Author Topic: 1984 Kerrang! Dave Dickson interview  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
1984 Kerrang! Dave Dickson interview
« on: November 15, 2008, 11:31:00 am »
Does anyone have a transcript of this infamous interview?
I keep reading that it was inconsistent, or that it led to the break-up of Mercyful Fate.

Here's something I found that resumes what is best-known about it. http://www.netglimse.com/celebs/pages/king_diamond/index.shtml

"Unlike many other heavy metal artistes who have used occult-related themes for shock or theatrical value (Black Sabbath, Slayer) or parody - intentional or not - (Venom), Diamond openly admits to being a Satanist and a follower of the late Church of Satan leader Anton LaVey, with whom he became friends during the latter years of LaVey's life. This has caused much controversy in Diamond's career. In the early-to-mid 1980's existence of Mercyful Fate, some potential fans were repelled by the open and overt Satanism in Fate's lyrics, whilst others embraced it. Many familiar with this time period will recall a spring 1984 interview with British heavy metal magazine Kerrang! correspondent Dave Dickson, who, after some introductory remarks and questions about the then-current Fate album Don't Break The Oath, took Diamond to task on his Satanic beliefs. Dickson made frequent references to infamous occultist Aleister Crowley, whom Diamond denied being influenced by. He made his following of LaVey very clear in this interview. Some have said that this interview led to the demise of Mercyful Fate, though Diamond has always denied this. Diamond's personal brand of Satanism has been paradoxical to many. He has said "I don't go for evil things"; "the words Satan and Lucifer do not mean evil to me", and "I don't have anything against Christians or their beliefs," (in direct contrast with LaVeyan philosophy), yet he adorns himself with inverted crosses, Baphomet symbology and has written lyrics very hostile to Christianity. However, with the albums released under his own name, he has downplayed the overt Satanism in favour of a "horror movie" approach, though he still wears the inverted crosses, both as jewellery and makeup."
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
Re: 1984 Kerrang! Dave Dickson interview
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:40:32 am »
Yes, I have a copy of that famous interview.  Dave Dickson acted like a pathetic little child and I thought that King handled it as well as any one could.  That is one of the interviews I am going to try and get scanned in a couple of weeks and then I was going to post it here along with some other ones that I have.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:41:51 am »
Cool! thanks!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 11:54:28 am »
Your welcome.  It will take a couple of weeks though as I am in the middle of moving and stuff so maybe when I see some family members during Thanksgiving I will give them a copy of it and they can take it and scan it for me and email it to me then I will post it here for everyone.  You won't believe how that Dave Dickson acts it is really weird.  Every one I have shown it too so far can't believe how he acts during that interview to King.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Nachtsider

• Emerencia
  • Shadowmancer Supreme
    • Nachtsider at VampireFreaks.com
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 01:54:15 pm »
Take your time, prhill. It should be an interesting read.
There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 09:29:39 pm »
Just wanted everyone to know that I have no business trips for 3 weeks so I'll be home.  I got my box of King Diamond stuff in front of me and I'll be scanning everything in the box.  I think I will pass it all on to Kisswhacks for his website.  Seems the best place to put it all.

Offline KISSWacks

• Possessed
  • MF/KD F.A.Q.
    • The MF/KD F.A.Q.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 05:28:39 am »
That sounds like great idea!

I'll put it up on the site as fast as I can when I get it.

My e-mail: admin@mfkdfaq.com

/KISSWacks

Just wanted everyone to know that I have no business trips for 3 weeks so I'll be home.  I got my box of King Diamond stuff in front of me and I'll be scanning everything in the box.  I think I will pass it all on to Kisswhacks for his website.  Seems the best place to put it all.

Offline MercyfulRobin

• Just A Shadow
  • She does make a good cup of tea!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 12:49:07 pm »
Please send a link to your website when u are done!  :king:
She does make a good cup of tea!

Offline KISSWacks

• Possessed
  • MF/KD F.A.Q.
    • The MF/KD F.A.Q.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 01:04:35 pm »
The link to my site is: http://www.mfkdfaq.com

Check it out!

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 01:10:13 pm »

It`s in his signature  :)
Like, whatever.

Offline MercyfulRobin

• Just A Shadow
  • She does make a good cup of tea!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 01:13:10 pm »
Ops.. i didn't see that! Awesome website!  :king:
She does make a good cup of tea!

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 07:04:16 am »
Will the Dave Dickson interview be among the things you scan and put there?

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 11:02:28 pm »
I don't have the Dave Dickson interview, but I have tons of really awesome stuff.  I just found out that I have some water damage to the box though.  I have a fan club letter from Denmark back in 1988/1989 and it's kinda messed up.  I ordered the extra "Mercyful Fate Lyric Sheet" and that is kinda messed up too.  I'll scan what I can from that and send to Kisswacks over the next two days...

Offline undeadbob

• Salem
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 03:11:07 pm »
prhil is the fucking man

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 07:02:36 am »
Thanks.  I am still in the moving procces, which is going very slowly with a lot problems at my new place so things are still packed.  But I did give the interviews to a family member who is going to scan them and send them to me real soon at which point I will post them on here ASAP!

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 02:46:26 pm »
 I do have the attachments of the pages  to those interviews I promised.  The famous one with Dave Dickson and the one from Lucifer Rising, and one other one, however it has been a nightmare for some reason to get them copied and pasted onto a new post.  I have had experts try and even computer people at various computer shops and no one is able to figure out yet how to get these interviews that were scanned to copy and paste into a post here.  But I will keep trying.

Offline KISSWacks

• Possessed
  • MF/KD F.A.Q.
    • The MF/KD F.A.Q.
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 06:41:35 am »
Finally I have started uploading articles on the website. Check out them at: http://www.mfkdfaq.com/picture_show.php?cat=4

More coming soon.

Thanks to Cornloaf.

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 10:22:12 am »
Great articles and interviews!  thanks a lot. 
I love the part where King says how some people told him they were glad that he got out of the Satanism stuff in his lyrics and life as King laughs saying that the lyrics and his beleifs have never changed, but that people thought they did just because he stopped using the word Satan for a while.   That is funny how people can be that stupid thinking that he changed just because he stopped using one little word, how funny :D:

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 01:07:23 am »
Can anyone post those here? I can't save them from Kisswacks' page :(
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2008, 06:57:20 am »
I love how King said that idiots like Geraldo and others should actually read the Satanic Bible before saying that Satansim has to do with evil things that are not true.  And how he was saying some of the same things he said on those WRTN tapes when asked about touring with the christian band "Trouble" and he said both times that it was fine as there were no christian crosses anywhere and that they certainly didn't act it out in any way so it was a good time.  And how Stryper gets ripped big time by other christians for playing the Devil's music. 
It was also cool to see King talking about some of the experiences his parents had with the powers of Darkness and the unknown!