Author Topic: Skype with King  (Read 186302 times)

Offline Mike Steele

• Fatal Portrait
Re: Skype with King
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »
This is really impressive to come from an artist! Awesome initiative!

In short, there’s absolutely no downside to investing in the perception that you are a vibrant,
active artist with a storied career.   While I like the Skype idea, it will only be reaching out and
preaching to the choir.   If you’re going to do it (and I encourage you to), get your management
to announce it to all of the media outlets.  It’s a novel idea, attractive to a lot of fans that might not
read the official forum, and it will result in a lot of free and positive exposure.

Though I can´t help saying that there might still be something relevant in this... Personally I don´t care that much whether the whole world loves KD or not but I (as many others) feel there is some much potential in the band that could be used in a better way if a more active marketing strategy was used. But hell, what do I know about this??

Offline stefanbogi

• Gypsy
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 03:01:17 AM »
this is so nice idea King! Thanks a lot!
if sometimes you call me, please don't criticize me because of my bad English!
anyway I'll still have some questions for you!
hail!

Offline arrival

• Haunted
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 04:01:27 AM »
Ok King I downloaded Skype just for you.
And the shadows on the wall/ they really came alive

Offline arrival

• Haunted
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 04:11:58 AM »
Interesting and novel idea to interact with the fans.  Having created the original thread, I suppose I do
feel some need to clarify the genesis of my statements.  First and foremost, I speak as a fan (and a
quiet one at that).  Second, my frustration is not borne out of not being able to get an update or
buy a t-shirt.  Those are just symptoms of what I is at the root of the problem: a lack of
recognition.  Whether the lack of promotion is self-inflicted, or the creation of a cash-strapped
label, or some combination thereof is open to debate.  I know what’s going on because I comb
through this forum with some regularity. The kid that first heard your name at a Metallica
concert, however, is going to be almost completely lost.   He won’t get any news that hasn’t been
posted on Blabbermouth a week ago.  He won’t get any media samples .  He won’t get any lyrics.
He won’t get any interviews.   He won’t be able to buy a CD or t-shirt from your site.  The list
goes on.    There’s just no reason for that.  

Hopefully, my comments have been taken somewhat constructively.  A better, more professional,
more user friendly, more aesthetically pleasing, more updated website where the newcomer can
explore your career and music can NEVER be a bad thing and is worth investing in.  More
effective merchandising can NEVER be a bad thing.  It will make you money while
simultaneously giving the fans something they actually want.  Updates, posted on the official site
and sent to every media outlet that will publish them can NEVER be a bad thing.  

In short, there’s absolutely no downside to investing in the perception that you are a vibrant,
active artist with a storied career.   While I like the Skype idea, it will only be reaching out and
preaching to the choir.   If you’re going to do it (and I encourage you to), get your management
to announce it to all of the media outlets.  It’s a novel idea, attractive to a lot of fans that might not
read the official forum, and it will result in a lot of free and positive exposure.

Enough preaching, cls. Let the man be.

Offline milan

• Up From The Grave
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 06:36:37 AM »
O.k.,, King it is Great idea ,Thanks for you..... KING DIAMOND FANS FROM SLOVAKIA

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »
Who will be the first worthy enough to talk with King?

I have to admit, I might be a little starstruck if such a moment occurred. I'd probably pull a Chris Farley: "Wasn't that great when you did that album, Abigail?"
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2010, 07:04:31 AM »
Who will be the first worthy enough to talk with King?

I have to admit, I might be a little starstruck if such a moment occurred. I'd probably pull a Chris Farley: "Wasn't that great when you did that album, Abigail?"

- Remember when you were in Mercyful Fate?
- yeah!
- That was awesome, man!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
Great Idea, some one please ask king about his health and the DVDs and Mercyful Fate
BAMT

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »
Well hopefully everyone who had something to say tries to talk to King on sunday. The man is giving us an open invitation to pick his brain and have a nice chat. I know I will be logged on but with my luck I wont get a chance to talk to him haha. :)

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »
Well hopefully everyone who had something to say tries to talk to King on sunday. The man is giving us an open invitation to pick his brain and have a nice chat. I know I will be logged on but with my luck I wont get a chance to talk to him haha. :)
Hahahah yeah i feel the same way, would be awesome though

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
Will there be any way to record these conversations so that everyone can hear?
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline Spiderlady

• You Are "9"
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »
I`d be too scared to talk to King  :( I`d just stutter and sound like a idiot.

I know right! Not to mention I have the attention span and listening skills of a gnat these days. I would look like the biggest dumbass on the planet! I might have to take my chances anyway though...... :gah:

Offline arrival

• Haunted
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »
King Diamond - Kim B. Petersen has shared contact details with Riju Dasgupta.

Woohoo :D

Offline Mohican

• Gypsy
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 02:55:12 PM »
Interesting idea, King.
Let`s  see how it works.
All the best!
You and me...we`re not even the same species...

Offline gamemaster

• Lady In Black
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
That is a very good idea indeed!Let's see how it will work!!!!! \m/

Offline Twilight Symphony

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Great idea King. Thanks for doing this  \m/

This Sunday.....wow....a call from King would be the only thing that would make me switch off the Man Utd v Liverpool game!

Offline demetman

• Mandrake
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:38 PM »
King, I certainly commend your willingness to become a little more intimate and share info with your core fans. Definitely a cool idea and of course we would all be honored to have an opportunity to converse with you. I'm a little surprised that some of the aforementioned false allegations and rumors bother you as much as they do. I frequent the coven forum for updates and info and unless it was posted here I don't pay attention to anything I hear. The proposed skype communication would be a great way to convey what's really going on and create an unforgettable moment for some lucky fans. Thank you!

Offline chainsaw_buffet

• Possessed
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 11:44:38 PM »
fucking awesome news

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »
Excellent! I'll start to think about some questions right now. It would be great honour to talk with King. However if I don't get a chance on Sunday then I'm pleased that some of you great fans will get the opportunity. Long Live the King! \m/

Offline Wilmar

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »
Going to buy a microphone and add skype to the pc. But I doubt King will ever talk to me for being way too critical...

Offline Countess De La Fey

• Superpostwhore
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
WHOA! That is awesome news! And this is such an easy way to keep the information fresh! Any time there's something big to talk about,King could come online for a few minutes and let us know what he's up to! And what better way to make a good artist-fan connection than through this?

Although we should remember to stay conscious and not freak out and disturb King with offline messages or disrupt him when he is online...sure,if you really have an important question,then yes,but I'm afraid that Sunday King will be flooded with questions as happened with the 'Ask KD' thread. I am expecting everybody who read this to download Skype and make an account.

Be reasonable!
\m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/  \m/

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »
Yes, please only good questions, king does need agersive questions, please make it with respect and don´t forget Mercyful Fate and the DVDs
BAMT

Offline Madman 666

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
Pretty awesome.  My parents have Skype but I don't. 

Of course, if I got to chat with King it would probably just end up with me telling him how awesome everything he's done has been so I don't know if it would be a constructive conversation.  haha

Offline Grace

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 02:17:20 PM »
So “Stop” it is? That doesn’t sound like something I agree with. Sorry. I am not spreading rumors, adding gossip or hurting anybody’s career. I am making observations that hang unanswered in the air.

I think people in general mistake points me and others have made in here for some sort of hate-mongering. King Diamond is, and will always be, my absolute favorite band, and as a long time die-hard fan I have very strong opinions on everything that pertains to the music, the lyrics, the management and everything else.

I believe in the individual's right to express his opinion and nothing pisses me off more than blindly subscribing to everything an artist says or does. Without constructive criticism there is no area of opportunity in which to expand and move forward. I always strive to be the absolute best I can be, in anything that I pursue, so if soliciting advice or creative input from outside sources is sometimes required to expand my horizons and put on a different colored thinking cap, then so be it. People who only listen to their own counsel are either absolute geniuses or fucking idiots. Geniuses are rare, idiots are not.

