Author Topic: More Melissa  (Read 6960 times)

Offline RJ

• Holy Shrine
More Melissa
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:05:40 pm »
I actually kinda posed this question in the "What story would you like next.." thread, but after a little consideration and a lot of searching on this board I figured it deserved it's own thread...

What is the story of Melissa? I don't mean the true story of the stolen skull, a quick look in FAQ tells that one, but I mean musically. We have three songs spread across a decade+ of albums. We have "Melissa," "Come to the Sabbath," and "Is That You... Melissa" but that just isn't enough for me. I want to know who Melissa is, Who is the priest, why she was sacrificed/murdered and why she seems to haunt the narrator. Will she get revenge or be avenged? I would love for the new MF "Masterpiece" to be a concept album re recording these classics and adding six or seven more songs that fill in the gaps in the story. Anyone else ever wondered about this?

Offline a shape of black

• Victimized
  • Even In The Night I See The Light
Re: More Melissa
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:16:22 pm »
 :king:

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:18:00 pm »
We can put this together as much as we want but I think this is only something King can answer.

every thing that has nipples

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:36:03 pm »
For the first time since forever, we have an original idea worth noting on this board! Bravo, Sir!

A coherent tale of Melissa would make an amazing KD story, rather than an MF concept album. Especially since KD lately has been very MF-ish in riff structure and overall sound. This album could be the bridge to close the musical gap between the two bands for good. Hell, bring in Hank to write some riffs too.

It will never happen, of course, but it is a beautiful dream.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline Smechies

• Mad Arab
  • Ballsack
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 10:23:54 pm »
I agree. I think Melissa needs her own TV show. \m/
All hail the cock!  \m/

Offline The Hitman

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 10:47:02 pm »
I'm not very familiar with the lyrics to Come to the Sabbath or Is That You, Melissa, but I think that the song, Melissa, is basically self-explanatory. Melissa was the narrator's girlfriend/wife. She was (correctly) accused of being a witch and was burned at the stake. However, the narrator thinks that "Melissa's still with us," presumably because he knows that her witchy powers could allow her to exist in ghost form after death, and he feels her presence. I get the feeling that Come to the Sabbath and Is That You, Melissa probably complicate the story, though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 01:19:36 am by The Hitman »

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 10:52:48 pm »
I wouldn't call Come To The Sabbath part of the Melissa story, as she is only referenced. Is That You, Melissa? is about summoning the spirit of the dead melissa just one more time. Her life itself is a mystery, we only know that her and king had "magic nights"

Offline bucky01403

• Victimized
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 11:11:50 pm »
It would be a nice way for Mercyful Fate to cap off their career. :)

King Diamond 4/15 -

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 01:32:42 am »
I think King has already said all that needs to ever be said by him about Melissa, her skull, her death, etc. etc. It's up to you to put the pieces together inside your mind.

Trust me, if he spelled it out in more detail, the magic and the mystery of Melissa would be gone forever. The mere memory of those chills that ran up your spine the first time you really listened to that song would be forever tainted and changed by any further mention of the topic by King.

Just let the old fucking witch stay dead.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 02:17:07 am »
THIS IS AGAINST THE RULES

THERE WONT BE ANOTHER TIME

that part always gives me chills

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 08:05:36 am »
But what about a spiritual relationship with both Melissa and Missy?
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 08:06:38 am »
I think that Mercyful Fate if will make a new album (a brutal dream) must be diferent a king diamond band(without livia, theatrical souds, etc)
i know that any album must sound like any other but the arab riffes will be a sounddream
BAMT

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 09:36:40 am »
Huh? I don't quite follow...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 02:20:18 pm »
I think what hes trying to say is, A new Mercyful Fate cd should be without the Theatric Elements that make KD what it is.

King Diamond is the more theatrical band of the two

Mercyful Fate is straight riffage

METALLATEM

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 07:00:15 pm »
@RJ. great topic! A story of melissa would be cool. Mabey king will read this and consider it as a storyline.  :king:

Offline ...To the Morgue.

• Lurker From The Dark
    • https://www.facebook.com/dooms666day
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 09:42:22 pm »
I don't think we need another melissa song (ex : Is that really you Melissa!? :P ) or any concept that explain anything. I like the mystery around this story.  But... I'm not against linking the concept with another song just like MF did with Come to the Sabbath.

Offline RJ

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 09:49:53 pm »
The way I read the lyrics to come to the sabbath its all about a ritual to curse the priest who killed Melissa. I think that the three songs ALMOST make up a mini story like Fatal Portrait or Spider's Lullaby. So Maybe a song to give a bit of back story that takes place prior to "Melissa" and one that that goes in between CTTS and ITY...M that describe's what happens to the priest.

After hearing about Melissa on MF's first three full length studio LPs I was really disappointed that there was no mention of her on "Time."

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 01:37:04 am »
You're right. That would be cool, but shouldn't it be left alone? Hearing all three at a show is good enough. What do you want a EP named Melissa part IV? Usually the dead should stay dead. Which is what it is these days. Say he does it though? Is anyone gonna complain like they did with Abigail II? It was fun, true- but as one of my favorite authors said "Fun is Fun, Done is Done" Stephen King as a matter of fact. Anyways the story in today age is done-I'd leave it alone. :cool:

Offline RJ

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 08:39:12 am »
I suppose it could be left alone, but I really think it has potential as a full story. And if the criterion was "should it be left alone" I think we would not have an Abigail II, good or bad.

Let me add that if Melissa were to be expanded into a full story, I would hope that the new songs would be just as inspired as the current 3.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 02:03:40 am »
did it ever occur to you guys that Missy might be a short version of Melissa? Many kids called Melissa get's that nickname.

Btw i don't think there's any story behind Melissa, i just think it's something he came up with and then used it a couple of times, i think that he have said that it was finished with ''Is That You Melissa''?

Offline RJ

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 09:12:37 pm »
I think that MF probably meant to end the Melissa "story" (for want of a better word) with "I kiss your soul goodbye" at the end of Is That You...Melissa? but I still wish there was a couple more songs to round out the story.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 12:28:53 am »
I think that MF probably meant to end the Melissa "story" (for want of a better word) with "I kiss your soul goodbye" at the end of Is That You...Melissa? but I still wish there was a couple more songs to round out the story.
It's also said that they kissed the soul of the style in the old MF goodbye, but i can still hear the old MF in the newer songs but it has changed a bit especially Time had a different sound