Author Topic: Halford or King Diamond  (Read 82572 times)

Offline Dr. Landau

• Haunted
Re: Halford or King Diamond
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2006, 05:16:04 pm »
Totally different in what they have given to Metal music. Halford has a hell of a voice, probably among the most power and range of any metal vocalist ever. I would say that he could easily do any KD/MF material if you are simply looking at it from a vocal range perspective.

I also think that Halford has stronger highs, in that where KD will often go into falsetto, Halford is all lungs and power even on the highest of notes.....and he can easily sustain that power.....where King's voice just doesn't have that lung capacity and his voice is more fragile and brittle. Just two completely different skills and talents that each owns, really.

Since I've never seen King Diamond live and have only audio and video to comment on.....I have no choice but to go with Halford. The biggest factor is that Rob sings a song straight from start to finish 95% of the time. King can't or doesn't.....because of that 'falsetto factor.' Plus.....Halford's as versatile as hell. He can do a killer ballad like Angel.....and then come back and rip it up with Judas Rising. From his work with Priest, Fight, and Halford.....Rob can do so much more with his voice.

I saw Priest in 1984 supporting 'Defenders of the Faith'.....and just about had my ears blown off by the sonic power of his screams. To this day.....that show IS still the loudest I've ever heard. AND.....Rob Halford was STILL louder than the 'friggin P.A. I saw them again in late 2005.....and it was much the same.....although the years of screaming his lungs out have caught up with him a little. He's raspier now, but he's still awesome live.

I've heard so many Priest soundboard recordings from that 80's era with Halford.....and only Dickinson could match up pound for pound with Halford. King wasn't really even in that league. I'm a huge King and Fate fan and totally respect his medium and what he's accomplished in his career.....but Halford and Dickinson were the true power vocalists of that era. They were both nailing it night after night in front of huge crowds.....and I think that may have hurt them somewhat from what they can do now. However.....that's what made them so awesome back then.....just blowing a gasket and going for it each night like it was their last show.

For anyone here like me that lived through that era.....what happend back then was the real deal. But the fact that 20-25 years later people still put Rob Halford on a pedestal and still refer to him as The Metal God.....there's a reason. He can still deliver the goods and put on a professional show. Rob Halford at 80% today from his glory years is still better than 90% of anyone else out there now. The man is a stud!

I am not sure you were around a couple of years ago but I think Twilight will remember!  A similar thread were a dude named "Loki" and myself got into a argument about Halfords voice.  He said Halford sucked because of the sound board recording he heard.  I proceeded to give him a hard time because he put Halford under the microscope of the sound board recording while he didn't have any recordings of Dickenson.  I still don't understand the "logic" of judging a live performace by listening to a recording but that is just me.  See King live!  They are both great performers but I give the edge to King.

Brad

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2006, 05:26:31 pm »
I am not sure you were around a couple of years ago but I think Twilight will remember!
ah yes. remember it well.  :cool:

Offline 666miles

• Victimized
  • UP FROM THE GRAVE!!!
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
I think you can't compare the two. they're both extreemly good at what they do but as it's been said, King has more melody in his falsetto. Like in "LOA" House. I've sang some Halford and it is more screaming than singing and I'm scared to even try to sing some KD. I think Satan himself would come and kill me because I'd butcher it so badly.

Offline The Black Horseman

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2007, 08:17:46 pm »
its hard to say......I agree with 666miles....i dont think king diamond would have been good in judas priest, and i don't think that rob halford would have been good in King Diamond (that sounds dirty, hehe)....but they both did what was perfect for the music that they played.  Incomparable

However, I think it is fair to compare King Diamond with Michael Kiske of Helloween......anyone have any opinions on that?

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2007, 10:29:13 pm »

However, I think it is fair to compare King Diamond with Michael Kiske of Helloween......anyone have any opinions on that?
Opinions? Ok, only one of them is a good singer. :gah:

Offline 666miles

• Victimized
  • UP FROM THE GRAVE!!!
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2007, 09:34:26 am »
What I've heard of Helloween I'd say King is 938469 times better.

Offline The Black Horseman

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2007, 01:45:42 pm »
King is a zillion times better.......but im just saying that Michael Kiske and King Diamond have a way more similar vocal style than King Diamond and Rob Halford...so it would be a better comparison

Offline HalloweenMercyfulFate

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2007, 07:32:11 pm »
Hello.
On Judas Priests official site they have a forum where they discuss who is best singer: Halford or King Diamond. Not surprising most of the people in their like Halford best, but some also say that they don't think you can compare them.
Anyway, the question is, what is your opinion?
Personally I don't think you can compare them, because they sing in different ways!

King Diamond...King is better and isnt cheezy :king:

Offline acefireburst

• Unborn
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2007, 09:31:45 pm »
You cannot say who is better right off the bat...you have to be comparing them from either a technicality, originality, or musicality standpoint. 
When i think of comparing two vocalists, i automatically compare the two by who is the better vocalist technically.
I am a HUGE Priest fan, and a HUGE King Diamond fan.  But I think Halford takes this one easy...sorry KD!!!
-Ace

Offline Fatal Portrait 92

• Banshee
  • http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Inde
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2007, 06:50:15 pm »
why ask that question you know its king diamond \m/ :king:
The shadows move They're here to feed the dead ... the shadows move 'Cause there is life after death

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2007, 03:02:34 am »
You cannot say who is better right off the bat...you have to be comparing them from either a technicality, originality, or musicality standpoint. 

I can say, just by listening. :gah:

Offline castle5

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2007, 07:31:08 pm »
king diamond is way better. also preist guitar work is rather boring comparted to fate or kd. kings voice is amazing it goes against the grain of how singing is suppose to be. halford screams hi notes , king sings hi all the way thru the song. this is very original and evil sounding. there will be another halford out there but king cannot be duplicated. if i was not a fan of what king does i would not be here. i saw halford last year and his voice does not sound as good as when he was younger. but ive seen king and he sounds even better now. judas preist turned me off back in the eighties i went to see a preist at a sold out 10,000 seat show. halford was wearing his gay leather village people leather suit. and he started spitting on some of the fans down in the front row. i was disgusted at the time. what would you think.... :D:

Offline Pandora

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2007, 08:35:09 pm »
I HATE Judas Priest. ::)
stars shine into an array of pain unwanted through cells of dissipated light

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2007, 10:22:05 pm »

Offline Mr. White

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2007, 09:25:31 pm »
King is the best :king:

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2007, 01:34:48 am »
King is my favourite singer in falsetto kind singing and even in a low vocal style. My answer is definitely King Diamond.
I do like also Halford as a vocalist. Halford's Painkiller-era screaming vocals are excellent.

There are no other such unique and excellent singers than King on earth.

Offline Mouse1979

• Up From The Grave
  • what are you looking at?
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2007, 02:10:26 pm »
Ive seen both singers live many times and have heard various recordings from live shows..IMHO? King was god in the 80's live, and couldnt be beat by anyone. Then there was a period in early 90's to late 90's where King's voice live was hit and miss..From then on, alll the recordings  of King live have been KILLER..almost flawless.! It seems he is back to where he was in the 80's! Halford live was constantly hit and miss..I saw him live 2 years ago and I was less than impressed.He lost his wail, but at the end of Painkiller...he hit some godly notes and I think he herniated himself.. :)

Colin
My big boy helmet has racing stripes

Offline OsbourneJames

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2007, 06:47:14 pm »
 :king: :king: they do have different styles of singing and different writing styles, however I like them both and have seen them both, would would be wicked cool is for them to share the same stage and combine them. who all would agree with that?
Take Pride is everything you do and stride to be the very best.

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2007, 08:50:41 pm »
:king: :king: they do have different styles of singing and different writing styles, however I like them both and have seen them both, would would be wicked cool is for them to share the same stage and combine them. who all would agree with that?

That would be interesting, I would prefer them to record a song together rather than just do something onstage though. On the first Halford album, there's a song 'The One You Love To Hate' where Rob Halford sang with Bruce Dickinson which sounds really good.
-Goat

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2007, 12:02:29 am »
On the first Halford album, there's a song 'The One You Love To Hate' where Rob Halford sang with Bruce Dickinson which sounds really good.
Yeah. The song is excellent indeed. Rob + Bruce = \m/

Offline OsbourneJames

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2007, 10:24:18 pm »
Halford or Diamond  to me I like them both :king:
Take Pride is everything you do and stride to be the very best.

Offline TallicA_dude

• Unclean Spirit
    • myspace page
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2007, 11:59:14 pm »
lol me and my friend were discussing this other day! except it was between King Diamond, Rob Halford and Eric Adams. i love all 3 and they are all different in style and for me it is so hard to pick between any of them. but i went with Eric Adams!lol :fingers:
"Drink, Drink Girl, Drink The Chickens Blood. Drink, Drink Girl, Drink And Feed The Gods!!!"

Offline Shagr

• Mandrake
  • Whoopy-fucking-doo.
    • Shagrmeister
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2007, 01:37:24 am »
Never really listened Rob with a mood to compare it to someone else. King in uncomparable to anyone else, that's for sure, but Rob has his moments. Yesterday I was listening Touch of Evil Live with headphones, and goddamn....that guy can sing. It felt like, whatever that guy says, you will listen and believe. The mix was so good and Halford sounded better than ever. I was stunned about it, for a sec it felt like King had found his match...But as always, Rob came close 2nd.

these guys need to do a duet  :D
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

Offline Lance

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2007, 07:00:54 pm »
Two completely different types of vocal work both extremely good work but I'm going to go with King Diamond on this one :king:

Halford does an awesome job too but King goes all over the place with his vocals from low growls and window shattering screams

Offline Atom

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2007, 07:10:43 am »
I do love Priest but I listen to King/Fate way more so... King for me! :)