Author Topic: Metallica and King Diamond - Ozzfest 2008  (Read 30353 times)

Offline Dr Demented

• Banshee
  • "I am burning for you..."
    • Michael Griffey on Facebook
Re: Metallica and King Diamond - Ozzfest 2008
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 01:24:55 pm »
Hi all.
Just wanted to join in with a comment or two on this great event.
Would have loved to be there, but had other commitments.

”...and James should just stick to playing guitar because he doesn't have the voice anymore and he definitely should leave the singing to King” C’om on guys…….they were doing this to have some fun…not working on a Grammy winning performance.

Thanks for reading the thread, Ole!
I know they were just having fun...and it was very cool to see King on stage again with his friends...there are just a few of us who don't think Metallica has the same musical integrity as King. I wrote a little about it on another messageboard: http://indymetal.acidpit.org/phpBB

Take King Diamond's career in contrast. If you listen to Fatal Portrait and then listen to his last album you can definitely tell that the music has evolved as the years went by. That's fine. That's a mix of new technology and new ideas, there's nothing wrong with that. We don't expect King to stay stuck in an 80's formula, but you'll also notice that he has kept his fans happy by never forgetting where he came from. He still remains a very humble man considering he spearheaded an entire genre.

There's also the talent factor. King has had and STILL has some of the best musicians in the world, in my opinion. Andy LaRocque and Mike Wead would whip the shit out of Hetfield and Hammett any day of the week. I'd put LaRocque and Wead up against nearly ANY metal guitarist still alive today and this team would steamroll them.

It's almost like the age old Megadeth vs. Metallica thing. Mechanix vs. The Four Horsemen. Listening to those songs is like the difference between Mozart and Salieri.

Metallica really hurt themselves in the eyes of many old-school fans who thought that when they changed their formula, they weren't remaining true to the fans who made them what they are...where King has stayed with the times but hasn't let his fans down. That's part of the reason we are so loyal to him and his music. He deserves our respect and admiration for having contributed so much in the last 25+ years and staying true to his own vision instead of what some advertising agency says is "hot" right now.

THE DEVIL IS A TRUCK DRIVER
http://www.michaelgriffey.com

Offline Nefarious_Priest

• Superpostwhore
  • One of the TYRANTS!!!!
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 03:18:38 pm »
I just watched it today and my god how fucking brilliant it was. Metallica and King Diamond both on top of their game, playing and signing like they were back in the early '80s. Superb. Both deserve a lot of praise for the medley and collaboration!
\m/ Abbath \m/ \m/ Demonaz \m/ \m/ Horgh \m/
[IMG]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/nefarious_p

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 03:41:29 pm »
im listening to the Soundboard audio of Mercyful Fate with King Diamond on vocals and it kicksass  \m/
cool to see Ole posted,thanks

Offline Dagon

• Charon
  • Am I awake or is this just a dream?
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 04:47:37 pm »
Totally awesome performence by King and Metallica. :cool:
"Cthulhu Fhatagn"

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »
Totally awesome performence by King and Metallica. :cool:
yeah it was good  :king:
they kicked ass

Offline JDHELLION

• Unborn
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2008, 04:52:16 am »
u can't imagine how happy i am to see u back on stage
keep strong, keep rockin
hope to see u sometime live in Portugal

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2008, 11:15:48 am »
of course i can see the funny thing Ole, and i can tell why he did sing with King, i just say that i like Kings voice better alone and not with James :P  :cool:
Jason was better at backing vocals than James, me thinks. :cool:
Downloaded the 2 cd's from http://www.livemetallica.com and hearing the medley with King right now.
Excellent stuff !

Glad to see King having a great time. (on the video that is)  \m/
I bought it too, it's awesome. \m/

Offline fathermalone

• Holy Shrine
    • myspace
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2008, 02:29:07 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB9uy5mC8wY

here is a youtube link to a high quality recording of the show with king and metallica.... sounds great!  :fingers:

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2008, 06:29:07 am »
You lucky bastards! Wish I was there! :gah:

what he said

Offline jakedirt

• Spirit
  • XVX
    • ASHTRAY DIRT
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2008, 07:41:19 am »
two of my favorite bands/people. wish i was there.
that should be a tour.
SOH08

