Author Topic: A question about copyrights, perhaps?  (Read 4962 times)

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
A question about copyrights, perhaps?
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:32:16 am »
Or maybe not? Either way, I have to ask because doing this is something I feel I would need permission to do...Here goes;

I`m writing a book. Yep! I`ve allways been into reading and writing, and many of my friends and family (liars!!!) have been saying for years that I should try to get something published instead of just leaving it in my drawer. Well, now the time has come. In short, it`s a "funny" book witch makes fun of the whole "Dan Brown-thing" (the guy who wrote the Da Vinci Code and other things), which includes priests, Vikings, aliens and beavers and loads of other s---. Yeah i know, it doesn`t make much sense and it seems stupid...and it is. But much to my surprise some publishers seem to like it, so.... Well, the thing is that during the story, one of the persons have to go to Budapest to find some ancient scrolls in a library. The whole "scene" is going to be very short, but he`ll basically experience the plot from "The Puppet Master", just in a veeeeery short version. Kinda like a "Hey, by the way; Johnny arrived Budapest a couple of days ago, were the as----- fell in love, but they were both made in to thees sick humansized puppets, and..." U get the idea, right?

Would this need permission/blessings from King him self, or the record company, or Ole Bang, or maybe Matt`s cousin? If I don`t, but someone in the KD camp wouldn`t like it, I sure ass hell wouldn`t do it.
Like, whatever.

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
Re: A question about copyrights, perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:27:04 am »
I'd say go ahead and include it and forward a manuscript to King and/or his lawyers, and advide them that you're attempting to submit it for publication and that you're hoping they'll let you keep it as is as long as the editors don't nuke it themselves. you never know.....it's always a learning experience when you're first trying to break into something like this.

good luck!
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 08:37:58 am »
Yea,

His lawyers are who you want to contact. They filter everything and will let king on things that are for real. I am not going to give out the lawyers info as i don't want to fling it around but you should send a private message to Renzo. He will be able to give you the lawyers information

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:46:38 am »
Yea,

His lawyers are who you want to contact. They filter everything and will let king on things that are for real. I am not going to give out the lawyers info as i don't want to fling it around but you should send a private message to Renzo. He will be able to give you the lawyers information

Yeah man, was thinking the same thing to. Hopes maybe Bang sees this, so he could tell  :cool:
Either way, I know similar things have been done in several movies; just think about all the parodies i Hot Shots. Scary Movie and so on. I don`t think they got permission to make fun of others work  :gah: or? But I`m (of course) not trying to make fun of King`s work, and hopefully they`ll see it if I ever get around to completing the book.
Like, whatever.

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:49:21 am »
Oh crap, this means I`ll have to translate my ass off  :gah:
Like, whatever.

Offline Wizzbang11

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • .....fuck TK?
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:36:29 pm »
Now i CERTAINLY think you should get kings permission, but i dont thin you legally need to. now, i'm not positive, but i think that parodies and the like are perfectly legal. for instance weird al dosnt NEEED to get permission from artists, he just does it out of respect. as i think you should.
SAVE A TREE, EAT A BEAVER

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 07:23:00 am »
Now i CERTAINLY think you should get kings permission, but i dont thin you legally need to. now, i'm not positive, but i think that parodies and the like are perfectly legal. for instance weird al dosnt NEEED to get permission from artists, he just does it out of respect. as i think you should.

Well, as I`ve allready said, there`s no chance I`d ever do anything without some sot of approval, or something that was disrespectfull towards King`s work. It`s not a parody as such, it`s just using the storyline from The Puppet Master in two or three lines.
Like, whatever.

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 08:35:18 am »
So its not a parody, per se, more of an inside joke, a wink to fellow KD fans.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 09:14:34 am »
So its not a parody, per se, more of an inside joke, a wink to fellow KD fans.

Something like it; besides, for people not familiar with King`s work it will seem pretty farfetched, which kinda sums up entire story  :gah:

Btw; got a mail from one of the leading publishers here in Norway today (not gonna mention names) which was kinda funny. I think it`ll show what kind of masterpiece we`re looking at  :gah: So here is a translation;

Dear ----!

Well, we all agree that this is certainly something we would be interested in. As you may know, the market isn`t swamped with Norwegian writers who are intergrating "crazy humor" in their works. Being a Monthy Python-fan, I really like this (hehe).

BUT, I do fear you may get some negative response especially concerning the whole "The Truth About Jesus and the Carpenter Industry". A lot of people might be offended when you "claim" that Jesus was a major distributor of crosses which the Romans used for crucifying people. The rest, including the parts where the beavers "save" Jesus and so on is more likely to not provoke christian readers. It`s not something we demand that you change, but it would be a smart move to at least shorten down the mentioned passage. A part from that, our censors seem to be having a good time with the material you`ve handed in so far. As you said in your previous mail, some things are in need of being "polished", but just keep up the good work, and I`m sure we`ll be very interested in publishing the finished work.

Yours truly,
-----

Kind of sums it up.
Like, whatever.

Offline maarten.

• The mother of postwhores!
  • NCS Team
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 09:27:14 am »
pretty cool man :)

like the man said, keep up the good work, and make sure it gets translated to English one day :)

Neffie's penguin's

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 05:51:37 pm »
the parts where the beavers "save" Jesus and so on is more likely to not provoke christian readers.

Aaaah! The Christians can be so nice when they want. As long as Jesus gets saved!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 06:28:19 am »
I have heard the Jesus was a Cross Builder story before. He didn't start his ministry until he was 30, so he needed a job!

Good on you for getting a response. Most U.S. publishers just throw manuscripts in the trash without a second glance. Keep us informed.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 06:33:43 am »
I have heard the Jesus was a Cross Builder story before. He didn't start his ministry until he was 30, so he needed a job!

Good on you for getting a response. Most U.S. publishers just throw manuscripts in the trash without a second glance. Keep us informed.

Are you kidding me? Wow...well, that`ll fit nice in with "moron-historian" angle I`m going for  :D

I`m kinda surprised they are so positive, but then again there`s a LOOOONG way to go before I`m finished. Probably years.
Like, whatever.