Author Topic: do you consider Mercyful Fate as black metal?  (Read 49496 times)

Offline Twisted Mind

• Ghost of Change
do you consider Mercyful Fate as black metal?
« on: January 01, 2007, 01:28:30 pm »
i don't know really. oldschool heavy/black  maybe?

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
Re: do you consider Mercyful Fate as black metal?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 01:31:01 pm »
Rather people consider them black metal or not you cant deny the fact that they were a direct influence to almost all of black metal to come after them

Offline Kaiser

• Lady In Black
  • アントン・
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 01:33:19 pm »
The lyrics fit in the category of black metal, but I don't see them as black metal.
この世界で邪悪があれば偽りなく、それは人類の中心の内にある。

エドワードD. もりそン

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 02:31:12 pm »
Well, in the old days, bands like Mercyful Fate and Venom were called Black Metal (Venom coined the phrase, in fact), and this was based on Satanic lyrics more than a certain sound. It's only really from the early 1990's onwards that Black Metal was thought to have a specific sound - i.e. the raspy vocals (copied from Bathory and early Sodom), tinny production, etc.

So, that doesn't mean that the 80's bands who were originally called Black Metal should be redefined as something else. I think it's ridiculous when some people say Venom aren't real Black Metal, when they invented the term!

So, I consider Mercyful Fate to be Black Metal. But they can also accurately be described as Heavy Metal. "Oldschool heavy/black" as Twisted Mind suggested sounds good too.
-Goat

Offline Maggotcrusher666

• You Are "9"
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 02:37:23 pm »
To me they aren't truly black metal.  I've always associated black metal with the sound developed in the 90s.  I always hate when someone will say that bathory or venom are and mercyful fate aren't like they were not one of the big influeneces from the 80s.  If one of those bands are black metal then you have to consider the other two black metal.  To me though none are truly black metal but are more like honorary black metal bands.

Offline desecrator_of_soul

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
  • Oh Satan, I beseech thee to have mercy on my soul!
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 03:26:26 pm »
I just see them as the originators, the definition of a genre usually changes dramatically over time, take rock and roll for example, it went from early slave music, to chuck berry, to the beatles, to led zeppelin, and now to the shit nowadays. big difference...

so in my opinion mercyful fate, and venom are the early stages of black metal (since they coined the term you cannot say that they arent black metal), but satanic lyrics go far back, like the bands "coven" and "black widow"

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 04:33:36 pm »
Have to understand at the time the actual style of Mercyful fate was something that hadn't been heard before elements of whats now known today as black metal may have been prevalent at the time as Mercyful fate is often credited with being the founding fathers of black metal along with bands such as Venom.  To coin the term black metal and define a band i would definitly say Mercyful Fate fills the role with the raw and torrid riffs and of course Kings unique voice and satanic lyrics i would have to agree with Desecrator that they were indeed a original and prime influence of what is known today as black metal.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 05:59:37 pm by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Grinder

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 06:51:00 pm »
Satanic heavy metal.

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 07:09:38 pm »
id say yeah

Offline Twisted Mind

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 01:51:07 am »
This is a hard question. just look at the intro riff in "Desecration of Souls" thats fucking blackmetal. also the the sloo one with bells in A Dangerous Meeting. there is so many fucking blackmetal riffs. but some riffs is fucking similar to Led Zepplin.  soo cooool  \m/

Offline grr

• Lady In Black
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:59 am »
MF's music is heavy metal and the vocals does not sound the same as black metal-vocals either. But it's maybe the lyrics that is closest to black.
King Diamond and Mercyful Fate Fanclub Sweden

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 08:30:38 am »
Yes  :king:
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 04:15:41 pm »
Yes.  Definitely yes.  You could say that they are just good old heavy metal, but they sang for Satan and evil in a way that no other band did at that time.  Even Celtic Frost and Bathory at the time didn't have lyrics that sinister (the ones on The Return, though= >:D).  The music itself also had a very evil feel to it, even during the bluesy rock'n'roll-ish parts.

