Author Topic: We all have favorite mf-kd albums. But in reality, every album is good or great!  (Read 17106 times)

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
haha you guessed it !  :D :P
(sheer coincidence that Bruce has sang both of these songs since his return and now Maiden fans stand by them, as loyal is ever! :D)

but that's a real shame about Virtual XI...while it doesn't need to be said, the album is pretty repetitive and lacking... lyrically which you COULD put down to Blaze (I think you see these same traits in BNW) though I think Steve wrote the angel and the gambler himself, as well as play the keyboards on the track...which some people see as a total death knell for the band.  But I like the album, it's a good piece of fun, in the same way Fear Of The Dark or No Prayer For The Dying is...and Metallica's Load too!

Sure it may not (definitely isn't) their strongest moment but all of those albums have songs that really stand up in their catalogue and I just think the others are underated  :P

Como Estais Amigos is a beautiful and powerful ballad...and I'd love to hear Bruce tackle this especially.

Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger...again, poorly written but the instrumetal sections are rich and operatic and as glorious as on Dance Of Death.

I love the brooding of Lightning Strikes Twice too.

severely underrated album
 \m/
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
.I do gotta say this about maidens -bring your daughter to the slaughter-, the music is AWESOME, but the lyrics are so bad :(   I wish the song was about something else. Mabey they should have called it -bring your brother to the slaughter- and made the lyrics about the civil war. Just my thoughts. :)
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
.I do gotta say this about maidens -bring your daughter to the slaughter-, the music is AWESOME, but the lyrics are so bad :(   I wish the song was about something else. Mabey they should have called it -bring your brother to the slaughter- and made the lyrics about the civil war. Just my thoughts. :)
really?  I love the lyrics...the chorus is a total 'crowd pleaser', I love the way Bruce sings with such raspiness and sleaze, spitting out the words. Totally fits the atmos of the song...the creeping guitar too!
"honey it's getting close to midnight!!" :D
oh and maiden have enough war songs to last them a lifetime. :gah:
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
(sheer coincidence that Bruce has sang both of these songs since his return and now Maiden fans stand by them, as loyal is ever! :D)

but that's a real shame about Virtual XI...while it doesn't need to be said, the album is pretty repetitive and lacking... lyrically which you COULD put down to Blaze (I think you see these same traits in BNW) though I think Steve wrote the angel and the gambler himself, as well as play the keyboards on the track...which some people see as a total death knell for the band.  But I like the album, it's a good piece of fun, in the same way Fear Of The Dark or No Prayer For The Dying is...and Metallica's Load too!

Sure it may not (definitely isn't) their strongest moment but all of those albums have songs that really stand up in their catalogue and I just think the others are underated  :P

Como Estais Amigos is a beautiful and powerful ballad...and I'd love to hear Bruce tackle this especially.

Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger...again, poorly written but the instrumetal sections are rich and operatic and as glorious as on Dance Of Death.

I love the brooding of Lightning Strikes Twice too.

severely underrated album
 \m/

Its not that I dont like Blaze, I love his solo stuff and TXF is one of Maidens best imo, its just that the songs on VXI dont hook me in like most Maidens songs do. :P
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 09:43:44 am by Maiden Jersey »

Offline ACJimbo

• Holy Shrine
  • South Of Heaven
I think Maiden were a bit of a joke back then. I mean, I saw them on the tv miming to Angel.... and Steve Harris was playing bass WITH A PICK!!!!
You Carry The Will
As The Morning Is Near

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@beast regards. Thats cool. As i said, the music is AWESOME. I understand what you are saying even though i dislike the lyrics. :) :cool:
And god said to adam and eve, "you may listen to mf/kd, but dont eat those apples over there".

Offline Wilmar

• Deadly Lullabye
@huntsmaenus. Notice I said "facts in MY OPINION". But anyway, its true, mf-kd do not have a bad album. :) :cool:   Do you really believe in your heart that mf-kd have a BAD album? :)

Yes! I do believe King Diamond and even Mercyful Fate have bad albums. In the case of King Diamond, I sincerely dislike:
The Eye
The Spiders Lullabye
The Graveyard
House of God
Abigail 2: The Revenge
The Puppet Master
Deadly Lullabies: Live
Give Me Your Soul Please

From Mercyful Fate I only dislike parts of 'Into The Unknown' and almost all King-penned songs on 'Dead Again'. I also dislike the re-recordings of 'Evil' and 'Curse Of The Pharaos'. But then again I am known for being a critical listener...

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
Yes! I do believe King Diamond and even Mercyful Fate have bad albums. In the case of King Diamond, I sincerely dislike:
The Eye
The Spiders Lullabye
The Graveyard
House of God
The Puppet Master
Give Me Your Soul Please

From Mercyful Fate I only dislike parts of 'Into The Unknown' and almost all King-penned songs on 'Dead Again'. I also dislike the re-recordings of 'Evil' and 'Curse Of The Pharaos'. But then again I am known for being a critical listener...
Well, I'm surprised, because I am also a very critical listener and far from being a KD fanboy, and I wouldn't qualify as "bad" any of those albums. In fact, some of them above I think are VERY good albums ("The Spiders Lullabye", "The Graveyard", "The Puppet Master", "Into The Unknown"...)

So, I got to agree to the original post: King is consistent as hell! Of course there are some outstanding albums, while some others aren't that good (compared to King's own standards), but man I wished all the other metal bands I like were as regularly solid as KD and MF are, really.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:09:23 am by zorrow »

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
The Eye
The Spiders Lullabye
The Graveyard
House of God
The Puppet Master
Give Me Your Soul Please

so you hate over half of king diamond's discography?  that's a shame.
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
I think Maiden were a bit of a joke back then. I mean, I saw them on the tv miming to Angel.... and Steve Harris was playing bass WITH A PICK!!!!
it was most definitely one of the lowest points of the band's career but they're stronger now than they ever have been!

It's also pretty comforting to know that here not everyone has leapt to the idea of praising everything KD/MF have done like you would find in most other forums :king:
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
Well, I'm surprised, because I am also a very critical listener and far from being a KD fanboy, and I wouldn't qualify as "bad" any of those albums. In fact, some of them above I think are VERY good albums ("The Spiders Lullabye", "The Graveyard", "The Puppet Master", "Into The Unknown"...)

So, I got to agree to the original post: King is consistent as hell! Of course there are some outstanding albums, while some others aren't that good (compared to King's own standards), but man I wished all the other metal bands I like were as regularly solid as KD and MF are, really.
I agree... though I think the sound and song-writing on TSL is especially lacking
TO THE MORGUE
TAKE THEM TO THE MORGUE
TO THE MORGUE
TAKE THEM TO THE MORGUE
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
it was most definitely one of the lowest points of the band's career but they're stronger now than they ever have been!

It's also pretty comforting to know that here not everyone has leapt to the idea of praising everything KD/MF have done like you would find in most other forums :king:

I really do agree with all of that.

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
Yes, it is all in the eye of the beholder, but IMO mf kd is so consistent. And even with TSL originally average production, it still kicks ass. To me, every mf album after DBTO is killer! The riffs are always there and its heavy as fuck. Even the melodic parts are haunting cool. Every kd album after conspiracy is vintage king. Anyway, these are my opinions and any unauthorized duplication of my opinions is prohibited by law! Well, not really! :D :cool: :D

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
Yes, it is all in the eye of the beholder, but IMO mf kd is so consistent. And even with TSL originally average production, it still kicks ass. To me, every mf album after DBTO is killer! The riffs are always there and its heavy as fuck. Even the melodic parts are haunting cool. Every kd album after conspiracy is vintage king. Anyway, these are my opinions and any unauthorized duplication of my opinions is prohibited by law! Well, not really! :D :cool: :D

why after those albums specifically? "Them" and Melissa are two of the best!
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline deni

• Deadly Lullabye
  • BANNED
without doubt the best king albums are the first 4 anything after that is good but not special.

Offline King Of Diamonds

• Possessed
  • I am many...We are one... The HIGHEST!
Best King albums imo:

House Of God
Abigail II the Revenge
Voodoo
The Spiders Lullaby
Give Me Your Soul Please
Fatal Portrait

...then the rest.

MF:
In The Shadows
Melissa
Time
Don't Break The Oath
Into The Unknown
...then the others.

All of the MF & KD albums are awesome though. :king:

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
all of they are great

but a special feeling for MF

DEAD AGAING (super brutal)
TIME

and kd

Abigaill II
Voodo

BAMT

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
all of they are great

but a special feeling for MF

DEAD AGAING (super brutal)
TIME

and kd

Abigaill II
Voodo

Funny how different tastes are. Of all the albums above, I have three at the lowest point in my personal ranking: "Dead Again", "Abigail II" and "Voodoo". I don't think those are bad albums, but I'm not too much into them.

I do like a lot "Time" though. :king:

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
Mf kd are the metal model of consistency. Even the song/interlude 2 little girls is good. Mabey i should have called this topic, we all have favorite mf kd songs. But in reality, every song is good or great! :)

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@zorrow. Time is cool! :cool:  love the cover to. Dark, simple and to the point! :king:

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
I agree with this thread. King Diamond and Mercyful Fate are the most consistant bands around! I can't really say that about other tyrants like Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Sabbath, Venom, Candlemass etc...not even Motorhead!

I don't mind if sometimes a band experiments or suffers from an identity crises, as there are often good outcomes to those (I'll use Sentenced as an example here), but King Diamond stays true to whatever he does without getting repetitve or boring (like some Motorhead stuff. AC/DC, I'm looking at you too!).

No album in their discography sounds rushed or bland. Not even Dead Again, which has been brought up in this thread many times alongside Into The Unknown. I really do like those albums, especially Dead Again, but seriously; compare them to the worst Maiden or Priest albums, or even (insert random band here).

Yeah.... :D

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
I agree with this thread. King Diamond and Mercyful Fate are the most consistant bands around! I can't really say that about other tyrants like Priest, Maiden, Saxon, Sabbath, Venom, Candlemass etc...not even Motorhead!

I don't mind if sometimes a band experiments or suffers from an identity crises, as there are often good outcomes to those (I'll use Sentenced as an example here), but King Diamond stays true to whatever he does without getting repetitve or boring (like some Motorhead stuff. AC/DC, I'm looking at you too!).

No album in their discography sounds rushed or bland. Not even Dead Again, which has been brought up in this thread many times alongside Into The Unknown. I really do like those albums, especially Dead Again, but seriously; compare them to the worst Maiden or Priest albums, or even (insert random band here).

Yeah.... :D
isnt it a fact that TSL WAS rushed?
I always thought King said that's why production was so crappy.    Also, for you to say even the worst MF/KD albums are better than Priest and Maiden?  I'm sorry but not for me.  I love all of maiden and priests stuff...mostly.  and would much rather listen to that than the songs I don't like by MF/KD.
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Satan's Portrait

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
Lyric wise, maybe. The stories is deinately the least complex of what he has done, but on a whole, I love TSL. There's not one filler song on there (yeah, I even like Six Feet Under :)).

I love Maiden just as much as most people here, and forgive me for saying this...but even by average standards, The X Factor just doesn't cut it for me. Virtual XI was a bit better because of songs like Futureal and The Clansman.

I guess personally for me, even King's "weaker" albums flow more smoothly all together. For instance, I don't hate Ram It Down from Priest, or even Demolition, but with albums like that, I end up nit-picking certain songs only.

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
isnt it a fact that TSL WAS rushed?
I always thought King said that's why production was so crappy.    Also, for you to say even the worst MF/KD albums are better than Priest and Maiden?  I'm sorry but not for me.  I love all of maiden and priests stuff...mostly.  and would much rather listen to that than the songs I don't like by MF/KD.

I agree again. :D

Offline Akillica

• Lady In Black
@satans portrait. Hell ya! Right on! You took the words right out of my mouth! \m/ :cool: :king: