Author Topic: What if King Diamond became a Christian?  (Read 85184 times)

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
What if King Diamond became a Christian?
« on: August 09, 2007, 11:46:40 pm »
TOTALLY HYPOTHETICALLY
I was discussing this with a buddy of mine today. Would you still be a fan, even if you found this out? What if his albums showed NO SIGN of relenting or repenting and were just as bad ass as ever, but you heard him say in interviews that he had accepted the Lord as his savior, and the whole Satanism thing was a publicity act.

My friend is a Christian, though very open minded. I am a lapsed Catholic. We both like King Diamond. We both agree that King and Mercyful's music is VERY anti-Roman Catholic, but he points out that many of the lyrics, in his opinion, renounce Catholicism in ways that would be accepted by, say, evangelical Christians. Also he points out that no good fortune ever befalls anyone who "plays with the powers of Hell" in King's lyrics. He says that King is trying to point out to the listener that there is nothing in the shadows but sorrow and pain and death. He sites "The Lady Who Cries" as a prime example. He told me his preacher at his church was going after Lady of Guadalupe phenomena (statues crying etc.) as devil worship and idolatry and madness.

Personally, I can't see this happening in a million years. :king:
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
Re: What if King Diamond became a Christian?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:11:13 am »
He would lose a lot of credibilty to say the least  :P! Personally I couldn't be able to take his work seriously if he became a born-again christian, but I´m sure some church would make a lot of money from it.
It would be a case like Tom Arraya's, although I think Slayer has more anti-christian lyrics than KD has - who deals with it in a more subtle way - I think. Slayer lost something for me when I heard that. I have never thought they were really satanists or something, but anti-religion at least, and writing the stuff they (mostly Kerry King) done as late as their last album - listen to Cult - and their singer then saying he's christian takes away the whole message.
Enough of Slayer, but that example sums up pretty much how I would feel about it.
Then again, the risk of King turning Chrsitian are pretty slim I think!  :)

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 12:51:16 am »
Doesn't matter.

if more bands could be that

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 01:37:22 am »
King has spoke of his personal beliefs in many interviews. As to what if he became a christian...personally religion and music are separate issues.  King believing what he believes and myself believing what i believe have no terms i mean really man King could believe for all i know corn chips are the lord and saviour while i believe different i couldn't judge a man or a band for their belief.

As for a fan of music  either one likes it or don't like it.  For example a picture there are those who find good things about it and bad things believing what their eyes see and what they feel about it.  In music my opinion stands the same despite Kings beliefs i am a fan of his music while i agree seeing a dark image and hearing about Satan and evil in general like anything could influence a image of a person and with that a change in ways would generally be seen as the proverbial term selling out or letting people who believed down.

What if king would do such a thing well to be honest id buy the next album and listen to it if i like it goes into a music collection.   If not would enjoy previous works as i do now and simply say perhaps King wants to take his life and beliefs in another direction and you know what he would still have my respects.

Stay Heavy
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
    • My account in Mikseri.net (in Finnish only)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 05:39:09 am »
Uhh, that would be a pretty bad thing for the listening experience. The old music would remain the same, but then those lyrics would lose a lot of what they used to be. Music isn't just about sounds, it's very much about what kind of feelings it gives, and King's music would lose alot if that occult part of it would be something King doesn't approve anymore. I probably wouldn't completely stop listening to KD and MF, but it would become much less pleasant experience..

I wonder what would happen to his musical career then? He wouldn't play old songs anymore live, stop using his pseudonym, and next albums would be gospel?
The voice of Jouni Mömmö keeps haunting me.

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 06:08:07 am »
I agree with what you're saying Enkeli! As with the example of Slayer, I still listen to their records and they still sound as good, but something in the experience is lost when the artists prove to be more surface than substance. Of course death metal bands can't go butcher people and stuff as they sing about, but that's another ball game. And if Cannibal Corpse are born-again Christians I'd be surprised! Bottom line:
Too many things are fake these days - previously "anti-christ" metal bands being Christian, tits of silicon, wine in a fucking box!!!

