Author Topic: 10 Years of Voodoo  (Read 10547 times)

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
10 Years of Voodoo
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:02:35 pm »
For us Americans, today marks the 10 year anniversary of the release of Voodoo.  I remember the date because this was the first KD CD I was going to get on the day it was released.  I got into King about a year before with the release of the Graveyard...still my favorite album of all time.  My best friend at the time happened to have a birthday that fell on Feb 24th, so he ran home, got his parents to let him go get his license (yup the big 16) and he came to pick all of us up.  I think there were four of us that were going to go get the CD and being that I was the first to get into King, I called dibs on the first copy.  As (merciless) fate would have it, I think there were only 2 or 3 copies.  So not everybody left with Voodoo in their hands. 

In a strange coincidence, Dead Again was scheduled to come out that year on my birthday though it was pushed back to June.

I think Voodoo is incredibly underrated (well shit, all post Them KD is) and is probably his most brutal album.  Admittedly, I really only listened to half the songs until maybe about 3 years ago.  I put it in on a whim and was blown away by Loa House, The Secret, and Salem. 

Believe it or not, I think Voodoo would make the most kickass KD movie and has the most potential to get made. 

Anyway, those are some random thoughts from a guy that doesnt listen to KD nearly as much as he used to or should but will always consider KD his favorite recording artist of all time.  I'm bummed about the tour being canceled but I find it hard to believe that King's years are limited.  I bet we will have many more opportunities to see him.  Get well soon King and thanks for the amazing music. 

Next month will mark my 11th year being a Diamond Banger.

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
Re: 10 Years of Voodoo
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:20:31 am »
Yeah, ten years ago I had the first real job, discovered the world of Internet and was lucky enough to find out all the info about my favorite bands. Thus, I learned about Voodoo being released.
This album is still very high in my KD favorite list. LOA House is the second best opener next to Welcome Home IMO.

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:58:23 am »
Voodoo is one of his all time best!
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:15:05 am »
I was just thinking about Voodoo because I am kicking myself over not loading it up on my iPod last week when I had a business trip to New Orleans. I kept thinking about it everynight as I walked back to hotel at 2am.

This was also the first King Diamond album that I did some promotion work on. I got a copy in advance and obtained permission to put clips online to download.  This was back when the MP3 encoder cost about 10,000 USD and took around 1 Hour per song. Fortunately I had a friend in Croatia that let me use his license in exchange for hearing the CD early.

Metal Blade allowed me to post 1 complete song in AM radio quality and a handful of higher quality clips. I hosted the files on my employer's server since the bandwidth was not being used much by the company. After the concert in April, I posted the concert photos on the site too.

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 09:45:57 am »
Super awesome album...great story that conjures up TONS of great imagery in my head perhaps more than any other king diamond album (well except for Abigail of course)

Offline gamemaster

• Lady In Black
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 02:55:05 pm »
i think the release of Voodoo,signifies the band's come-back,after several years of stagnancy.Although the 2 previous albums were not bad,the're not so inspired either.Voodoo paved the way,for House of God,Abigail II,Puppetmaster and finally for the best album since the release of the Eye,Give me your soul please!
A strong album,with which King slowly,but steadily,returns to greatness!

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 09:20:12 am »
It is such a great album.  The story, the music, just everything about it.  I love picturing the whole thing in my mind.  Especially the part where Sarah beats the hell out of the priest with the cross and his blood is all around!  I can picture it so clearly.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:44:16 am »
even though Voodoo is personally probably my least favorite KD album.. I have no problem admitting that the story IS great, as someone else said on these boards somewhere, the horror is on par to "THEM"

if more bands could be that

Offline voodoo98

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 06:14:12 pm »
Voodoo is indeed the best album by KD in my opinion. The mood the music puts you in, the atmosphere, the story, even the smell of the booklet! ...genius.  \m/

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 08:11:47 pm »
Voodoo is indeed the best album by KD in my opinion. The mood the music puts you in, the atmosphere, the story, even the smell of the booklet! ...genius.  \m/

Haha, yes, I've mentioned the smell of the Voodoo booklet before! I also like the little pictures of the characters.
-Goat

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 04:21:20 pm »
Ya know, I also think that this album is probably closest in the spirit of his 80s albums.  Now, I love all of his work and must emphasize that the Graveyard is my favorite, but I can't deny the amazing and impossible to duplicate feel of his 80s stuff.  I think a large part of it is the amount of reverb on his vocals.  It honestly sounds like he recorded his vocals in the massive front hallway of the Loa Mansion.  All the other production is just brutal.  One of the best mixes out there.

Offline The Betrayer King

• Victim Of The Coven
  • I'm going to hell in every religion
    • My band
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 04:26:39 pm »
This was the first album I bought and....uuufff.......it still making me dream with it
Keep on heavy

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 07:18:53 pm »
Who can shun an album containing, "The Exorcist". \m/

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 12:39:33 am »
Voodoo is the best King Diamond album from the 90's!
Salem, One Down Two To Go, "LOA" House and The Exorcist are my favourites. The story is one of KD's best and the vocal performance is absolutely suberb!

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 07:03:51 am »
One of the best for sure, I just cannot believe it has been ten years already!

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 10:25:05 am »
in addition to everything about the story, music, mix, and production that is so good you can add the fact that Dimebag guests on the title track. my two faves right there.....King Diamond and Dimebag Darrell Abbott.
                                                             \m/
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Lafeys Ghost

• The Preacher
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 06:04:12 pm »
cool story about a great album \m/

Offline Nachtsider

• Emerencia
  • Shadowmancer Supreme
    • Nachtsider at VampireFreaks.com
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 01:04:09 am »
Ya know, I also think that this album is probably closest in the spirit of his 80s albums.  Now, I love all of his work and must emphasize that the Graveyard is my favorite, but I can't deny the amazing and impossible to duplicate feel of his 80s stuff.

Quoted for truth. As I've stated elsewhere, Voodoo is, in my opinion, the only post-Eye album that managed to recapture the magic of Abigail.
There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel

Offline into the Convent

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 06:48:31 am »
I bought it on cassette and then CD and it has always rocked, but me heart will always adore ABIGAIL as master of all KD albums. \m/

Offline GraveyardWanderer

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 09:14:24 pm »
in addition to everything about the story, music, mix, and production that is so good you can add the fact that Dimebag guests on the title track. my two faves right there.....King Diamond and Dimebag Darrell Abbott.
                                                             \m/

Dime plays on Track 4 "Voodoo".

great album, it spooked me out which is a total win.

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 08:45:55 am »
Dime plays on Track 4 "Voodoo".

I would have given just about anything to be in the studio watching King & Dime at work on that. 

- Ash, housewares

Offline E.O.G.

• Haunted
  • Enemy Of God
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 05:04:55 pm »
This album gave me a pretty hard time to get into it,but I like it very much now.The story is OK,definitely not my fave,and I can't help but notice a little funny flow in it.In the opening "LOA house",King introduce us to the Lafayette's and when he tells us about Grandpa,he said:
"- White as snow,that all he sees,oh he's been blind for years."
Then later,in the song "Sarah's night",Grandpa said to Sarah:
"- I will stay here tonight and keep an open eye."

That was funny! :D:

[img]http://www.spv.de/banner/kreator_horde

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 07:50:26 am »
Then later,in the song "Sarah's night",Grandpa said to Sarah:
"- I will stay here tonight and keep an open eye."

I hadn't ever really thought about that before, but you're right. :)

- Ash, housewares

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 08:15:57 am »
I think you are taking that line too seriously.

Offline E.O.G.

• Haunted
  • Enemy Of God
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 08:32:11 am »
I think you are taking that line too seriously.

Haha...how can I take it seriously? I think it's kinda funny. :gah:

[img]http://www.spv.de/banner/kreator_horde