Author Topic: HOG vs GMYSP. Which one do you prefer over the other?  (Read 11474 times)

Offline TheUnnamedOne

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
Re: HOG vs GMYSP. Which one do you prefer over the other?
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 05:56:48 am »
I don't know. I like some songs on House of God better than some on Gimme your soul and vice versa. Storywise I like them pretty much the same. But I think I have to go with Gimme your soul...please cuz Andys and Mikes leadplaying on this is just amazing!

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 06:53:52 am »
GMYSP. It has more good songs than HOG, imo.
I really think the writing and overall feel of the album makes HOG better.
while GYMSP is fun and catchy lyrically and vocally it's a bit bare.

HOG for me.
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 08:28:26 am »
Both albums are awesome, both are so unique and different from eachother. I do have to say this, every kd album has its own look and feel to it. Thats why king rules! :)
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 09:30:56 am »
this just seems like an arbitrary comparison to me. abigail II: the revenge and the puppet master came after HOG and before GMYSP, so theres really no back-to-back continuity to consider. when it comes to a direct comparison between the two, I really think that all of Kings work is on the same level and it just boils down to individual taste as to which is better. personally, I like them both the same, and which one I listen to depends on my mood at the time.

Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Kingwild

• Global Moderator
  • Dead Again
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2009, 06:24:02 am »
HOG for the unique disturbing story and the sinful atmosphere. :king:
shouldn't anyone forget the incredible album artcover.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:24:48 am by Kingwild »
"I sharpened my blade all of these years , waiting to take my revenge.The heads of those
who  tried

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2009, 11:52:26 am »
@kingwild. Hell ya, right on! The HOG cover is wicked! :king:
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline Demon1

• The Preacher
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 06:43:02 pm »
For me it's GMYS....P. I dig the story and the artwork isn't bad at all to me. Different, but in a good way.
Darkness Never Comes Too Soon.

Offline The Family Ghost

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 08:36:33 pm »
I've got to go with HOG by a small margin.  Truth be told though I don't rank either disc in the upper half of the KD catalog.  Someone mentioned Voodoo ... that one kicks the hell out of these other two.  Voodoo could be an awesome disc if it ended stronger ... the story line/filler tracks in the latter half kind of stop the awesome momentum built up earlier in the disc.  Still, it's a very strong disc, and one of the better discs he's put out since the glory years material.

Don't get me wrong .. I like both HOG and GMYSP, but they are just not up to the level of KD's best material.  GMYSP is just not agressive enough for my tastes, and I don't like the production.  I like the production to be much more bombastic.  I also think the story line is one of KD's weakest.  HOG's production is kind of dry souding as well .... Voodoo's production is excellent to my ears.

T.F.G.

Offline pepsicat

• Unclean Spirit
  • Hi! Im pepsicat, magic's 6th cousin, moms side
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2009, 11:40:53 pm »
GMYSP definitely.  I love the clean sound of the mix on the album and hearing every single note being played by all the instruments.  I think both albums are good but GMYSP has more highpoints songwise (Neverending Hill/ Black of Night/ Mirror Mirror/ GMYSP are my 4 favorite tracks).  I prefer to listen to the albums all the way through but if I had to just listen to 1 or 2 songs at a time I would pick more on GMYSP then HOG.

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 07:30:01 am »
GMYSP is better. All of the songs are beyond awesome and both guitarists play suberb riffs and solos on the album. Story has very much of The Shining feel (it's a great thing!) and King delivers great vocals and one of the best vocal melodies ever. I do love HOG album as well but Give Me Your Soul... Please is simply my favourite KD album after Abigail.

Offline cacaman

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
  • BAGUETTE OF DOOM
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 08:11:19 am »
Story has very much of The Shining feel (it's a great thing!)

I didn't know Shining was so boring XD
Honestly... Nothing happens in the 3 first songs, except the fact that it's the NIGHT. OMG! it's so dark, i can't see, shadows everywhere, i need a light, it's so hard to see... but the moon is full XD :gah:
Then there are incoherences, the little boy accused to have committed suicide (wtf? the "judges" are drunk or what?), the floating head that comes from nowhere... although some parts of the atmosphere are really well thought and well done.

and King delivers great vocals and one of the best vocal melodies ever.

uuuuh......
King's vocals are just getting weaker with time and this is not a reproach, this is just... nature!

I do love HOG album as well but Give Me Your Soul... Please is simply my favourite KD album after Abigail.

that's ok..  :) I think overall it is a nice album too but it doesn't satisfy me as much as you. Though this album is strongly attached to some parts of my life and each time i listen to it, it reminds me a lot of things. That's why i like it. But objectively the story is not polished enough.

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 08:32:12 am »
@cacaman. Even though gmysp is solitudish, the riffs and production are killer. And when it comes to the vocals, they were strong imo. I will admit that i have always liked the high vocal best like in the early albums, but to me, gmysp is extremely satisfying all around! :)

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2009, 01:25:00 pm »
I would of said GMYSP when it first came out but the honeymoon wore off rather quick but now I guess I would go with HOG because the story is way better imo.

Offline Nachtsider

• Emerencia
  • Shadowmancer Supreme
    • Nachtsider at VampireFreaks.com
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 06:07:12 pm »
Both are good albums, but I like 'Give Me Your Soul, Please' better.
There may be no peace for the wicked, but the righteous can damn well get a piece whenever they feel

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 06:01:27 pm »
I remember when GMYSP first came out on here and people were claiming it was his best work ever and it just isn't.  Lyrically there's really none of that evil snare that all of his other albums have...butterflies, cold air and black shapes and darkness?   Sure, there's a lot of themes going on but it's not exactly his most sophisticated or fear-filled efforts.

and vocally it's quite timid and accessible on the scale of things....which doesn't help the lack of things going on.

I'm not really one of these old-fashioned elitists demanding King be more satanic or whatever but there just isn't much bite or edge in this album, some cool hooks and parts but definitely a step-back from what I'd expect.

I would say though that this is the perfect album to introduce new fans to King without having to hit them with something like The Oath straight away.

whether that's a good thing or not is debatable I guess.

While it's a fun listen and it doesn't have parts that would make me skip certain songs like TPM does (So Sad/Christmas etc) or some stuff in Abigail 2.  Even the most enjoyable songs for me are so pale in comparrison to the teeth on TPM and Ab 2. 
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline KingForever112

• A Family Ghost
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 03:15:34 pm »
GMYSP i think if king put out GMYSP as his first album nothing would live up to it,
"Room of Golden Air" - Mercyful Fate
lyrics:
""

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
HOG REMASTER A BILLION TRILLION TIMES OVER!!!!!!!! And I'll tell ya why. GMYSP does not have Just A Shadow, The Trees Have Eyes, and Catacombs. HOG REMASTER has much better artwork, production, and story line. AND I consider HOG to be the peak of King Diamond vocal abilities. You heard me, he peaked around the year 2000. Actually, you could debate Abigail 2 era as well. Oh, and King had one of my favorite riffmasters on HOG, Glen Drover. Wead may be better technically and all around, but I like Drover's riffs better.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 07:12:14 pm by Hammerheart »

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »
GMYSP.

HOG has less-energetic songs (many of the riffs sound tired/dated - Black Devil is my least favourite KD song ever), the production is poorer (it sounds like the acoustics of the room affected the vocals, the guitars have no crunch/impact). The sound effects sound cheap - compare the church bell ringing in Passage To Hell (HOG) vs. the end of Cremation (Conspiracy)...sounds like a doorbell. Oh & the 'music box'/jangling effect on Passage To Hell sounds like a less-effective recycling of that at the end of the far superior "Them" title track.

I do think the concept/story of HOG was good & the music would sound better with GMYSP's production. Songs are still lacking though. HOG is my least favourite album, in case you haven't noticed! :-[
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 08:03:06 pm by paulcoz »
Paulcoz.

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2010, 08:03:22 am »
I didn't know Shining was so boring XD
Honestly... Nothing happens in the 3 first songs, except the fact that it's the NIGHT. OMG! it's so dark, i can't see, shadows everywhere, i need a light, it's so hard to see... but the moon is full XD :gah:
Then there are incoherences, the little boy accused to have committed suicide (wtf? the "judges" are drunk or what?), the floating head that comes from nowhere... although some parts of the atmosphere are really well thought and well done.
The Shining, boring???! I don't know if you prefer action or gore but personally I do like novels, movies and music that are atmospheric, gloomy, cosy etc. What I'm trying to say is that the action isn't always good thing. Awesome atmosphere is often much more important thing for me. To be honest I haven't read the book The Shining yet (I bought it some time ago though) but the movie is pure geniousness. Jack Nicholson's performance is bloody-minded yet cosy. I feel comfortable when I watch the movie because of the certain atmosphere. I can feel some kind of similatiries when I'm listening to GMYSP.

The story is mystical and fascinating. I don't perfectly understand every single detail of it but it makes the story much more enchanting. It's magical.

uuuuh......
King's vocals are just getting weaker with time and this is not a reproach, this is just... nature!
It's your opinion. I respect your opinion but I disagree. Even I love the way how King used to do/mix the high notes before I think he's still singing perfect vocals. I love the deep and low KD voice which at times is reminding me of Alice Cooper's best vocals. And I adore the variety of low and high notes. For me the highest notes aren't the absolute value. As you can hear King Diamond is still master of doing the high notes. On GMYSP there's some very high notes and background vocals are as high as ever. The vocals have been mixed differently. You should hear that if you listen to the album more spesifically. It's hard for me to choose which kind of KD vocals I like the most. It depends on my mood. On every single KD album the vocal performance is beyond amazing and same goes for MF. I used to think that Abigail's vocals are the best but now I think they have been mixed too high-pitched (at least on remaster the vocals doesn't sound as good as possible). There's better mixing on The Anniversary Abigail and on original version of Abigail.

But objectively the story is not polished enough.
It's your subjective opinion, not the truth. The only thing I don't get so well is The Floating Head woman. Is she the mother of those children, a spirit or what... I would like to know. Where does the hands come from etc.? However the story is amazing. In my opinion the least good KD story is Conspiracy. It's good but I think the "Them" story would have been even better without that sequel. Don't get me wrong I adore Conspiracy's music and many things of the story but wholly it's not that great story.