Author Topic: Am I the only old King Diamond fan?  (Read 30708 times)

Offline JohnChrist!!!

• Ghost of Change
Re: Am I the only old King Diamond fan?
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2008, 06:23:35 am »
you guys are old :P
my father is 42 and he is the one who got me into King Diamond and Mercyful Fate :P

I do not like to personally think of myself as "old", maybe more mature or wise or experienced. The age is just a number to me...Heavy Metal music keeps me young at heart however. I am also a grand-father, twice over. But, still am not considering myself as...old!!! :fingers:
John Christ!!!

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Superpostwhore
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2008, 06:24:03 pm »
Obviously this is a spin-off from the Am I the only young King Diamond fan? thread. Very soon, I shall be 40. And it seems like yesterday that I was listening to DBtO for the first time at a friends' house or on his new Jensen cassette player for his car. The memory cheats, especially after all the alcohol and bong resin abuse during my youth. I wasn't completely sold on MF yet. But when my friend taped the album for me, and after a few repeated first listens, I became completely hypnotised by the musicianship, atmosphere and vocals. And I hadn't any lyrics or was really aware that MF had a satanic image. Melissa was shortly obtained next. A year later I discovered that MF had broken up, only to disciver that the lead singer and a few other musicians from MF were forming another band. After getting a copy of Fatal Portrait during my senior year in high school, I was completely sold on King and MF, and since then my devotion has been absolute.

I believe I was around 14...
Ha!!! You just basically told how I found out about Mercyful Fate, cept I knew they were Satanic, and loved them for it. Fatal Portrait almost drove me away cuz I was so pissed they were getting away from the satanic stuff, but the music drew me back. Can't beat the Kings talent, he is the man :king:

Oh and yes I am 38 so Im an old fart like you lol

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 08:15:12 am »
I had a few other friends who didn't care too much for the King Diamond band, but were big fans of MF. I never understood this 'cause I always felt that Fatal Portrait was an extension of MF, that unofficial third album that many fans and magazines would title. Even when I purchased DBtO lp and read the lyrics, it still didn't hit me the lyrics were satanic. I just thought they were horror stories. Slayer was the band that made more aware of their image and MF's. Don't know why? I didn't even get it with Venom. I just thought they were apart of the thrash horror metal genre. But I'd have to say out of all of the metal bands that I listen to, more than half have are satanic themed...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline sataniss

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 03:48:27 pm »
I can understand , i recieved a king diamond solo album, no pres for christmas, on a 45,from a fate fan who didnt enjoy it in 85 ,when i was 13 ! I became a fan of both kings bands! i  found out about fate in 93 ! So 37 is old 2! keep rockin i still am !

Offline 0phelias*raven

• Fatal Portrait
  • One Day Will Be The Last Day. So Live Love.
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 03:52:37 pm »
I'm another 37 year old...When I saw this thread, I thought the OP was going to say they were over 60!!!! ::)

Seems a lot of us are over out teens now, join the club friend! :cool:

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 04:41:35 pm »
yeah, 37 is not old. People seem to to think that people in their teens are the only batch of young people in the world. If you're not a teen anymore, ohhhhh. You must be old.

Offline Invisible72

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2008, 12:11:00 am »
I guess I am a young one here...I will be 36 on Dec. 19th (Day of the Hellraisers) >:(! I've been into King Diamond since "Them". I'm wearing the t-shirt right now!

I was in my first band at the age of 16...the other guitarist said that the guy that I replaced was getting into weird music like King Diamond and he couldn't play with him anymore. Well I thought this dude was kind of a...well anyway...I decided to check out King Diamond for myself and I discovered some guitar playing that completely blew me away and still does to this day and is a great influence on my own playing. The current line-up is the best since the "Them"-"The Eye" era. King's stories are great for the imagination...I feel lucky to have a movie projector in my head when I read things. Too bad no one has turned any of them into a movie yet. I later converted that other guitar player into a full fledged King Diamond fan. Heavy, scary, beautiful music. They used to say Baroque Metal. I love it.  :P

Thanks to King, Andy and the rest of the Diamondbangers! :king:

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 04:35:27 pm »
To answer your question no your not the only King diamond fan whom has aged despite the popular and foolish belief that heavy metal in whatever form it may take is a young persons music.  I myself am in my mid 30s have been a fan of King since the early days where as some may have not.  Point being that if a person young or old enjoys something there is no rules set forth to say well your too old to like metal  or your too young to even know what it is i mean even a child can look at a painting from a artist who has been dead for 400 years and find something they like despite the world around them and also stay true to what they like thats what really matters when all said and done.

Stay Heavy  your never too old to do that !
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline graveyard17

• Possessed
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 08:29:10 am »
I turn 42 in January and have been a huge fan since 1984.

Offline Vlad the Impaler

• Charon
  • The Saw is Family.
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2008, 01:29:49 am »
Well i'm 32 and have been a fan for a long time, and will be a fan on my Death Bed.  \m/
Pain has a face, Allow me to show it to you.

