Author Topic: Any albums that you didn't like, but later grew on you?  (Read 13089 times)

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
Re: Any albums that you didn't like, but later grew on you?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 03:24:29 pm »
to me HOG was an instant favorite because of how utterly creepy the opening is.

I've only listened to it a few times, probably because I don't own it yet. ::)

I remember the substance being of high quality, but the production was to dry for a King album. I had the same problem with Abby 2, but I've gotten past it and grown to love it. HOG just needs some more time with me, that's all.

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 03:28:45 pm »
I understand, and have no doubt at all that it'll soon be on your list of favorites. :cool:
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 03:51:36 pm »
The biggest grower in King's repertoire is Into the Unknown. \m/

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 03:54:47 pm »
it's cool because I always like anything by either KD or MF the first time I hear it, then it begins to grow on me and I like it even more. I have yet to grow tired of any of it.
                                       \m/
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 04:01:43 pm »
Same here.

Come to think about it, he has a very strong discography. Quite a feat in itself, not many artists can say the same. :king:

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline E.O.G.

• Haunted
  • Enemy Of God
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 04:51:48 pm »
With the exception of "Abigail" and the "Puppetmaster" all of the other albums had to grow on me.King Diamond's music is very complex and difficult to "digest",so I always needed to give more than a few spins for every album to "get into it". I remember having a particularly difficult time with "Them" and "Voodoo",but I'm glad I was patient,'cos I love them now! :D:

[img]http://www.spv.de/banner/kreator_horde

Offline Chagosomar

• Angel Of Light
  • "Moonchild!!! Hear the mandrake scream!"
    • Deadly Fujow. A dark ambient project
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2008, 05:51:38 pm »
the graveyard took me quite a while to get into. but i love it now. king grows on you. most good music, lasting music, takes a bit to sink in.

Offline starscrea2

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008, 06:02:21 pm »
I didn't like The Spider's Lullabye at first. It seemed predictable, with a psychotic nurse named Nurse Needle and poor Harry getting strapped down and shot up. After a few listens, though, it was like "yeah....nurse needle, STICK IT IN!!" Then when I started learning about psychology more, particulary about different behavior therapies, the album really made me go "wow...this stuff really can happen!"

Offline Trepan

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 03:30:02 am »
With the exception of "Abigail" and the "Puppetmaster" all of the other albums had to grow on me.King Diamond's music is very complex and difficult to "digest",so I always needed to give more than a few spins for every album to "get into it". I remember having a particularly difficult time with "Them" and "Voodoo",but I'm glad I was patient,'cos I love them now! :D:

Don't give up on these two, they are amazing.  I think both of these are two of the best he has done.  When I first heard Puppet Master I was shocked.  He really raised the bar in my opinion, both musically and lyrically in that one.  I remember thinking also when I heard Graveyard that they had 'opened up' a fair amount musically instead of staying within the confines of typical metal.  It was very refreshing and in my opinion some of the best not only riffs but guitar tones are on that album.  He also did a very convincing head case in that one.

Into the night I go...

Offline Dr. Landau

• Haunted
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 04:04:11 pm »
Dead Again!  The first few times I listened to it I didn't think it was anything special.  It is now my second favorite Mercyful Fate CD behind The Beginning.

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2008, 10:55:29 pm »
KD/MF are the only groups that I can honestly say that I have pretty much dug every single release. Although admittingly I was a bit put off by the change in sound in MF after Michael Denner left to go run a record store. It took me awhile to appreciate Dead Again.

However I felt that the follow up 9 was one of the best Fate albums ever.  \m/

Offline BLACKEAGLEOFETERNITY

• Witches' Eye
  • NDK Team
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 09:00:43 am »
Conspiracy.Back in the early King Diamond days,'King' had changed his Face Paint,From the inverted cross to the spotted theme.His song writing was evolving into a new Animal in my opinion ,as well.I guess I was really into the Mercyful Fate style.Lyrically.Musically.It was Hard For me to adapt to the new angle he had taken.But at the same time,When He went on to the new thing, with the new band, I noticed that the new members Andy & Mikkey Dee had skills.It was the "Wicked Part" Of Kings songwriting that the fans loved.His older Mercyful Fate songs are favored by his fans,more so than his newer King Diamond Material.Some of my friends stopped listening to his new stuff altogether.I'm referring to the time span inbetween "Don't Break The Oath" & "Return Of The Vampire".I would Like King To Write Some new Material using The awesome King Diamond musicianship that the band possesses.With Lyics written in the style that you would hear by Mercyful Fate.Hailing Satan All the way to the top of the charts.With Kings experience.With just a little twist.In My book King Diamond is the King of Black Metal.Don't get me wrong,I love King Diamond/Mercyful Fate,What You Started 22+yrs ago is on the rise more than ever before.The Kids now a days want the satanic stuff.It's time you claim your seat on the throne Your Majesty.Make Anton Proud.King Diamond Melodies + Mercyful Fate Black Magic lyrics.Do it all the way.Glorify the Goat and go Gold Or Platinum To boot.Claim Your Kingdom And I'll Praise You For Doing So.I've Always believed in what you do K.B.P. P.S.Step Out With All that you are, a conquerer.I Believe In You.Sincerely,Andy From the Stone.Hail King Diamond
so many blackened wings

Offline harpocrates666

• Spirit
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 12:52:45 pm »
GMYS...P was my first King Diamond album, and it is my favorite album of any artist. It just plain rocks from start to finish. Right now I also have Fatal Portrait, Them, The Eye and The Puppet Master. I liked The Puppet Master immediately, but not as much as GMYS...P (which is my most played album in Itunes). I liked about half of the songs on The Eye immediately as well. I didn't like Them or Fatal Portrait the first couple times I listened to them (Fatal Portrait being my most recent purchase). However, on Sunday I listened to Fatal Portrait again and although I didn't instantly change my opinion I noticed that over the following couple of days I was singing some of the parts to myself. Now it's really growing on me. I listened to it twice yesterday and twice again today. Them really hasn't taken off for me yet, but I also listened to The Eye today and I noticed that I liked it a lot more than I had. I have feeling that Them is going to start growing on me soon too.

How about you? Any albums you didn't like at first?

It has been happening to me since Abigail II. Younger fans of King Diamond prefer the newest Albums and it´s hard to them to swallow all the old stuffs, but to me (an old fan) has take a long time to digest all the new albums. In my opinion it´s depend on the naturals differences  beetwin old headbungers and new generations.