I don't have Skype so I can't have this discussion with King himself, and I doubt it would make a difference. I was a musician for many years, then worked in the music business, and now I am just a Joe Schmoe business man working for my family, but through all the years I have picked up a few things about what spells success and what doesn't. Surrounding yourself with talented people who 100% commit to your vision but still have the balls to tell you when you're wrong is an absolute requirement. Not only when you’re wrong, but also when you are almost right, to coax that last piece of the puzzle out of you. That is why even huge experienced bands and artists like Maiden, David Bowie, Bon Jovi or U2 hire a producer to chief over the recordings, to bring that unbiased outside perspective. Even smaller bands like Arch Enemy, Opeth and Dream Theater know this is the way to go. I think King would benefit greatly from loosening the reins a little and bring on Andy Sneap, Fredrik Nordstrom or some other demon producer to lord over the next album. Also, why not call a band camp BEFORE the songs are written this time around? All the best KD albums were always written and arranged as a band, so why is that option not there anymore? Geography is a lame excuse and I have a feeling there is a lot of untapped potential in Mike, Hal and Matt that could be brought out if they felt they were a part of the creative process from the beginning, rather than added as an afterthought when it’s time to rehearse and record the finished product. Andy is already pulling his weight, but is his heart in it the same it used to be? Maybe he needs a shot of adrenaline as well?

You can’t make a business out of creativity and art, or you will lose touch with your passion, but that is why you hire people to take care of all that for you. Who, at this point, is the steward of King’s career? Himself? His manager? Metal Blade Records? There is a breakdown somewhere and it needs to be fixed by King, and only King himself. If he doesn’t, then the band King Diamond will forever just be a quirky hobby that merely passes for an interesting footnote in the current history of metal as it is being written by more productive bands, and I, for one, think his music deserves a hell of a lot more than that. On a whole, it is heads and shoulders above the rest of the metal community on an average.

If you allow yourself as an artist to live on glories past, fine – King has deserved it, but then don’t act surprised when your current fan base dwindles to nothingness as there is NOTHING to keep the casual fan interested. Us die hard fans will be here to the end, but that is not where you make your money. We’re just the bread and butter of King’s career. He has to reach more people, and more often. He has to throw his name in the hat every chance he gets.

I don’t understand why anybody (you guys, King himself, or the band) would take offense to people being concerned about his career? Isn’t it in all our interest that he has a long and prosperous career that can afford him to be as creative as he chooses to be and at the same time being rewarded for his hard work and musical exceptionality?

Being a loyal fan is necessary, going to the shows and buying the records is a must, but just blindly cheering on is counter-productive and only serves to solidify the non-prosperous and barren status quo in the King Diamond camp.

I wish everybody all the best with their upcoming conversations with King, and I think it is an amazing initiative by him to get closer to his fans, but I don’t think we are the problem. I do however think King has so much more to offer the world of music than what is currently being put on the table. I think, and always did, that his best album is yet to come. And THAT is why I will always be a real fan.

Respectfully,

Grace

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"If thine eyes deceive thee, pluck them out"

Offline Mohican

• Gypsy
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »
I don’t understand why anybody (you guys, King himself, or the band) would take offense to people being concerned about his career? Isn’t it in all our interest that he has a long and prosperous career that can afford him to be as creative as he chooses to be and at the same time being rewarded for his hard work and musical exceptionality?

Problem here is that this "concerning" has gone a bit too far.
"Why King did this and why not that etc...instead he should do this..." It`s not just a discussion anymore, we are beginning to show aggressivness over things we actually do not know about - we don`t know details or reasons behind them.
I think this is the main reason why King wants to stop these kind of "shots in the dark", for this ain`t helping anyone.
You and me...we`re not even the same species...