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2008, 08:18:38 pm »
I want Last Rites played at my...last rites...

Offline satanicus

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 08:06:06 am »
Never too old for rock n roll!

I turn 42 in January

Offline nightshadow

• Unborn
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2009, 04:47:53 am »
Well, as a matter of fact I turned 50 years old last year here in li'l ol' Denmark and guess I qualify for the title... :D:

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2009, 07:35:09 am »
you're about King's age. It's normal he has fans from his generation!...not that I'm that far behind!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2009, 08:15:15 am »
I´m 29 years old and I listen KD AND MF 15 years, and it is a great experience any band in the world make me happy, king diamodn voce is the top, hightest falsettos is incredible horror histories, ect
the 90`s was great Two band in the same time (mf and kd) I dream that the big notice that kd will give us will be that the both band another time will stay in the way and maybe a dvd oficial with big show of both
only my dream dont see the light of day (DVD OR BOTH WIHT ACEPTABLE QUALITY) 
BAMT

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2009, 12:41:06 pm »
I'm 30 years old and feel like I'm right in the middle of on one hand the old bunch that discovered KD and/or MF in the 80's and on the other hand the young fans (teens, low 20's) with minor experience. Unlike most of you I became a fan when I was already grown up, about 11-12 years ago. Bought the A Dangerous Meeting compilation album out of curiousity, must have been in -98, whixh is a great way to get aquainted with the music of both MF and KD!

Maybe this should be another spin-off thread, but I just wanted to know how you feel about getting older and still being fans of not only metal, which in itself is frowned upon by "normal" people, but such eccentric and provocative bands as King and Fate? My old friends from when I started to listen to this stuff have either turned to other kinds of music, lost interest in music altogether (which is SAD!) or I lost contact with them. I can't see myself ever getting to old or "mature" for this, and it's sure good to see there are other here who obviously feel the same way.

Long live the King!  :king:

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:44 pm »
Some fans move on. Others are more hard-headed. Such as I. I have plenty of fantacisms, and MF/KD is just one of many. And most of my friends have matured from their younger days. As others are more predictable. I, like King, endeavor to maintain a certain continuity...

METALLATEM

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2009, 06:55:31 pm »
.Im 37. King is 52. Its all good!  :)    \m/

Offline Room of the Golden Air

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Dying for a cup of tea!
    • dissentedpremise@myspace.com
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 02:23:45 am »
I am 33 and have listened to King since '89 when I got the Conspiracy cassette from a truck stop while on a family vacation.  The next 20 years is history!!  :king: 
Currently I live in the "bible belt" going to school, and work a job with the public, and in 3.5 years I have met 1 King Diamond fan.  I piss all the gangster children off when I tell them I'm going home to drink milk, eat cookies, and listen to King Diamond!!   :king:
(O.K., sometimes it's milk after a pint or so! :D: )

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 02:25:15 am »
I am 17! i am so goddamn old! i can feel my back hurting :D

It's great the old fans still keeps on living this music :D

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2009, 07:39:32 am »

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2009, 07:52:47 am »
Really?? Oh, MY aching back...
Yea really :D

18 in July!!  \m/

Offline TJ

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Vampyre at heart.....
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:12 pm »
Ha! Only 17, oh my god, ha again, with the way you talk i thought you were much older. You kept saying earlier how you couldn't go to the bar and i thought you were on probation or something. Ha!

Anyways, I haven't worked at all today so i might as well keep it this way. I am like the guy above who is in the middle, i didn't know much of MF before KD but of course bought it all and caught up instantly. I am 32 and have listened since i was around 16 and have pretty much defended MF/KD ever since. If I am in face paint, its KISS, KISS, KISS ugh....I am not KISS, but never let it get me down. Still listen to MF/KD and will never stop. Hail!  :king:

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2009, 03:05:47 pm »
Ha! Only 17, oh my god, ha again, with the way you talk i thought you were much older. You kept saying earlier how you couldn't go to the bar and i thought you were on probation or something. Ha!

Anyways, I haven't worked at all today so i might as well keep it this way. I am like the guy above who is in the middle, i didn't know much of MF before KD but of course bought it all and caught up instantly. I am 32 and have listened since i was around 16 and have pretty much defended MF/KD ever since. If I am in face paint, its KISS, KISS, KISS ugh....I am not KISS, but never let it get me down. Still listen to MF/KD and will never stop. Hail!  :king:
Hahaha im glad someone thinks i am older and... on probation hahaha! does i sound that crazy? :gah:

nope 17 and Danish :D

The Kiss thing have i gotten a shit load of times as well! damn it can make me mad everytime i get it, especially here in Denmark! people should know better. They don't know King Diamond and they don't know Kiss cause then they would know that the Kiss make up looked no way like this :D

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »
Any pics of you guys in face paint? I'm just waiting for a masquerade to have an excuse to try it myself! :D: