Author Topic: Abigail II...what do you think?  (Read 56161 times)

Offline Greentea

• Up From The Grave
Abigail II...what do you think?
« on: September 08, 2007, 11:15:26 am »
I really hate to say this because I'm in process of getting all the King Diamond cd's and after getting Abigail II I have 3 more to get.....just ordered Them.

So far I've listened to this album 5 times and honestly I wasn't totally expecting this album to be on of his better ones from what I read on here though the Amazon.com reviews where I have been buying all the cd's from seem to really like it. This album to me is pretty bad. Seems like a big slur of music with guitar riffs that go back and forth aimlessly and most every other part of the music structures are flat out boring. After listening to this I can tell where the Puppet Master sound came from. Of course two total different albums obviously but to me I heard where it sounds like some of the guitar parts from that album and the overall feel though I think Puppet Master is a good/ok album.
As for the story of this album where as the first one was so detailed and the songs fit the story so well I can't follow the story in this as well and is not very interesting. Really, I don't know why this album was necessary or why the story even needed to be continued. I may be able to find 1 or 2 ok songs on this album but for the most part I thought this was pretty downright bad.
Curious what everyone's though is on this album.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
Re: Abigail II...what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 02:09:33 pm »
I can relate to what you have said.
IMO, its definitely my least favorite album.
I just find it a bit boring.
But its still OK.
I often put this album on while I go to sleep.
I also am not to impressed with the idea of a sequel to Abigail. I would have rather heard a fresh story.

Offline baneful

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 02:28:48 pm »
I love it, I listened to it many times before I read a review and guess I never had a bias to it (not that you did Greentea). The first few songs really kick and the first time I heard O'brien again I got chills. I always like sequels, it's kinda like hearing an old 'music friend' again (does that make sense?) Just keep in mind King has always put alot into his craft, and seeing the songs live always puts them in perspective too.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 02:37:03 pm »
The songs from this album sound much better live I think.

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 07:05:58 pm »
I've always liked it myself, but a wide diversity in opinion over which albums are better or worse doesn't really surprise me anymore.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:03:27 pm »
When the album was first released, I liked it simply because the production was superior to that on the previous four albums. The rythym guitars regained some of the crunch they were missing, and you could really hear the effort put into the vocal harmonies ('Mansion in Sorrow, Mansion in the Dark!'). Some of the songs were also more complex & reminiscent of the old days (Slippery Stairs is my favourite, followed by Spirits).

I still think these are valid points, but I don't like the album as much as I did. Since it's called Abigail 2, people were rightly expecting the song-writing to be more in the style of A Mansion in Darkness or other classics. No! It's got lots of chord-heavy (Miriam :( ) or simply boring riffs (verse in Broken Glass) which GMYSP largely avoids - the latter having far more melodic riffs and energy in the songs. I see Abby 2 as a turning point for the better, but not a strong album compared to what had come before (in the 80s).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 10:08:53 pm by paulcoz »
Paulcoz.

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
    • My account in Mikseri.net (in Finnish only)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 06:21:44 am »
I'm still missing Abby II  :( I got The Graveyard on this week, after seeing a dream about it where I was totally in love with it - and it didn't lie! It is way better album than I thought after hearing a lot of negative reviews and opinions about it. It's darker and sicker than anything I've heard. But the strange thing is that if I listen to it through my mp3 player, I get physically quite bad feeling. I've heard that some frequencies can make you feel so when they're heard together and especially through headphones, is it possible that when I've transferred The Graveyard to mp3 form to get it into my player, there would appear these kinds of frequencies, or is there just something wrong with me?

But I'm wondering if Abigail II will be way better than people say like The Graveyard has been for me  :)
The voice of Jouni Mömmö keeps haunting me.

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 11:42:07 am »
I definitely agree that this album is pretty boring, besides The Wheelchair and Mommy, Both of those songs blow me away. But other than that I simply cannot get into it.

if more bands could be that

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 09:11:02 am »
I love this album. It has a vibe that fits very well and i really like the keyboard work and the "little one" charecter. The only thing i did not like about the ablum was that we found out Jonathan did not die. It sort of kills the mystique of the first ablum. Now when i listen to Abigail and jonathan gets pushed down the stairs i am like "damnit, he doesn't die" which was a perfect ending to the first album. So i like the album but it changes abit about the first album which i don't like

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 12:05:40 pm »
It is a hell of a lot better than his new release "Give me your soul, please"  that is for sure!
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 11:27:24 pm »
If only I knew you were going to go out and buy that release.  Whenever I introduce someone to King (or if it's an old fan who didn't know he was still making music), I make sure that they NEVER buy that album.  It's better than a lot of other generic power/trad albums, but that just doesn't cut it.

