Author Topic: A Question About King Diamonds Musical taste  (Read 9748 times)

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
  • R.I.P Mr Ronnie James Dio \m/ \m/
A Question About King Diamonds Musical taste
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:28:31 am »
hey guys i was just wondering if any of you or if KING himself can answer my question?i think ive heard somewhere that some of KINGS favorite bands and biggest inspirations come from Uriah Heep,Led Zeppelin and Judas Priest? is that true,can anyone help me out here?maybe KING himself?id love to know! :king:

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
Re: A Question About King Diamonds Musical taste
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:23 am »
That is true, he is very inspired by Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull. The Judas Priest might be there as well, but i think that is more Hank Shermann who are inspired a lot there :)

Here's an answer:
I have many favorite bands, especially from the early '70s such as Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, and many many others.
My favorite vocalist of all time was and is still the late David Byron of Uriah Heep.
It's actually pretty easy to see the inspiration sometimes :)

The thread is this one btw:
http://www.covenworldwide.org/CWWforum/index.php?topic=1036.0

Offline prhill

• The Puppetmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:02:05 am »
Yes and he has said that David Byron of Uriah Heep was his biggest influence vocally.
We created god in our own image, every idea about god has been created by humans afterall - King

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 07:26:20 am »
Yes and he has said that David Byron of Uriah Heep was his biggest influence vocally.
Exacly :)

Offline Huntsm├Žnus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:01:34 am »
I keep hearing a Boston influence, as well. Yes and Generation X, too...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:02:29 am »
and of course Alice Cooper

METALLATEM

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 09:04:53 am »
Alice cooper. :cool:

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:39:30 pm »
That is true, he is very inspired by Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Jethro Tull. The Judas Priest might be there as well, but i think that is more Hank Shermann who are inspired a lot there :)

Here's an answer:It's actually pretty easy to see the inspiration sometimes :)

The thread is this one btw:
http://www.covenworldwide.org/CWWforum/index.php?topic=1036.0
awesome THANKS guy,see i knew i saw somewhere that he is a big zeppelin and uriah heep fan!and of course deep purple,black sabbath...and how could i forget alice cooper ??@?! i clearly remember him saying a few times in interviews how he went to a cooper show and was very inspired! im fans of all the bands king likes except i havent really heard anything by jethro tull..i wonder if king is a fan of Rush?or Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow?and i KNOW he is a fan of priest heres a pic to prove it! :cool:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:42:42 pm by BellwitchMF »

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 04:01:57 pm »
awesome THANKS guy,see i knew i saw somewhere that he is a big zeppelin and uriah heep fan!and of course deep purple,black sabbath...and how could i forget alice cooper ??@?! i clearly remember him saying a few times in interviews how he went to a cooper show and was very inspired! im fans of all the bands king likes except i havent really heard anything by jethro tull..i wonder if king is a fan of Rush?or Ritchie Blackmores Rainbow?and i KNOW he is a fan of priest heres a pic to prove it! :cool:

I am pretty sure that he like Rainbow as well as i think he like Dio both in Sabbath and solo.

As for Rush i actually don't know, i can only guess that he likes them, after all they are a brilliant band.

If you haven't heard Jethro Tull i recommend you listening to the records, Aqualung, War Child and Thick As A Brick

Those are all fantastic albums IMO :D

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 07:17:25 pm »
I am pretty sure that he like Rainbow as well as i think he like Dio both in Sabbath and solo.

As for Rush i actually don't know, i can only guess that he likes them, after all they are a brilliant band.

If you haven't heard Jethro Tull i recommend you listening to the records, Aqualung, War Child and Thick As A Brick

thanks man!! i know i get cranky sometimes but i still love you all hahaha you guys are my KD/MF family!!! and im sorry my friend mike couldnt stick around once you get to know him he is one awesome dude!! he just doesnt take well to critism lol but neither do i! :P sorry for being an asshole sometimes!im a good guy in real life hhahaha :D im irish so im sure i could hang with you bastian when it comes to drinking! :cool:

Offline Smechies

• Mad Arab
  • Ballsack
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:08 pm »

I read an interview were he said he was more into the Ozzy era Sabbath.
All hail the cock!  \m/

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 01:15:16 am »
I read an interview were he said he was more into the Ozzy era Sabbath.
More into and doesn't like aren't the same, i was sure he liked Ozzy perioud more, i understand that too, the songs we're simply just better, even though i like Dio as a vocalist more than Ozzy:cool:

thanks man!! i know i get cranky sometimes but i still love you all hahaha you guys are my KD/MF family!!! and im sorry my friend mike couldnt stick around once you get to know him he is one awesome dude!! he just doesnt take well to critism lol but neither do i! :P sorry for being an asshole sometimes!im a good guy in real life hhahaha :D im irish so im sure i could hang with you bastian when it comes to drinking! :cool:
You'd better :cool:

I understand that some people might get cranky about critism, but you must deal with it. cause in the end it's only for the help of people. I know Mike might be a good guy and i have nothing against him at all :)

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 12:42:13 pm »
More into and doesn't like aren't the same, i was sure he liked Ozzy perioud more, i understand that too, the songs we're simply just better, even though i like Dio as a vocalist more than Ozzy:cool:
You'd better :cool:

I understand that some people might get cranky about critism, but you must deal with it. cause in the end it's only for the help of people. I know Mike might be a good guy and i have nothing against him at all :)
hes just a hardcore KD/MF fan just like the rest of us!! hail my brother!! :cool:

Offline bladestone9

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • Taste Religion...Lick A Witch!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 01:39:41 pm »
It is evident that KING likes Priest by the fact He stated the He wanted to do "The Ripper" because He loved the song and was a Priest fan. It's in the liner notes to the Priest tribute album. Anyway I would say that both Alice Cooper and KISS were both inspiration for KING. More Alice than KISS. But I am sure there is a little Demon in dragon boots influence in there. Which is why I was embarassed by Gene's antics toward KING in the latte 80's. Gene even admits that Alice was an influence, so how dare he  complain. Anyway, sorry, old iritant for KISS and KING fan. I apologize for Gene being a dick sometimes everyone. :king:
I CAN'T GO TO HELL...SATAN STILL HAS THAT RESTRAINING ORDER AGAINST ME.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 03:38:02 pm »
It is evident that KING likes Priest by the fact He stated the He wanted to do "The Ripper" because He loved the song and was a Priest fan. It's in the liner notes to the Priest tribute album. Anyway I would say that both Alice Cooper and KISS were both inspiration for KING. More Alice than KISS. But I am sure there is a little Demon in dragon boots influence in there. Which is why I was embarassed by Gene's antics toward KING in the latte 80's. Gene even admits that Alice was an influence, so how dare he  complain. Anyway, sorry, old iritant for KISS and KING fan. I apologize for Gene being a dick sometimes everyone. :king:
That's not your fault Blade :cool:

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 07:47:14 pm »
I know that he's also a fan of Captain Beyond.  He was very proud of his Captain Beyond collection back in 1998.  He played me one of the albums but I'm not sure which one it was.  There were some songs on there that were very progressive for the early 1970s.  Some stuff that pre-dates similar stuff by Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Beyond

Offline ...To the Morgue.

• Lurker From The Dark
    • https://www.facebook.com/dooms666day
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 08:21:40 pm »
This is what I've got here...Enjoy  :D

Taken from "History of Metal 94'-95' (Creator of Metal Maniacs)

Essential metal recordings of all time...it's personal...

King Diamond :

Uriah Heep - Look at Yourself
Captain Beyond
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple- In rock
Led Zeppelin led Zeppelin II
Alice Cooper - Killer
Budgie - In for the Kill
Rush - Permanent Waves
Lucifer's Friend
Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29:50 pm »
Wow. that list kicks a lot of ass. I have about half of those albums. I checked out Captain Beyond on youtube because I'd never heard of em. Very cool.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 01:11:49 am »

King Diamond :

Captain Beyond
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple- In rock
Alice Cooper - Killer
Budgie - In for the Kill
Rush - Permanent Waves
Lucifer's Friend
Kickass! :cool:

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 05:01:02 am »

King Diamond :

Captain Beyond
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple- In rock
Alice Cooper - Killer
Budgie - In for the Kill
Rush - Permanent Waves
Lucifer's Friend
wait so is this KINGs actual list???

Offline BellwitchMF

• Angel Of Light
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 05:01:52 am »
I know that he's also a fan of Captain Beyond.  He was very proud of his Captain Beyond collection back in 1998.  He played me one of the albums but I'm not sure which one it was.  There were some songs on there that were very progressive for the early 1970s.  Some stuff that pre-dates similar stuff by Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Beyond
also what do you mean KING played it foer you???do you know him somehow??explain! :gah: :king:

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 05:17:11 am »
wait so is this KINGs actual list???
They probably asked him :) What doesn't make sense is that Jethro Tull isn't on the list :gah:

Offline jeffthechef

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 10:38:24 am »
OK, so now we know what bands King was into in the '70's.  What are his favs from the '80's and who does he like now?

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 12:11:15 pm »
He's probably a huge fan of Faith Illusion  \m/

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 02:37:23 pm »
Back in late 1997 I hooked up with Metal Blade Records to help promote Voodoo.  At that time, not many bands had websites and it was very rare to get an audio clip from upcoming music.  I had an advance copy of Voodoo and I had access to an MP3 encoder.  Back in early 1998 you could not just rip a CD on your computer like you can now.  The software to rip the CD was 20,000 USD and it took HOURS.  A buddy of mine in Croatia had a music studio and had this software so he let me use it to rip the Voodoo CD.  I then obtained permission from Metal Blade to create a Voodoo site and have clips up there.  Most people at the time were on dial-up still so I had one complete song ripped as AM radio quality and 2 clips from other songs in higher FM radio quality.  I ran the site off of a spare server at my employer's office and the response was phenomenal.  I got invited to do an interview with King right before the Voodoo tour kicked off.  During the tour, I received a copy of Dead Again and immediately registered deadagain.com.  Once again I got permission to encode some music and post it on the site and this time I also embarked on a road trip from Seattle to Houston in August 1998 to follow the tour and post daily updates on the site with photos.  I managed to meet everyone in the band on my way from Seattle through California and into Arizona except King.  Finally I arrived in San Antonio and was invited to dinner with the band and crew.  I finally met King and that night he schooled me on the history of heavy metal.  He had stacks of import CDs and we had quite the listening party.  The photo that I took of Mike Wead and posted in the Sirius thread is from that trip.