Author Topic: A few questions about the new album  (Read 7614 times)

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
A few questions about the new album
« on: January 31, 2007, 06:55:53 PM »
Maybe somebody on here knows. Are they going to record live and then go back an do guitar overdubs ( for the solos etc...) and the vocals or do they just do the drums first with scratch tracks?( I think I may have read that they do it this way ,not sure though) MF /King Diamond stuff always had that raw edge and thats what made me wonder on how they record. How many of you on here think that the new album is going to be one of Kings hardest sounding albums?  Sure there is the pre album hype but I dont know I think this one is going to be heavy as fuck.

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
Re: A few questions about the new album
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 09:42:09 PM »
I hope there are some sound effects. Thats always one of my favorite parts of any King or MF release.

The teapot breaking in Bye Bye Missy. The altar moving in Passage to Hell. The birds chirping in Buried Alive. Ahh.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline TheUnnamedOne

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 01:20:44 AM »
I've read in the Abigail booklet (in the remastered RR-anniversery CD) that they started to record the drums with Andy playing scratch guitar etc. But I don't know if they do it now

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 04:47:17 AM »
it was long ago and they did'nt even use a methonome.

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:31:40 AM »
I dont expect the new album to be harder or heavier than any previous one.
Usually it seems like a metal groups heaviest stuff is always their earlier stuff.
But Im sure it will be good though.

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 11:23:22 AM »
I dont expect the new album to be harder or heavier than any previous one.
Usually it seems like a metal groups heaviest stuff is always their earlier stuff.
But Im sure it will be good though.

I would have to disagree with that, I think its the other way around, but thats just what I think.Both of us could be right :D

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 11:46:21 AM »
It depends how you look at it and how you define heaviness - by the production and guitar sound, or riff style, or atmosphere, etc.? The Puppet Master could be said to lack some heaviness, as some of it seems more in line with the "happy 'power' metal style" (for instance, the chorus of 'Magic'). However, I think an album like Voodoo is heavier than some of the 80's material.
-Goat

Offline TheUnnamedOne

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »
it was long ago and they did'nt even use a methonome.

Yeah, that's what I like about it so much, it got a lot more of a live-feel in it, even if they didn't record everything at once. I think that every band who's recording should try to use a metronom as little as possible.

Offline grr

• Lady In Black
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 02:08:59 PM »
To talk about King I think he's first albums were more "classic melodic heavy metal"-stuff and on the later years more technical and darker... You know what I mean? ;)
King Diamond and Mercyful Fate Fanclub Sweden

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 07:35:17 PM »
To talk about King I think he's first albums were more "classic melodic heavy metal"-stuff and on the later years more technical and darker... You know what I mean? ;)
Yes, I agree with this.

But I now question myself as to whether I am using the right definition for "heaviness".
To me heaviness has always been: fast music, aggression, atmosphere, and then I guess sound effects, like guitar distortion, ect.
But what really defines heavy music? Is there an actual definition of it, or is it just one's own perception?

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 04:44:51 PM »
Yes, I agree with this.

But I now question myself as to whether I am using the right definition for "heaviness".
To me heaviness has always been: fast music, aggression, atmosphere, and then I guess sound effects, like guitar distortion, ect.
But what really defines heavy music? Is there an actual definition of it, or is it just one's own perception?

I agree whith what you said about "heaviness", but then at the same time you can have a slow clean sounding song but the lyrics can be heavy. So what I was originally trying to say was that I think the new album will be very aggressive.

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 08:21:24 PM »
I've always thought that The Eye was one of King's heaviest, with those crunchy riffs in The Eye of the Witch and Curse of the Eye.

By the way, what is a metronome? I thought that was one of those things psychiatrists set on their desk to hypnotize people.

Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 02:24:36 AM »
In the Urban Dictionary some definitions of heavy are:
- something is really good.
- when something is unbeliveable, out of the ordinary
- when something is good, excellent, brilliant

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 02:49:05 AM »
I've always thought that The Eye was one of King's heaviest, with those crunchy riffs in The Eye of the Witch and Curse of the Eye.

By the way, what is a metronome? I thought that was one of those things psychiatrists set on their desk to hypnotize people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metronome
In the Urban Dictionary some definitions of heavy are:
- something is really good.
- when something is unbeliveable, out of the ordinary
- when something is good, excellent, brilliant
They forgot the obvious one: When something weights a lot. :gah:

Offline Bones_xa

• Charon
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2007, 12:04:34 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MetronomeThey forgot the obvious one: When something weights a lot. :gah:
Well, that was there too, there were actually 5 pages long of different definitions for heavy. I skimmed through them all, and the only ones I found that seemd to be related to metal were those that I listed above.