Offline Follow the wolf

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 11:49:19 am »
Some of the songs were also more complex & reminiscent of the old days (Slippery Stairs is my favourite)

Totally agree with that, but otherwise i think it's an average album if you compare to the other KD-releases.
I also agree that the A-II songs sounds better live.
Doomsday infections, in their heads, and in their minds.

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 12:43:09 pm »
Abigail 2 is definately NOT one of my favorite CD's. That being said, it's release did inspire me to buy it and get back into King after a lengthy break and buy the releases that I had missed. I hadn't bought a KD/MF release after Spider's Lullabye came out.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 05:12:10 pm »
I prefer Abigail over Abigail II.  I am not "disappointed" with the release, but I think I was expecting more because of the original Abigail.  I definitely don't listen to Abigail II as often as Abigail, and the songs do sound a hell of a lot better live.

Offline frosty the Heineken

• Spirit
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 01:44:14 am »
Miriam really stands out above the rest. The other tunes are kind of so so, except Mansion in Darkness which gets a nod. This is one of the those "has to grow on me" albums, instead of instant love, however, and my least favorite. Abigail #1 was love at first listen, and ranks up there with the top metal albums period.  :king: As was the Eye and Conspiracy. Even Them took a few listens for me, but it ended up as one of my favorites, especially for the guitar leads. House of God has a similar production sound as Abigail II, and that one took some listens, and now sounds pretty good. I can't figure it out, I wonder why it takes time for some albums to sound supreme and the others are instant. Fatal Portrait has kind of a dated production sound (still sounds great of course), but some classics on there I loved instantly, like The Candle, the Jonah, and Lurking in the Dark. I'm gonna give Abigail II another spin tomorrow.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 05:19:21 am »
I wonder why it takes time for some albums to sound supreme and the others are instant.
Ya I know what you mean. The new album, GMYSP sounded good to me right away.
But Abigail 2 if I remember took a few listens to get to know.

Offline King Of Diamonds

• Possessed
  • I am many...We are one... The HIGHEST!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 08:34:55 am »
absolutely LOVE this album. One of my all time favorites. Better than the original. :cool:

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 09:39:35 am »
I still feel that Abigail King Diamond's finest work and cannot be topped so to compare it against it makes the album look bad but to look at it on it's own i think it is a great album. I love all the songs

Offline Sebek1777

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 03:23:02 am »
I put Abigail II in the top 5 of best KD albums. Songs like The Wheelchair, Spirits, Miriam, etc are all great songs.

Offline skeezix

• Unclean Spirit
  • Holy god... what manmade pharms can do to you...
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 03:51:20 pm »
I just bought this cd (again)..... the first time i bought it, i was pretty disappointed, because like everyone else i was expecting Abigail all over again. i don't think anything will ever top Abigail though.
anyways, i like this cd ALOT more now then i did the first time i bought it... im starting to really dig it.
-Skee :king:

Offline Zombie

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • Those now eating, will soon be eaten.
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 11:44:22 am »
so the question still is... "What do i think"
Well beats 99% of the all other metal albums, but in my, and i'll repeat, in my opinion, is one of the "weakest" King albums! and thats that...
29.4.2006 Pakkahuone -Tampere-Finland
28.6.2013 Tuska Open Air -Helsinki-Finland

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2007, 12:39:25 pm »
It's an album I've never really gotten into to be honest.... I dunno what it is about it...i cant get hooked on the songs really, the only song I enjoy is 'A Mansion In Sorrow' and that's through Deadly Lullabyes Live, which is an amazing cd.
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline La Reymie

• Ghost of Change
    • (glad to live in) DeepShit
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 02:12:32 pm »
I just bought this cd (again)..... the first time i bought it, i was pretty disappointed, because like everyone else i was expecting Abigail all over again. i don't think anything will ever top Abigail though.
anyways, i like this cd ALOT more now then i did the first time i bought it... im starting to really dig it.
-Skee :king:

Do you buy an album each time you want to listen to it?

Abigail II is also my least favourite, but for each album, some like, and some don't, so why rely on the comments before buying?

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2007, 02:50:37 pm »
I liked Abigail two a lot.  I am glad that it wasn't like the original, that would have been dissappointing.  I agree that some albums you have to listen to over and over again to sometimes really get into them.  The new album I have already tried about 30 times though and I still cannot get into any part of it at all.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline La Reymie

• Ghost of Change
    • (glad to live in) DeepShit
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 09:42:29 am »
I listened to Abigail II yesterday, at least it's the last albums some high falsettos.