Author Topic: Mikkey Dee Interview About Leaveing King Diamond  (Read 26855 times)

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
Mikkey Dee Interview About Leaveing King Diamond
« on: October 05, 2006, 03:44:16 pm »
I saw This interview Posted on the Diamondbangers Fourm....i thought it was an excellent interview check it out....i dont have the original source page....just the copy and pasted intervewi....i will put it in a quote

MS: What bands were you in before you joined King Diamond?

MD: I played in a band called Geisha, that's why I moved to Copenhagen. It was me and Pete Blakk actually. Before Geisha it was a Swedish band called Nadir and we toured a lot, but that was more West Coast pop rock like typical Swedish like Snowstorm, very Swedish y'know, Swedish lyrics. It was great, we played every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday every fucking week for like three or four years, we had our own tour bus, we owned our own lights and P.A., we did great in the Swedish folk? parks.

MS: Only Sweden?

MD: Only Sweden, we never played anywhere outside Sweden. It was usually folk parks and small clubs.

MS: How did you actually join King Diamond? Did King hear what you and Pete did?

MD: Yeah, well actually it was because me and Pete were out partying all the time in Denmark and I hung out with Michael Denner and Timi Hansen a lot and then King heard about my drumming and I remember when King still had Mercyful Fate he told me he said "This is secret but I'm going to break up the band, but not now, later" because they were going to do a US tour or something "and I'm going to ask Timi and Michael to join the band, MY band" he said "Are you interested? You can bring Pete back if you want." I asked Pete I said we should join King, or try and see how it goes, and he said "No" and I said "Yes" and later I called Pete again and he joined the band, that's how I got into it and I played with King and everything sounded really cool, I liked it. I didn't like what he was about, but I liked the music a lot, it was a challenge for me, really.

MS: I heard that you were recently asked to play on the "Abigail II" album but there was something like he wanted you to be a full-time member.

MD: Yeah, exactly. In the end he said "I need a drummer that can stay with the band." I totally understand and respect that. But to be honest with you, if I would have played Michael Denner would have come too. So if I was King I would have taken that chance because he needs that help now, he's not doing too good.

MS: I heard that he's selling records now.

MD: Michael Denner? Yeah he's got his own record store, he's had that for years, but King Diamond needs that help if he could, I'd say. Because if me, Andy, Hal Patino and Michael Denner and King had got together that would have been an incredible album, I think. A lot of old fans would have seen that as a "fan thing" even if I couldn't stay with the band. It might have been a shit album, but it would have been a fun album for the fans to buy and I would have done everything in my power to play my ass off in that type of music.

MS: He's doing a new album he's already written all the songs it's called "Puppet Master".

MD: I don't know.

MS: So why did you break with King in the first place?

MD: It's really a long story, but I'll do it as short as I can. If you understand that we were a bunch of friends we were buddies in Denmark even if we didn't have a band we would be together all the time. We had so much fun. At that time it was an underground band it's very important to note that. Mercyful Fate and King Diamond was an underground band. But in '86 and '87 we kind of broke loose from that in the U.S. we became so big. We had no idea how big we were, not 'til later did I realize how fucking big we were with King Diamond, until I came back with Dokken and Motörhead. We would play Aragon Ballroom in Chicago, we play one night with Motörhead now, maybe one night. We would do three nights then with King Diamond, sold out 6,000 people every night, 18,000 people in one weekend, we came to New York we did two nights at L'Amour in Brooklyn, we went to The Ritz and did two nights over the bridge, and then Coney Island we did two nights, I mean, it was incredible! Every night sold out. We had different types of fans, the ones that came and saw only King -- it was a small bunch -- and then you had the chicks, the band, we pulled girls. We had our fuckin' hair, just… Everything. Then the crap started coming out. There was lot's of interviews of King Diamond in magazines where was just pictures of him and no pictures from a band at all. He was the only one who was interviewed and all the statements came from him. It was all his decision cause he was a star and wanted rest of us to be quiet. I just didn't like that too much and I tried to speak with him but nothing changed. I mean, in the beginning we were a band!! Not just bunch of background musicians backing for him. So I just left. That was a hard decision then but I did it. The crap did not stop then. I did read some magazines where King and record company said: "Mikkey Dee was actually relieved of his services with King Diamond because he wanted too much money, blahblahblah" and I go "Monty, you fucking asshole, this is Mikkey at Kent, I didn't get fired I left, you bastard, I'm gonna sue you," you know. So they were making lies about it, and then when I joined Dokken, King called me up 'cause then he's been spreading the word about me, he did all the magazines and I did nothing, and now it was my turn to be in the press, people were fucking chasing me, "oh Mikkey, you're in Dokken." And I just said to King on the phone, I said, "Success is the best revenge, you Danish motherfucker" slammed down the phone, and that's it. And in the process, I said only good things, I said "I hope King is going to be doing great, and good luck, and Andy and Pete… they're all my friends, and King is a fucking prick but I wish him good luck." And now we're friends again, I mean, this is a long time ago but… I remember that's how it was, I was unhappy. And the same thing goes for Dokken and Motörhead, if I'm not happy in a band I will leave.

http://www.musicstreetjournal.com/motorheadinterview.htm

Music Street Journal: Do you keep in touch with the guys you used to play with in Dokken and King Diamond?

Mikkey Dee: Oh yeah, yeah! I spoke to Don Dokken last night. Andy (LaRocque, King Diamond guitarist-ed.) lives in Sweden in Gothenburg, the same town where I live, so we hang out all the time. Every weekend we have a drink together. I spoke to Timi Hansen and Michael Denner (former Mercyful Fate members--ed) in Copenhagen, Denmark not too long ago. King Diamond, I haven't spoken with since last summer. I keep in touch with all of them. We're friends, we're family, y'know! horn

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
Re: Mikkey Dee Interview About Leaveing King Diamond
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 03:55:47 pm »
Cheers for posting that, Tuwin. I didn't realise Mikkey Dee had such a big falling out with King when Mikkey Dee left the band.
-Goat

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 11:51:48 am »
Can you guess who copy-pasted it from the old CWW-forum to Diamondbangers (from his own topic)?...  :cool:

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 03:25:32 pm »
hummm....jesus?!?!  :gah:

Offline Penumbra

• The mother of postwhores!
    • My music
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 03:28:16 pm »

Jesus surfs at the old CWW forum O_O

Nobody told him about this one, right? :gah:

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 12:19:48 am »
*That's right dude. lol*

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 12:48:40 am »
lol i love that picture

Offline Patrick S Oneil

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 03:41:06 am »
Arrgh! If that's true then I am a little bit pissed that both sides could not come together. Dee, Denner, Diamond, Hanson, and LaRoque...  When those guys play together, it's magic. I feel 100% correct in saying that a lot of fans would be running out to buy such a recording.

Too bad they could not work something out, somehow.  I see that this interview was before Puppet Master, so perhaps something could still be worked out on a future release. Maybe when Mikki has a break from his Motorhead schedule?

I would love it if that original group got together to at least record an album, even if they could not tour together. It would be really sweet if they could also leverage that into getting back into the same studio with the same team of engineers as when they recorded the original 'Abigail'. IMO, the quality of that recording has never been matched by another KD album. Conspiracy would rank second in that respect, again strictly IMO.  :king:

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 12:07:26 pm »
i think it would be awsome no doubt! but i for one would miss the touch of Mike Wead to much....he is to cool and to good to not have his part in King Diamond you know?

though i agree that line up with mikkey dee would slay

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 01:08:56 am »
But Motörhead's been better than ever, since Mikkey joined in. :cool:

Offline Patrick S Oneil

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 04:40:20 am »
I think that Mikki isn't challenged in Motorhead as much as he was in KD, and can't show as much range. But we both agree that whoever Mikki plays with are better for it.  :)

That original KD line-up was a supergroup. They really should try to get something going again for the sake of great music.

It's something I have wanted to see happen for years.   :king:

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 02:37:07 pm »
Well, I dunno.. I mean it's natural for people to feel nostalgic for what is considered to be a band's 'classic line-up' but there are some damn strong KD albums of the late 90's and 00's with a different line-up, I think it's kind of offensive to the current line-up to suggest that they should be kicked out and replaced with the previous members.

Or maybe King Diamond could do what Iron Maiden did when Adrian Smith rejoined, and instead of replacing a guitarist they kept Adrian, Dave Murray AND Janick Gers all doing guitars..!
-Goat

Offline Patrick S Oneil

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 04:06:50 pm »
Absolutely they could have 3 guitarists. Much of the time on the recordings, they have two guitar harmony leads, and then a rythem guitar behind that, so they could re-create that effect live as Maiden do.

