Author Topic: Fatal Portrait  (Read 84046 times)

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
Re: Fatal Portrait
« Reply #225 on: July 11, 2009, 08:46:59 pm »
What about Into the Coven? The Oath would be sweet, or Black Funeral? Ozzy needs to stop his little crusade. I don't see anything good coming from this. Alright we've all got our opinions on FP-I'd say it's a great album-not his best, but it's a debut. Nothings perfect.

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2009, 08:34:16 am »
Within the last years a warehouse records and a tower and a local one closed where i am to. I dont understand why. Its great there are still some major and local music stores around. And bless the internet, without it we would be fucked! :D 
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2009, 08:25:23 pm »
Fuch yeah, I spent a lot of good days going to Tower Records. Until 01 then I moved to Missouri, on a trip back to NY, in 2004 I found the old site was closed, next door was PC Richards(still) and a good version of Circuit City. Damn shame two good stores gone. I miss them, it was part of my life. I hope Tower gets resurrected someday.

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2009, 08:16:31 am »
all we need now is Best Buy to carry more KD albums. All they have is GMYSP. C'mon give me more selection. I waited two months on fatal portrait backorder, and they couldn't send it. I'm there almost every weekThat and Gamma Ray, nothings out there, just LOTF 2. Sell the original !

Offline ACJimbo

• Holy Shrine
  • South Of Heaven
« Reply #229 on: July 24, 2009, 03:58:50 am »
FP got me into KD and MF. I think it is one of his most "metal" and aggressive records - and definitely one of his best.

Plus, the music is really dark and twisted, straight out of a horror movie - much darker than the (Shermann penned) MF material, so you could see FP as King's final realization of his idea of music
You Carry The Will
As The Morning Is Near

Offline ACJimbo

• Holy Shrine
  • South Of Heaven
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2009, 10:58:58 am »
Question:

Why is FP almost all sung in falsetto? Was it King's deliberate choice, to ideally detach himself from MF, or some other reason?
You Carry The Will
As The Morning Is Near

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
« Reply #231 on: July 28, 2009, 12:09:31 pm »
Question:

Why is FP almost all sung in falsetto? Was it King's deliberate choice, to ideally detach himself from MF, or some other reason?

I remember reading an interview or something, where King says that it had something to do with the studio. It was hard to
get the clean vocals recorded, they were almost impossible to hear, so it was almost falsettos all the way through the recording.
It seems strange, but that is what he said. I actually think it was a recent interview around the release of Give Me Your Soul Please.

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2009, 03:06:07 pm »
Demon Bell is my least favourite on Melissa  :-[

Demon Bell is a great example of early MF. The whole song itself evolves as it's played out. Playing certain themes once or twice and moving on to another riff. A lot of early 80s indy metal was like this. That's why it's refreshing when they perform something similar, like Satan's Fall...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:07:27 pm by Huntsmænus »
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2009, 10:56:36 pm »
OMG! demon bell RULES! That is classic metal that holds its own. \m/
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #234 on: July 29, 2009, 12:01:03 am »
Thats what I've been trying to say! It's a classic, no doubt. If MF got back together, they'd have to play this one-or the album gives a fuck, it's all good not one bad song.

Offline Night Prowler

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2009, 04:55:37 am »
Following on from what TheSentinel was saying about Fatal Portrait being "a great album-not his best, but it's a debut", many of the tracks could well have been on Mercyful Fate's third album had they stayed together. I'm assuming when Mercyful Fate re-grouped to rehearse new material, some of King and Michael's songs that ended up on Fatal Portrait could well have been complete. Then, after hearing Hank's new tunes that were going in a different direction, they split up, meaning King and Michael had to come up with a few more tunes to fill a whole album. I could be wrong of course. And I've said it before, but I think there's a song on Fatal Portrait that was written by Hank Shermann but not credited to him. If this is the case, then it could almost be seen as the third Mercyful Fate album.

Let's hope King can clarify this when he hopefully completes his autobiography at some point.
My sweet Satan, you are the one!

Offline TheSentinel

• Mandrake
« Reply #236 on: August 01, 2009, 12:38:03 am »
I wouldn't mind knowing that. Bet ya it's going to be one of the bigger ones(i.e. Charon or Dressed in White) Didnt know King was making an autobiography. I gotta check more often. I would imagine you're right-though it hasn't been said yet. The time from when MF broke up to the release of FP was not long, so anything is possible