Author Topic: Abigail II...what do you think?  (Read 58903 times)

Offline shadowrun443

• Just A Shadow
Re: Abigail II...what do you think?
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2007, 08:58:22 pm »
Well you know how it goes...Abigail was probably THE best album the King ever did, so the sequel had to be a blunder.

Make a third, it will probably be somewhere in between.

Latest I heard was from "Give me your soul...please" and I thought it was pretty good. (College Radio FTW!)

I say make a continuation of "Charon" in the future, do a whole "Welcome to Hades" thing, since Charon was definitely a good single.

Offline janiperta

• Mandrake
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2007, 08:32:03 am »
I think I'll have a word too. I have always thought this is by far the worst thing he ever did. Well maybe Spider's Lullabye is on the same line, but comparing this to classics in the 80s or 90s masterpieces Graveyard and House Of God, or to the latest Puppetmaster and Give me Your Soul, this leaves far behind. Spirits is the one song that has the KD feeling in it, others just don't seem to have a point. No clear structure in the songs, and most of the melodies just are boring. I've had a similar relationship to this one than MFs Dead Again. Dead Again gave me a feeling that this is all over, for good, when it was released. And this album gives me a feeling that maestro has lost his touch. Latest masterpieces show that this wasn't the case, but I still don't like to listen to it...

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2007, 04:51:36 pm »
Anyone else agree that this album probably delivers better live? I never paid too much attention to songs like Mansion In Sorrow until hearing it live in 2003.

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2007, 07:15:58 pm »
Anyone else agree that this album probably delivers better live? I never paid too much attention to songs like Mansion In Sorrow until hearing it live in 2003.

I agree, 100%. This album comes alive in a live setting, the production doesn't do it justice. Which in my eyes is the only flaw on this otherwise, stellar album.

Are there any live versions of Abigail II songs out there other than the ones on Deadly Lullabyes?

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2007, 07:33:50 pm »
I don't think so. The track listing on Deadly Lullabyes is exactly the same list he played on the first leg of TPM tour.

Online johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2007, 11:22:06 am »
There are some pretty good songs and some boring fillers. Just like on the new album.
I can't help myself but when I listen to the old albums, I love them from start to finish.

Offline Inquisitor

• Unborn
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2008, 06:07:13 pm »
I rather enjoy Abigail II.  I like it better than The Graveyard or Voodoo, but then again, I don't think any of KD's catalog is bad. 

I love Mommy and The Crypt immensely, and to me they sound like extensions of the first Abigail.  Each KD has it's own bit of unique flavor I think, but there are parts of Abigail II that remind me so much of the first one.  :king:

Offline neildonoghue

• Up From The Grave
  • Mick Chillage Live Blue Directed by Neil Donoghue
    • Neil Donoghue Film Director
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:02 pm »
Funnily enough its the origional Abigail album that I am not mad about..
saying that I do like it but its not 1 of my faves ...A2??? havent heard it yet
but will do soon  \m/
Neil Donoghue Film Director

www.youtube.com/neildonoghue

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 12:35:25 am »
I personally think that the original Abigail is the greatest album ever. Abigail II was a little disappointment compared to Abigail, but still a very good album. The storyline is absolute perfect on whole Abigail-Abigail II concept. The sequel makes the story much more interesting. Musically Abigail II: The Revenge is still my least favourite KD album but it's very atmospheric and cool. King's vocal performance is brilliant on Abigail II. I agree that Abigail II songs sounds better live. For example Mansion In Sorrow is absolutely amazing live track, much better than the album version. Great album, even all the other KD masterpieces are a bit better. The whole discography deserves praise!
:cool:

Offline Fanis

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 09:21:16 am »
Ι guess I am among the few KD fans that really like Abigail II. When I first bought it I did not think much of it, but as I listened to it a few more time it started to grow on me. Songs like: Broken Glass, The Wheelchair, The Storm, Mansion in Sorrow, Miriam, The Crypt are great songs IMO and up there to KD standards.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2008, 11:10:57 am »
i must agree that the story Abigail II is a bit boring, yet the way it is expressed troughout the album gives me the chills.
i really think it is a hell of a great album :D

Jackie patino

« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2008, 06:18:29 am »
I think its a weird album  :fingers:

Its rotten from start to the end and there is a very mystery feeling on it.

But its cool and i like it!! That's King Diamond  :cool:

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2008, 10:34:44 am »
Hi Jackie great to hear from ya.

