Author Topic: Satan's Fall in Thrash Metal Documentary  (Read 7910 times)

Offline cthulhuloid

• Mandrake
Satan's Fall in Thrash Metal Documentary
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:15:50 am »
If you know the documentary, then you know what I'm talking about, if not, get it and see it, it's worth the time loss.
Anyway, the main question that I'm about to ask is what concert is that footage taken from and does anyone at least know the name of it and if I could find it, unless someone here has that concert please do tell.
Too bad it only lasts about 4-5 seconds then continues in Celtic Frost - Circle of Tyrants.
I wanted to ask this one long ago but I couldn't register on the old forum.

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
Re: Satan's Fall in Thrash Metal Documentary
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 05:55:37 pm »
Mercyful Fate is thrash...even more so Satan's Fall is considered thrash?  wow I've got to see this documentary.  I think all my power/traditional metal stuff just changed genres.

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 06:19:09 pm »
A lot of fans of thrash and speed do also enjoy listening to KD and MF, though. Melissa and DBTO had a alot of speed metal moments, but I'm not so sure if I would go as far as calling it thrash. Both albums have more depth than that. Even Celtic Frost.

But still, cool anyway. :cool:

Offline Grinder

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 11:31:14 pm »
Celtic Frost sucks!

Mercyful Fate is about as thrash as Pat Benatar.  Unlike 99.9% of thrash garbage, Mercyful Fate had actual *gasp* musicality and feeling!  But you already know that ;)

Offline Moraitis

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Witches are evil. I worship the devil.
    • http://www.myspace.com/vildfaren
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 03:06:19 am »
Duh, Celtic Frost is gods! And thrash has a whole lot of feeling! Go listen to Vio-Lence!

Offline notmissy

• Unborn
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 09:04:28 pm »
When Mellisa was released the term thrash was not in wide spread use.  But if this documentary is talking about the history of thrash then it would not be complete without MF.  Bands such as Black Sabbith, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Iron Maiden, and MF had a great impact on the thrash bands that came latter.  A buddy of mine was friends with Gary Holt of Exodus who said that the heaviest shit that anyone listened to was MF and was a big influence for Bonded By Blood.

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 11:47:25 pm »
Duh, Celtic Frost is gods! And thrash has a whole lot of feeling! Go listen to Vio-Lence!

Exactly.  Nobody can just write off an entire music genre, especially if it's from metal  :cool:

I'd like to see anybody nowadays write a song that's simultaneously simple yet amazing as Dethroned Emperor or Necromantical Screams.  and their new one...a doom masterpiece. 

As for thrash not having feeling....I guess some people can only take so much aggression in their music. 

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2006, 01:00:40 am »
As for thrash not having feeling....I guess some people can only take so much aggression in their music. 

Well not really. In fact, I think that most Death and raw Black Metal have more feeling than straight up thrash, but certain thrash Metal bands do grasp my attention. It's just that sometimes certain typical thrash bands like Dark Angel and Testament bore me.

Offline cthulhuloid

• Mandrake
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2006, 05:54:44 am »
For the thrash metal listeners ont the forum please take some time and check out my thrash metal band Snapjaw, I made a poll in the Music Discussion.

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 09:47:29 am »
Well not really. In fact, I think that most Death and raw Black Metal have more feeling than straight up thrash, but certain thrash Metal bands do grasp my attention. It's just that sometimes certain typical thrash bands like Dark Angel and Testament bore me.

well yea I don't like those bands either.  Thrash is just like any other musical genre...you've gotta filter out those 10-20 bands that rule among the 1000 that suck.  Good thrash bands for me:

Slayer, Sodom, Demiricous, Kreator, Razor, Sacrifice, Destruction, etc. 

I've found so many traditional heavy metal bands, even, that just flat out suck IMO.  Every genre is littered with bullshit because everyone thinks that they can write music. 

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 05:24:54 pm »
I always thought Mercyful Fate was NWOBHM.

Maybe I'm nuts, but it seems wrong to pigeon-hole bands together, unless they are incredibly generic sounding. Sticking a band in a "genre" makes sense only if you are not a fan. I've seen metal mags back in the eighties that would have an article about King Diamond sandwiched between articles about Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, which to a non-fan might make sense, but to me seemed preposterous.

Myself, I rarely listen to heavy metal at all except for King, MF and GWAR. Mostly I listen to ambient stuff like Midnight Syndicate, old country music and talk radio!
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 06:05:09 pm »
Maybe I'm nuts, but it seems wrong to pigeon-hole bands together, unless they are incredibly generic sounding. Sticking a band in a "genre" makes sense only if you are not a fan. I've seen metal mags back in the eighties that would have an article about King Diamond sandwiched between articles about Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, which to a non-fan might make sense, but to me seemed preposterous.

True, but genres are handy to be able to give a quick description of a band. Though of course the problem is that a genre definition can be open to different interpretations.
-Goat

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 08:04:11 pm »
True, but genres are handy to be able to give a quick description of a band. Though of course the problem is that a genre definition can be open to different interpretations.

That's what genres are for....no one is pigeon holing anyone. Instead of taking 2 hours to explain a style of music you can give one or two words and they can have a general idea of what the band sounds like. Of course genres will be debated....name one thing in the world that is not debated on. There are no rules....everyone can have there own opinions and be right. Generes are a loose way to explain a certain sound

Offline Lance

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 08:04:06 pm »
I will say MF has some thrash metal moments in some songs but I don't like to categorize into sub genres I just call Mercyful Fate a heavy metal band :king: \m/

Offline blaskhyrk

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 05:22:08 am »
But i can ask, what about MF is in this document?

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 05:40:45 pm »
I always thought Mercyful Fate was NWOBHM.

Well my friend, you are wrong.