Author Topic: King's name  (Read 30042 times)

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
Re: King's name
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 07:37:43 am »
I think I can answer this: I´ve read something about that. The word MERCYFUL (with the "Y") is the old spelling of the word (like the font of the old Mercyful Fate logo)! By the way: On my Roadrunner LP version of DBTO "WELCOME PRINCESS OF HELL" was written the right way...

But I´m also interested why they chose the name MERCYFUL FATE....and not for example SATAN´S FALL or something occult...
I'm glad they didn't choose Satan's Fall :gah:

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 07:41:27 am »
Not sure why they chose that name in particular. The name was/is a stark contrast though to the dark often satanic imagery that runs through their music (expecially the early stuff)

I would put my dollar though that they just put the words together and thought it sounded cool (like most band names are created)
 :)
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Nathan Explosion

• Unborn
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 07:50:43 pm »
"Mercyful Fate!" It's like a beseechment. Like a cry from some a condemned fellow in an almost shakespearian fashion, "oh mercyful fate, let not my soul be raped by ye hounds of tindalos".

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006, 07:36:32 am »
I've often mused over these things as well! I heard that the "King Diamond" moniker has been around since the "Brats" days or earlier, that each band member called themselves something different ie Ace Spade, Jack Club, etc. King's name stuck and the other members vanished into obscurity!
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline leevil

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 12:42:54 am »
yes on the album it is princess but that is due to a mis-print it is supposed to be princes of hell, at least that is what I remember from a radio interview,

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2007, 11:31:32 am »
yes on the album it is princess but that is due to a mis-print it is supposed to be princes of hell, at least that is what I remember from a radio interview,
Wow theres something I didnt know. So the song is actually called: Princes of Hell?

Offline Pandora

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 08:40:20 pm »
Gotta be the card.

I have a corny idea but I won't post it. :D
stars shine into an array of pain unwanted through cells of dissipated light

Offline lightninfeet

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Pirate
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2007, 01:25:53 pm »
Gotta be the card.

I have a corny idea but I won't post it. :D

Please...do share. :)
The new Seeing Seven album "Genesis III" out now! www.seeingseven.com

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2007, 07:29:15 am »
The word MERCYFUL (with the "Y") is the old spelling of the word (like the font of the old Mercyful Fate logo)!
Are you sure? I have thought about that alternative myself.
I think King(/and the guys) couldn't have been that stupid to put wrong spelling as their name.
King is genius, not idiot. So I think the name must be clever, not stupid.
But I do agree on that Mercyful looks better than Merciful. ::)

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2007, 07:43:05 am »
King of Diamonds \m/
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2007, 04:07:42 pm »
Maybe they chose the name MERCYFUL FATE in hope that they won´t Burn In Hell for their lyrics  :D

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2007, 10:24:09 pm »
 :king:Hello, It is I. The Kings in a poker deck DO represent the four kings mentioned earlier, and poker cards ARE based from the Tarot. The Bat in KING's logo, probably represents darkness, horror etc. The symbol of Jona(is that spelled right?) can be found in Anton Levay's Satanic Bible. For me, Both names (KING DIAMOND & MERCYFUL FATE) sound mysterious. I like that. :D
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline aubah

• Unborn
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 03:31:47 am »
:king:Hello, It is I. The Kings in a poker deck DO represent the four kings mentioned earlier, and poker cards ARE based from the Tarot. The Bat in KING's logo, probably represents darkness, horror etc. The symbol of Jona(is that spelled right?) can be found in Anton Levay's Satanic Bible. For me, Both names (KING DIAMOND & MERCYFUL FATE) sound mysterious. I like that. :D

I think it is spelled Jonah, but it doesn't matter... I have always wondered what the strange sign represents and I found out that it is from alchemy for sulphur, brimstone, black sulphur, or black mercuric sulphide, but I still wonder why King Diamond placed it. :)

Offline m3adi3c

• Black Horseman
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2007, 04:01:44 am »
He wasn't the first who used it. LaVey posted it on some pages of his bible, and its use is related to what religious people think about sulphur, they associate sulphur for its smell and the way that it burns with hell.

