Author Topic: DEAD AGAIN (10 years)  (Read 17825 times)

Offline coven13

• Just A Shadow
DEAD AGAIN (10 years)
« on: June 09, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »
Hail all the headbanger around the (under)world"

I woke up a little melancholy this morning, 10 years ago (09 jun 1998) was released the Mercyful Fate Album DEAD AGAIN, this album really impacted me, the atmosphere, the lyrics, the Art-cover and the tour.
Dead Again (and 9) in my opinion are albums that perfectly fits between Melissa and Don´t break the Oath, don´t get me wrong I love in the shadows, time and into the unknown…
I Just want to say that this is a Magic albums, whom King wrote with Faith, pain, sadness, fear & FATE.

Omar Guerra.

“I guess I'll have to stay dead
A little longer this time “
                        K. Diamond

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
Re: DEAD AGAIN (10 years)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
I still think this is MF weakest link. However, I have rediscovered both the Spider's Lullabye and the Graveyard recently. Two KD albums I have claimed to be on the bottom of my list in the past. Maybe it's the span of time that passed that has me liking it. However, Dead again does contain some great tracks...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 07:41:38 AM »
I guess this will be another one of those threads where we all have a different take on a particular album, this time Dead Again. personally, I love this album....especially the tracks 'the night' and 'dead again'. the other night I was listening to the title track (dead again) on my way home from the local bar, and as I was pulling into the space in front of my apartment the song was at the part where King is singing 'this is such a weird, weird song...' and I just rolled up my windows, let my truck idle, cranked the CD player up and just sat there while the rest of the song played. it was beautiful. that song has so many great parts to it, great solos, and the main riff just destroys. I never get sick of hearing it. if more bands could be that heavy while being that musical, I'd own a lot more CDs than I currently do.
                                                                     \m/
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
10 years already? It feels like it came out yesterday. :P I didn't like this album at first..but later I did, and it's great. My favourites are Torture (1629), The  Lady Who  Cries and Dead Again. :king: Bjarne is doing really kick ass drumming on this one. :)

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »
the album rocks no doubt about that!
but still it's my least favorite album because of the vocals isn't that good :P
but it is indeed a very nice album and it still rocks after 10 years!

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:23:13 PM »
if more bands could be that heavy while being that musical, I'd own a lot more CDs than I currently do.

This is probably one of the best things I've ever heard, it's going in my sig, so so so true. Thats exactly how I feel... not necessarily about the album, but most of my favorite bands have that edge.

I dont like Dead Again for the most part, It is probably my least favorite MF album, although The Lady Who Cres and Banshee are among my favorite Mercyful Fate songs.

if more bands could be that

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 05:02:58 PM »
For the time being, Dead Again seems to be MF's penultimate release. Let's meet back here in a year and discuss "9"...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 04:57:03 AM »
i'll be there :P

if more bands could be that heavy while being that musical, I'd own a lot more CDs than I currently do.                                                                  \m/

that surely is wise once again by you Azalin! :D

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 07:22:53 AM »
once again by you Azalin! :D

thanks, KOTR .....and you too Envenomed. your kindness is appreciated. :king:

my favorite music has always been both melodic and heavy. I think a good example would be the album 'Rainbow Rising' by Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, especially the song 'Stargazer'. the music isn't heavy by today's standards, but for 1976 it sure was. very powerful music indeed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_(Rainbow_album)

Uriah Heep was the same way. Deep Purple too...they rocked hard but all their songs had a very strong melodic component to them. Mercyful Fate is like that too, and King Diamond is especially so. to my taste, you get the best of both worlds with bands like them. the music stands on its own throughout the years and never gets boring....there's a lot more to it than just a bunch of rowdy vocals hung on a riff.

- Ash, housewares

Offline THF

• Fatal Portrait
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 07:34:26 AM »
This also means that it's now ten years since I started to listen to MF. (Bought Dead Again when it came out and it was my first MF album) :king:

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »
I have that Rainbow album on Vinyl and there is one reason! ITS GREAT!!!!
exacly melodic yet heavy and with nice guitar riffs from Blackmoore even nicer Vocals from DIO that album can rock my ass off every day!

Offline apeshaven

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 09:49:43 AM »
for me it was a weak album too...
nice songs of course, just some feeling left...
the lady who cries and banshee are  :king: anyway

...maybe if it had been a little shorter, who knows...
time flies anyway...

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 01:25:11 PM »
The thing that continues to amaze me about Fate is their stubbornly strong discography. Not even a ten year hiatus can keep them from screaming back with another glorious slab of melodic( :cool:) heavy metal. In the Shadows sounds like it could've been released just a year after Don't Break the Oath. Mark of a great band if you ask me.

Now that I'm done fallating the fuck out of Mercyful Fate, I guess I should comment on Dead Again. One of my favorite post reunion albums. My second to be exact, just behind Time. The incorporation of a doomier sound always struck home with me, being a avid doom metal fan and all. The only real problem I have with Dead Again is, like mentioned earlier, is King's performance. After years of fronting two bands, King's voice sounds incredibly strained and forced, like most of his 90's work. Putting that aside there's not much to complain about.

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 01:39:48 PM »
The only real problem I have with Dead Again is, like mentioned earlier, is King's performance. After years of fronting two bands, King's voice sounds incredibly strained and forced, like most of his 90's work. Putting that aside there's not much to complain about.
well as you said there we have my problem about it too, not too good vocals on this one, and it countinues a little on ''9'' nut much but a little

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
it's odd to me that anyone would perceive King's voice as sounding strained on Dead Again (or '9' for that matter). it sounds as strong as ever to me on both albums. in addition, some of the cleanest vocals I've ever heard from King are on both albums as well......the 'I'm beginning to miss you again, why can't I just get you out of my mind' from Dead Again and the backing vocals in 'I Sold My Soul' are both very clean and clear to me.

then again, I do believe I already mentioned that this looks like another one of those threads where we all hear shit differently, so I'm not too surprised.
                                                                 :)

- Ash, housewares

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »
Damn Straight!

It's not that i dont like the vocals or anything i just think he have done better at the other albums.
i think that makes Dead Again a more unique album than the others because it sound so different and crazy.
he is living more into this album than the others thats kinda how it sounds to me

Offline The Betrayer King

• Victim Of The Coven
  • I'm going to hell in every religion
    • My band
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 06:05:02 PM »
HAPPY B DAY DEAD AGAIN
Keep on heavy

HeartOfWinter9

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »
Im not to fond of Dead Again,I just cant get into it.

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 10:19:38 PM »
In the Shadows sounds like it could've been released just a year after Don't Break the Oath. Mark of a great band if you ask me. 
I think In The Shadows sounds more like King Diamond than Mercyful Fate. Or maybe not more, but it sounds the most King Diamondish Mercyful Fate album to me. :P

Offline Envenomed627

• Gypsy
  • The Girl Next Door Isn't There Anymore
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 11:51:10 PM »
I can see what you're saying there. In The Shadows I think is the most atmospheric MF album since Don't Break The Oath.

if more bands could be that

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »
I think In The Shadows sounds more like King Diamond than Mercyful Fate. Or maybe not more, but it sounds the most King Diamondish Mercyful Fate album to me. :P

Yeah I agree. I meant in terms of song quality, usually when a band goes on hiatus and then eventually reunites, the song quality drops significantly. Reunited Fate sounds just as furious and energetic as they did before the split.

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 11:08:34 AM »
Yeah I agree. I meant in terms of song quality, usually when a band goes on hiatus and then eventually reunites, the song quality drops significantly. Reunited Fate sounds just as furious and energetic as they did before the split.

For me, the pre-spilt MF will allways be onestep ahead of the reuinion-stuff.
Like, whatever.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 12:28:06 PM »
For me, the pre-spilt MF will allways be onestep ahead of the reuinion-stuff.

it is for me as well, well... kinda!
because i can see how much they all have improved on playing from Dont Break The Oath and Melissa to In The Shadows....
there is alot of riffs and stuff from In The Shadows that are actually damn hard to play and make sound the right way.

i love both reunion and Pre-split!

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 01:13:56 PM »
I'd agree that there is a different sound between the pre-split and reunited MF recordings, but I like them both the same. also as a bit of perspective for this topic, I'd suggest that either representation of Mercyful Fate still blasts the crap out of what most other bands are/were doing at the time.

- Ash, housewares

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 02:33:59 PM »
I'd agree that there is a different sound between the pre-split and reunited MF recordings, but I like them both the same. also as a bit of perspective for this topic, I'd suggest that either representation of Mercyful Fate still blasts the crap out of what most other bands are/were doing at the time.
once again well spoken :P
yeah Mercy before and after Reunion can kick the ass of every band in this world!