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2008, 08:03:15 am »
BTW King's voice does sound better. Maybe it's the pause he had.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2008, 03:31:49 pm »
Jason was better at backing vocals than James, me thinks. :cool:
me thinks so too :P

BTW King's voice does sound better. Maybe it's the pause he had.

i dont really think youre right here pal, i think his voice was awesome before too, he just didn't have to sing the old Mercy classics, we got Come To The Sabbath and Evil in Denmark last time and they sounded just this way, they rocked my ass off! never seen such a good show!
it's deffinently not the pause cause i have seen King do even better than this and belive me, when he is fully healed he will be better than a vocal machine, he will be tearing your ears apart, in a good way :D

Offline setibevol88

• Up From The Grave
  • I'll find a pic soon enough....
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2008, 04:55:39 pm »
I know I was over the moon to see King's update about joining Metallica on the stage at OZZFEST...then, to have seen the pics!??    MAN!!!     Looked like the crowd on hand were just beside themselves!!!

King..I know you're slowly but surely on the mends...hopefully those new tips you got will make your healing twice as expedient...but man, it was SUPREME to see photo-documented proof of you on stage again!!    Can't wait to see the youtube footage (soon as we get our internet hooked back up again, that is!)!!!
WHERE'S MY COFFEE!!!??

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 10:27:21 pm »
That was awesome! It makes me want to hear King perform that medley during one of his own shows, with his own band. I love medleys like that, like Weird Al's Polkas on 45, or that video of Gwar performing their entire 1st record in 12 minutes.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Blackest

• Victimized
  • Sleepless Nights
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 03:58:15 am »
I didn't expect King's voice so good after more than a year of inactivity! Great!!! :king:

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 04:14:14 am »
^ he rested and went there to rock 'n' roll! \m/

Amazing performance! :king: Now I can't wait for the tour! I'll be there for fuckin' sure! :cool:
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline Alila

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 02:37:58 pm »
lol one of those comments said king diamond sings like a chicken. I would like to know where you has heard a chicken sing and if he hasn't than i would like to know why he automatic assumes a chicken would suck at singing. If chickens sing anything like King Diamond than a chicken is my new favorite animal of all time

You know what :) this is going to be my favorite quote of 2008 :P

Damn... I hate our stupid government policies  >:D Youtube's been banned for 4 months now ! and I can't see the video (unless I take the "other" way around.. *insert a "King Diamond" laughter here.. preferably the one in The Graveyard :P* )

Offline Alila

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 03:06:32 pm »
Wow... King you are the best there is !

Are you sure you were inactive for a year and a half :P hehe good to see you up there and I just hope that I can see you live one day :)  :king:

Offline BLACKEAGLEOFETERNITY

• Witches' Eye
  • NDK Team
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:44 am »
 I missed it.I Hope your all Happy. :die: :die:
so many blackened wings

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 05:40:39 am »
:gah: ??
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2008, 08:20:23 am »
like Weird Al's Polkas on 45

I'd LOVE to hear a "Weird Al" KD medley polka-style. I can just hear "So he pushed her down on the stairs" accompanied by an accordian and his band...

:D
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 09:01:41 am »
I missed it.I Hope your all Happy. :die: :die:

Yes, in fact I`m delighted. My every consious second is dedicated to your misery, and I hope all the bad things in life happens to YOu and nobodybut you. So today I`m celebrating thefact that you, like most of us in here, didn`t see the show!!!! Party!!!
 :gah:
Like, whatever.

Offline undeadbob

• Salem
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 01:20:23 pm »

Metallica really hurt themselves in the eyes of many old-school fans who thought that when they changed their formula, they weren't remaining true to the fans who made them what they are...where King has stayed with the times but hasn't let his fans down. That's part of the reason we are so loyal to him and his music. He deserves our respect and admiration for having contributed so much in the last 25+ years and staying true to his own vision instead of what some advertising agency says is "hot" right now.

well said

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2008, 02:38:35 pm »
Why should Metallica or any other band do what their 0ldsk00l fans ask? Bands make music, and the fans decide if they like it or not, not the other way around. ::)

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2008, 10:25:31 am »
Why should Metallica or any other band do what their 0ldsk00l fans ask? Bands make music, and the fans decide if they like it or not, not the other way around. ::)

"No, I want them to make music for me, buhuuu! They suck because they make the music they want to, anot what I (MEMEMEMEME) want them to do!!!" :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Like, whatever.