Author Topic: House of God: Definitively the KD album I like the less.  (Read 9319 times)

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
House of God: Definitively the KD album I like the less.
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:15:58 am »
I gave "House of God" a couple of spins lately. This felt like a fresh listening, as I hadn't listened to it completely for a long time.

Well, definitively HOG is the KD album I like the less. The story is great and there's some sick playing there; but besides "The Tree Have Eyes" I don't seem to like the music that much. This is weird, because I'm into thrash and this album is full of thrashy riffs. However, while I cannot say I dislike HOG, it still is to me the weakest (or should I say "the less strong"?) KD album.

Anyone having the same feelings? Any thoughts?

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
Re: House of God: Definitively the KD album I like the less.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:25:58 am »
I personally feel that The Graveyard nad maybe TSL are "worse". HOG has for me some great and catchy songs, like The Trees have Eyes, Black Devil, Help!, Justa a Shadow. Plus Piece of Mind rivals Insanity from The Eye as KDs best instrumental. But there are some weak points here which makes me not too fond of it. But not bad, by any degree of course.
Like, whatever.

Offline SuomiPiru85

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:47:56 am »
Wow, interesting point of view. For me, House of God is the best KD album  :P I can't see how the Graveyard, Abigail II or Gmysp could be but before it but you can't argue with someones taste  :)

Offline Jack Glass

• Haunted
  • King Diamond & Hell, best two metal acts ever.
    • Hellman-666 Forum
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 12:32:52 pm »
Wow, interesting point of view. For me, House of God is the best KD album  :P I can't see how the Graveyard, Abigail II or Gmysp could be but before it but you can't argue with someones taste  :)

Agree 100%...one of his better albums from the last decade, along with Voodoo, both are better than Graveyard, Abigail II & Gmysp

Offline HeadOnTheWall777

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 12:34:47 pm »
I love House Of God, although there are a few things I wish would have been changed. But it is a really good album in my opinion. If I I to pick a King Diamond album that I personally feel weren't as good are "Give Me Your Soul...Please" and "The Graveyard." Each one has there songs, but I do prefer House Of God over the both. But to each his own :)

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:43:50 pm »
Yes, I like so much HOG more than the TPM and GYSP,
HOG AND ABIGAIL II are the last real king Diamond Albums old style, maybe we need to hear more songs of these albums in live

BAMT

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 03:15:30 pm »
I totally agree. It is the only album I could never really get into. Only a couple of songs I like. I listen to a King Diamond album probably every 2 or 3 days and haven't spun HoG in probably 3 years.

On the other hand, The Graveyard seems to be a lot of people's least favorite, but it is one of my favorites.  :gah:

And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline Hammerheart

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 03:16:36 pm »
I gave "House of God" a couple of spins lately. This felt like a fresh listening, as I hadn't listened to it completely for a long time.

Well, definitively HOG is the KD album I like the less. The story is great and there's some sick playing there; but besides "The Tree Have Eyes" I don't seem to like the music that much. This is weird, because I'm into thrash and this album is full of thrashy riffs. However, while I cannot say I dislike HOG, it still is to me the weakest (or should I say "the less strong"?) KD album.

Even worse than GMYSP? What about the song "Just a Shadow"?!!

Offline fathermalone

• Holy Shrine
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 04:57:49 pm »
Even worse than GMYSP? What about the song "Just a Shadow"?!!

I agree, that song is AMAZING. House Of God is filled with great songs. I think it just takes a while to get in to them since the songs are quite complex.  :cool:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:06:47 pm by fathermalone »

Offline fatekingfate

• Salem
    • Bloody Face (official band website)
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 05:53:47 pm »
I rate hog music a 9.5 out of 10 and i rate the hog story a 7.5 out of 10. Good album! :)

Offline ...To the Morgue.

• Lurker From The Dark
    • https://www.facebook.com/dooms666day
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 06:38:21 pm »
I also think this album is one of the weakest K.D. album along the Graveyard…Once again don't misinterpret I STILL LIKE the album :  The story is great, the cover art is also great (It's one of my tattoos)  there's also some killer songs but this album sound a bit lifeless. 

John Luke Hebert drumming sounded uninspired compared to Voodoo.  The guitars works is great as always but the rest of the album production and overall feeling sound a bit generic. 

I've already talked about King overacting his character in The Graveyard, but this time he overuses the falsetto when it's time to do some tragic parts. 

The end of “This place is terrible”, the chorus in “Help” and the “angel where are you now” part from the title tracks “HOG” are good example of what I'm talking about.  It shut down the dramatic effect and gives this cartoon flavor to the story which I dislike.

