Author Topic: THEM = Psycho?  (Read 4529 times)

Offline ChrisTrikk

• Desecrator Of Souls
THEM = Psycho?
« on: September 23, 2008, 07:53:37 am »
Hail bangers!  :king:

I bet this topic have been discussed before but I'll bring it up once again!
I've always thought that the THEM album reminds me of the Psycho series (The movies).

The whole THEM story is really creepy about the sick grandma and stuff. So is the Psycho story.
Norman Bates mother, whatever her name was, reminds me of the grandma that's in the THEM story.
Didn't Norman Bates kill his mother by putting poison into her tea?
In the THEM story, the grandma loves tea and she says "It's time for tea."

Also, the house that's in the Psycho movies, it looks alot like the house of the THEM album imo.

I don't know, but these stories are kinda similar to eachother. What do you guys think?
They are two awesome stories tho!

Hail!  :king:

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
Re: THEM = Psycho?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 10:02:31 am »
Now that you mention it, I can see a couple of similarities between the two stories.

Offline Huntsm├Žnus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 10:36:12 am »
There are some, but it certainly wasn't influenced by it. The emphasis on the horror in both those stories are vastly different. As is the actions that develop the plot...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 11:00:27 am »
i never thought of this and i dont see the big connection :P

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 12:07:08 pm »
I've always thought the same thing. Well, I think the story and characters are quite different, but the imagery definitely has certain similarities. As you said, just the look of the house on the cover of Them is evocative of the house in Psycho, and the angle you see the house from, and the steps leading up to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Psycho was at least a bit of an inspiration in some respects.
-Goat

Offline ChrisTrikk

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 12:12:14 pm »
I've always thought the same thing. Well, I think the story and characters are quite different, but the imagery definitely has certain similarities. As you said, just the look of the house on the cover of Them is evocative of the house in Psycho, and the angle you see the house from, and the steps leading up to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Psycho was at least a bit of an inspiration in some respects.

Yes, exactly what I thought aswell!
Could this maybe be King's fav movie? :D

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »
Wasn't King's fave movie,Night of The Living Dead or ...Dawn of the Dead? :gah: I think the last one :D
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline ChrisTrikk

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 12:45:47 pm »
Wasn't King's fave movie,Night of The Living Dead or ...Dawn of the Dead? :gah: I think the last one :D

Haha alright.. To be honest, I didn't know. It was just a wild guess :P

Offline Buko

• Banshee
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:05:21 pm »
Yeah,take a look at the cover and see AMON!Looks like the house in psycho! >:(

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:35:53 pm »
I know king loved The Grudge. Haha. but King's character in conspiracy reminds me a lot of a more mild mannered norman bates

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39:55 pm »
Kings favorite movie is the shining, well at least one of them i heard him mention.

I see small similarities but i see similarities in every horror story to those of Hitchcock. The guy changed the way stories are told and it's impossable not to be influenced by that but i don't see how THEM could be taken from this story

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:38:24 am »
Kings favorite movie is the shining, well at least one of them i heard him mention.

I see small similarities but i see similarities in every horror story to those of Hitchcock. The guy changed the way stories are told and it's impossable not to be influenced by that but i don't see how THEM could be taken from this story
i thought so that the shinning was his fave :P its one of mine as well, that movie just rocks! :D

Offline BloodFlow

• Haunted
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 06:48:12 am »
Yes but norman bates nor his mother drank tee with blood in it
Tonight the circles meeting again.

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 12:02:47 pm »
ChrisTrikk didn't say that they're exactly the same, but that there are certain similarities. I think it would be too much of a coincidence if Psycho had absolutely no influence on Them whatsoever.. it doesn't mean Them is any kind of rip-off, there are plenty of original ideas, it's just that certain little aspects are close.
-Goat

Offline Nachtsider

• Emerencia
  • Shadowmancer Supreme
    • Nachtsider at VampireFreaks.com
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 06:03:11 am »

I know he likes Stephen King books, at any rate...
There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel