Author Topic: do you consider Mercyful Fate as black metal?  (Read 49541 times)

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
Re: do you consider Mercyful Fate as black metal?
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2007, 09:40:39 pm »
Really, it all depends on what one considers the standards of Black Metal to be. The term Black Metal existed long before the NWONBM (New Wave Of Noregian Black Metal, haha!), so there were many bands in the 80s that were referred to as being Black Metal. Everyone from Venom and Mercyful Fate, to early Sepultura and Sodom. I guess it was the ideology of bands like Dark Throne and Mayhem in the early 90s that set a particular standard for the genre.

To me, Black Metal has to have an overall dark and/or evil atmosphere to it. A truly dark, sinister form of Metal. I think Mercyful Fate qualifies for that.

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2007, 12:45:39 am »
Really, it all depends on what one considers the standards of Black Metal to be. The term Black Metal existed long before the NWONBM (New Wave Of Noregian Black Metal, haha!), so there were many bands in the 80s that were referred to as being Black Metal. Everyone from Venom and Mercyful Fate, to early Sepultura and Sodom. I guess it was the ideology of bands like Dark Throne and Mayhem in the early 90s that set a particular standard for the genre.

To me, Black Metal has to have an overall dark and/or evil atmosphere to it. A truly dark, sinister form of Metal. I think Mercyful Fate qualifies for that.

This is why I consider MF to be black metal.  along with

Possessed
first two Slayer albums
first Kreator album

the list goes on

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2007, 03:26:25 am »
I completely agree with Satan's Portrait.
His text was what I wanted to say in a first place. :cool:

Offline Don248

• Spirit
  • this is Don's tats
    • dontim@interdial.net
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2007, 03:42:30 am »
it depends on what u think is black metal
Jimmie Johnson

Offline Don248

• Spirit
  • this is Don's tats
    • dontim@interdial.net
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2007, 03:51:07 am »
what really is black metal? a christians definition?
Jimmie Johnson

Offline The Eye

• Holy Shrine
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2007, 05:52:32 am »
Mercyful Fate is to black metal what Black Sabbath is to doom metal. In other words: they are the origins of the genre, but they don't quite belong to it. I would call them "proto-black" or something like that.

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
    • My account in Mikseri.net (in Finnish only)
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2007, 08:28:09 am »
At least for what I've heard black metal people say, they consider black metal to be more like a feeling in the music than just another music genre. OK, it's typical for black metal to have shitty production and shrieked vocals, but that's just the way music creates evil and dark feeling. But can someone say that MF wasn't evil and dark in the 80's? Hell, if you compare Katharsis' album 666 to Don't Break The Oath you have to have quite bad hearing disorder to say that Katharsis would have made more evil album, Katharsis is like melt ice cream compared to MF. And still people listening to "nu" black metal like it.
And if you have shitty production and shrieked vocals and you would sing about forgivness and happiness, would you be black metal? So that sound is just a tool, not essential for that genre.

So yes, MF is black metal.
The voice of Jouni Mömmö keeps haunting me.

Offline Lance

• Catacomb Crawler
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2007, 11:03:44 am »
I would not consider MF black metal I just say they're heavy metal with elements of thrash in some songs and with a dark atmosphere especially for their time making them one of the most original bands around but they don't sound like anything from Emperor, Immortal or Carpathian Forest though you can clearly hear that there's an influence in black metal music from MF

I think a lot of the influence is from the makeup that King Diamond wore and the band image that black metal bands were inspired by as well and the theatrical elements associated with MF

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2007, 01:25:05 pm »
I think it's much harder to classify KD's music. Is it Traditional? Power? Black? Thrash? Speed? It has takes from all those genres, but it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is. But who cares, that makes it even better. :D:

Offline Verienkeli

• Lurker From The Dark
  • Ruumis leikkipuistossa
    • My account in Mikseri.net (in Finnish only)
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2007, 03:38:59 am »
I think it's much harder to classify KD's music. Is it Traditional? Power? Black? Thrash? Speed? It has takes from all those genres, but it's difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is. But who cares, that makes it even better. :D:

Agreed. It's just kick ass metal. And though it has changed quite a lot from the 80's, it still has that unique feeling in it. KD is just KD, no category would justify it.
The voice of Jouni Mömmö keeps haunting me.

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2007, 10:10:23 am »
I would consider KD just heavy metal, myself.  The fact that he tells stories leads his music a progressive touch as well.

But Mercyful Fate was and always will be black metal to me.  Hell, King even did low, demonic, growling vocals that I didn't hear any other bands doing at the time outside of the extreme metal spectrum.

Offline castle5

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2007, 06:45:14 pm »
mercyful fate has an evil ring to the guitars and vocals. its straight on old school 70,s style lead guitars. just love that denner and sherman together. never heard anything that melodic.....until everybody stole there style...screw the wannabees.. king is missing out but not doing more fate material...

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2009, 10:10:29 pm »
MF is the greatest black metal band ever imo. They are heavy-speed- and a bit of thrash. Black metal is what i have always considered mf to be because of the dark passion in the lyrics and music. :king:
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2009, 10:58:45 pm »
^ Exactly

And the bottom line is; Who's to tell the creators of such a genre that they don't play it anymore? Cronos STILL states that Venom plays Black Metal (not talking about just the song). He invented it! He plays it!

MF were classified with Venom and Slayer back then as being BM. I'm not so sure I agree about Slayer though, they never had the dark atmosphere, it was always in just the lyrics. But yeah, Black Metal would be the best way to describe Mercyful Fate's stuff, especially the early material!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 10:59:35 pm by Satan's Portrait »

Offline Mr_McKenzie

• Black Horseman
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2009, 06:29:04 am »
Mercyful Fate is black metal, the other bands are something else...  :king:
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not mean

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2009, 07:23:58 am »
wow this is a very old thread haha

but um no MF is just heavy metal imo.  :king:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 07:26:44 am by Maiden Jersey »

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2009, 04:13:19 pm »
I'm not so sure I agree about Slayer though, they never had the dark atmosphere, it was always in just the lyrics.

Maybe not. But their music did and does have its' own atmosphere. It compliments the lyrics. And they were using chords uncommon back then that probably did inspire and influence the 90s black metal music...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2009, 06:04:03 pm »
metal suits me fine.
one of the forefather's of black metal
I guess I'd say that too but never that I was a fan of black metal because what came after and what MF is/was is definitely not the same.
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2009, 02:25:49 pm »
Maybe not. But their music did and does have its' own atmosphere. It compliments the lyrics. And they were using chords uncommon back then that probably did inspire and influence the 90s black metal music...

I guess Hell Awaits is the darkest of all their albums.

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2009, 04:05:29 am »
Mercyful Fate is to black metal what Black Sabbath is to doom metal. In other words: they are the origins of the genre, but they don't quite belong to it. I would call them "proto-black" or something like that.
That's it! According to the widely accepted definition of the term, Black metal as a genre is just what the vast majority of people understands nowadays for "black metal". So, MF is NOT black metal. They did influence the bands carrying the modern black metal torch (no pun intended), but black metal, they are NOT.

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2009, 03:06:12 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the label for them back then, along with Venom? I remember reading an old article online from like 1983 that described Mercyful Fate as Black Metal. I wish I could find it. I guess my point is that "doom metal" wasn't a term until like....the mid 80s I think?

But I do consider them 'blacker' than most of today's throwaway bands that label themselves as Black Metal. They're either just a bunch of Dark Throne copycats or rely on being too br00tal to even have time for atmosphere.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:11:30 pm by Satan's Portrait »

Offline Vlad the Impaler

• Charon
  • The Saw is Family.
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2009, 01:22:15 am »
Mercyful Fate is Heavy Metal as far as I'm concerned. I can't find a proper term for them, other than
just Heavy Metal. Labels are just labels anyways. It's all Metal. No matter how heavy, or fast, it's
still just Heavy Metal.  :king:
Pain has a face, Allow me to show it to you.

Offline Satan's Portrait

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2009, 02:00:16 am »
Mercyful Fate is one of those band that can be classified as anything really. They're unique. I just think that Black Metal is one of the appriate terms for their music. Of course when it comes down to it basically, it's Metal. Just GREAT Metal! \m/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 02:00:55 am by Satan's Portrait »

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2009, 03:06:50 pm »
Mercyful Fate is Heavy Metal as far as I'm concerned. I can't find a proper term for them, other than
just Heavy Metal. Labels are just labels anyways. It's all Metal. No matter how heavy, or fast, it's
still just Heavy Metal.  :king:

I agree  :king:

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2009, 04:24:11 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that the label for them back then, along with Venom? I remember reading an old article online from like 1983 that described Mercyful Fate as Black Metal. I wish I could find it. I guess my point is that "doom metal" wasn't a term until like....the mid 80s I think?

What about Saint Vitus? I considered them Doom Metal back in the late 80s...
Resistance is inadvisable...