Author Topic: Abigail II...what do you think?  (Read 53428 times)

Offline DarkLordNick666

• Haunted
  • Having fun? I know I am!
Re: Abigail II...what do you think?
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2012, 04:32:59 pm »
I like it, but then again, I like them all.
The only light inside this tomb is coming from so high above us!

Offline frezal

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2012, 03:13:21 am »
Musically, I think Abigail II is spectacular. The theatrics are right up there with the original, and the vocals are great. The problem for me lies in the lyrics. I don't feel as though a sequel was warranted, nor do I feel as though this story makes too much sense. I'll buy that Jonathan LaFey went nuts after witnessing the demonic possession in the original, but I think it's a bit of a stretch for him to assume the character traits of Count de LaFey.

That said, "Spirits" is wonderful.

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2012, 08:12:55 am »
I have not listened to Abigail II in a few years so I decided to give it a listen in my current setting of London.  I was walking around the other night after work and cutting through some narrow streets, alleys, and under brick bridges to get back to my hotel and it definitely had the right atmosphere for my evening.  I have the last couple songs to listen to tonight when I walk back to the hotel.  It's definitely a new appreciation for this album!

Offline toxic_trace68

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2012, 07:52:18 am »
I really hate to say this because I'm in process of getting all the King Diamond cd's and after getting Abigail II I have 3 more to get.....just ordered Them.

So far I've listened to this album 5 times and honestly I wasn't totally expecting this album to be on of his better ones from what I read on here though the Amazon.com reviews where I have been buying all the cd's from seem to really like it. This album to me is pretty bad. Seems like a big slur of music with guitar riffs that go back and forth aimlessly and most every other part of the music structures are flat out boring. After listening to this I can tell where the Puppet Master sound came from. Of course two total different albums obviously but to me I heard where it sounds like some of the guitar parts from that album and the overall feel though I think Puppet Master is a good/ok album.
As for the story of this album where as the first one was so detailed and the songs fit the story so well I can't follow the story in this as well and is not very interesting. Really, I don't know why this album was necessary or why the story even needed to be continued. I may be able to find 1 or 2 ok songs on this album but for the most part I thought this was pretty downright bad.
Curious what everyone's though is on this album.

First off, I was really happy that King decided to continue the Abigail story, like the THEM story. I thought that the music was really good for the songs presented, but lets not forget that the music is just the background elements and that it's King's wonderful falsetto voice that projects the story to us.  \m/ :fingers:
In Satan We Trust 666

Offline Tennissko

• Holy Shrine
  • Yup, that's that Gwar-guy, and some ugly swede...
« Reply #154 on: November 20, 2012, 11:33:15 pm »
It's complex, it's intriguing and holy fuck does King do some serious voice-acting on this one. Great album!
Å, Nangilima! Ja, Jonatan, ja, jag ser ljuset! Jag ser ljuset!

Offline RipperBendix

• Global Moderator
    • Mah Band
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2012, 01:01:52 am »
I just finished listening to Abigail one and two back to back and must say that I still love the album. As mentioned earlier here, the musicmanship is spectacular. I agree with the plot being hard to follow here and there but I have studied English literature (SCIENCE!!) and enjoy the whole connections in the plot immensely. It is like a gothic novel pushed to the max until the knob falls off. The plot and ghostly encounters are not even half as weird as the stuff you'd find in classics as Castle Of Otranto, The Monk or even the victorian spoof goth horror book Nightmare Abbey. Almost all of them include rape end even weirder spooks (extremely huge knight's armor for example). What i am trying to say is, Abby II is a worthy sequel full of cross references (Abigail leitmotif in that damn solo, uuuurrrgh shivers down my spine) and in the same vein as victorian gothic horror novels. Overall a 4 out of 5 and WELL worth digging your teeth into.
-This space for rent-

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »
I knew that given time ....people would come around to this album . Great to see that people are finally giving it a second chance after discounting it upon first listen . I think King knew he had to do something spectacular to come back and do a sequel to the original . I like to put headphones on and totally immerse myself into this one as it has so many different things and sounds /instruments along with his vocals in top form in the story.  :king:  Broken Glass !!!! \m/ \m/ and Slippery Stairs!!  \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/  Love this story! :cool:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2012, 06:13:56 am »
Quote from: RipperBendix
The plot and ghostly encounters are not even half as weird as the stuff you'd find in classics as Castle Of Otranto, The Monk or even the victorian spoof goth horror book Nightmare Abbey.

You read The Monk? I'm impressed!  :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 06:15:49 am by paulcoz »
Paulcoz.

Offline evilmessenger91

• Possessed
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2012, 05:36:53 pm »
I think it's a fantastic album! Great sound and I love the tiny references King uses. Like 'The Eye' is the necklace on mummified Abigail. And 'Lucy' was mentioned. Also has anyone else noticed the guitar in 'Mommy' sound almost identical to a guitar bit in 'At the Graves'?! :D
OHHH VICTORIA NO!!!

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2013, 08:46:59 pm »
It seems as though this album might not have been received as other KD releases. Of course I absolutely dug this album and was pleasantly surprised when King revealed more of the tale of Abigail and Johnathan La Fey. The production is very crisp and everything is mixed perfectly on the album. IMO it truly was one of the best sounding albums in many years for KD at that point in their career.

It has many classic tracks including The Storm, Miriam, More Than Pain, the utterly fantastic Spirits, and the truly haunting song Mommy

I was just wondering why it is that this release is not as well regarded as others by KD.

Offline Chagosomar

• Angel Of Light
  • "Moonchild!!! Hear the mandrake scream!"
    • Deadly Fujow. A dark ambient project
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2013, 09:08:44 am »
Hmm I'm still not sold on the album as a whole. Some good stuff, but it just doesn't do it for me.

Offline Necrolust

• Mad Arab
  • Son Of Northern Darkness
« Reply #161 on: April 30, 2013, 08:18:50 am »
Hmm I'm still not sold on the album as a whole. Some good stuff, but it just doesn't do it for me.

If the story would've been a different one, one to stand alone so to speak, I think it would rank up higher for me. Abigail is impossible to beat.

By no means a bad album, I don't think it's possible for King to put out bad music.  :king:
Evig er kampen mod lyset!!!

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: April 30, 2013, 08:23:45 am »
I love this CD. It has some strong songwriting, killer riffs and I love how tight the band sounds (considering this is a new lineup from other albums).

While I'm just a little "meh" on the continuation of the Abigail story, I think the music itself outshines any shortcomings from the the story itself. However, I think musically it is an awesome continuation, and I love how elements from the first can be found in some of the melodies, drum fills, and solos.

This is one of those albums that the more I listen, the more I like.

And Spirits is just an awesome fucking song.  \m/

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2013, 04:50:03 pm »
Give it a few more spins and I bet it will grow on ya ! :king: It really is good stuff and a solid album . King did some great role playing on this one .
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Offline fatekingfate

• Salem
    • Bloody Face (official band website)
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2013, 02:10:54 pm »
LITTLE ONE!!   \m/  nuff said, and the entire album is cold, dark and full of amazing stuff!!   :)  :cool: