE WHEELCHAIR owns MANSION IN DARKNESS and more songs from Abigail! So your theory is not that perfect, imho, because the arrangements on ABIGAIL II are absolutely perfect.

I think ABIGAIL II would not sound a lot different if they had recorded with Mikkey, because the songs are done by King and Andy. Mikkey and Motorhead are not doing that great these days compared to King Diamond (see all the people at the Zlin show). Maybe thats something Mikkey is pissed about. It's too easy to just say "hey, if I would have played ABIGAL II, it would be a killer record". You know what? It's a killer record without Mikkey! :-)

Some people always stick in the past...
You can't be serious. I just read the first sentence in your post and realized that you were kidding so I didn't saw any reason to go on reading. Everyone knows that King was better before and Abigail is the best album and "Mansion in Darkness" the best song and so on... Abigail II is probably his worst album (with Graveyard and Spiders Lullabye). It sound not fun at all, just like all his latest works that don't impress on me.
King Diamond and Mercyful Fate Fanclub Sweden

Offline EvilPat

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2006, 09:00:25 am »
You can't be serious. I just read the first sentence in your post and realized that you were kidding so I didn't saw any reason to go on reading. Everyone knows that King was better before and Abigail is the best album and "Mansion in Darkness" the best song and so on... Abigail II is probably his worst album (with Graveyard and Spiders Lullabye). It sound not fun at all, just like all his latest works that don't impress on me.

I'm deadly serious and you know why? Because it's all a matter of taste. And you can't deny that his vocals are better on Abigail II than on Abigail. More choirs and more different voices/singingstyles are on Abigail II (Maybe even the most of all albums). Furthermore the production/sound is way better. You should give Abigail II another try. I, too, needed a few rounds to get into it, but I really think it's better than most fans think of it. It's definitely not "one of his worst", I think.

The songs on Graveyard are great, too, but on that album there is this really annoying drum/bassdrum sound. Imho, it's his worst sounding album.

"Everyone knows that King was better before"
Yeah really? I don't think so...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 09:31:45 am by EvilPat »

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2006, 09:41:24 am »

Me neither. If anything King Diamond's albums have gotten better over the last decade or so.

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2006, 11:47:49 am »
I'm deadly serious and you know why? Because it's all a matter of taste. And you can't deny that his vocals are better on Abigail II than on Abigail. More choirs and more different voices/singingstyles are on Abigail II (Maybe even the most of all albums). Furthermore the production/sound is way better. You should give Abigail II another try. I, too, needed a few rounds to get into it, but I really think it's better than most fans think of it. It's definitely not "one of his worst", I think.

The songs on Graveyard are great, too, but on that album there is this really annoying drum/bassdrum sound. Imho, it's his worst sounding album.

I think Abigail 2 and House Of God are the worst ones, because of some of the vocal-stuff, and the quality of songs. Both have two awesome songs, couple of good songs, and the rest are boring... (Because it's a matter of taste  :fingers: )

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2006, 12:58:37 pm »

I think Abigail 2 and House Of God are the worst ones, because of some of the vocal-stuff, and the quality of songs. Both have two awesome songs, couple of good songs, and the rest are boring... (Because it's a matter of taste  :fingers: )
I disagree. I feel that Abigail 2 and House of God are very strong albums with good songs all the way through. But, that's just me.

Offline grr

• Lady In Black
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 01:11:24 am »
I disagree. I feel that Abigail 2 and House of God are very strong albums with good songs all the way through. But, that's just me.

You could say that about all KD-albums. But now we were getting into which was his worst. Abigail or Abigail II? Ok, everyone except EvilPat and CorpseWithoutASoul and The Mad Finnish know the first one owns the ass of part two (and all other his albums also)...  :fingers:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 02:01:55 am by grr »
King Diamond and Mercyful Fate Fanclub Sweden

Offline Penumbra

• The mother of postwhores!
    • My music
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2006, 01:46:38 am »
Me neither. If anything King Diamond's albums have gotten better over the last decade or so.

I agree :gah:

But as it was said (and well said at that)

Because it's all a matter of taste.

Offline Amon 666

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2006, 03:06:43 am »
You could go on for years arguing which album is best and which is worst... . In my opinion each of his albums added to the development of the band, and I don`t think that there ever was a "worst" album of KD after all. Each album has it`s own style, story, mainparts and highlights, and of course everybody prefers other styles or has his / her favorite songs / albums. For as you sad: It`s all a matter of taste!
"In the darkness we live our lives -
 in the dark we die again...!!!"

Hail to the KING!!!
See you

Offline HalloweenMercyfulFate

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2007, 07:49:32 pm »
Since this is the only KD album I don't have yet I was just looking for a little info, opinions, etc.
:king: It is my Favorite album..It never ever got the promotion the early KD albums got..I dont think King toured the album? I remember seeing King at Maritime hall in 2000 and the band played a few songs from the Eye!!!! :) Killer :king:

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2007, 12:46:04 pm »
King's best album and my favorite album of all time.  \m/

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline GravesiteCamper666

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2007, 07:07:22 pm »
but then again would one change a Picasso ?
Like puzzles done by a blind man, some pieces need to be re-arranged.

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2007, 12:28:22 am »
I managed to use a cheap (more like free) drum program for my album.  I actually managed to fool quite a few people into thinking that it was a real drummer just by them listening alone and no comment from me.  The patterns are much more complex as well, and I'm not even a drummer.

With a professional sounding production and an experienced drummer doing the programming, the drums on the Eye should have sounded a lot better.

There.  I said it.  Remember that this is all my opinion.  Argue, but don't criticize.