Author Topic: Fatal Portrait  (Read 83174 times)

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
Fatal Portrait
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:17:10 am »
I'm relatively new to KD and MF I started listening Dec 07. Fatal Portrait is one of my favorite albums. I haven't gotten it yet because it's such a pain in the ass to get a hold of- and I do not have a credit card. Now it's one of kings best, naturally, and it just went out of print I think, sort of like three of the Gamma Ray albums. Anyways, I want to know what you guys think, waste of time? I don't know there's something about that sound throghout the album that brings me back to it- you know that feeling of death that hangs over each riff. Probably just me though. Alright Im interested in what you guys think, oh what's your favorite song off of FP?
My thoughts: great first record, that without it there wouldn't be a smooth transition to the full blown stories. A very dark album to boot. Should be heard at least twice through, cause many people don't pay attention and some of it was a little hard to understand at first. A must own for most unless you don't like real heavy metal, which if you're on this forum would not make sense. Favorite song: The Candle or Charon

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
Re: Fatal Portrait
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:20:35 am »
Fatal Portrait has always been one of my all time favorites.  I am surprised you cannot find it though, I see it in stores all of the time
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:30 pm »
I'm having a hell of a time tracking down conspiracy.

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:09:34 pm »
The same as our Satanic Preacher here; I find it strange you can`t find this album. Where do you live? In general, at least here, it`s the newer albums apart from TPM and GMYSP like HOG, Voodoo and so on which are the trickiest to find.
Like, whatever.

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:15:19 pm »
yeah Conspiracy annoying to find too. If Tower Records was still around, I bet you could get a hold of it. But see I don't live in NY anymore so as I found out 8 years ago, Missouri doesn't have those hidden record stores. I wouldn't have to go online every week.

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:45 pm »
I just bought "Them" and "Conspiracy" together as they are in one package now
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:25:09 pm »
The same as our Satanic Preacher here;   :D

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:46:28 pm »
FP is a fantastic first effort! It got it's own style for sure. I think it's the most aggressive stuff KD has done on his own (outside of MF).

Every KD album have to be heard through more than two times to get into them! Or maybe it's just me. I have a method of getting to know each album that works great for me. First off I usually dedicate about a week's worth of listening to every new KD album. During that time it's the only music I listen to. But before even pushing play I read the lyrics to get a clue about the story as a whole and what's happening in each song, then take a real good look at the cover searching for details etc. After that I feel prepared to actually listen to the record, trying mostly to get a grip of how it's performed - not listening to the words that much but focusing on song structure, riffs, individual instruments and so on. After I've got this first feel for the record I play it whenever possible - in the car stereo, in headphones at the gym or when I'm out walking, at home on the surround sound stereo, on the small cd-player in the kitchen while cooking or doing the dishes (yes, I'm domestic!) or every other chance I get for about a week. That's my routine and I think it gives every release by the King the attention it deserves!

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 01:23:52 pm »
I'm having a hell of a time tracking down conspiracy.

there are a few on ebay

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:45 pm »
I fell in love with Fatal Portrait the first I heard it. Incredibly underrated. There's not a bad track...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 03:59:14 pm »
I must confess! i havent heard this album!!! Even though i have it on original frist pressing vinyl!?!?!?! why? i havent had the time :gah:

I have as well a goddamn hard time finding this on CD :(

Offline kingdiamondfan#1

• Victimized
  • Never Will I Break The Oath I Gave
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:03:57 pm »
I fell in love with Fatal Portrait the first I heard it. Incredibly underrated. There's not a bad track...

E-X-A-C-T-E-L-Y!!! \m/

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:54 pm »
Top 3 in mye book.
Like, whatever.

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:12:39 pm »
I think top 3 easy: 1-Abigail 2-Fatal Portrait 3-Them 4. Voodoo 5.- The Eye, strange it's that far up on my list, but I like the melody.

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »
I must confess! i havent heard this album!!! Even though i have it on original frist pressing vinyl!?!?!?! why? i havent had the time :gah:

I have as well a goddamn hard time finding this on CD :(

What?!?!?!?!!??? There is no blasphemy greater than procrastination. Fatal Portrait is REQUIRED King Diamond aural stimulation!

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 06:21:29 pm »
I must confess! i havent heard this album!!! Even though i have it on original frist pressing vinyl!?!?!?! why? i havent had the time

That's funny... I was going to quote King of the Rotten and just write BLASPHEMY!, but you beat me to it.

BTW, I am campaigning for Dressed in White live in 2010.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 07:07:30 pm »
Anything from FP. Lurking in the Dark. But those vocals on all the songs from said lp. Jeeze Louise. There just so darn high. He really out did himself. In fact, when I first bought Abigail, I found it sort of a letdown. But after a few zillion times listening to the first week, those thoughts never entered my head again...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 07:09:59 pm by Huntsmænus »

METALLATEM

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
@the sentinal. Fatal portrait rules! My fav off the album is the candle.  \m/

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 11:17:38 pm »
Thanks, you know I like Listening to that story. Sometimes though, I'll play The Candle and jump to Charon for that lead in high note to keep the high going. The first time I heard that, I almost jumped out of the chair. I didn't expect the AAHH! In that- I was going shit, that's cool. Speaking of eBay yeah some are like $10 there without shipping- but that's where they nail ya. Amazon- through marketplace, and back order from Best Buy and such. Someone should see if RoadRunner could be persuaded to sell FP in the bigger stores. That's where most of the dough comes from-not everyone can afford a computer with todays gas prices, and the obviously shitty market. Say KOTR if you've got it, listen to it. Don't let it collect dust- or is it a collectors item? Damn give it a spin! Alright I'm done for now - school night, crap.

Offline gamemaster

• Lady In Black
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:38:14 am »
it is one of the best from the first period!Very atmospheric,very melodic,just unique!

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 12:43:19 am »
Well i have heard the songs off course i have that and i have the album on Vinyl but i on't have it on CD yet :P

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 05:21:11 am »
Ok you're excused- keep searching though . Hey you never know. I've found certain online only albums in stores over the last 2 months. Like Seasons in the Abyss and Killer- oh yeah another man with rough buying involved, Alice Cooper. The record companies remaster his albums, never in store however. Just like King and MF old albums, sure they can be remastered, but are they going to be easy to get your hands on?

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 05:24:31 am »
Ok you're excused- keep searching though . Hey you never know. I've found certain online only albums in stores over the last 2 months. Like Seasons in the Abyss and Killer- oh yeah another man with rough buying involved, Alice Cooper. The record companies remaster his albums, never in store however. Just like King and MF old albums, sure they can be remastered, but are they going to be easy to get your hands on?
Well im just to lazy to order Fatal from the net so im buying whenever i get the chance in a store, was about to buy it last year at wacken, but then i found it is first edition Vinyl and i wanted that more :P

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 05:55:12 am »
It's hard to pick my fave song off of it...all of the songs kick ass!!

First ones that come to mind: Dressed in White,Lurking in the Dark and Charon...the latter being one of the scariest songs I have ever heard! Listen to it in your room,at a stereo with the lights turned off...it gives you the creeps.
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 06:03:56 am »
It's hard to pick my fave song off of it...all of the songs kick ass!!

First ones that come to mind: Dressed in White,Lurking in the Dark and Charon...the latter being one of the scariest songs I have ever heard! Listen to it in your room,at a stereo with the lights turned off...it gives you the creeps.
I feel the same way but with Two Little Girls and actually also The Cellar and Black Of Night :P