Good call Hellborn!  :king:

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 04:58:49 pm »
Cheers mate!  :king:
-Goat

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 03:38:12 am »
Well, I dunno.. I mean it's natural for people to feel nostalgic for what is considered to be a band's 'classic line-up' but there are some damn strong KD albums of the late 90's and 00's with a different line-up, I think it's kind of offensive to the current line-up to suggest that they should be kicked out and replaced with the previous members.

Or maybe King Diamond could do what Iron Maiden did when Adrian Smith rejoined, and instead of replacing a guitarist they kept Adrian, Dave Murray AND Janick Gers all doing guitars..!
Whoever said that Matt and Mike should be kicked out...? :fingers:

Offline Bloodfreak

• Lady In Black
  • THRASH ATTACK
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 08:48:23 am »
One thing I don´t understand: Mikkey was hired as a session drummer in the studio to record the Conspiracy album! Why did he do that after the split? When I´m pissed with someone I won´t come back to do something good to him!!!
Another thing is: Ok, King Diamond was interviewed about the albums and stuff and not the band! But it´s called King Diamond not King Diamond and band....I think this little aspect is important. It´s King Diamond´s solo career not Mercyful Fate or something...I can understand that Mikkey didn´t want that - I think it´s very frustrating for a good musician to sit quietly in the corner and don´t talk! I also can understand that it´s not a good band behaviour for all members that only the vocalist would do interviews (ok, Andy did also a few).

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 12:49:34 pm »
I've allways concidered King Diamond as a band, not as a solo artist 'King and the boys'.

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 04:25:38 pm »
I've allways concidered King Diamond as a band, not as a solo artist 'King and the boys'.

From his interviews i think King Feels the same way....it is a BAND....

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2006, 01:23:22 pm »
Arrgh! If that's true then I am a little bit pissed that both sides could not come together. Dee, Denner, Diamond, Hanson, and LaRoque...  When those guys play together, it's magic. I feel 100% correct in saying that a lot of fans would be running out to buy such a recording.

Too bad they could not work something out, somehow.  I see that this interview was before Puppet Master, so perhaps something could still be worked out on a future release. Maybe when Mikki has a break from his Motorhead schedule?

I would love it if that original group got together to at least record an album, even if they could not tour together. It would be really sweet if they could also leverage that into getting back into the same studio with the same team of engineers as when they recorded the original 'Abigail'. IMO, the quality of that recording has never been matched by another KD album. Conspiracy would rank second in that respect, again strictly IMO.  :king:

I agree, but I am still waiting for another "them" and I dont think its going to happen. Dont get me wrong king has a ton of good albums but IMO he still needs a good drummer. ( like Mikkey Dee )
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:37:02 pm by Maiden Jersey »

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006, 02:36:49 pm »

i agree..yes i do.

Offline dali

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2006, 02:02:24 pm »
And it would be very nice if drum triggering or drum replacing would stop. After Conspiracy, every album has a plastic unnatural sound, due to drum samples.  What about miking a real drumkit in a good acoustic studio room?

Br,
Dali

Offline Patrick S Oneil

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2006, 05:37:45 pm »
I think That Abigail, Conspiracy, and Fatal Portrait are by far the best quality recordings of the whole KD catalog (The Eye remaster was decent though). The mixing/mastering quality of the later stuff took quite a drop IMO. But that's a different subject.

Dali, I heard through the grapevine that you finally got your Metaltronics head. Let me know how it sounds when you get it up and running.   :king:

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2006, 05:50:28 pm »
This made me laugh.

And in the process, I said only good things, I said "I hope King is going to be doing great, and good luck, and Andy and Pete… they're all my friends, and King is a fucking prick but I wish him good luck."

Wilmar

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 05:00:31 am »
Maybe things would change if King Diamond would consider recording back in Denmark again with Roberto Falcao at the helm. That might bring back some of the older sound :-)

Offline megalodonbite

• Voodoo Priest
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 06:39:15 am »
I remember reading this article before.  Its the first time Mikkey really admits the reasoning behind what happened. 

every thing that has nipples