Author Topic: KING DIAMOND CD box - The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1986-1990  (Read 10874 times)

Offline bartgabriel

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Abigail, I know you're in control of my brain...
    • Gabriel Management
Allright, after getting confirmation it's fully legal release (even if totally pointless in my opinion) I bought the new KD box. Of course I have all these albums already in few versions each, but bloody hell - that's another KD release for my collection, so I had to get it...

If you are thinking about buying it, here's a short review & desription... The cartoon box itself doesn't look very good - I assume designing its layout didn't take more than 5 minutes (what you see below is the front cover, and on the back you have just small album covers and song titles written with some generic font (I think it's Arial) on black background... CDs are silver (I'm mentioning it as there was also Roadrunner serie on golden discs) - again with this low budget print on the front - and doesn't include bonus tracks. There are no booklets included (!) and each CD is placed in a simple cartoon envelope, like promo CD. Positive aspect is that it was pretty cheap (around 18 EURO for 5 CD box), but the truth is it also looks being very cheap. Rather recommended for die hard KD collectors, as all these albums are easy to get separately in regular plastic cases, with booklets.

Offline bartgabriel

• Deadly Lullabye
    • Gabriel Management
Re: KING DIAMOND CD box - The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1986-1990
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 02:18:20 AM »
And a better picture...

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
  • Doomed by the living dead!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:00:05 AM »
Imho this is just another way from Roadrunner to earn some extra money from the fans.
Especially since King will be playing the European festivals.

Roadrunner has lost my respect with all these terrible reissues some years ago.
Not talking King Diamond / Mercyful fate here, but they did this with all their bands that sold well. First a normal release, 4 months later a digipack with bonuses so you 'had to" buy it again.
All this for making extra money.

The reissues on vinyl weren't great either. At first i thought it was cool but when i picked up  Don't Break The Oath i passed on buying the other reissues.
Wrong pictures, artwork in the wrong resolution / very grainy etc...

The re-releases from Massacre records were done with love and dedication for the band.  \m/
Remastered by Andy and with new cool enhanced artwork.   

Roadrunner used to be a great label in the 80's and early 90's...but not anymore.

nah

Offline Mike Steele

• Fatal Portrait
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 04:39:26 AM »
Imho this is just another way from Roadrunner to earn some extra money from the fans.
Especially since King will be playing the European festivals.

Roadrunner has lost my respect with all these terrible reissues some years ago.
Not talking King Diamond / Mercyful fate here, but they did this with all their bands that sold well. First a normal release, 4 months later a digipack with bonuses so you 'had to" buy it again.
All this for making extra money.

The reissues on vinyl weren't great either. At first i thought it was cool but when i picked up  Don't Break The Oath i passed on buying the other reissues.
Wrong pictures, artwork in the wrong resolution / very grainy etc...

The re-releases from Massacre records were done with love and dedication for the band.  \m/
Remastered by Andy and with new cool enhanced artwork.   

Roadrunner used to be a great label in the 80's and early 90's...but not anymore.

I don´t understand why people complain about releases. It is pretty simple: buy it if you want it and don´t buy it if you don´t want it. Obvisously there is a demand for these records, else RR would not release it. And of course it is all about making money - should we expect record companies to engage in charity?

But, yes, many of the new rereleases looks like crap - especially the Abigail/Them/Melissa/DBTO vinyls rereleases from a few years back. But again - if one does not want records looking like crap, don´t buy them. As for me, I want the records even though they look like crap and buy them anyway.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:40:33 AM by Mike Steele »

Offline Bub

• Global Moderator
  • Doomed by the living dead!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:24:51 AM »
I don´t understand why people complain about releases. It is pretty simple: buy it if you want it and don´t buy it if you don´t want it.

You are absolutely right. If people want to buy this release...they should go ahead and enjoy some great King Diamond releases!

Speaking for myself.
I'm a King Diamond / Mercyful Fate fan...and when a record company releases, what i think is an inferior product just to make some extra money, i think i am entitled to complain about it.
If roadrunner would have thrown in some extra's we dont have yet...but no.
Personally i think people are better off buying the original (re)releases. They are not that hard to get.

nah

Offline Mike Steele

• Fatal Portrait
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 06:13:36 AM »
You are absolutely right. If people want to buy this release...they should go ahead and enjoy some great King Diamond releases!

Speaking for myself.
I'm a King Diamond / Mercyful Fate fan...and when a record company releases, what i think is an inferior product just to make some extra money, i think i am entitled to complain about it.
If roadrunner would have thrown in some extra's we dont have yet...but no.
Personally i think people are better off buying the original (re)releases. They are not that hard to get.

You have a point.

But I think actually this is an amazing release for new fans. Get all the essential stuff at once and get it cheap as well. No problem here...

Offline Chagosomar

• Angel Of Light
  • "Moonchild!!! Hear the mandrake scream!"
    • Deadly Fujow. A dark ambient project
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
No booklets? At least add the booklets from the originals.

Offline scarhcqc

• Emerencia
  • C.O.D. Fufufu
    • http://www.youtube.com/gotterscar
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »
Hasn't it been out for month's?
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now...

Offline HeadOnTheWall777

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:06:20 AM »

Yup, that's the first thing I thought. Why would I buy them if there were no booklets. That's part of the magic of still buying albums. I never understood why they make all of these new releases and never include the booklets?

I hate when these Digi CDs come out. If the case gets ruined, than you're fucked. At least with jewel cases you can replace them. I didn't even know this boxset existed until now.  :gah:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:07:47 AM by HeadOnTheWall777 »

Offline bartgabriel

• Deadly Lullabye
    • Gabriel Management
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 06:27:49 AM »
Hasn't it been out for month's?

Nope, it's quite fresh.

Offline bartgabriel

• Deadly Lullabye
    • Gabriel Management
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 06:29:42 AM »

Still better than the DEICIDE reissue box from that serie which I also bought, with 1mm big pixels on the front cover...... ::)

Offline Jean le Noir

• Lady In Black
  • Heavy Metal (Is The Law)
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 09:48:12 AM »
I have Pantera albums made on the same way like this KD edition. Yeah, it's really nice to have some albums on one place, but I agree with Bart (same experience with Pantera), it looks too cheap.
There's a little old man...standing by my window

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:34:53 PM »
Nothing I would buy, unless its a band I am trying to find out if I like or not. I bought a Styxx box set like that a few months ago and discovered they are much better than I thought. But I already own all those King albums, so I don't see a need for that set myself.

Offline bartgabriel

• Deadly Lullabye
    • Gabriel Management
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 03:35:42 AM »
Nothing I would buy, unless its a band I am trying to find out if I like or not. I bought a Styxx box set like that a few months ago and discovered they are much better than I thought. But I already own all those King albums, so I don't see a need for that set myself.

Well... I obviously have all these KD albums as well... But I try to gather all possible editions, licenses and versions... So far I have something like I don't know, around 60 KD albums on CD and LP, so when this box came out, I simply had to buy it :)

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • The mother of postwhores!
  • $xDxR
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
I am thinking on buying it. .. I am just trying to find any in a fair price.

Offline Satans KINGdom

• Angel Of Light
  • If thine eyes decieve thee, pluck them out!
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »
Well... I obviously have all these KD albums as well... But I try to gather all possible editions, licenses and versions... So far I have something like I don't know, around 60 KD albums on CD and LP, so when this box came out, I simply had to buy it :)
I'm not knocking you for your purchase, or thread, just staing my feelings on these things. I love to collect shit as much as anyone here, I just don't buy every version of every CD or LP I can get a hold of. I mainly do one CD, then a picture disc if one is available. Might get the anniversary CD's when they are reaeased, depending on which band it's for. Other than that, things I collect are guns, and other things.

Offline bartgabriel

• Deadly Lullabye
    • Gabriel Management
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »
I'm not knocking you for your purchase, or thread, just staing my feelings on these things. I love to collect shit as much as anyone here, I just don't buy every version of every CD or LP I can get a hold of. I mainly do one CD, then a picture disc if one is available. Might get the anniversary CD's when they are reaeased, depending on which band it's for. Other than that, things I collect are guns, and other things.

Oh, me too. Usually. But not in case of KD and MF - I try to have EVERY possible version/license/release in my collection :D  :king:

Offline amon lafey

• Unborn
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 03:36:44 AM »
probably i buy it as it's for a cheap price

Offline username

• Possessed
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
They probably think to get many new fans with that cd pack.
A cheap way to get known with the band.

A while ago they made a dream theater pack like that one aswell.
I bought it because i am not that much in dream theater, but 5 great cd's for cheap i am happy i bought ;)