I agree, Abigail II has a certain feel to it, and the concept of 'spirit twins' probably can confuse the average person lol

but, its a great album IMO.
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Nachtsider

• Emerencia
  • Shadowmancer Supreme
    • Nachtsider at VampireFreaks.com
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2008, 12:29:19 am »
Abigail II, in my opinion, completely failed to measure up to its predecessor, Abigail, although it did have its moments. All in all, I'd call it a rather average album... but 'rather average' King Diamond is still miles better than most of the crap we have out there.
There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2008, 01:52:41 pm »
Amen!

if more bands could be that

Offline janiperta

• Mandrake
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2008, 10:59:49 am »
I have to take my comment back a bit. I've so far thought that the album is one of, if not THE worst album King's done. I've listened to it on my mp3 player, and read the lyrics more than few times, and just now it's starting to open up. And I had at work on my player both Abigail albums. Listening them in a row made me realize just how good the whole story actually is. It's the same with individual songs. Like Sleepless Nights is amazing track, but if you don't hear At The Graves before it, it's just not that powerful. So I take my previous comment back. Abigail II - The Revenge IS a good album, but I myself had to dive into the story very deep, and listen the whole story before it opened up completely...

Offline GraveyardWanderer

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2008, 09:12:45 pm »
 I think the album is great, not as good as the original but still very good. Anything King, Andy, Matt, and Mike make is epic gold.

Offline BLACKEAGLEOFETERNITY

• Witches' Eye
  • NDK Team
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2008, 09:23:14 pm »
    I love it.The Storm is my favorite song on the LP.I also like (Spare This Life).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 07:34:15 am by BLACKEAGLEOFETERNITY »
so many blackened wings

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2008, 06:58:40 pm »
This album is somewhat special to me because I listened to it for the first time on the car ride home from the mall in the middle of a big rainstorm. It just really got me into the songs and the atmosphere of the album, and I still really enjoy listening to it every now and then.

Offline Buko

• Banshee
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2008, 03:42:06 am »
I think it´s a good,solid King album.I like the mean vocals he delivers from time to time and the sound is also great.IMO Abigail II is better than graveyard or voodoo,which many of you seem to like here.To me they both sound somehow unfinished.I listened to them many times but still they don´t blow me away.

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 03:18:23 pm »
Awesome album, superior to several of the releases that came before it. I still don't understand the animosity that it gets among KD fans. If you want to hear Abigail again just listen to that album. This one is completely different musicaly and stylisticaly which is rather refereshing IMO. The last thing I wanted was a cheap rehash of the original. Plus it actually continues the storyline in a meaningful way something that I would have figured to be impossible given the ending of the original. 

Offline E.O.G.

• Haunted
  • Enemy Of God
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2008, 09:07:31 am »
Hmmm...so many different opinions.In the last couple of weeks (months,actually) I've spent a long time to get into all of King's albums.I bought his whole collection several years ago (I think it was in 2003 or 2004) but I was only able to listen to Abigail and the Puppetmaster.The others were too complex or boring for me at the first time,so I just forgot about them.Then last year I've heard that he will tour together with Kreator, (I'm a huge Kreator fan) so I was like "let's give a little bit more spin to the other albums"! And oh I'm so glad I did! Some of those classic songs like Halloween,Charon,Tea,Sleepless nights and others just blew my mind away.Then the Graveyard with it's sick storyline became an instant favorite.Then Spider's Lullabye,House of God,and finally I was able to get into Voodoo,which I very much disliked until I listened to it like 15 times! Now Abigail 2 is the last King Diamond album I'm trying to get into in these days...and so far it's pretty hard! The production is definitely weak,King's voice is struggling with the falsettos,and the songs are just...what's the word?...chaotic? I dunno...I'm still trying to get into this album,but I'm pretty sure that even if I will be able to get into it finally,I will consider Abigail 2 as King's weakest album ever!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:09:22 am by E.O.G. »

[img]http://www.spv.de/banner/kreator_horde

Offline thefamilyghost

• Unborn
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2008, 11:14:19 pm »
Haven't heard the whole album yet. Although, The Storm is an awesome song.
Rain drops on her head. Weeping for the dead. Rain! Rain! Rain! Turning red!

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
  • R.I.P Mr Ronnie James Dio \m/ \m/
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2008, 05:15:33 pm »
this album is pretty sweet my fav song off this album is SPIRITS :D

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2008, 08:53:35 am »
musically, I hate it besides Mommy, The Storm, and The Wheelchair.  Storyline wise, it bores me to death. I have a hard time figuring out which album I dislike more, this or Voodoo.