Author Topic: King Diamond and Cathedral feud from 90s  (Read 10323 times)

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
King Diamond and Cathedral feud from 90s
« on: February 24, 2010, 11:21:37 pm »
I heard about this oddly from a Judas Priest book I glanced at in Border's and found this on the net.  From Tartarean Desire:http://www.tartareandesire.com/bands/Cathedral/307/
By this time Cathedral began to discover the woes of big recording labels. Columbia wanted the band to tour hard, despite the band questioning the labels choice of tour, the band succumb to their demands and opened up on a long tour with Merciful Fate and Flotsam & Jetsam. This tour led to strains within band personnel and they weren't exactly happy with touring conditions. After several incidents, Cathedral were asked to leave the tour. Apparently Dorrian had announced that he thought King Diamond was a 'pussy' at one of the few shows that Cathedral managed to play where Fate had pulled out of.

Word got back to King who had demanded an apology from Dorrian, who flatly refused. The band left the tour in Florida and by this time they were more than happy to do so. Adam Lehan had decided that he was gonna quit the band during the Fate tour, for personal, musical and medical reasons, but fulfilled the obligation of touring the States a couple of months later with Rob Halfords Fight.

Anybody know anything more about this?

I always kinda liked Cathedral but didn't think they were anything too special.  If this is true, then fuck them.

Offline HeadOnTheWall777

• The King Of Diamonds
Re: King Diamond and Cathedral feud from 90s
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:04:34 am »
I've never heard of this before. I like Cathedral, but not nearly as much as I LOVE King Diamond and Mercyful Fate :king:. I am surprised someone could possibly say something so out of line to King. King seems like a kick ass person to tour and hang out with and if this is true, Lee Dorrian has lost my respect. I will still listen to Cathedral, but that will always stick in the back of my mind...

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 07:31:34 am »
didn't know that, and don't care really!  :D
It was a great tour. I love when opening bands are worth seeing. Double or Triple value in this case! for the same ticket price!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline TheUnborn

• Haunted
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 08:50:48 am »
Yeah I've heard of this before. The tour didn't go well for Cathedral at all, and I guess
Dorrian was just fed up with it all and let it out on King who probably couldn't play that
night because of trouble with his voice maybe, not sure. Anyway, it was a bad move on
Dorrian's behalf.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:51:30 am by TheUnborn »

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 11:51:59 am »
On October 31st, 1993, or right around it, that line-up was to have played at the New Orleans Music Hall. When my wife, who was my steady at the time, arrived, things did not look good. There was a murmur in the crowd that Mercyful Fate had pulled out. This after the King Diamond band couldn't make it to Margaritaville in '88 for the "Them" tour. And who do you think was opening up for the KD band back then? Flotsam and Jetsam. Yes, Flostsam & Jetsam who played to a very disappointed "Welcom Home" crowd. Back to '93: it was true. Both MF and F&J pulled out. Retroactive speculation leads to believe that the equipment at the venue was not up to standards for MF(I knew a few people who casually worked there). And F&J refused to substitute the original headliner, leaving Cathedral to perform. We were offered out money back. OR get half our money back and watch Cathedral. There was no decision to make. We took our money back and left immediately totally disappointed. But not defeated. I can't imagine there was many left for Cathedral and they probably just called it a night. Still, I'd love to know the real circumstances of the event...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:53:55 am by Huntsmænus »
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Cornloaf

• Lady In Black
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 12:54:21 pm »
Quick check on mfkdfaq.com and it looks like there was a show on October 17, 1993 at Music Hall. 

Similar thing happened on the Dead Again tour when the venue in Sacramento closed down and they moved to another club.   The place did not have a raised stage, no AC (it was 114F that day in Sacramento), improper lighting, substandard sound system, etc... The tour bus sat out in the parking lot for a couple hours while the crew checked out the club and then the engines started and it drove off.  They also offered refunds or you could see The Council and one other local band play their sets.

Offline MaliceReverence

• One Of "Them"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:16 pm »
if its true what Lee Dorrian said then i lost respect in him because i also liked cathedral.
In heaven, all the interesting people are missing.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline desecrator_of_soul

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
  • Oh Satan, I beseech thee to have mercy on my soul!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 11:33:49 am »
Cathedral are a bunch of dick-faces. This is not an opinion, this is a fact. Their music seems to be directed to Doom Metal-Heads that have not yet learned shit about the genre.
And the fact that they have the balls to speak about a deity in such a way only validates the fact that they are dick-faces.

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:39:58 pm »
Quick check on mfkdfaq.com and it looks like there was a show on October 17, 1993 at Music Hall. 

Similar thing happened on the Dead Again tour when the venue in Sacramento closed down and they moved to another club.   The place did not have a raised stage, no AC (it was 114F that day in Sacramento), improper lighting, substandard sound system, etc... The tour bus sat out in the parking lot for a couple hours while the crew checked out the club and then the engines started and it drove off.  They also offered refunds or you could see The Council and one other local band play their sets.

Occasionally this is true.  A club will book MF or KD claiming they have all of the specifications necessary, and on a couple occasions King and the crew showed up to find the venue was not at all suited for the type of show they need to perform or for their safety.  Imagine a broadway musical showing up to town to find the stage was 1/3rd the size and the sound system was hardly even cut out for a sunday church service. 

I think it was on King's last European tour they showed up to find the floor was covered in gravel.  Obviously not safe so they had to cancel.

I also must say that King will only pull out if absolutely necessary.  He performed in Iowa with Mercyful Fate back in 1998 and the club was small and must have just barely met the absolute minimal specifications but he still played a full set and kicked absolute ass. 

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 03:28:22 pm »
I think it was on King's last European tour they showed up to find the floor was covered in gravel.  Obviously not safe so they had to cancel.

Yikes! Gravel??!

I also must say that King will only pull out if absolutely necessary.  He performed in Iowa with Mercyful Fate back in 1998 and the club was small and must have just barely met the absolute minimal specifications but he still played a full set and kicked absolute ass.  

MF played @ Zeppelins in Fat City(Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans) in '99 in a very very small venue. I kept calling every hour before the event just to make sure they were showing up. And they did.

Woo-Hoo!

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 01:16:14 pm »
how is standing on gravel not safe?

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 01:23:59 pm »
Was it the stage?

Well, which would you rather fall down on while in a mosh pit or stage diving or skanking? A wood floor or gravel?

And was this gravel inside??

Offline Jack Glass

• Haunted
  • King Diamond & Hell, best two metal acts ever.
    • Hellman-666 Forum
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 02:24:17 pm »
Cathedral are a good band, these things happen when people are passionate about their music, tempers flair and harsh words are said; that's all part of band life, it's great on stage, but behind the scenes is very hard work and personalities clash all the time. Bands usually settle down when they get to their 40's, they have normally matured by then.

King is the man, the myth & the maveric \m/

Offline manager

• Band
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 06:18:13 pm »
Occasionally this is true.  A club will book MF or KD claiming they have all of the specifications necessary, and on a couple occasions King and the crew showed up to find the venue was not at all suited for the type of show they need to perform or for their safety.  Imagine a broadway musical showing up to town to find the stage was 1/3rd the size and the sound system was hardly even cut out for a sunday church service. 

I think it was on King's last European tour they showed up to find the floor was covered in gravel.  Obviously not safe so they had to cancel.

I also must say that King will only pull out if absolutely necessary.  He performed in Iowa with Mercyful Fate back in 1998 and the club was small and must have just barely met the absolute minimal specifications but he still played a full set and kicked absolute ass. 

Correct - it was Bratislava  :(
Ole Bang

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:51 am »

Drunk people and piles of rocks?  What *is* safe about that?

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 11:29:51 pm »
touche

Offline blakkheart

• Banshee
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »
You must respect the headliners.  You are opening for them and it was totally unprofessional.  I see it all the time where you have a nobody who walks in and expects everyone to kiss his ass.  Not gonna happen.  Go home wipe the snot off your nose and change your diaper and when you grow up then you can come talk to me.  :fingers: \m/ :king:

Offline desecrator_of_soul

• Ammit, Eater of the Dead
  • Oh Satan, I beseech thee to have mercy on my soul!
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 07:44:03 pm »

They're little rocks with minds and wills of their own!

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 06:21:57 am »
People could start picking up the rocks and throwing them everywhere. Inflicting damage on the audience and band and also destroy valuable technical equipment...

Offline fatekingfate

• Salem
    • Bloody Face (official band website)
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:04 pm »
To this day i have never listened to a cathedral album. I dont know what happened, but all i know is that king is a cool guy and mf kd are amazing. :)

Offline blakkheart

• Banshee
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 07:11:28 pm »
No Cathedral for me either.  :fingers:

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 06:16:05 am »
Well, I was never into Cathedral before or after 1993...

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2015, 04:24:05 pm »
I'd thought I'd bump this topic back up after reading the article SatanKing posted.

Didn't Cathedral get thanked in the liner notes of the Time album?  :read:

How was Cathedral able to preform New Orleans but not MF? Sounds like Lee Dorrian was being way out of line. I still like Cathedral's music though...you always have to separate the artist from the art.

I know KD and MF have specifications and expectations but I hope they realize that we fans would love to see them even if they played at an old barn or so someone's living room.  \m/  :king:
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 06:04:00 pm »
If I ever were to open for a band like KD (or maybe a huge band that I didn't care for as it seems Cathedral did) I would never ever be disrespecful! You are playing a damn show, if you ask me you owe the headliner at least a huge fucking cake made out of respect! If you have a problem with the band headlining then why the fuck even tour?

Offline johnnieczech

• Gypsy
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 02:51:53 am »
I read an interview with Hank Sherman years ago. He was asked about this and all he said was "We and Cathedral didn't really got along on that tour".