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 06:42:17 am »
What does King Diamond's religious beliefs have anything to do with the quality of his music?  WTF?   :gah:  He could become a Catholic Priest and I'd still fuckin listen to him. 

every thing that has nipples

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 07:19:13 am »
King has said hundreds of times that his music is 100% part of his beliefs and that they are one and the same and that his heart is put into both, so if it turned out to be fake all of this time it would ruin it for everyone.  I remember loving the fact that King turned out to be a REAL Satanist and not a fake like other bands like Slayer, Venom, etc.  It made him more real knowing that he actually meant what he says in his songs and that he stood up for it.  I think that is why people like him and Marilyn Manson did get invited to meet Anton LaVey because he could see who was for real and who was a fake.  You wouldnt believe how many people I meet and work with who are members of the Church of Satan because they discovered Satanism thanks to King Diamond and that it changed their whole lives for the better.  Luckily we all know that King will never become a jesus freak, his beleifs have been way to strong.  Plus as he has said himself, his belief about jesus is that he was not one man but several different people who existed long ago that were rolled into one because of the way that he believes the holy bible was really written.
I do wish that a book would be written about him like they are doing with Dani Filth.  Could you imagine King talking about his beleifs and ALL of his supernatural experiences that have been going on for years.  Not to mention he could discuss his Satanic Beliefs and ritual practices which he has done some of over the years. And his meetings with LaVey other COS members over the years that he has met!  Hopefully someday.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 08:16:19 am »
What does King Diamond's religious beliefs have anything to do with the quality of his music?  WTF?   :gah:  He could become a Catholic Priest and I'd still fuckin listen to him. 

very well said! those are my sentiments exactly. regardless of his beliefs, King is an outstanding songwriter, musician, and performer......he'd have to be a really weak-minded guy to allow a change of faith to influence his music to any real extent. I do think it's an interesting question, but I just can't see how it would really matter at all with regard to his music.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 08:34:13 am »
If King did start singing about jesus I guarentee his CD sales would die!
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 09:47:49 am »
agreed.....but I think a point worth considering is that just because someone's a Christian doesn't mean that it will reflect in their music. I've been a Christian all of my life and a songwriter/musician for most of it. never once have I ever written anything that even implies my own personal theological beliefs. in fact, most of it is fairly dark and creepy. I don't think that if I was to turn my back on my current beliefs and adopt new ones that it would affect my music writing at all.

I've told friends of mine on many occasions that if King was to sing about flowers and puppies and fawns frolicking in a sunny glade that I'd still love the music. the 'horror show' aspect of the presentation and the creepy stories just happen to play to my personal tastes, making the music even more enjoyable to me.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2007, 09:56:12 am »
If King did start singing about jesus I guarentee his CD sales would die!
He most likely wouldnt even if he became Christian.  But honestly there is some older Christian metal out there that sounds really good regardless of what they are talking about...Deliverence, Believer, etc. 

every thing that has nipples

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
    • My account in Mikseri.net (in Finnish only)
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 11:10:27 am »
Some people can listen to just music, alright, but for me that is not enough, I need some special feeling around the whole band. That's the reason I can't listen to bands like Iron Maiden or Judaspriest, music's alright but when there are bands like King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Thergothon, Unholy and so on, I don't see any reason to listen to something less. Without the occultism around KD, it would be very much the same as IM, and well, that's not enough for me. It would be really sad, as in my mind those old albums would lose alot too.. Umm, maybe I can't explain it any better than that, understand it or not. It wouldn't be the same band I fell in love with.

I do wish that a book would be written about him like they are doing with Dani Filth.  Could you imagine King talking about his beleifs and ALL of his supernatural experiences that have been going on for years.  Not to mention he could discuss his Satanic Beliefs and ritual practices which he has done some of over the years. And his meetings with LaVey other COS members over the years that he has met!  Hopefully someday.

Yay, that's a cool idea! A book I would kill for  :gah:
The voice of Jouni Mömmö keeps haunting me.

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 12:10:33 pm »
As to what if he became a christian...personally religion and music are separate issues. 
Exactly.  I could care less.  I've loved King for as long as I can remember (my parents listened to it).  I just love the music put out by both KD and MF, regardless of the topics being addressed.  Maybe the Satanic references make it more interesting, I don't know.  I do know that when people hear all that Satanic music coming out of my car in the parking lot of the Catholic college I attend they give me strange looks.  lol  That won't keep me from listening to it though.

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 01:55:22 pm »
I am a WITCH!! I say that with pride. I do not hide it, and am always happy to anser any questions about it. I am also a song writer. I have written over 600 songs. I have written songs like Crown Of Thorns (about the life of Jesus) I have also written songs like Behold The Beast Arise In Flames ( About The lies of Christianity) Songs are best when they are truly inspired by something. No matter what your religious beliefs, Like the new KD album. From what I have read the entire album was inspired by the Painting that became the album cover. So what if KING became Christian, well I believe that KING is more true to his beliefs than that. I think, like alot of us, He came to believe what He does after alot of experience and soul searching as to what felt right to Him. would His albums still rock? Does The Pope Shit In The Woods? Of course His albums would still rcok...HE WILL ALWAYS BE KING!!! :king:
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2007, 02:13:59 pm »
As long as there are falsetto vocals and Andy La Rocque, I don't give a shit what he sings about, God or Satan. \m/ Besides, Christian people can also make horror stories. :gah:

Offline Spiderlady

• You Are "9"
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 04:16:58 pm »
  He could become a Catholic Priest and I'd still fuckin listen to him. 

it certainly would make going to church a helluva lot more fun.

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2007, 06:23:52 pm »
Besides, Christian people can also make horror stories. :gah:

They have a collective, it's called "The Bible"  :D
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline bradtech

• Spirit
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2007, 07:32:59 pm »
I would not care if he became a Christian.  I used to be a Christian, and believed in God.  I think it's a personal matter, and I would still listen to his work, and enjoy it regardless.  I will always love Rock/Metal, and I think his music is superb regardless of his personal beliefs.
 :king:

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 12:03:35 am »
I can't imagine his beliefs changing the quality of any horror stories he would put out.  Wasn't it Christians who made movies like The Exorcist, Poltergeist 1&2, etc.?

One big problem, though, is that I'd never be able to listen to songs like The Oath, Angel of Light, and Satan's Fall ever again.  Because everytime I do, I'd listen to those lyrics and wonder how in the hell King lost his logic that he had back in those days.  You know, the intelligent world view of the scholarly Satanist.  Not to say Christians are stupid  :D

But basically the lyrics would become meaningless for me in the Mercyful Fate songs, because they have inspired my ideas that I live by everyday.

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 12:37:23 am »
Doesn't matter.

yeah, whatever makes him happy.  I really don't see his lyrics as something he believes, it is just something he has an interest in and is writing a story about it.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2007, 06:33:59 am »
Doesn't matter.
I agree. The music is whats important.
I personally don't care what King's beliefs are and I don't really think they are my business anyway.

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2007, 11:02:27 am »
Did you see Bradtech's avatar? You see it's not just me, it's not just me I tell ya!!! Hey brad check out MY Blades Moment In Time Thread.
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2007, 11:30:26 am »
Luckily his beliefs will not change.  Myself and so many others I have talked to LOVE the fact that his lyrics are about his beliefs and experiences with the unknown forces and his ritual practices.  It is artists like him that are more enjoyable who really believe what they are singing.  Just like other real Satanic Bands like Acheron, Electric Hellfire Club, Lucifer, Marilyn Manson, Etc Etc.  But the fake bands who do it because it sells and have never practiced any of it makes them seem cheap and less enjoyable.

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2007, 01:43:13 am »
the way I see it, I highly doubt his subject matter would change. King does not necessarily/never believe in killing babies, crucifying/raping nuns, burying little girls alive to get back at someone, breaking glass and feeding it to someone, etc. His lyrics are not necessarily things that he takes part in. Don't get me wrong, one of the number one things I'm interested in, is where artists get their inspiration from, what makes them think of the things they do, so no, only the music doesn't do it for me, I need that special feeling. But I do not think that King's feeling would at all be changed if he were to turn christian.

can I get an amen

if more bands could be that