Author Topic: Forgive me! The eye is a great album, but i would welcome a remake with drums.  (Read 22812 times)

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
Others have suggested this before. I would love to hear The Eye with real drums which don't echo unrealistically and sound synthy/fake.

The songs on that album are fairly strong & real drums (inc. double-kick, courtesy of Matt Thompson!) would result in a higher rating from me.
Paulcoz.

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@paulcoz. Right on! Thats exactly how i feel. :king: :)
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline RIFF

• Uninvited Guest
  • Nuns have fun! Candles!
would be nice to hear it, i must admit

but id like to hear spiders with better drum production above all!
Where are you going with that knife?!?!?!?!

Offline gamemaster

• Lady In Black
would be nice to hear it, i must admit

but id like to hear spiders with better drum production above all!

...And better drums...

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
Real or no real drum kit I don't see the point to rerecord the drum track...A lot of metal bands use triggers, drum samples and sequencer to record drum and no one seem to care about "real drum kit".   So the drums on the eyes was recorded the way it intend to be.  King wanted to experiment this way like many other bands at the same time period.  I still wonder why peoples are still upset about this today...

I agree. The drums on that album never bothered me one bit.
That's what's funny about internet message boards. A few people complain about something, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon.....like the no-bass thing on Metallica's Justice....who cares? it's a fantastic album. Listen to it for what it is, mess around with your amp settings to make it sound better to your ears, but don't demand that those bands spend thousands of dollars just to make your perfect little world better! Life sucks! Get used to it!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
I agree. The drums on that album never bothered me one bit.
That's what's funny about internet message boards. A few people complain about something, then everyone jumps on the bandwagon.....like the no-bass thing on Metallica's Justice....who cares? it's a fantastic album. Listen to it for what it is, mess around with your amp settings to make it sound better to your ears, but don't demand that those bands spend thousands of dollars just to make your perfect little world better! Life sucks! Get used to it!
same goes for the reverse...

DBTO IS TEH TR00 MF ALBUM
 ::)
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@belzebub. Awe, come on! I guarantee guarantee GUARANTEE GUARANTEE that you undertand that st.anger is the worst worst WORST WORST produced album in the history of human kind. Now really belzebub, do you really really REALLY REALLY believe that leaving st.anger as it is is acceptable. Of course you dont. Anyway, your opinion is valid, i just disagree, thats all. :)
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
Anyway, please read this topics title again. I say the eye is great. :cool:

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
@belzebub. Awe, come on! I guarantee guarantee GUARANTEE GUARANTEE that you undertand that st.anger is the worst worst WORST WORST produced album in the history of human kind. Now really belzebub, do you really really REALLY REALLY believe that leaving st.anger as it is is acceptable. Of course you dont. Anyway, your opinion is valid, i just disagree, thats all. :)

I never said anything about st-anger!....not in this thread anyway!
But it's true about Justice. I had never heard any complaint about the bass before I read it on some message board. Now all of a sudden, everybody and their mother complains about the lack of bass on that album.... ::)
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline gamemaster

• Lady In Black
I never said anything about st-anger!....not in this thread anyway!
But it's true about Justice. I had never heard any complaint about the bass before I read it on some message board. Now all of a sudden, everybody and their mother complains about the lack of bass on that album.... ::)

i've heard complains about the bass and the whole production of Justice,since the release of the album back in 1988.Not that there is no bass,but that there is a monotonus,blury thing ,playing all the time some note patterns with no clarity at all.It was true and it was discussed in the metal community at that time.At least in my country.
i suppose the global use of the internet,spread these issues around the world.They were always at the back of our heads,discussed locally,and all of sudden globally!It is as simple as that!

Offline Room of the Golden Air

• Deadly Lullabye
  • Dying for a cup of tea!
    • dissentedpremise@myspace.com
Good Thread!! I personally think the drums are perfect. I have been a die hard King fan since (Since Forever! (couldnt resist that)) the 1990 and had no idea that the drums were a drum machine. As I listen to it now, I can tell. Still is perfect fit IMHO     \m/

Now for 2 questions I would LOVE answered:
First, how many hours did it take King to program the drums
Second, what kind of samples/hardware did he use
Or has King declassified this info yet?

True Tech Fodder for all us Techies  :D     :king:

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
Good Thread!! I personally think the drums are perfect. I have been a die hard King fan since (Since Forever! (couldnt resist that)) the 1990 and had no idea that the drums were a drum machine. As I listen to it now, I can tell. Still is perfect fit IMHO     \m/

Now for 2 questions I would LOVE answered:
First, how many hours did it take King to program the drums
Second, what kind of samples/hardware did he use
Or has King declassified this info yet?

True Tech Fodder for all us Techies  :D     :king:

I thought King always maintained that Snowy Shaw played on this album using an electronic kit??
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@beelzebub. I didnt mean to incinuate that you mentioned st.anger. I just mentioned st.anger as a reference point. And truely and honestly i have always in my mind and with friends bitched about the lack of bass on justice. I love justice, but metallica deliberatly turned the bass way down during production as a childish stupid way to haze newsted. Justice is great, but that did hurt justice a bit on the production side. :(

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
@beelzebub. I didnt mean to incinuate that you mentioned st.anger. I just mentioned st.anger as a reference point. And truely and honestly i have always in my mind and with friends bitched about the lack of bass on justice. I love justice, but metallica deliberatly turned the bass way down during production as a childish stupid way to haze newsted. Justice is great, but that did hurt justice a bit on the production side. :(

the hate for st-anger started the minute people heard it. It wasn't an internet bandwagon jumping thing. It's just a plain bad album.
I (still) believe that the bass issues of Justice weren't related with childish egos or whatever. A majority of the thrash releases from the '80s were extremely trebble-happy! As long as you could hear the guitars and the vocals, it was considered a good enough mix to put out. Justice just falls in the same category. There is not that much bass in the mix of Ride the Lightning either......oh noes! here comes the Cliff fanboys..... :P

Offline ACJimbo

• Holy Shrine
  • South Of Heaven
I agree - I never believed that thing about Lars lowering the bass sound intentionally, why on earth would he do screw up his own record?
You Carry The Will
As The Morning Is Near

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@beelzebub @acjimbo. After cliffs death, met went mental. The hazing of newsted was real. Yes they like newsted as a friend, but they didnt give a fuck if there was a defined bass on justice. They didnt care for the bass quality on justice. Just look at st.anger, they deliberatly put out a vomit snare and production because they were caught up in ego and victim mentallity. Now thank god that death magnetic was pretty cool because they were about to seal their music coffins.

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
After cliffs death, met went mental. The hazing of newsted was real.

Then how come he can be heard plenty on Garage Days Re-revisited?...that was the first Metallica album he was on.

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@beelzebub. Its all psychological. For garage days it was priority to show the world that we have a bass player and everything is cool. When justice came, they, james kirk lars, fell into this is our baby mentallity, even though you are still cool jason but we will haze you like retarded children... Thats what happened! And dont forget, load, reload, pimp suits, symphony, a psychologist to sooth the multimillionars fears, massive drug alchohol abuse, james cheating on wife, james childhood issues(which were not his fault). cliffs death. vanity. stage shows with ridiculas circus like stunts and idiocy... Personaly, i like james kirk lars rob and jason. They are better men today, but all of what they did back then was a mental control train wreck. They even admit they were a bit lost after cliff died. Thank god they are "normal" again. I wish them the best... Im rambling, but i hope you get my statement.  :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:27:28 pm by Akillica »

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
I'm not sure I follow exactly, but hey, whatever you wanna believe is fine with me.  :cool:

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@beelzebub. Well all i know is that i am glad james is strait and the rest of the band has calmed down the past insane lifestyle. And death magnetic is a real nice suprise and has some killer songs on it. :cool:   On the hazing subject, that was pathetic what they did. I know i know, jokes are fun, but met back then went a bit overboard with it. Anyway, they feel bad about it and its a nice learning experience for them. :)   

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
Anyway, back to topic for me. Oh ya, drums on the eye would be sweet! :king:

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
Back to the metallica subject real quick. I do want to be fair and say that these are my gut feeling observations about the dark times and success of metallicas very interesting music and lives. I dont know them but please take what i have observed of them for the last 20 something years  and come to your own reasonable conclusions. I am not a psychologist, but i am a die hard old school metal fan. :cool:

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
Well to be honest I don`t like the drum machine on The Eye either. You guys are still right about the "magic" of the original sound though. But... There is a very big difference when you compare it to Them and Conspiracy, where Mikkey Dee kicked major ass. It`s still a kind of pity they didn`t give Snowy Shaw a slight chance to show himself off and he`s still bitter about that. I`m sure it would have been amazing, just listen to the fuckin` Time album (best MF drumming ever IMHO). Or listen to the Illwill album, Shaw is a total monster on drums and even back in the day in the 1990 he might have been technically superior to Mikkey. But he was 20 or something at the time and a newbie, so he could only shut up.
That being said, I wouldn`t like The Eye to be changed, mostly for the reasons which have already been stated. There`s still a possibility to listen to some live versions with real drummers.
And by the way... Bjarne T. Holm gave the old MF songs serious kick in the ass on the Guitar Hero game, didn`t he  \m/

Offline Night Prowler

• Unclean Spirit
Going back to Metallica quickly, here's an extract from Terrorizer magazine about the making of '...And Justice For All', by mixer Steve Thompson...

"We butted heads a lot on this record. Lars would come in with specific EQ settings of exactly how he wanted his drums to sound and I didn't agree because I like listening to loud music. I showed them on a big sound system that the EQ on the kick drum would blow certain speakers out if you played it a certain level, but he loved that fact and he wanted to keep it that way. So, I basically had Mike Barbiero get that going, working with him on that, while I did my thing bringing the guitars, bass and everything up, then kinda redesigning the drum sound a little bit from where Lars wanted it. Hetfield was in the studio and he gave the thumbs up and everything was great, and then Lars came in and he looks at me and he says 'What happened to my drum sound?' And I think I said something to the effect of, 'You weren't serious, were you?'

"So he made us go back to the same drum sound that he'd come up with and then I remember him saying, 'The bass is too loud' and I said, 'What do you mean?' because to me, the bass was a perfect marriage with Hetfield's guitars, and Lars says, 'Take it down to where you can barely hear it'. I just looked at Hetfield and he threw his hands up. But at the end of the day, it's the band's record, so I have to do what they say. I love the record, the songs, the attitude that went on in there, but we butted heads, we had a difference of opinion. The only disappointment I have is that I didn't take two or three weeks to mix it like I heard it, just to have it that way. The question I get from most people is, 'I love the record but where's the bass?', I say, 'Ask Lars'."

So, the shit sound was all down to Lars. Nice one mate!
My sweet Satan, you are the one!

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
The drum programing is quite good on the eye for its time. My 2 cents on AJFA, the drums sound like shit and the bass is not there. other than that it is a fucking awesome album. Imo its a guitar driven record and they used up the last of their good riffs on that album.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:45:33 am by Maiden Jersey »