Author Topic: Anyone remember Mad Dog / King Diamond Coven ?  (Read 5881 times)

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
Anyone remember Mad Dog / King Diamond Coven ?
« on: November 08, 2006, 03:17:01 am »
Back in '89 or '90 I joined the King Diamond Coven based in Elmendorf, Texas. 

I received several newsletters that had drawings of King from fans around the world.  I recall the newsletters would also list the total count of members from each country around the world and would be amazed that there were fans from China, Iran, and Russia. 

I remember this was around the time King was moving to Texas from Denmark and they wrote one article about how there were these creepy boxes found after moving that had some old master tapes of Mercyful Fate.  Of course, this turned into the Return of the Vampire release.

I remember getting a few phone calls at home from "Mad Dog" talking about all kinds of stuff in regards to King Diamond.  I also remember him telling me about the Return of the Vampire release and then he asked me what I would think about Mercyful Fate getting back together.  He told me that it was in progress and I told all of my friends that listened to this kind of music.  Most of them did not believe me, but it happened not too long after.  I remember "Mad Dog" keeping me on the phone for hours in the middle of the night with stories.

Anyone else a member of the US Coven back then?

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
Re: Anyone remember Mad Dog / King Diamond Coven ?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 08:49:05 pm »
Right here!

I was a member back then and like you talked to Mad Dog on a few ocasions. He was the guy that used to answer the phone whenever you would call in. This was back in '90 right after King had moved to the states. On one special occasion he actually got King on the phone and we spoke together for about 30 or 40 minutes. It was hella cool! I lost touch with the coven after that but now so many years later I often wonder what's up with Mad Dog and if he's still working for the coven.

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 10:40:41 pm »
wow

i wish i could have been a part of that! sounds amazing!

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 12:45:41 pm »
My dad found all of my King Diamond Coven stuff in a box with the letters that Mad Dog wrote me!  He's going to send them to me and I'll get them scanned and posted up here.  I seem to remember a few exclusive interviews in these newsletters and some other interesting tidbits.  There was also a small merchandise section where you could buy lyrics and stuff.  I can't wait to see them again!

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 07:55:49 pm »
I did some more digging around and found out that the letters my Dad has are the ones from the fan club in Europe before they broke off to the US Coven and Europe Coven.  I then located the letters from "Mad Dog" and "Old Man" and they are pretty interesting.  They were dated around April 92.  There are two newsletters and two personal letters to me.  I am going to scan everything and post them on the board for everyone to read.  One of the letters has the "hotline" to call on a certain day between midnight and 1am to talk to them.  You had to identify yourself with a special code number so they knew that you were a member. 

Keep looking here for the scans!

I should get the other letters from my Dad in a few days.  I'm on a business trip for awhile so I'll get to them when I get back.

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 08:39:26 pm »
Sounds great Cornloaf, I'll look forward to that! It's been interesting to read these blasts from the past from you and CorpseWithoutASoul..
-Goat

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 09:22:59 pm »
Yeah it was really cool. It was like here is this metal god talking to me. And he asked me like how I was doing and stuff. That kind of shit doesn't happen very often.

For a minute I felt a little like Wayne from Wayne's World or something

"I'M NOT WORTHY!!!",

but King really is a good conversationalist. He was easy to talk to!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2006, 09:24:46 pm by CorpseWithoutASoul »

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2006, 11:46:59 pm »
Here is the first batch!

http://www.deadagain.com/kingcoven/

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 07:29:44 am »
Here is the first batch!

http://www.deadagain.com/kingcoven/

Just read through them all, great stuff! The King Diamond moving house thing was bizarre!
-Goat

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »
that is totally awsome!

Offline SloJoel

• Emerencia
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 11:48:40 am »
Thanks alot. That is really intersting reading  :gah: Tell us some more stories :)
Dutt Dutt

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 11:00:15 am »
holy shit,those letters are amazing stories!couldn't stop until I read them all :king:
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/