Author Topic: Skype with King  (Read 187006 times)

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
Re: Skype with King
« Reply #950 on: December 02, 2010, 12:15:30 PM »
I need to watch this interview, so please.....where is the link?

:king:

It`s on this very page. A little further up. It also has its own topic. Plus, it isn`t hard to find on youtube  :gah: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13i2iOHxqWY
Like, whatever.

Offline QueenDiamond666

• Unclean Spirit
  • RIP mighty DIO
« Reply #951 on: December 03, 2010, 07:09:25 AM »
Thanks anyway!!! :D

Offline A Vist From The Dead

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #952 on: December 24, 2010, 01:50:16 PM »
Hey, does anyone know if king still does the skype thing or not ? Thanks guys  :king:

Offline fathermalone

• Holy Shrine
    • myspace
« Reply #953 on: December 24, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
Hey, does anyone know if king still does the skype thing or not ? Thanks guys  :king:

I'm pretty sure King is still recovering and isn't up for the skype thing right now...

Offline Guitarwiz

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #954 on: December 29, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
So “Stop” it is? That doesn’t sound like something I agree with. Sorry. I am not spreading rumors, adding gossip or hurting anybody’s career. I am making observations that hang unanswered in the air.

I think people in general mistake points me and others have made in here for some sort of hate-mongering. King Diamond is, and will always be, my absolute favorite band, and as a long time die-hard fan I have very strong opinions on everything that pertains to the music, the lyrics, the management and everything else.

I believe in the individual's right to express his opinion and nothing pisses me off more than blindly subscribing to everything an artist says or does. Without constructive criticism there is no area of opportunity in which to expand and move forward. I always strive to be the absolute best I can be, in anything that I pursue, so if soliciting advice or creative input from outside sources is sometimes required to expand my horizons and put on a different colored thinking cap, then so be it. People who only listen to their own counsel are either absolute geniuses or fucking idiots. Geniuses are rare, idiots are not.

I don't have Skype so I can't have this discussion with King himself, and I doubt it would make a difference. I was a musician for many years, then worked in the music business, and now I am just a Joe Schmoe business man working for my family, but through all the years I have picked up a few things about what spells success and what doesn't. Surrounding yourself with talented people who 100% commit to your vision but still have the balls to tell you when you're wrong is an absolute requirement. Not only when you’re wrong, but also when you are almost right, to coax that last piece of the puzzle out of you. That is why even huge experienced bands and artists like Maiden, David Bowie, Bon Jovi or U2 hire a producer to chief over the recordings, to bring that unbiased outside perspective. Even smaller bands like Arch Enemy, Opeth and Dream Theater know this is the way to go. I think King would benefit greatly from loosening the reins a little and bring on Andy Sneap, Fredrik Nordstrom or some other demon producer to lord over the next album. Also, why not call a band camp BEFORE the songs are written this time around? All the best KD albums were always written and arranged as a band, so why is that option not there anymore? Geography is a lame excuse and I have a feeling there is a lot of untapped potential in Mike, Hal and Matt that could be brought out if they felt they were a part of the creative process from the beginning, rather than added as an afterthought when it’s time to rehearse and record the finished product. Andy is already pulling his weight, but is his heart in it the same it used to be? Maybe he needs a shot of adrenaline as well?

You can’t make a business out of creativity and art, or you will lose touch with your passion, but that is why you hire people to take care of all that for you. Who, at this point, is the steward of King’s career? Himself? His manager? Metal Blade Records? There is a breakdown somewhere and it needs to be fixed by King, and only King himself. If he doesn’t, then the band King Diamond will forever just be a quirky hobby that merely passes for an interesting footnote in the current history of metal as it is being written by more productive bands, and I, for one, think his music deserves a hell of a lot more than that. On a whole, it is heads and shoulders above the rest of the metal community on an average.

If you allow yourself as an artist to live on glories past, fine – King has deserved it, but then don’t act surprised when your current fan base dwindles to nothingness as there is NOTHING to keep the casual fan interested. Us die hard fans will be here to the end, but that is not where you make your money. We’re just the bread and butter of King’s career. He has to reach more people, and more often. He has to throw his name in the hat every chance he gets.

I don’t understand why anybody (you guys, King himself, or the band) would take offense to people being concerned about his career? Isn’t it in all our interest that he has a long and prosperous career that can afford him to be as creative as he chooses to be and at the same time being rewarded for his hard work and musical exceptionality?

Being a loyal fan is necessary, going to the shows and buying the records is a must, but just blindly cheering on is counter-productive and only serves to solidify the non-prosperous and barren status quo in the King Diamond camp.

I wish everybody all the best with their upcoming conversations with King, and I think it is an amazing initiative by him to get closer to his fans, but I don’t think we are the problem. I do however think King has so much more to offer the world of music than what is currently being put on the table. I think, and always did, that his best album is yet to come. And THAT is why I will always be a real fan.

Respectfully,

Grace

Absolutly the best writing ever on this forum,hands down.
I may forget ,but I always remember.

Offline MysT

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #955 on: January 05, 2011, 11:53:52 AM »
Very wisely said...
faen!

Offline QueenDiamond666

• Unclean Spirit
  • RIP mighty DIO
« Reply #956 on: January 21, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
Very good comment.

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #957 on: February 05, 2011, 02:47:42 AM »
So “Stop” it is? That doesn’t sound like something I agree with. Sorry. I am not spreading rumors, adding gossip or hurting anybody’s career. I am making observations that hang unanswered in the air.

I think people in general mistake points me and others have made in here for some sort of hate-mongering. King Diamond is, and will always be, my absolute favorite band, and as a long time die-hard fan I have very strong opinions on everything that pertains to the music, the lyrics, the management and everything else.

I believe in the individual's right to express his opinion and nothing pisses me off more than blindly subscribing to everything an artist says or does. Without constructive criticism there is no area of opportunity in which to expand and move forward. I always strive to be the absolute best I can be, in anything that I pursue, so if soliciting advice or creative input from outside sources is sometimes required to expand my horizons and put on a different colored thinking cap, then so be it. People who only listen to their own counsel are either absolute geniuses or fucking idiots. Geniuses are rare, idiots are not.

I don't have Skype so I can't have this discussion with King himself, and I doubt it would make a difference. I was a musician for many years, then worked in the music business, and now I am just a Joe Schmoe business man working for my family, but through all the years I have picked up a few things about what spells success and what doesn't. Surrounding yourself with talented people who 100% commit to your vision but still have the balls to tell you when you're wrong is an absolute requirement. Not only when you’re wrong, but also when you are almost right, to coax that last piece of the puzzle out of you. That is why even huge experienced bands and artists like Maiden, David Bowie, Bon Jovi or U2 hire a producer to chief over the recordings, to bring that unbiased outside perspective. Even smaller bands like Arch Enemy, Opeth and Dream Theater know this is the way to go. I think King would benefit greatly from loosening the reins a little and bring on Andy Sneap, Fredrik Nordstrom or some other demon producer to lord over the next album. Also, why not call a band camp BEFORE the songs are written this time around? All the best KD albums were always written and arranged as a band, so why is that option not there anymore? Geography is a lame excuse and I have a feeling there is a lot of untapped potential in Mike, Hal and Matt that could be brought out if they felt they were a part of the creative process from the beginning, rather than added as an afterthought when it’s time to rehearse and record the finished product. Andy is already pulling his weight, but is his heart in it the same it used to be? Maybe he needs a shot of adrenaline as well?

You can’t make a business out of creativity and art, or you will lose touch with your passion, but that is why you hire people to take care of all that for you. Who, at this point, is the steward of King’s career? Himself? His manager? Metal Blade Records? There is a breakdown somewhere and it needs to be fixed by King, and only King himself. If he doesn’t, then the band King Diamond will forever just be a quirky hobby that merely passes for an interesting footnote in the current history of metal as it is being written by more productive bands, and I, for one, think his music deserves a hell of a lot more than that. On a whole, it is heads and shoulders above the rest of the metal community on an average.

If you allow yourself as an artist to live on glories past, fine – King has deserved it, but then don’t act surprised when your current fan base dwindles to nothingness as there is NOTHING to keep the casual fan interested. Us die hard fans will be here to the end, but that is not where you make your money. We’re just the bread and butter of King’s career. He has to reach more people, and more often. He has to throw his name in the hat every chance he gets.

I don’t understand why anybody (you guys, King himself, or the band) would take offense to people being concerned about his career? Isn’t it in all our interest that he has a long and prosperous career that can afford him to be as creative as he chooses to be and at the same time being rewarded for his hard work and musical exceptionality?

Being a loyal fan is necessary, going to the shows and buying the records is a must, but just blindly cheering on is counter-productive and only serves to solidify the non-prosperous and barren status quo in the King Diamond camp.

I wish everybody all the best with their upcoming conversations with King, and I think it is an amazing initiative by him to get closer to his fans, but I don’t think we are the problem. I do however think King has so much more to offer the world of music than what is currently being put on the table. I think, and always did, that his best album is yet to come. And THAT is why I will always be a real fan.

Respectfully,

Grace
It couldn't be better said than this. Thanks!

In fact, the two main reasons why I no longer come around here it's because, one, there's no music-related news from the MF/KD camp since ever; and two, because you no longer see here posts of the Grace's kind.

So, again, thanks Grace! Intelligent people are certainly a rarity --"Amazing Grace" any? :)

Joseph Curwen

« Reply #958 on: February 05, 2011, 03:40:02 AM »
No offense, but I'm at a loss to explain why so many are applauding Grace's post.
"You can't make a business out of creativity and art, or you will lose touch with your passion..."?
That's an industry spoke person's view, a manger's view, a rationalization for their existence and their sizable fee.
"Geniuses are rare, idiots are not."
And who decides an artist is a genius, or an idiot?
Is there there an intelligence yardstick for art? Or are we simply discussing business acumen again?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:13:13 AM by Joseph Curwen »

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #959 on: February 05, 2011, 08:13:40 AM »
No offense, but I'm at a loss to explain why so many are applauding Grace's post.
"You can't make a business out of creativity and art, or you will lose touch with your passion..."?
That's an industry spoke person's view, a manger's view, a rationalization for their existence and their sizable fee.
"Geniuses are rare, idiots are not."
And who decides an artist is a genius, or an idiot?
Is there there an intelligence yardstick for art? Or are we simply discussing business acumen again?
You might either share or not some of her opinions, but to me it's clear that KD and MF do need an external catalyzer to go out from their comfort zone. It's a fact they're stalling, and not only from a marketing point of view.

Ok, if King is economically free at this point and doesn't need to work, I'm very happy for him as an individual. But as a fan, I'm far from being happy.

Where are the so-many-times-promised-and-never-released KD and MF DVD's? Why bands such as Immortal, Emperor, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Arch Enemy, Nevermore and whoever else has conquered a little place in the metal world do have quality DVD's released, while KD and MF don't? How come Hank Shermann manages to film a DVD of Force of Evil, and it can't be done for neither MF or KD?

Also, who f@#$% needs shoes with MF and KD pics? C'mon! Ok, merchandising is great for some people, but music-related products go first in my books. Everything else are byproducts. In this case, those shoes are byproducts of what? Of supposedly-active bands whose best music was released decades ago? I share this point of view of Grace: I still want to believe the best release is yet to come!

And also, how come MF gets a lot of visibility through Guitar Hero Metallica and there was no label, managing agency or whatever-marketing-or-career-management-entity-be doing a big deal out of it? Because the timing was perfect to hype MF in the specialized press and to release new material, including a DVD, as well as a compilation of rarities on CD --instead of the pitiful limited vinyl they released with the two re-recorded songs.

Finally, what Grace wrote about fanboys blindly praising King and being unconditional to him here is very true. One would say that every time King farts or does whatever, be it either banal or not, all the cheering doggies here shake their tails and applaud. I say, screw that shit! Man, I got a brain too, a big ego and a bigger mouth. I do love King's music, but to me there's no god, and even less a human being who will give a sense to my life. I am an alpha male, I'm opinionated, I'll always be and nobody (King included) rules my life. So, I think we all have the right to say what we think, and if some of us think the KD/MF camp is slacking, I think we have the right to say so.

PS: No offense to anyone, ok? I'm just being intense because I'm metal, but I'm a nice guy, really... :)

Offline Brian

• You Are "9"
  • EVIL INCARNATE
« Reply #960 on: February 05, 2011, 09:06:20 AM »
^I have to say that I agree with you Zorro and Grace on alot of your points and as long as it didnt mean going commercial or destroying the integrity that is these two awsome bands/ entities , I to would like to see more involvement from positive outside influences and I too believe there are certain things that could and should be different here . I dont feel I have a place to say what one should do/not do but to me , both of MF/KD are huge and talented in what they do and deserve to be taken more seriously for the artists that they are without trying to jump into the mainstream . I do have to agree with King in that if he is comfortable in where he is with the buisness of what he does , its not up to any of use to question that .( comment or make suggestions.... ok ) But it seems we are kind of being  led by the carrot so to speak in anticipation of the DVD'S and new information as to were both entities stand in regards of future endevors. King is going thru mortality recognition and I wish the best for him and I do believe that there still are good things in the future . the waiting just drives alot of fans crazy and I for one would certainly like to be less in the dark about all these things. :king:
In Hell ....I will Kill you again !

Joseph Curwen

« Reply #961 on: February 05, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »
You might either share or not some of her opinions, but to me it's clear that KD and MF do need an external catalyzer to go out from their comfort zone. It's a fact they're stalling, and not only from a marketing point of view.

Ok, if King is economically free at this point and doesn't need to work, I'm very happy for him as an individual. But as a fan, I'm far from being happy.

Where are the so-many-times-promised-and-never-released KD and MF DVD's? Why bands such as Immortal, Emperor, Amon Amarth, Opeth, Arch Enemy, Nevermore and whoever else has conquered a little place in the metal world do have quality DVD's released, while KD and MF don't? How come Hank Shermann manages to film a DVD of Force of Evil, and it can't be done for neither MF or KD?

