Author Topic: bring back Mercyful Fate!!!  (Read 19812 times)

Offline Subtle Wreck

• Unborn
bring back Mercyful Fate!!!
« on: December 29, 2006, 05:26:32 am »
I know this is a thread that has been posted a billion times, but it must be said...  the King Diamond band is ok, but Mercyful Fate needs to be brought back from the dead.  its long overdue.  at least to tour for a few months (maybe do some dates in a few major cities in Europe and then in the US).  but ultimately, I would love to see another album. MF fans are starved for their fix.  and yeah, I know King has said that he doesn't make nearly as much money with MF than he does with KD.  but there are other reasons besides money to do it.  I just wish this happens sometime soon.  I know a new KD album and tour is on the horizon, so maybe I'll be hopeful for a MF reunion sometime in 2008.

p.s.
wasn't there supposed to be a Mercyful Fate retrospective DVD in the works? is this ever going to happen?

- Dave
    Pennsylvania, USA

:fingers:

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
Re: bring back Mercyful Fate!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 08:42:08 am »
These points are taken from this thread:
http://www.covenworldwide.org/CWWforum/index.php?topic=241.0

Any more info about an up-coming DVD with KD or MF?
We are at the stage where MetalBlade show significant interest in some of the old material we have. King has recently looked over the tapes, and presented some stuff to them, but there is no agreement on the table yet. Once this should happen, it will be time for looking at the lay-out / production, editing etc. etc. so if it will happen it will not be for the 2006 Christmas presents.

Will King do another album with MF sometime?
I believe this has been asked many times, and the reply I can give is the same as King has given, (since I have to quote him ). No plans at the moment, however you never know. If “King Diamond” for whatever reason take a break, it could be possible to make a Mercyful Fate album, but there are no plans, compositions or anything like this on the table.

Offline Grinder

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 12:56:53 pm »
We'd all love to see another MF album.  As far as I know, the band is still under contract for one more.  "9" was the best since "In The Shadows"!

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 02:42:32 pm »
We'd all love to see another MF album.  As far as I know, the band is still under contract for one more.  "9" was the best since "In The Shadows"!

Agreed-- 9 was a fantastic album! We need more from this legendary metal band!  \m/

Offline Subtle Wreck

• Unborn
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 09:21:02 pm »
yeah, I loved the 9 album. if it wasn't so good, I might not be so impatient for a follow-up album. but I can only listen to the Metal Blade M.F. albums so many times. the Roadrunner M.F. albums in my CD collection are semi-retired since I've listened to them a billion times already.  I need more FATE!!!

Offline The Winnipeg Warrior ®

• A Family Ghost
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
    • The Winnipeg Warrior® MySpace
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:34:29 pm »
It's got to be done for the right reasons. You either commit two years of your career to  a.) writing and releasing an album.....and b.) then going out on tour. Or you just let it go. Either marry it or divorce it. There's no sense doing it half-assed unless you have something to say and contribute. If this were done right.....the potential is there for some strong success. Especially over in Europe and playing all the summer festivals. But at this stage of the game.....coming over here to North America doesn't really add to the legacy of the band. They've been shelved and put on ice for so long that a lot of the fan-base here has moved on. I see them playing at Ozzfest.....that would be cool. But since KD's band and career comes first.....I can't see him committing the proper time to MF. If it's just treated as a hobby.....what's the point? There's nothing to be gained here.

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 08:01:34 am »
I agree. If King's heart is into King Diamond (the band) and not into Mercyful Fate, I don't wanna hear an obligatory MF contract album. Same goes for Shermann and Denner. Force of Evil is slowly taking on. I don't want them to stop it, and potentially kill it, for the same reasons.
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 07:05:03 pm »
"Play some Skynrd, man!"
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Lance

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 07:57:12 pm »
I would love to see Mercyful Fate back in action 9 was an awesome album along with all of their albums

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 10:54:54 pm »
King Diamond is doing great on his own (House of God is one of the best albums of the 00s from any metal band, and the Puppet Master isn't too bad either).  Mercyful Fate's last album was not that great at all IMO, while Force of Evil is fantastic.  I would just let things be that way.

Offline The Eye

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 10:04:11 am »
As great as King Diamond is, I generally prefer Mercyful Fate over them. So yeah, I do want a new MF album! \m/

Wilmar

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 03:28:22 am »
Spread the words, brothers and sisters, spread the words!!!

Offline maarten.

• NCS Team
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 06:17:48 am »
well, then i must be one of those more-mainstream-liking guys 'cause i prefer KD over MF every day. the first albums weren't bad, but not so great as everybody is saying here, and "halloween" and "Come to the Sabbath" aren't that great songs if you put them next to a KD song.
i just don't feel anything when i hear MF, and the last albums of MF i even 'hate'. KD on the other hand hasn't made much bad albums imo and have a lot of real killer songs (The Jonah, Abigail, the Family Ghost, A Mansion In Darkness, Welcome Home, Tea, Burn, Sleep Tight Little Baby, Help, A Mansion In Sorrow,....)
but it's just me, and i can understand your frustrations (i wouldn't like it either if King would stop making KDalbums and only made MF album for 10years), but i'm very happy that he put all his energy in the KD albums

Neffie's penguin's

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 08:14:08 am »
and "halloween" and "Come to the Sabbath" aren't that great songs if you put them next to a KD song.

