Author Topic: King and Hank on stage with Metallica  (Read 16979 times)

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
Re: King and Hank on stage with Metallica
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 09:12:34 am »
in all of the videos or DVDs I've seen of Mercyful Fate, Force Of Evil's live DVD, and the time I saw Mercyful Fate live, Hank pretty much just stands there and plays. he's not boring to watch or anything, he's just not a very visual performer based on what I've seen. other people may have footage or have had a concert experience that differs from mine, but I've never seen Hank jumping, headbanging, or otherwise cavorting around the stage. he just goes out there and tears it up.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Spooky

• Witches' Eye
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2008, 10:37:38 am »
in all of the videos or DVDs I've seen of Mercyful Fate, Force Of Evil's live DVD, and the time I saw Mercyful Fate live, Hank pretty much just stands there and plays. he's not boring to watch or anything, he's just not a very visual performer based on what I've seen. other people may have footage or have had a concert experience that differs from mine, but I've never seen Hank jumping, headbanging, or otherwise cavorting around the stage. he just goes out there and tears it up.

Hank stands still most of the time, but at least you can see him... in the footage I've seen, Denner usually stands half way in the darkness behind the spotlight.
-Life is like a penis... When it's hard, you get screwed... When it's soft, you can't beat it-

-Poli

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2008, 11:11:15 am »
i just find it a bit booring when they are just standing, its hard to make a nice scene show without moving around

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2008, 11:46:57 am »
i just find it a bit booring when they are just standing, its hard to make a nice scene show without moving around

I think that's fair....showmanship counts for a lot. most bands do not have someone as visual as King Diamond up front. Andy moves around a bit when the King Diamond band performs, but not much more than Hank does. I guess they can all afford to lay back and concentrate on their playing since King himself commands so much of the audience's attention.

- Ash, housewares

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2008, 02:06:23 pm »
There also comes a point when bands do to much. A lot of the new bands jump around on stage like damn super balls in an enclosed room. No matter what the song or style they jump around like A.D.D 6 year old children. I like the bands that do just enough. Bands like King Diamond and Mercyful Fate don't need to bounce around to draw you in.

I think the key is not "showmanship" as much as it's a matter of demanding respect and having a presence that says look at us.

Some bands jump around like idiots and still can't hold my attention while other bands stand there but there presence as a band is emense and rumbles through the audience. Than there are some bands that move around like crazy and still radiates there energy through out the crowd (like pantera)

It don't matter how its done as long as it's done. Hank don't need to move. When i watch him play i am entranced same with Andy.

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »
There also comes a point when bands do to much.

amen to that, bro!

I like to think that I'm a reasonably decent guitarist and hope that when I play people enjoy hearing it. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that I'm not much to look at while performing (come to mention it, I'm probably not much to look at anyway :gah:).....I need to concentrate on what I'm playing because I'm usually the only guitarist and I'm always switching back & forth from solos to rhythm parts. I could never accomplish that if I had to leap around the stage like a live trout in a hot skillet.

- Ash, housewares

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 02:42:07 pm »
i agree totally with you both right now, king diamond is music to jumb around to in my opinion, yet not by king himself.
andy actually dont do much upstage anymore yet he did alot in the old days as i remember by seing some old footage.
i think bands can overdo the headbanging yet it's hard to overdo.
yes there is alot of bands who just go crazy to weird places in bad or quiet songs, that is making me wonder :P

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 04:17:52 pm »
that was cool.

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 09:07:18 pm »
What occurs to me is that Kings voice sounds so good on this, better than on nearly any of the live MF recordings from their heyday that I have heard. It just hammers home how awesome a newly recorded Mercyful Fate live CD would sound, once King recuperates, that is.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline voodoo98

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2008, 05:40:07 pm »
it's really...weird seeing King sing without make-up on. He should do that often \m/

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2008, 08:32:55 am »
What occurs to me is that Kings voice sounds so good on this, better than on nearly any of the live MF recordings from their heyday that I have heard.

I agree 100%. the vocals are significantly better than what I'm used to hearing as well.

- Ash, housewares

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 09:02:46 am »
yeah actually this sounds just like on the records very nice vocals hardly never heard anything sound as close to the record version and still sound great! :D off course the albums do as well  :king:

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2008, 10:59:36 am »
something else that I thought was cool was that King is smiling a lot and very obviously having a good time. it struck me that I usually don't see that because he's normally in makeup and in 'character'. it looks like they were having a blast up there.

- Ash, housewares

Offline fathermalone

• Holy Shrine
    • myspace
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 12:06:40 pm »
Great video King sounds amazing..... But everyone is forgeting that Metallica plays with half a step down tuning instead of the regular standard tuning we are used to hearing King play, so everything sounds slighter lower pitched here. King even commented about this once in an interview

Offline TheUnnamedOne

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2008, 12:17:27 pm »
Great video King sounds amazing..... But everyone is forgeting that Metallica plays with half a step down tuning instead of the regular standard tuning we are used to hearing King play, so everything sounds slighter lower pitched here. King even commented about this once in an interview

Yeah, I remember him saying that he had forgot about that until right before it was time to go out on stage with Metallica and that he was terrified. But he said that he felt it was a lot easier to sing when the guitars was tuned down a half step.

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2008, 02:05:17 pm »
..... But everyone is forgeting that Metallica plays with half a step down tuning instead of the regular standard tuning we are used to hearing King play

yeah, you're right.....I forgot about that and didn't notice it the first time I watched the video.

- Ash, housewares

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2008, 02:34:26 pm »
also knew of this and have read the interview and i think he is doing it great! :king:
its one of the nicest vocals i have ever heard :D yet i think the original songs in original tuning is better ;)

Offline TheUnborn

• Salem
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 09:23:47 am »
I get the impression that Metallica was sort of hanging back and letting King & Hank take center stage. it's a Mercyful Fate medley after all....

Exactly!

Offline over

• Spirit
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 08:21:26 am »
I've never been fan of metallica, but I have to recognize this video is wonderful! :king:
Metallica is gaining credit in my opinion  :)

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 09:14:38 am »
This was awesome. They schooled Metallica for sure. Kirk on his best day couldn't keep up with Hank.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 11:17:59 am »
This was awesome. They schooled Metallica for sure. Kirk on his best day couldn't keep up with Hank.

I don't know about all that. I love hank and he might be better than Kirk but kirk aint no beginner

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2008, 11:29:47 am »
i can tell for sure Kirk can play WAY faster than Hank, but hey fast aint the same as good  :cool:

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2008, 01:26:50 pm »
Kirk is alright. He is over rated though. I really don't see why people think he is so good. Guys like Andy LaRoque, Alex Skolnick, Micheal Romeo would tear him to shreds.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2008, 06:35:25 am »
you left out Nuno Bettencourt? :P

Offline Blackthorn

• Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2008, 08:22:57 am »
Very cool video.  James had to fuck it up though by adding his vocals  >:(...I only really liked his singing on Kill 'Em All, I can't stand his post-Black Album style...Great performance by King, it's strange to see him singing without his paint.