Author Topic: Help with Don't break the Oath CD from 1984  (Read 4008 times)

Offline AMCat99

• Spirit
Help with Don't break the Oath CD from 1984
« on: November 18, 2007, 12:33:35 pm »
Hey DiamondHeads!
I recently unearthed a CD from King Diamond which is from 1984.  I can not find any releases like this one. 
Here's the description:
It is in a slim case in which the cd holder(back part) folds open to slide the disc in.
Case is white.
Song tracks are on a sticker running down the left 1/3 of the case on the back.
Booklet shows track listing on first page then shows a few pages of album covers from other RoadRunner bands.

Any ideas about this release.  I do know it was purchased originally back in the 80's.

Thanks ahead of time!

I will try to get a photo up soon. :king:

Offline AMCat99

• Spirit
Re: Help with Don't break the Oath CD from 1984
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:41:25 pm »
Although there is no 'japanese' text anywhere on the CD or labels, after further investigation, would I be correct that the issue I have was the first Japanese printed release from 1984?  On the disc it does in fact say Made in Japan and around the inner circle it says: CTACO. LTD JAPAN.

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 03:11:10 pm »
photos would be nice, of course!
but I doubt it's actually from 1984. Very few cds were made back then. It could be the first japanese pressing of this cd, but I bet it wasn't made before 1987-88, when a lot of back catalogues of "less selling" bands were first pressed.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline AMCat99

• Spirit
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 03:42:39 pm »

Copyright on the back of CD says: 1985 RoadRunner productions

Offline Invisible Boy

• Haunted
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:07:29 pm »
Very cool Japan issue.   I would definitely hold onto it.   It is a great item to have. 

Offline AMCat99

• Spirit
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 07:49:20 am »
Item is up for auction on Ebay if anyone is interested.

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 10:39:03 am »
Copyright on the back of CD says: 1985 RoadRunner productions

Mine says 1984, which obviously isn't. I bought it in '92 and am pretty sure the date of the pressing is more likely closer to that date.

Hey, yours could be from '85.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline AMCat99

• Spirit
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 11:17:17 am »
A little more research:

"On October 1, 1982, the compact disc was introduced in Japan by CBS/Sony, with 112 different CD titles and a CD player (Sony's CDP-101). The last few months of 1982 were hectic, with Sony selling over 20,000 CD players and Hitachi also posting sales in the 6,000 per month range for their player. Prices for these initial players ran from about $700 to about $1000. The discs themselves, priced at about $15-20, could not be pressed fast enough to meet demand. Sony's research on who was buying the discs in Japan indicated it was young (20s, early 30s) men with a particular interest in sound quality. Perhaps it was this research that led others to believe, as the rest of the world looked on in curiosity to what was happening in Japan, that CDs would fill a niche for high quality sound enthusiasts and little else."

"After the introduction of the CD here, most of the stories in the trade press center around the acute shortage of pressing plants. At that time, there were two major plants, PolyGram's Hanover, West Germany plant, and Sony's plant in Japan. (Almost all the CDs sold under US labels for the first few years were either made in Japan or West Germany.) Sales figures for the US in 1983 totalled about 30,000 players and 800,000 discs. Still, no one really knew if the CD would succeed."

"Actually, it wasn't until Christmastime in 1985 that CD sales finally turned the corner for good, leaving many stores virtually sold out of stock, and pushing the sales totals for the year to 22 million discs."

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:29:40 pm »
I know cds were pressed in '84. When it started, it was mainly classical albums, and MAJOR pop/rock bands. Like Pink Floyd, Def Leppard, Michael Jackson! and you even had to wait a few months for the cd after the vinyl and the cassette were already available. So I highly doubt that Mercyful Fate cds were being pressed in '85. I got the Melissa (Megaforce imported edition) in '88 and it was the first time I saw a MF cd!