Author Topic: Halford or King Diamond  (Read 80866 times)

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
Re: Halford or King Diamond
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2006, 04:15:00 pm »
yeah, he's not as good. but i mean the reaction listeners had, and for the same reasons: the high falsettos.

he does falsettos?  wow I need to listen to this album again.  It may rank just a bit higher in my book after this.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2006, 10:08:40 pm »
They are both singers...so yeah, you can compare them. I like King's vox on Puppet Master much more than Rob's on the last JP album, but he's still pretty good. As for live, I have not heard any recent live JP, but Rob always seems to handle his voice well live throughout the ages. Let's face it, King's live voice is not as flawless as it was in the early MF/KD days, but King has got a lot more to work with than Rob and he's still got more power in his voice than strain.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 10:11:05 pm by Count Jonah »
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2006, 10:29:03 pm »
I don't know, i have some bootlegs from the latest JP tour and Halford does not sound like he use to. I was kind of dissapointed. I just saw King on the last tour and he sounded amazing. They are both amazing for there age though

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2006, 10:34:07 pm »
I think the latest thing I saw was a bootleg of Halford in 2000. His voice seemed to match the studio stuff well, but he didn't move around at all, and he even had his head turned to the ground. Weird....Ofcourse King is all over the place on stage like a theatrical badass.   :gah:
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2006, 01:35:20 am »
yeah halford was totally still on the shows i have as well. He just stood there looking at the ground.

I was really disappointed with "A touch of Evil" He did not belt anything...maybe it was just a few off nights i don't know. King still seems spot on to me.

No disrespect to halford though. He is a metal god for sure

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 04:23:21 am »
hey, king diamond is sooooo much better than in MF early days!!

yaeah... we like all that falsettos he did back there, as in the corpse without soul. But he's clearly much more technical today.

If you hear Deadly lullabies, he's voice's better than ever!

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2006, 06:48:31 am »
I definitely agree King's voice is better than ever, judging from the two shows I saw on the latest European tour...and the shows before.
Halford on the other hand disappointed the shit out of me on AOR tour.

Offline russian_banger

• Up From The Grave
  • Invisible Guest!
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 11:35:45 am »
Halford is for gays, Diamond is for guys!
signature!

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 11:39:26 am »

you're stupid

Offline Dark eye

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 02:58:23 pm »
Good joke!

As for me, I think that they really sing in other ways. And each of them are the best singers!

Offline Fatal Portrait 92

• Banshee
  • http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Inde
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 07:01:50 pm »
So easy King diamond i like his fallseetto vocals he has more high pitched halfoord is good to  :king: \m/ :cool:
The shadows move They're here to feed the dead ... the shadows move 'Cause there is life after death

Offline russian_banger

• Up From The Grave
  • Invisible Guest!
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2006, 05:49:56 am »
signature!

Offline grr

• Lady In Black
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2006, 06:09:28 am »
Blow-job yourself.

Shut the fuck up, man.
King Diamond and Mercyful Fate Fanclub Sweden

Offline Penumbra

• The mother of postwhores!
    • My music
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2006, 06:22:25 am »
FLAME WAR !

Blow-job yourself.

Seriously, how old are you ?

AND !

It's "blowjob" not "blow-job" :gah:

Offline GravesiteCamper666

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2006, 09:25:44 am »
"Blow-job yourself", hehe... Maybe I'll try. I'm not flexiple at all, but it's still easy for me. :fingers:

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2006, 12:27:12 pm »
"Blow-job yourself", hehe... Maybe I'll try. I'm not flexiple at all, but it's still easy for me. :fingers:
I wanna see a picture of that :fingers:

Offline GravesiteCamper666

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2006, 07:50:48 am »
Well, maybe not... By the way, what's that guy in your avatar trying to do? Looks a little suspicious...

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2006, 10:02:10 am »
do you guys know Sracred Steel's singer?

he's the only one who could imitate King

Wow. I checked out this band, they sound awsome!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0UkFuajIww

Offline Dr. Landau

• Haunted
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2006, 10:56:25 am »
yeah halford was totally still on the shows i have as well. He just stood there looking at the ground.

I was really disappointed with "A touch of Evil" He did not belt anything...maybe it was just a few off nights i don't know. King still seems spot on to me.

No disrespect to halford though. He is a metal god for sure

I must admit Halford and Priest are what got me into metal so he will always rank at the top!  That being said, Robs vocal cords are showing their age, while King is still killer live.  King is still the King!  I remember seeing many threads about Halford vs Dickenson or King vs Halford or .....  I think it says something about Halford and his abilities, since everyone is always compairing him to who ever their favorite vocalist may be. 

Brad

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2006, 11:36:18 am »
Well, maybe not... By the way, what's that guy in your avatar trying to do? Looks a little suspicious...
I think he's just being nerd :gah:

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2006, 03:18:17 pm »
Mod peeks in....

Everything ok? OH, I see not. CHILL OUT!!!  >:(

I might not be here a lot, but I, and the others, ARE watching. Behave or Bebanned.

Offline miranda

• The mother of postwhores!
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 08:38:16 pm »
LOL!!!!!!! i can never look at his avatar the same.
Praise the Lard

Offline The Winnipeg Warrior ®

• A Family Ghost
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
    • The Winnipeg Warrior® MySpace
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2006, 10:05:02 am »
Totally different in what they have given to Metal music. Halford has a hell of a voice, probably among the most power and range of any metal vocalist ever. I would say that he could easily do any KD/MF material if you are simply looking at it from a vocal range perspective.

I also think that Halford has stronger highs, in that where KD will often go into falsetto, Halford is all lungs and power even on the highest of notes.....and he can easily sustain that power.....where King's voice just doesn't have that lung capacity and his voice is more fragile and brittle. Just two completely different skills and talents that each owns, really.

Since I've never seen King Diamond live and have only audio and video to comment on.....I have no choice but to go with Halford. The biggest factor is that Rob sings a song straight from start to finish 95% of the time. King can't or doesn't.....because of that 'falsetto factor.' Plus.....Halford's as versatile as hell. He can do a killer ballad like Angel.....and then come back and rip it up with Judas Rising. From his work with Priest, Fight, and Halford.....Rob can do so much more with his voice.

I saw Priest in 1984 supporting 'Defenders of the Faith'.....and just about had my ears blown off by the sonic power of his screams. To this day.....that show IS still the loudest I've ever heard. AND.....Rob Halford was STILL louder than the 'friggin P.A. I saw them again in late 2005.....and it was much the same.....although the years of screaming his lungs out have caught up with him a little. He's raspier now, but he's still awesome live.

I've heard so many Priest sound-board recordings from that 80's era with Halford.....and only Dickinson could match up pound for pound with Halford. King wasn't really even in that league. I'm a huge King and Fate fan and totally respect his medium and what he's accomplished in his career.....but Halford and Dickinson were the true power vocalists of that era. They were both nailing it night after night in front of huge crowds.....and I think that may have hurt them somewhat from what they can do now. However.....that's what made them so awesome back then.....just blowing a gasket and going for it each night like it was their last show.

For anyone here like me that lived through that era.....what happend back then was the real deal. But the fact that 20-25 years later people still put Rob Halford on a pedestal and still refer to him as The Metal God.....there's a reason. He can still deliver the goods and put on a professional show. Rob Halford at 80% today from his glory years is still better than 90% of anyone else out there now. The man is a stud!

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2006, 02:35:43 pm »
KD will often go into falsetto
But isn't that the whole point of his singing?

Offline crued71

• Spirit
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2006, 08:33:44 pm »
King Diamond... easily. His voice is much better.