That being said, Mercyful Fate are heavy/black metal (heavy being the most dominant soundwise)

Offline The Winnipeg Warrior ®

• A Family Ghost
  • The Devil Made Me Do It
    • The Winnipeg Warrior® MySpace
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:48:44 pm »
IMO.....MF were the best at what they did. Absolutely unique in terms of breaking ground and setting the pace early on. From my perspective, when I heard both Melissa and DBTO back in the day.....there was no one around like them both musically and lyrically. Hearing them was like listening to a Black/Death Metal version of Rush or Pink Floyd. They were master musicians and lyricists. When everyone else were writing and singing along to party anthems.....MF played against the grain and were actually perfecting their craft. They were the 'thinking man's' band in this Black genre. So I feel that MF essentially were the framework for what was yet to come. However, they weren't just a great Black Metal outfit. They were a superb Metal band, period. I think that's what separated them from the average.....they were extremely adaptable and versatile due to their skill level as musicians.

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:10:00 am »
For me Mercyful Fate, Venom, Witchfinder General, Witchfynde, Death SS, Bathory etc. is Black Metal! Because it was called Black Metal back in the days...If someone says that Venom is no Black Metal then I´m telling him:"Which was invented first? The wheel or the car?" :gah:

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 11:27:55 am »
For me the first thing I think of when I hear the term Black Metal is Venom.
And I always thought that black metal was originated in the 80s?

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2007, 11:27:07 am »
For me the first thing I think of when I hear the term Black Metal is Venom.
And I always thought that black metal was originated in the 80s?

You're thinking is correct.  Venom coined the term at the very dawn of the 80s. and Euronymous was playing a sound very very very close to the style we know today way back in 1984.  And Mayhem did a lot of Venom and Celtic Frost covers.  the guys in Emperor were HUGE fans of MF.

Offline Fatal Portrait 92

• Banshee
  • http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fd/Inde
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 06:54:27 pm »
yes i do consider them black metal i think they were one of the first wave of black metal
The shadows move They're here to feed the dead ... the shadows move 'Cause there is life after death

Offline SilentBob4004

• Unborn
    • http://pic7.piczo.com/TonsOffFun4004/?g=2530869&cr=7
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 07:18:08 pm »
I do consider Merciful Fate Black Metal becuz they did basically spawn all other Black Metal Bands.

Offline Pandora

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 10:49:15 am »
Mercyful Fate / King Diamond do not strike me as a black metal band but more of a style metal band with dark overtones. :king:
stars shine into an array of pain unwanted through cells of dissipated light

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 03:38:43 pm »
I'd say Black Heavy Metal. MF were darker and more aggressive than the average traditional/power metal bands of the time, yet they were not entirely that distant from the basic traditional metal sound and influences like Bathory was in 1984.
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Pandora

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 03:49:38 pm »
Mercyful Fate are not even close to Bathory!

I disagree.

Bathory are a hundred times heavier than Fate. Sorry.

So, a couple of Bathory tunes are a little lighter but hell all in all Bathory are pure black metal.

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2007, 03:52:44 pm »
That's not what I meant. I was saying that Bathory in the 80's was farther from the Traditional Metal structure (Slower, more melody, clean vocals ect.) than Mercyful Fate, and yes, for the reasons of Bathory being, faster and more brutal.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:54:40 pm by Count Jonah »

Offline Pandora

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2007, 03:59:39 pm »
Oh whatever

« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 04:05:44 pm by Pandora »

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2007, 04:11:04 pm »
Oh whatever

???

I would also like to add, that even though I don’t consider MF to be a Doom Metal band, there are nevertheless a ton of Doom Metal influences in MF’s music, both during the 80s and 90's.
MF parallel another band from the late 70's/early 80's called Death SS. Death SS have actually been credited with inventing Black Metal before Venom, but the music still has plenty of Doom/Traditional metal elements. When looking at the music from the early 80's, you gotta consider the mood too, as there weren’t too many bands playing super fast and super distorted metal back then, just having a dark mood to your music was enough to make an impression, and songs like “Black Masses” and “Satan’s Fall” are pretty dark and heavy for the early 80's.