Author Topic: Metallica vs. Mercyful Fate  (Read 22665 times)

Offline Markus

• Possessed
  • I've seen the sickness of all mankind
Re: Metallica vs. Mercyful Fate
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2007, 03:48:54 pm »
It's sad that Metallica covered these songs in 1998, because of how James' vocals were at that time. If they had done them in mid 80's/end of 80's I think he could have lifted their versions of the songs much higher.

So, Mercyful Fate.
Bollnäs Metal Rules!

Offline Grinder

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2007, 05:11:21 pm »
I wonder why Metallica never took MF out on tour with them.  The Black Album and In The Shadows came out right around the same time....it would have been a perfect fit. 

Offline -lg-

• "Grandma"
  • It's a bool! A bad-gunky blood-bool!
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2007, 06:54:19 pm »
I think when they toured the black album, they toured it with Guns N' Roses.  Promoters probably saw that as the bigger draw, since both bands had huge releases at the time.
I'm not positive on this though . . . but I remember seeing the tour shirt, on the front of which was half black album, half illusions.

Offline Greentea

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2007, 08:34:42 pm »
Ya, how well did that tour with Guns N Roses work out back then. What a huge mistake. Everyone in Metallica hates them for that tour. Metallica even opened up for them.

But in the 1980's Metallica to me was a much better band overall...and the self titled album they put out in 91. Most influencial band of the genre of the 80's.

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2007, 10:29:01 pm »
Ya, how well did that tour with Guns N Roses work out back then. What a huge mistake. Everyone in Metallica hates them for that tour.
They hate Axl, just like everybody else, not the whole band.

Offline MyBowelsMoveFreely

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2007, 12:07:27 am »
Metallica seems to take a ton of Internet flack for whom they choose to take on tour (I'm not saying that's the case here.) I too have wondered what the basis behind the decisions are. There's always some clown that says they're "scared" to take (Insert Megadeth, Slayer, etc here) because they'd get blown off the stage. I thought I read Lars saying somewhere that they enjoy bringing younger acts to offer them the exposure that they wanted early in their career. I'd offer my first born to have a Metallica/Mercy or King Diamond roll through town.

Offline insaneman5

• A Family Ghost
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2007, 01:54:59 pm »
i think that mercyful fate would beat every music group in the whole world

Offline Rehabmonster

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2007, 04:54:53 pm »
MF all the way. i dont really care for metallica at all.