BTW, you may also see that sign on an Ancient Wisdom album. I can't remember which.

Offline fraydey

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2007, 10:34:24 am »
If you have not noticed the drummer of DOWN has got that mark on his drums \m/ And for me DOWN is not satanic band...

Offline Magistralium

• Banshee
  • Form itself is emptiness; emptiness itself is form
    • Viraga
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2007, 10:55:32 am »
Good+Evil=Forever

Duh!   ::)
What you think you can hold as your own
Will be taken away

Offline m3adi3c

• Black Horseman
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2007, 09:12:52 am »
Yeah, that too, but please look on the KD&MF FAQ's on this forum and you will see what I am talking about. Also check this too :
EDIT: if you cannot see the image, please visit www.metal-archives.com and searck for Ancient Wisdom's The Calling album.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 09:15:19 am by m3adi3c »

Offline Nachtsider

• Emerencia
  • Shadowmancer Supreme
    • Nachtsider at VampireFreaks.com
Axes = Guitars
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2007, 01:54:52 am »
Some before me have pointed out that the king depicted on the King of Diamonds card wields an axe. I wonder if King based his name on the card with this fact in mind, considering he can play the guitar and guitars are sometimes referred to as 'axes'.
There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
Re: Axes = Guitars
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 10:01:27 am »
Some before me have pointed out that the king depicted on the King of Diamonds card wields an axe. I wonder if King based his name on the card with this fact in mind, considering he can play the guitar and guitars are sometimes referred to as 'axes'.

Sounds rather far fetched, but it's a nice idea.  :)
-Goat

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2007, 08:10:09 pm »
Only King knows for sure.
 :king:
"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline Devil

• Gypsy
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »
I think it's pretty safe to say that it refers to the playing card.

Just check out the lyrics to 13 Invitations:

"They played all night 'till the morning light
And the Devil, he smiled on his own
They played all night for eternal life
Or the chance of losing their souls

High will win, low is the sin

They played all night in the burning light
The thirteen were sharing a nine

High will win, low is the sin

The final card was in the Devil's hand
The King of Diamonds would win"

Yeah... I`m smiling... For what I know, King even himself dont remember where he did get his name...
<insert signature here>

Offline General Hammerthrone

• Lady In Black
  • Traditional Metal Reign Supreme!
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2010, 02:13:18 am »
Speaking of King's name.......what ever happened to the forum moderator or webmaster...'Ripper Bindix" that used to patrol these pages a few years ago?  He actually banned me in 2005 for posting a picture of "Boy Geroge" HAHAHA lomfl! I'll explain later haha!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 02:14:37 am by General Hammerthrone »

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • The mother of postwhores!
  • $xDxR
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2010, 09:18:58 am »
Speaking of King's name.......what ever happened to the forum moderator or webmaster...'Ripper Bindix" that used to patrol these pages a few years ago?  He actually banned me in 2005 for posting a picture of "Boy Geroge" HAHAHA lomfl! I'll explain later haha!!
?

Offline General Hammerthrone

• Lady In Black
  • Traditional Metal Reign Supreme!
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2010, 03:31:16 pm »
?

Yeah,in 2005 there used to be a forum moderator or webmaster what not named "Ripper Bindix",there was this member that was obsessed with the hair band 'White Lion" and I said they sucked,thats all and I said he might as well be into Boy George and I posted a picture of Boy George being funny and that #@!# banned me for it??? lol!  It was retarded to say the least lol!!

Offline Aeon666

• The mother of postwhores!
  • I´m still missing you Dad... I haven´t forget you!
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2010, 03:47:33 pm »
Yeah,in 2005 there used to be a forum moderator or webmaster what not named "Ripper Bindix",there was this member that was obsessed with the hair band 'White Lion" and I said they sucked,thats all and I said he might as well be into Boy George and I posted a picture of Boy George being funny and that #@!# banned me for it??? lol!  It was retarded to say the least lol!!

As far as I know... he still came from time to time but I´m not sure!