Author Topic: Mercyful Fate song "The Witch"  (Read 12176 times)

Offline Jackal

• Just A Shadow
Mercyful Fate song "The Witch"
« on: November 13, 2006, 06:08:02 PM »
So, I've been hearing vague reports over the years about a Mercyful Fate song called "The Witch".

According to numerous people, it was on a demo. Musically it was either "Melissa" or a completly different song that was never used again.

However lyrically it is supposidly the first "Melissa" song. I heard that either it was an old version of Melissa with a slight few changes, and I've also heard that it has completly different lyrics. The completly different lyircal version had King explaining how and why he killed Melissa - in two versions I've heard ( though very vague ) he's either the priest or the same role in the song "Melissa", only he had to kill Melissa for some reason.

Anyway, no one who was into MF at that time that I know can give me good details, and none say that they still have the demo.

If anyone has any information or if the above is complete bollocks and there is no "The Witch", I'd be very greatful.

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
Re: Mercyful Fate song "The Witch"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »
There deffinetily is 'The Witch'. King introduces the song saying "I once had a girlfriend, she was called Melissa. She was a witch, a real witch. Now she's dead, I killed her...Next song is called The Witch, it's about her."

The song doesn't sound like Melissa at all, but it has a riff from A Corpse Without Soul :)

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 10:11:42 AM »
As far as I know it´s only available on one recorded Live Performance from 1981 (It´s said that it was the first Mercyful Fate gig - but I´m not sure because it was in Denmark and King talks english not danish....) - but it´s an early version of Melissa - maybe someone can figure out the lyrics....

The other unreleased song on that Bootleg was called The Sabbath Of All Witches....
I think it was released on those Bootlegs (all has the same recording): Live In Taastrup, Denmark (First Gig) and Walking Back To Hell
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 02:17:47 PM by Bloodfreak »

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:41:35 PM »
id love to hear this

if more bands could be that

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 01:02:11 AM »
First of all, what ever happened to Ripper? Ripper Bendix and I and some others once had this project were we were going to figure out the lyrics to the rare songs. I played the Witch song over and over again trying to make out the lyrics. I think I got at least half of it right, I saved the topic but I don't know were it is.

I don't think there was a demo of it, but there could have been...there are at least five Brats demo songs that have not been released on bootleg and one Mercyful Fate song called "Running Away"....any one of those could have been an even earlier version of The Witch or had least had some parts in there.

Here is what we know exist:

The Witch: version 1 from the first MF show in 1981. Truly an amazing song, it has part of the Doomed By The Living Dead riff in it, but it is really a completely different song. The drama in King's singing is really something else and the guitar solo is so sad and beautiful. It's a shame that this version was not given a clean, clear studio recording.

The Witch: version 2 from Denmark, March 7, 1982. Music is completely different, and the lyrics are different too....the only thing that is the same is the Witch/Melissa theme. The music this time is an early version of the song Melissa, but with different and extended parts, especially the vocals. And there is a MASSIVE Uriah Heep influence here.  \m/
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »
is there anywhere I could download this? maybe someone could sent it to me on aim?

if more bands could be that

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2006, 02:32:40 PM »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »
I could put it up on rapidshare or something for everyone to download, but I am not sure what the status is of the "no posting bootleg recordings" rule from the previous board???

leecordine

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »
I have that demo its called house of satan, and i have some very rare outakes as well of hank and micheal going through the melissa song (just the guitar tracks) I also own shadow nights. these were given to me by a guy I used to work with turns out he's the editor of the grimoure or something like that.. bill zebub..

Offline leevil

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 06:45:03 AM »
sorry about that mis info the witch is on shadow nights not house of satan

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 09:30:30 AM »
I dug up my Shadow Nights cd this morning. Hadn't listened to it in years and completely forgot about these songs.  :-[
It's a compilation of live tracks from different shows, so I'm not sure when and where each one comes from.
Now, thanks to Count Jonah, I know about the version of The Witch. It's the one with the Doomed by the living Dead part in it, so it must be from the first show.
There is also one called Nightmares (not Nightmare from DBTO). I'd love to have more info on this one
And Shadow Nights, which was another surprise to hear. Just what are those songs? They're good btw.
I also have another boot with rare stuff (forget the title - I'm at work). I'll dig it up tonight and list the "exclusive" tracks it has.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 10:07:14 AM by Beelzebub »
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:25:04 AM »
Once there was a homepage which listed all MF songs from the first 5 years but it´s not online anymore...here´s the list (I saved it on my harddisk):

A Corpse without Soul (Originally titled "A Corpse Without A Soul")
A Dangerous Meeting
At the Sound of the Demon Bell
Black Funeral
Burning the Cross
Combat Zone
Come To the Sabbath
Curse of the Pharaohs 
Death Kiss (Became a part of "Walking Back To Hell")
Desecration of Souls
Devil Eyes
Doomed By the Living Dead
Evil
Fighting For the Knighthood
Gypsy 
Hard Rocker (Actually titled "Not Amusing")
Immigrant song (A cover of the Led Zeppelin classic)
Into the Coven
Killed For Love 
Leave My Soul Alone (Actually titled "Killed For Love")
Love Criminals (Became a part of "Into the Coven")
Melissa
Mission Destroy Aliens
Night of the Unborn
Nightmare 
Nightriders (Became a part of "Curse of the Pharaohs")
Not Amusing
Nuns Have No Fun 
On A Night of Full Moon  (Became a part of "Desecration of Souls")
Persecution 
Powers of Darkness (Became a part of "Return of the Vampire")
Return of the Vampire
Running Away 
Running Free (Actually titled "Killed For Love")
Satan's Fall 
Shadow Night (Only performed live)
Some Day (Became a part of "On A Night of Full Moon")
Sometimes You're Deadly
The Oath 
The Sabbath of All Witches (Only performed live)
The Witch (Only performed live, became Melissa)
To One Far Away
Truckrider 
Walking Back To Hell (Became a part of "A Dangerous Meeting")
Welcome Princes of Hell (Listed as "Welcome Princess of Hell")
You asked for it (Became a part of "Black Masses")

Some of the songs I´ve never found anywhere (Fighting The Knighthood, Running Away, Sometimes You´re Deadly, Powers Of Darkness and Immigrant Song) - I think they only did them on rehearsals....maybe someone knows something about them...

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »
Thanks for the list Bloodfreak.

Funny thing is that "Nightmare" song that is on the Shadow Nights boot is not the same as the DBTO song. I wonder if it's the correct title. King does sing it in the chorus and it would make sense, but who knows.

I just dug up my other one. It's called "The Lost Tapes", but I don't have anything written down for what it contains. I just got home and am tired and going to bed (Yeah, I'm an old geezer  ::) ) So I'll give it a listen tomorrow morning in the car on the way to work and I'll try to find which songs are on it from that list.

stay tuned!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 02:30:22 PM »
Ok, the lost tapes has a song called "Evil Lord" but it's credited to Black Rose, yet not on the 20 years ago cd. I wonder if it's true since it sounds alot like the intro to Melissa. And the track "Persecution" which is not that good!
As for the Nightmare song, I also have it from a 1982 boot from Copenhagen, and is titled Dangerous Nightmare. The Kisswacks concert list has this for an explanation:"Alternative title of an early version of "Nightmare". (Which was, after all, completely different than the final one.)"  :gah:

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 09:49:28 PM »
The song Evil Lord is from a band called Heavy Load and has nothing to do with King or Black Rose. I guess the bootleggers thought it sounded enough like Mercyful Fate/King, and was obscure enough to pass off as an old Black Rose song, but it's not.  :gah:

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »
The song Evil Lord is from a band called Heavy Load and has nothing to do with King or Black Rose. I guess the bootleggers thought it sounded enough like Mercyful Fate/King, and was obscure enough to pass off as an old Black Rose song, but it's not.  :gah:
Really? :gah:

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 03:18:34 AM »
King stated in an interview that EVIL LORD is definately not a Mercyful Fate song - he doesn´t knew it...

I also know that version from Copenhagen "DANGEROUS NIGHTMARE" - it´s really different than the version on Don´t Break The Oath!

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 07:01:49 AM »
I have that song "not the DBTO-Nightmare" So it's the same version as "Dangerous Nightmare" right?

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 08:26:32 AM »
I have that song "not the DBTO-Nightmare" So it's the same version as "Dangerous Nightmare" right?
Yup!
And by the way King introduces the song, with the band tuning up, I can say it's the same version on Return of the Living Dead (Copenhagen 82-10-05) and the Shadow Nights comp boot.

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Yup!
And by the way King introduces the song, with the band tuning up, I can say it's the same version on Return of the Living Dead (Copenhagen 82-10-05) and the Shadow Nights comp boot.
Ok. I just notest that I actually have that "Return Of The Living Dead". It's just that it's part of the cd called "House Of Satan". (Other than 7 live songs, there's also 7 demos). On this cd, the song is actually titeled "Nightmare" on it BTW. :D So there must be a lots of different kind of releases of all this old demo- and livestuff, and song have different names and stuff.  :gah:

Offline TheMadArab

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31:31 AM »
Some of the songs I´ve never found anywhere (Fighting The Knighthood, Running Away, Sometimes You're Deadly, Powers Of Darkness and Immigrant Song) - I think they only did them on rehearsals....maybe someone knows something about them...

Looks like maybe they turned up...

https://youtu.be/EkrgwPliWK8

:king:

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
I'd LOVE to hear Immigrant Song played by Mercyful Fate! Do they ever recorded or published that cover?