Also, who f@#$% needs shoes with MF and KD pics? C'mon! Ok, merchandising is great for some people, but music-related products go first in my books. Everything else are byproducts. In this case, those shoes are byproducts of what? Of supposedly-active bands whose best music was released decades ago? I share this point of view of Grace: I still want to believe the best release is yet to come!

And also, how come MF gets a lot of visibility through Guitar Hero Metallica and there was no label, managing agency or whatever-marketing-or-career-management-entity-be doing a big deal out of it? Because the timing was perfect to hype MF in the specialized press and to release new material, including a DVD, as well as a compilation of rarities on CD --instead of the pitiful limited vinyl they released with the two re-recorded songs.

Finally, what Grace wrote about fanboys blindly praising King and being unconditional to him here is very true. One would say that every time King farts or does whatever, be it either banal or not, all the cheering doggies here shake their tails and applaud. I say, screw that shit! Man, I got a brain too, a big ego and a bigger mouth. I do love King's music, but to me there's no god, and even less a human being who will give a sense to my life. I am an alpha male, I'm opinionated, I'll always be and nobody (King included) rules my life. So, I think we all have the right to say what we think, and if some of us think the KD/MF camp is slacking, I think we have the right to say so.

PS: No offense to anyone, ok? I'm just being intense because I'm metal, but I'm a nice guy, really... :)
I prefer not to quote entire, lengthy posts, but yours is so long it's difficult to get around it.
I'm not going to open with a apologia, that will have to wait.
What I've been reading on this topic's page (I haven't the time to go further back) is a sort of hopeless idealism.
If fans feel their criticisms are unappreciated, get used to it. It's the artist's decision, not theirs.
If fans are dissatisfied with the direction King et al have been taking, listen to something else. Sorted.
If people are put off by so called "fan boys", grow up. It takes all types to make a world, and an open forum.
And at risk of redundancy, I hope I haven't offended anyone either. :)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 01:17:41 PM by Joseph Curwen »

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #962 on: February 05, 2011, 02:00:03 PM »
I prefer not to quote entire, lengthy posts, but yours is so long it's difficult to get around it.
It also takes people who write long posts. :)

I'm not going to open with a apologia, that will have to wait.
I can live without it, don't worry. :)

What I've been reading on this topic's page (I haven't the time to go further back) is a sort of hopeless idealism.
You may qualify people's opinions as you wish. I have no expectation in my case, so that's certainly hopeless; but at the same time, MF/KD facts speak for themselves, so I'd rather tag my opinion as "hopeless realism". :)

If fans feel their criticisms are unappreciated, get used to it. It's the artist's decision, not theirs.
Equally, if fans decide to criticize (and they are free of doing so), it's not the artist's decision. It's the fans'. The artist should then get used to it as well --it goes both directions, right?

If fans are dissatisfied with the direction King et al have been taking, listen to something else. Sorted.
Do you think those who keep criticizing don't listen to something else? :)

If people are put off by so called "fan boys", grow up. It takes all types to make a world, and an open forum.
It certainly takes all types, which includes those who think it's the fan boys who should grow up, and so on... It's an open forum, as you say.

And at risk of redundancy, I hope I haven't offended anyone either. :)
I call that "hopeless idealism", but peace anyway, bro. Let's get a life, both of us! :)

C'ya'round! :)

Joseph Curwen

« Reply #963 on: February 05, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »
Let's get a life, both of us! :)
let's both get a hairpiece more like, this balding business is bumming me out! lolol
some people look good bald. i wish i was one of them.
my big ears n all. freakin flying nun. hey ho :gah:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:09:19 PM by Joseph Curwen »

Offline zorrow

• Jonah
« Reply #964 on: February 05, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
let's both get a hairpiece more like, this balding business is bumming me out! lolol
some people look good bald. i wish i was one of them.
my big ears n all. freakin flying nun. hey ho :gah:
Cool man, no harsh feeling! :D:

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #965 on: February 11, 2011, 01:21:02 PM »

Also, who f@#$% needs shoes with MF and KD pics? C'mon! Ok, merchandising is great for some people, but music-related products go first in my books. Everything else are byproducts. In this case, those shoes are byproducts of what? Of supposedly-active bands whose best music was released decades ago?

Haha! Classic!  :cool:
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline ozzy554

• Fatal Portrait
« Reply #966 on: March 05, 2011, 06:17:02 AM »
how did skype with king turn into this

Joseph Curwen

« Reply #967 on: March 05, 2011, 07:14:11 AM »
how did skype with king turn into this
a psychotherapist might suggest deep seated repressed insecurities...
but he's out of the office on weekends.
ooops. ::)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:39:51 AM by Joseph Curwen »

Offline Demon1

• The Preacher
« Reply #968 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »
Cool idea, King.   :king:
Darkness Never Comes Too Soon.