Author Topic: If you were the producer for the next KD album...  (Read 14141 times)

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
Re: If you were the producer for the next KD album...
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2007, 11:33:29 pm »
And this is more my own personal taste, but King and Fate have been regularly sited as a major influence on the development of black metal, so I've often wondered what would happen if a black metal influence crept into the sound of a King Diamond album.

As much as I love Black Metal, I don't think that would work well for King Diamond. Well, it also depends on what element of Black Metal you're talking about. Surely can't be the vocals, thin production or buzz saw guitars.

However, I would love to hear some old school Death Metal riffage mixed in with his classic style. Now that would be badass.

Offline Charcaroth

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 05:20:12 pm »
Certainly not the vocals! I was thinking more about the more prominant use of eerie keyboards, the sharp, spikey guitar sound (actually, a la "Don't Break the Oath" too), and the ferocious and epic riffing style. I agree with the death metal too, there was a great, Gothenburg style death riff on "House of God" in The Pact that was awesome.

Offline Mohican

• Gypsy
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 10:19:02 am »
I have been thinking much about that and i must say the main thing what i would change...is the SOUND.
Everything was good until 1990-s...then something totally changed.

You know, both of the KD albums with producer Tim Kimsey were too dry and too quiet for me...i mean where were the drums...i wanna hear drums!? (especially on "Spiders Lullabye")
And "Graveyard" too...the power was gone.

And then came "Voodoo" and "Dead Again" in 1998, both with producer Sterling Winfield (Pantera) and they just blew me away - powerful raw sound...heavy drums, shrieking vocals...that`s just what i was waiting! It was perfect!

Next, Kol Marshall and House Of God....and again, the power is gone, sound is too pure and too dry...it`s just too sterile for me....this kind of music should not be THAT pure...it will lose it`s power then.
Same with "Abigail II" and "The Puppet Master" - i mean, the music itself is brilliant, i absolutely love it...but i really really want that power back.
I mean...compare...listen for example "Dead Again" and "Abigail II" at the same volume level and you see what i mean....there IS a big difference...in volume, in power, in magic.

I don`t know..maybe i am the only one, who thinks that way :)
But bring back Sterling Winfield!  :king:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:02:51 pm by Mohican »
You and me...we`re not even the same species...

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 11:10:30 am »
I somewhat agree, time for big drumsound again. And Maybe Roberto back to play keyboards... :)

Offline Lance

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 07:01:41 pm »
Just make the riffs a little heavier a la the intro to "The Family Ghost" or the Don't Break the Oath album riffs other than that I would change nothing

Offline gauss

• Unborn
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »
from a technical point of view i'd use more heavily gated drums, but that's just me.
more variation in crash cymbals. they all sound too similar.

also the "dry" vocals HAVE to go imho.
i guess king liked the vibe of dry vocals on the graveyard so much. sorry- the vocal style sounds better in the mix "wetter".

i don't know what happened w/ the guitars. voodoo sounded great but everything else from graveyard to puppet master had flubby sounding guitars.
somebody get a 2203 w/ a tc booster+ in front... please.

there are modern ways of having that upper mid content w/out having it sound like a bad lee jackson mod'd amp.

most importantly- open w/ a killer intro.
portrait, abigail, them, voodoo had them... the rest had so so intros w/ mediocre narratives.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 10:12:39 pm by gauss »