Author Topic: Regarding Mercyful Fate's Status  (Read 9351 times)

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
Regarding Mercyful Fate's Status
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:09:44 PM »
I was wondering what was going on with MF and whether or not we would be getting another album from this legendary band. I was searching online for KD interviews and came across this info from a recent interview.

source: Utter Trash

UT:  So what’s the status of Mercyful Fate?

KD:  Before ‘9’, it was like two Mercyful Fate albums back to back and then we decided to do two King Diamond albums back to back.  Then all kinds of things changed in the business, which is why we didn’t tour for the ‘Abigail II’ album.  There were no touring funds at that point, which was the first time that had ever happened to us.  It came as a shock, and the label told us it was music downloading.  The label had lost overall about 30% of their income to downloading.   So we had to renegotiate new contracts.  That’s always a bad word, especially in that sort of time, because you’re going to get smaller budgets to do your albums.  Our fans know me well enough to understand that if I can’t deliver a product that I feel is the same quality or better than what we’ve done before, then I’d rather stop.  When those things happened, we renegotiated for both Mercyful Fate and King Diamond.  So that tells you than in my mind anyway Mercyful Fate is not over.  It’s just in a holding pattern right now.  We tried to do all this with some foresight so we’d be ready when the time comes.  We were looking at a situation with King Diamond at the time that would mean lower recording budgets.  We normally spend 9 weeks in the studio, and that was not an option.  We were actually saying, “is this it, is this where it stops?”  We found out we had one chance, and that’s because Andy has a studio in Sweden.  Andy took all his top pro recording gear from his studio and packed it up and brought it to my house in Dallas.  We turned my house into a studio, and here at my house we recorded all the rhythm guitars, all harmony guitars, Hal came in and recorded all his bass parts, and the keyboards.   We did go into the studio where we would normally record, Nomad recording studios here in Dallas, and did all the drums and all the vocals there.  That ended up being about three and a half, four weeks, so we saved five weeks of studio time.  It actually worked better than before, because we found out a lot of positive things doing it this way.  The clock wasn’t ticking all the time.  It was more fun.  Hal and Andy were staying in guest rooms here at the house, and we were still working 12 hours a day, but a whole different atmosphere.  You start working with a really positive attitude.  By being smart and exploring different options we came up with a product that I think is better than anything we ever did.  I can say there are only two albums in my whole career that I wouldn’t change a thing on.  ‘The Puppet Master’ is one of them, and the first ‘Abigail’ is the other.  Anyway, King Diamond has always sold more albums than Mercyful Fate.  Mercyful Fate does not have access to Andy’s gear, so in reality Mercy has bigger expenses and smaller budgets for recording.  If Mercyful Fate were the only band in existence, I would not be a musician now.  I would be doing another job to get by.  King Diamond is still viable as a job.  I love doing it, but it is also a job of course.  King Diamond will always be number one.  I get more of a challenge with the full concept stories, more variety in the songwriting and stage production.  Mercyful Fate, a hobby would be the wrong word for it, but it’s a thing that will happen when there is a break in the King Diamond work schedule.  It’s not done from my standpoint as part of making a living; it’s going to be purely for the love of Mercyful Fate music.  I won’t make a dime on that album, I know that. 

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
Re: Regarding Mercyful Fate's Status
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:40:19 AM »
Yeah, King has stated this many times in the last few years. It's a shame that Mercyful Fate suffered so much because of the downloading thing.

"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 06:19:54 AM »
All I can say is that I hope Mercyful Fate put something out in the near future

Offline Princess of Hell

• Unborn
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 07:45:34 AM »
Well maybe he wouldn't make "a dime" on a new MF album (which I highly doubt), but King sure as Hell would make bank on getting a bunch of old-school-style MF merchandise out there!! I have been really surprised that this has not happened yet. MF is so "cult" and admired by people in many genres and I know that cool-looking, retro-ish stuff would be extremely popular. (For example, shirts that are not huge XL-sized ones, old-school backpatches with old MF images, stickers, patches, etc. etc. etc.)