Halloween IS a KD song.....just goes to show how little you know  :D

But you're not the only one who prefers KD over MF. There are a lot of weirdos out there!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline maarten.

• NCS Team
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 08:25:01 am »
 :-[ ow man :-[ it is indeed, i better check my facts instead of trusting my peanutbrain the next time i come to tell something like that :-[
but still, i don't like that song, it just don't fit on Fatal Portrait. it sounds like a MF song to me :P
but i'm gonna shut up now before i tell even more bullshit :-[

Neffie's penguin's

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 09:53:39 am »
bah, it's all good!  I'm in a grumpy mood this morning. I didn't get to do half the things I wanted done this past weekend.
I find that, in general, people who tend to prefer KD over MF also tend to like power metal more than classic metal and thrash. So maybe that's why you see both bands as different beasts.

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 03:46:05 pm »
I prefer King Diamond on Mercyful Fate but that does not mean Mercyful Fate Sucks. It just means they are my second favorite band in the world.

I would LOVE to hear a new Mercyful Fate album. Mercyful Fate is not Dead they just simply have a hard time surviving so they have to pick and choose the times they come from the grave

Offline Fatal Portrait 92

• Banshee
  • http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Inde
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 07:29:28 pm »
 \m/ \m/ \m/  \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ King diamond is better then mercyful fate  \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/
The shadows move They're here to feed the dead ... the shadows move 'Cause there is life after death

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 09:45:46 pm »
I would LOVE to hear a new Mercyful Fate album. Mercyful Fate is not Dead they just simply have a hard time surviving so they have to pick and choose the times they come from the grave

They're just Dead AGAIN. :fingers:

Actually, I wouldn't mind a similar sounding album to that one. Time and In The Shadows were amazing, but with albums like Dead Again and Into The Unknown, it shows clearly how KD and MF are separate bands. The styles are just so different.

Wilmar

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 04:14:09 am »
King Diamond probably never existed without Mercyful Fate, so saying that Fate sucks and Diamond is 'da bomb' is kinda shortsighted. Songs like 'The Oath' and 'Come to the Sabbath' paved the way for KD to start his solo-carreer. And saying that KD never made a bad album???? I'm sorry, but since 'Conspiracy' the quality of KD albums have been very poor. 'The Eye' has some good songs, but not overall classics like on the first four albums. 'The Spiders Lullabye' features for the first time songs by Andy that are better than those of King, which was kinda shocking to me. But with the exception of 'Moonlight' the songwriting King showed on this album is WEAK. 'The Graveyard' was a little better, but contained a lot of fillers. 'Voodoo' actually was an album I liked and I had high hopes for 'House of God', but that album disappointed me in a great deal. It was just BORING. Those people who loved 'Abigail 2: the Revenge' got another 'Abigail' for their money, since I heard a lot of songs on that one that sounded like 'A Mansion in Darkness' or even 'The Family Ghost'. The same goes for 'The Puppet Master'. Some nice songwriting, but overall an album that cannot reach the quality standards of the first four KD releases. I recently bought the re-issue of 'Abigail' with the DVD, and I was listening to the CD: the songs still stand tall after twenty fuckin' years. And that while I cannot even remember how some songs on the last three albums sound...

Mercyful Fate on the other hand have aquired very strong songwriting. Allthough 'Into the Unknown' was a bit weak compared to the other albums, I still get excited when I hear the beginning of 'Evil' or the massive riffing in 'Nightmare', or the great arrangement of a song like 'The Night'. Albums that 'stick to my mind' instead of leaving it as soon as possible...

I do hope that 'Gimme your soul...please' will bring back some of the old glory, but having heard KD in the new millennium does make me a bit sceptic...

Wilmar

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 04:43:54 am »
Yeah bringing this topic back to page one, so that the bandmembers can see that we are in desperate need of some more MF music...

Maybe Mercyful Fate could look at it from this angle: you guys need closure. One more studio album and then call it quits. Better yet: record the new album in the original line up. Use songs that actually were written for the album after 'Don't break the Oath' and amaze us. After that you can go about your things with KD, FOE and whatever bands you guyz are playing in...

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 03:21:06 pm »
The same goes for 'The Puppet Master'. Some nice songwriting, but overall an album that cannot reach the quality standards of the first four KD releases.
Sounds like coming from some "stucked-in-the-past-tr00-Metallica-fan"

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 09:26:01 pm »
This thread always remindfs me of the hippie guy in those old Beavis and Butthead cartoons who would always shout out at concerts "Play some Skynyrd, man!"
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Ericfg

• Black Horseman
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 10:49:16 pm »
Rumour has it that Kim Ruzz may be back in the band! (see blabbermouth.net)
If this is true (insert superlative here).
I'd like see Mr. Texas get back to Denmark, jam with the boys for a few weeks while writing and then go into Easy Sound with Hendrik Lund again and make a fitting end to the MF legacy.
No more of this emailing ideas back and forth from BFE.  Hang out, get drunk, get in a fistfight, and write some freakin' MF tunes.
Dammit! \m/

Offline Charcaroth

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2007, 02:17:53 am »
HEARTILY SECONDED!!!!!! \m/