I don't think falsetto do a great job when it come to act a character or to show an emotion.  Just imagine “Help” with a more aggressive and natural distress in the voice and the song is twice better IMO. 

It's funny to see that most people who like Graveyard and HOG don't like Puppet Master and GMYS.   Maybe we can argue about musicianship, production and stories or both albums but I really think that King's vocal performance on the last two releases are better than ever.  His voices have a warm, sinister, aggressive tone and
sound lot more natural or should I say real to my ears. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:02:39 pm by ...To the Morgue. »

Offline HeadOnTheWall777

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 08:14:23 pm »
What really got me into House Of God is that not only is the music awesome, but the whole story has many factual information in it and if you care to look it up, it really is a great read. :king:

Offline ELi Misery

• Spirit
    • The Howlers
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 02:05:08 am »
Thats crazy, to me House Of God has always been one of my favorite KD albums and Story...Id have to say GMYSP and The Puppet Master are my least favorites though i still like them and love everything King does  :D

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 06:35:14 am »
House Of God, Spider's and Abby 2 are the only albums I don't listen to anymore. The rest are either perfect or only slightly flawed. :D
Paulcoz.

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 11:17:40 am »
The one thing I dont like about HoG is the drums.  John Herbert looked bored as hell when I saw them on this tour and he sure played like he was bored as hell on this album.  Everything else is AMAZING.

Offline Jack Glass

• Haunted
  • King Diamond & Hell, best two metal acts ever.
    • Hellman-666 Forum
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 11:40:47 am »
The one thing I dont like about HoG is the drums.  John Herbert looked bored as hell when I saw them on this tour and he sure played like he was bored as hell on this album.  Everything else is AMAZING.

Maybe King has more of a say as to what he expects the drums to be like, which is maybe one of the reasons we don't get to hear what Matt can really do. Both are fine drummers, but it's ultimately King's band. Unfortunately Dee has never been replaced properly, he was the only KD drummer IMHO who really sparked life into the music, most of the drummers since him seem to go through the motions and not really produce anything as outstanding or original, although technically they can play anything Dee did, they don't seem to have the same unique inspiration that Mikkey did.

Offline SuomiPiru85

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 12:16:31 pm »
I think the drumming fits the album just perfectly. I don't think House of God is musically so complicated so the more basic approach to drumming fits the album like a glove.  :)  Can't say about how Luke Herbert did in tour cause I've never seen any material of him playing live with KD.  :D

Offline SUSSY

• The mother of postwhores!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 05:15:58 pm »
I´m listening to House Of God now. In my opinion it is a great album. "The trees have eyes" is a great song, but " just a shadow" , "house of god", "black devil", "goodbye"(one of my favorites), "catacomb", "this place is terrible"......summing up: I love all of them. I think the whole album is a masterpiece  :).I respect for other people´s opinion , but I don´t understand why you don´t like HOG as much as the others, zorrow.  :(- Maybe you should listen to it again. Give it an oportunity, HOG is an amazing album.  :)  :king:
See you in Hell.

Offline ACJimbo

• Holy Shrine
  • South Of Heaven
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 03:45:24 pm »
I quite like it, some riffs are really catchy but I agree that King's vocals are not his finest hour
You Carry The Will
As The Morning Is Near

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »
The only thing HOG lacks is a great KD laugh.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline SUSSY

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2009, 04:28:07 pm »
The only thing HOG lacks is a great KD laugh.
That is true   :D  :king:
See you in Hell.

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 03:31:42 am »
All I can say is that I also got the remastered Voodoo and I'm liking it like never before.

On the other hand, I'm sorry, but HOG still is one of the albums from King (KD and MF confounded) whose music I don't enjoy that much. It's of course a good album, but I like the others better. It's a matter of taste, I guess... --or maybe I'm just not a fan of Glen Drover's playing, who technically is a great guitarist, but lacks personality, IMHO.

Offline SUSSY

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 05:41:55 am »
^No matter, It´s a very interesting point of view  :). There´s no accounting for tastes.  :)   :king:
See you in Hell.

Offline Zombie

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • Those now eating, will soon be eaten.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 08:15:06 am »

Same here, but i would also include "Abigail Part 2: The Revenge"
29.4.2006 Pakkahuone -Tampere-Finland
28.6.2013 Tuska Open Air -Helsinki-Finland

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 11:27:51 am »
Just came back from Best Buy. There were two copies of the remastered HoG. Had to pass it up. Had X-mas priorities. Getting me presents wasn't on the list...

:'(
Resistance is inadvisable...