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 08:19:02 AM »
So many people are demanding another Mercyful Fate record, that I highly doubt that King will profit as little as he claims he would. Then again, there's only one way to find out.

Offline cthulhuloid

• Mandrake
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:32:44 PM »
I think King knows better, even if Mercyful Fate were to reunite and get out an album or something it has to be at the right moment. Otherwise they won't have enough money to tour.

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 03:08:44 AM »
i really don't mind if the band's ended. beacause it all was TOP albums. 9 was a killer, and all of them can remain as a legacy.

tough it's innevitable that one more album needs to be made. i would be pleased with a killer live one.

Offline Spooky

• Witches' Eye
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 04:51:57 AM »
IMO Mercyful Fate should at least get together and do a live DVD show... I don't want them to make an album just for the sake of doing it.
But a sort of final Mercyful Fate show would be the perfect ending. A band is only as good as their last record, and if MF makes an album that totally sucks, it would be a wierd way to go for one of the greatest bands ever.
Who knows.. maybe making a live dvd of MF might actually fuel the fire and make MF come back.
-Life is like a penis... When it's hard, you get screwed... When it's soft, you can't beat it-

-Poli

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:18:43 AM »
Or they can make a live CD :cool:
"A band is only as good as their last record" is bullshit.

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 03:22:25 PM »
IMO Mercyful Fate should at least get together and do a live DVD show...
they should include live footage from past years as well, that would be kickass

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 03:33:35 PM »
they should include live footage from past years as well, that would be kickass

buy Roadrunner's 25 years Melissa Cd/DVD   ;)

Offline russian_banger

• Up From The Grave
  • Invisible Guest!
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 01:48:23 PM »
Mercy will be back. Otherwise, it will mean that King lied in "Don't break the oath".
signature!

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 10:31:06 PM »
Downloads work the same for everybody, but to a much less degree for underground metal bands, such as MF, as compared to chart toppers as Slipknot and Metallica.

Just sayin'...

I think the world would be 100% ready for a new MF record. I know I would be the first guy in line on the day of the release. MF only got better with every damn album (well, "In the Shadows" is still their best - but still)... I actually prefer later day MF to later day KD.

King's problem was that he was signed with both bands to the same label - silly move. I was talking to Uli Kusch (Masterplan, Beautiful Sin) the other month, and told him I thought it was a mistake for him to have both his bands on the same label. He disagreed. Now he's out of Masterplan and is busy trying to shop around for a new deal for Beautiful Sin. The label didn't front the money to tour with both.

Don't ever put all your eggs in the same basket, kids. If you treat your own band like an unfortunate side project, chances are your label will, too. Separate exclusive bands - separate exclusive labels and contracts.

The only thing standing in the way of MF is King, no matter what excuse he uses.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 07:26:11 AM »
MF only got better with every damn album (well, "In the Shadows" is still their best - but still)... I actually prefer later day MF to later day KD.
I totally agree with this statement, I feel the same way.
However I just want to say that whether or not it was a good idea to have been signed up for both bands, it was truely awsome as a fan to hear albums of both bands coming out at the same time. During the time when both KD & MF were releasing albums, there was like an album almost every year or so and they were all great.
I found this fact very impressive. KD was in 2 different bands at the same time and both making excellent music. This one fact alone made me appreciate KD so much more as a musician and I will always remember this about him.

Offline The Graveyard

• Unborn
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 09:58:56 PM »

Mercyful fate status???

I was on myspace.com...and I ask sherman...this whate he said...

Hi B

Thankx for ur support of MF :::

Yeah there might be an opening for a new MF ,
somewhere in 08 ?
But we all have to wait and C , :-))

Best

Hank Shermann

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 10:23:05 PM »
Mercyful fate status???

Hi B

somewhere in 08 ?

Best

Hank Shermann

That's great news. Thanks for posting that. Something to look forward.  \m/

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 07:40:00 AM »
I totally agree with this statement, I feel the same way.

I don't :gah:

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 01:51:47 PM »
Mercyful fate status???

Hi B

somewhere in 08 ?

Best

Hank Shermann

What is Hank Shermann's myspace?

Offline The Graveyard

• Unborn
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2006, 07:48:14 PM »