Author Topic: the lake/shrine  (Read 9554 times)

Offline apeshaven

• Unclean Spirit
the lake/shrine
« on: November 24, 2007, 06:47:22 pm »
...someone could tell me what these songs are about? ...movies, books, or...? ...thank you

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
Re: the lake/shrine
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 08:30:32 pm »
I always felt that Shrine could be Jonathan LaFey lamenting the late miriam. Look at the lyrics of shrine, I feel like, lyrically, it could be a song from Abigail II.

Although, at the time the song was recorded, I don't think the story of Abigail II was thought up yet, so who knows.

and we had a discussion about the lake a long time ago, Its about a little girl who feeds souls to a monster in the lake, I think.

if more bands could be that

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:28:53 pm »
I read somewhere that King wanted Shrine to be on Abigail but it didn't fit the story. So it ended up being a b'side.

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 02:41:58 pm »
I read somewhere that King wanted Shrine to be on Abigail but it didn't fit the story. So it ended up being a b'side.

This is what i heard as well.

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:27:13 pm »
he means what the lyrical content is about

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 10:33:37 am »
The Lake is about a little girl who has a hard time growing up under the parenting of a nun.  The girl see's and protects strange things that are in the lake from the nun, because Xtians are fearful of the unknown and consider them to be the Devils work.  That is what King said once in an interview about it.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 11:32:09 am »
I remember reading in a thread here in the forums that 'the lake' was inspired by a scene in a movie that King saw where a creature comes up from a lake and snatches somebody. whatever other meaning may have been written into the song is something that I can't answer.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 06:35:10 pm »
Some years ago I read (don't remember where, but that was an unofficial rumor) Shrine describes the sensations of Abigail nailed in the chaple in the forest! But I think Envenomed627 could be right: In Abigail 2 we know Jonathan remained in the dark for 18 years after Mirim's death!
"The light is hurting my eyes"... "I am burning for you"... "Voices are calling in the night breaking the chain between our lights... I see your face I recognize"... "The night, awakens the mind, this is where we all meet the ones left behind"!
It could be Jonathan going insane missing Miriam, as we know he is in Abigail 2!
And about The Lake I can say "Dagon of the Sea" is a quotation from H. P. Lovecraft!

Offline Walter_BR

• Salem
  • Justice is meaningless without freedom.
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:04:59 pm »
"I am burning for you"...

That's how Jonathan died too!! XD

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 09:06:44 pm »
Darkness you are a holy shrine

Damn even King's b'side material is fucking good. \m/

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:51:22 pm »
I think it is better if people decide for themselves what each lyric means. The songwriter spends enough time and effort writing and recording something worth listening to. Put forth a little effort on your own! Hahaha!

Since The Dark Sides was one of my 1st KD purchases (back in 89!) those 2 songs will always be some of my absolute favorites. I still remember listening to that tape between classes and on the bus in high school on my Walkman, even sneaking listens to it during class; oh such a guilty pleasure, that strange sound in my head... aaaahhhh!!!!

I have always felt that the recording of Halloween released on the Dark Sides sounds better than when I hear it on Fatal Portrait. Is this in my head, because I am pretty sure they are exactly identical? Is the production different? Is the recording from the Halloween single the same as the Fatal Portrait recording?

Maybe some of you more musically inclined and astute listeners could clue me in!

Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 07:52:54 am »
Since The Dark Sides was one of my 1st KD purchases (back in 89!) those 2 songs will always be some of my absolute favorites. I still remember listening to that tape between classes and on the bus in high school on my Walkman, even sneaking listens to it during class; oh such a guilty pleasure, that strange sound in my head... aaaahhhh!!!!
For some reason, those songs sound the best when I listen to them from The Dark Sides, but as bonus tracks, they're not nearly as good. :D

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 04:35:32 pm »
The Dark Sides is soooo sweet! BEST EP EVER!!!!

King should put out another EP. You know it would be great. No matter what.

Back to song meanings, here's a quote from a songwriter in a very different musical genre, but I think it is pertinent and it's just a great quote.

â€œDifferent songs often mean different things to different people.“Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground” for instance, is one of my favorite songs, and it’s one that’s inspired great passion.  Many members of the Hells Angels, for instance, feel certain that “Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground” is about one of their members who died.  Now, I’d be the last person to tell a big group of kickass bikers that they’re wrong.  As far as I’m concerned, whatever they feel the song means is just fine.
Theirs is far from the only interpretation of the song, and I make it a point not to disagree with any of the interpretations (as long as you’re not trying to sell your junk food or your god or your war with my song.)
It’s not up to me to tell you what my songs mean.  The meaning is already in the song.  And the song is the meaning.”

~~Willie Nelson
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 04:45:53 pm »

I'm sure King has some good b'side stuff laying around and we could always use more live versions of songs. :D:

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 09:42:48 am »
The Dark Sides is soooo sweet! BEST EP EVER!!!!

Back to song meanings, here's a quote from a songwriter in a very different musical genre, but I think it is pertinent and it's just a great quote.

â€œDifferent songs often mean different things to different people.“Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground” for instance, is one of my favorite songs, and it’s one that’s inspired great passion.  Many members of the Hells Angels, for instance, feel certain that “Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground” is about one of their members who died.  Now, I’d be the last person to tell a big group of kickass bikers that they’re wrong.  As far as I’m concerned, whatever they feel the song means is just fine.
Theirs is far from the only interpretation of the song, and I make it a point not to disagree with any of the interpretations (as long as you’re not trying to sell your junk food or your god or your war with my song.)
It’s not up to me to tell you what my songs mean.  The meaning is already in the song.  And the song is the meaning.”

~~Willie Nelson

very true, I love how in most king diamond songs, I (and I'm sure you can agree) can relate that moment to a time in my life at some point, just change a few situations and names, but basically the feelings were basically mine. Tell me no one here has ever been betrayed and someone made you take the heat and you wanted to rip them apart from the inside, like the the graveyard. Tell me you've never been rendered inaccessible to the one you love and have missed them for a long time, like the puppet master. You've never looked back at a part of history and felt deeply sorry for a certain people, like the narrator from the eye? I could go on forever. In almost every song I can piece a part of my own life in there somehow and relate 10000000% percent. GMYSP reminds me heavily of something I had to do recently, that may be why I hold that album so dear to me

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 12:42:22 pm »
Both those songs are pretty fucking good. The Lake is my favorite off Fatal Portrait (enhanced, of course)

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 08:24:04 am »
yeah both these songs rank pretty high with me \m/

Offline Shagr

• Mandrake
  • Whoopy-fucking-doo.
    • Shagrmeister
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 02:22:14 am »
I know this is a bit off-topic but I don't think this deserves separate topic. So, on Dark Sides there's this Phone Call piece. I checked the CWW discography and lyrics for that since I couldn't remember what was said in it.

Phone Call
Grandma: Hello.... Hello King!
King: Who's this?
Grandma: It's your grandmother...
King: You're dead!!
Grandma: In a way yes, now listen... Are you still there?
King: I'm still here grandma...
Grandma: Come to the old house tonight, there's quite a few
people here who'd love to see you.
King: Stop it! Bitch! It's starting all over again...

I have this only on vinyl so I can't check it now, but if I remember correctly there was something like "..despite of what you did to my throat.." said somewhere. Or am I now mixing it up with something else? I remember that sentence made my armhair stand up when I first heard it (the voice was damn creepy) so I would like to know where it was. Some B-side it had to be and related to "Them" I'm sure.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 05:48:04 am »
^your thinking of `Out of the Asylum
i just listened to the` phonecall and thats it ,other than a couple laughs + thunder :king:

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 10:07:32 am »
The despite what you did to my throat line is from the track Coming Home. I love those types of tracks.

Offline Shagr

• Mandrake
  • Whoopy-fucking-doo.
    • Shagrmeister
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:05:45 am »
Ah thanks, now I got it.
You can't have manslaughter without laughter.