Author Topic: What King thinks about...  (Read 6905 times)

Offline Aeon666

• The mother of postwhores!
  • I´m still missing you Dad... I haven´t forget you!
What King thinks about...
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »
Since we can't ask king anything... somebody knows what he thinks about Tribute bands?... I mean, I guess si has seen something on you tube... What did you think he makes when is watching guys from around the world dressiing and acting like him and playing his songs?

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
Re: What King thinks about...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 01:41:15 am »
I think most musicians is kinda amused by it. They have fans that are playing their songs and doing exacly what they have done, but of course in a cheaper version. I would at least feel honored that anyone would love my songs enough to make a whole tribute band, then it doesn't really matter weather they suck balls or they are great musicians. Tribute bands can be really really great if you ask me.

However i have yet to go to a KD Tribute show :P

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm sure any act that inspires tribute bands of itself must feel very honored to know they are as iconic as that. From the clip of The Coven that I saw, that looks like a very sincere and serious attempt to capture that rare magic that you can only get at a King Diamond show.
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 09:27:02 am »
He probably thinks that they are cool. On a personal note I cant stand cover or tribute bands because I feel musicians should be creating music and not doing something that has been done and released but that is just me. Why spend all your time playing covers (unless its your only form of income) when you could be making your own music , I just dont get it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:28:07 am by Maiden Jersey »

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • $xDxR
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:16:50 am »
I think most musicians is kinda amused by it. They have fans that are playing their songs and doing exacly what they have done, but of course in a cheaper version. I would at least feel honored that anyone would love my songs enough to make a whole tribute band, then it doesn't really matter weather they suck balls or they are great musicians. Tribute bands can be really really great if you ask me.

word

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 10:41:33 am »
....I feel musicians should be creating music and not doing something that has been done and released but that is just me. Why spend all your time playing covers (unless its your only form of income) when you could be making your own music , I just dont get it.
I feel very much the same way. if I'm going to play a cover (and we do....Blood For Master plays a cover of Pentagram's Sign Of The Wolf) I like to play a more powerful version of it, not simply recreate the original. to dedicate your entire musical identity to someone else's material, as good as that material may be, just feels like a waste of time to me.
Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store....

- Ash, housewares

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:58:09 pm »
I feel very much the same way. if I'm going to play a cover (and we do....Blood For Master plays a cover of Pentagram's Sign Of The Wolf) I like to play a more powerful version of it, not simply recreate the original. to dedicate your entire musical identity to someone else's material, as good as that material may be, just feels like a waste of time to me.

Exactly Az if you are gonna do a cover make it your own make it heavier, softer, put your own take on it etc...

Offline Aeon666

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »
I´m in a black metal band too... that´s were we create our ouw music... the idea of THE COVEN emerge just because we all take King Diamond as a big influence...

There are some songs of us in you tube... would be great if you can check it... search for Alastor Sanguinry Embryo.

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:19:45 pm »
I´m in a black metal band too... that´s were we create our ouw music... the idea of THE COVEN emerge just because we all take King Diamond as a big influence...

There are some songs of us in you tube... would be great if you can check it... search for Alastor Sanguinry Embryo.

Not exactly my cup of tea  :D  but its good that you do something other than a KD cover band.  :)

Offline Aeon666

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:11:14 pm »
Not exactly my cup of tea  :D  but its good that you do something other than a KD cover band.  :)

Well I've always liked black and Thrash metal... I think death metal is good but not my cup of tea!!!  :D

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • $xDxR
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 11:33:11 am »

this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTcl9ObU-BM

great song!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »

I get it. I would do it. It's not about creating your own music. You can't really judge it on the same artistic scale. It's like debating good and bad. a reglous person is going to rate those along the scale of good and evil while someone who doesn't believe in a god is going to be rating good and bad on a whole different scale.

Of course if your puting in on the same scale as the top being expressing your own artistic musical voice it's going to look weak but if you look at it from the view of guys who want to have some fun and play some tunes that they love, grown up with, music that has changed there lives then in one view i find more respect for these guys and they are completing the goal set out while other bands and struggling to get there music heard.

It's all a matter of how you look at it. The world isn't filled with small things and tall things. Those only exist once you start comparing, judging, and competing.

Some people might say a computer mouse is "small" but i say it's the perfect fit. It's all about how you look at it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:10:27 pm by Tuwin »

Offline Aeon666

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 04:32:16 pm »
this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTcl9ObU-BM

great song!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

Yes... that's us!!!! Black metal from Central America....!!!!  :D

Offline Aeon666

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 08:22:14 pm »
From the clip of The Coven that I saw, that looks like a very sincere and serious attempt to capture that rare magic that you can only get at a King Diamond show.
thanks a lot for your comments dude... We really appreciate it!

Offline demetman

• Mandrake
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 01:57:23 pm »
I get it. I would do it. It's not about creating your own music. You can't really judge it on the same artistic scale. It's like debating good and bad. a reglous person is going to rate those along the scale of good and evil while someone who doesn't believe in a god is going to be rating good and bad on a whole different scale.

Of course if your puting in on the same scale as the top being expressing your own artistic musical voice it's going to look weak but if you look at it from the view of guys who want to have some fun and play some tunes that they love, grown up with, music that has changed there lives then in one view i find more respect for these guys and they are completing the goal set out while other bands and struggling to get there music heard.

It's all a matter of how you look at it. The world isn't filled with small things and tall things. Those only exist once you start comparing, judging, and competing.

Some people might say a computer mouse is "small" but i say it's the perfect fit. It's all about how you look at it.
Tuwin, I couldn't agree with you more man! I have great respect for musicians who take the time to show homage to their idols, especially when they do it well. Zappa Plays Zappa is a perfect example of this.

Offline Aeon666

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:17 pm »
I want to share with you this video of us playing sleepless nights... it's a very humble version as the sound is not the best... but I think is enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNOF4DHXl0M

Let me know your comments.. we really appreciate it.

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:33 am »
I want to share with you this video of us playing sleepless nights... it's a very humble version as the sound is not the best... but I think is enjoyable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNOF4DHXl0M

Let me know your comments.. we really appreciate it.
\m/

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 01:36:03 pm »
Tuwin, I couldn't agree with you more man! I have great respect for musicians who take the time to show homage to their idols, especially when they do it well. Zappa Plays Zappa is a perfect example of this.

that's an excellent example...between that and what Tuwin posted, I can see what you guys are talking about. I tend to think that if I'm going to put in the effort, I want to put my own stuff out there. that doesn't mean that doing covers is a waste of effort, just a different approach to putting an act together. having been a Zappa fan myself for close to forty years, I am quite familiar with Zappa's entire catalogue, and I can just imagine how insanely difficult it must be to play that stuff.

the only reason I missed the most recent Zappa plays Zappa show was because it was the same night as my band's first show.

- Ash, housewares

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 04:13:35 pm »
that's an excellent example...between that and what Tuwin posted, I can see what you guys are talking about. I tend to think that if I'm going to put in the effort, I want to put my own stuff out there. that doesn't mean that doing covers is a waste of effort, just a different approach to putting an act together. having been a Zappa fan myself for close to forty years, I am quite familiar with Zappa's entire catalogue, and I can just imagine how insanely difficult it must be to play that stuff.

the only reason I missed the most recent Zappa plays Zappa show was because it was the same night as my band's first show.
You should have been the opener for Zappa plays Zappa :P

Offline Aeon666

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 08:41:04 pm »

I never have put real attention in Zappa's music... which album can you recommend me for a beginner????  :king:

Offline Azalin

• The King Of Diamonds
  • Blood For Master
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2010, 09:55:31 am »
dude...I would tremble in my boots if I had to play with Dweezil in the same building.  :-[ :-[ :-[
I never have put real attention in Zappa's music... which album can you recommend me for a beginner????  :king:
there are so many incredible Zappa albums, but for a good variety of musicianship, good songs, and humor I would recommend you listen to either Overnight Sensation or Apostrophe. both are from the mid-seventies, both are really funny, and both feature Frank as the main guitarist. if you check either one out, I would be interested to hear what you thought about it.

- Ash, housewares

Offline Aeon666

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2010, 11:29:29 am »
[there are so many incredible Zappa albums, but for a good variety of musicianship, good songs, and humor I would recommend you listen to either Overnight Sensation or Apostrophe. both are from the mid-seventies, both are really funny, and both feature Frank as the main guitarist. if you check either one out, I would be interested to hear what you thought about it.

Thanks for the Tip!!!! I´m gonna see where the hell can I find those albums!!!

Offline Jack Glass

• Haunted
  • King Diamond & Hell, best two metal acts ever.
    • Hellman-666 Forum
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »
He probably thinks that they are cool. On a personal note I cant stand cover or tribute bands because I feel musicians should be creating music and not doing something that has been done and released but that is just me. Why spend all your time playing covers (unless its your only form of income) when you could be making your own music , I just dont get it.

Agree 100%, cover bands over here in the UK are starving the original bands of good gig slots on Fridays/Saturdays ect because they usually bring in more people.

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 05:35:05 pm »
Zappa only had 100 or so really great albums. The rest were just mildy awesome. Check out Ship Arriving Too Late or We're Only In It For The Money/Lumpy Gravy for some real fun.

Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • $xDxR
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2010, 04:34:40 pm »
Yes... that's us!!!! Black metal from Central America....!!!!  :D

really fucking nice band!

good to see some GOOD black metal bands from south/central America..
most black metal bands are from europe or USA.