Author Topic: 'Abigail' Is One Of 'Ten Greatest Album Covers in Roadrunner History'  (Read 3996 times)

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
    • https://www.facebook.com/travis.falcon.94
Since 1910 musicians have associated visual arts with their sonic output in the form of the almighty album cover. And since 1987, Roadrunner Records has been a source of some visually stunning and visually disturbing images in the wide world of album art, nevertheless honoring the tradition. Whether using an image to set the tone for what's to follow on your speakers, or as a means of branding in forever associating a picture with a title, there is no question as to the power of the album cover — which is why the label took a look at every album released on Roadrunner Records U.S. to find the greatest covers in its celebrated history.

Voted on by the Roadrunner worldwide staff, showcasing the iconic vs. the blasphemous, the painted vs. the photographed, as well as the found art vs. the commissioned art, we give you the "Ten Greatest Album Covers in Roadrunner History" — one at a time.

Feast your eyes on #10 below, and check back every day as we countdown to number one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNbUSSKmRek&feature=player_embedded

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • The mother of postwhores!
  • $xDxR
Re: 'Abigail' Is One Of 'Ten Greatest Album Covers in Roadrunner History'
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
abigail has a great cover, but i still preffer them

GYSP has a very nice cover too :fingers:

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »
Great cover indeed.  :king:
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline fatekingfate

• Salem
    • Bloody Face (official band website)
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Abigail is amazing. :cool:  i to like "them" the best, but abby is my second fav! \m/

Offline Tuwin

• Global Moderator
  • 18 is actually 9
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »
Nice, that's awesome!

Abigail will always be number 1

Offline HeadOnTheWall777

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:09 PM »
Like Tuwin said, Abigail will always be number one. Perfect music, perfect album cover, and perfect band! :king:

poltergeiss

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 08:49:12 PM »
Abigail cover, hands down, the absolute best cover for King Diamond, ever! 

The Them cover could be compared to the house from Psycho.  Abigail?  Can't think of anything to compare it to.

Offline Aeon666

• The mother of postwhores!
  • I´m still missing you Dad... I haven´t forget you!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
The Cover speaks for itself... a real piece of art... I wonder what happened with the original painting!!! :D:

Offline Lucifers Mirror

• Victimized
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:33:58 AM »
One of the best covers of any album ever.

I wonder, was that cover comissioned for that particular album, or did the artwork already exist and was acquired after the fact?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:37:17 AM by Lucifers Mirror »
Repent, Worthless Fuckers!

www.thosepoorbastards.com

Offline kingslungs

• Voodoo Priest
    • Ross666
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:32:37 AM »
In my top five by roadrunner records  :king: not #10 ::)
 I wonder what is for number 9 vote?

I like Type O Negative's Bloody Kisses
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3860/319410x410.jpg

-or-

Opeth-Ghost Reveries and Machine Head-The Blackening are killer ones

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 08:52:52 AM »
Released to critical acclaim in 1987, KING DIAMOND's premiere epic concept album, "Abigail", really put the ex-MERCYFUL FATE frontman on the map with his namesake project. Showcasing the singer's signature falsettos and brimming with metal theatrics, "Abigail" tells the ill-fated story of Miriam and Jonathan La'Fey, a couple inhabiting an old family mansion riddled with ghosts foreshadowing the return of the tempered soul of baby Abigail. But it's the "Black Horsemen" that act as the main messengers, and thus grace the cover of this dark tale.

Says King Diamond of the painting, "It was commissioned specifically for the album. The [artists] read the story, read the lyrics and then from that came the cover. The horse-drawn carriage came from their drawings [and we thought], 'Wow, that could be a really cool motif,' because 'Black Horsemen' is one of those main songs in that story. There were very little changes made before they started the painting; they could really visualize the story in a good way."

As for the overall reaction, King recalls, "A lot of people heard us for the first time with that album , and (laughs) a lot of people told us they were scared when they heard the album; it gave them the creeps. And I guess the cover had a lot to do with that, too. It certainly had that creepy, classic horror feel. The best thing about that is you can prepare the listener through the cover for what is coming when you start playing the music. Had it been a red and white Danish flag on the front, I don't think the story and the music would come across in the same way, because it does something to it to look at that cover and start hearing music — it puts you in a certain pre-mood. Then the music can live up to the cover and vice-versa and you have that nice combination where it just gels."

Offline fatekingfate

• Salem
    • Bloody Face (official band website)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 06:41:27 PM »
Yep, its all about the cover that sets the stage for the imagery, tone and feel for albums. Then the music plays out the image and setting. Thats why abigail and them are awesome. The graveyard is perfect also. That errie twilight and or early morning pre-sunrise cold purple sky air feeling. :king:   

Offline Twilight Symphony

• Deadly Lullabye
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 06:56:01 PM »
Yep, Abigail will always be my number 1. This was introduction to KD & the album blew me away  \m/

I love the album cover. I'd like to get it painted onto one of my guitars. Saying that, is it Andy that has a guitar with the Abigial cover on?

Offline Red Dragon

• Uninvited Guest
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 07:29:24 PM »
been my computer background for years so I agree!

Offline King

• The King Of Diamonds
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
For the last 10 days Roadrunner Records has been counting down the "Ten Greatest Album Covers in Roadrunner History" with one of its most "revered," veteran (translation: old) employees, Senior VP of A&R Monte Conner, giving some added insight into the making of each album on our list.

Now that Roadrunner has revealed its #1, it is giving Monte the reins to go over his personal top 10 covers — as they (mostly) differ from Roadrunner's universal list.

Check out what he chose in the video below, and stick around for his reasoning — you just might learn some bonus Roadrunner trivia!

Monte Conner's "Ten Greatest Album Covers in Roadrunner History":

01. SEPULTURA - "Chaos A.D."
02. KING DIAMOND - "Abigail"
03. SUFFOCATION - "Effigy Of The Forgotten"
04. FEAR FACTORY - "Demanufacture"
05. TYPE O NEGATIVE - "Bloody Kisses"
06. SEPULTURA - "Beneath The Remains"
07. OBITUARY - "Cause Of Death"
08. SLIPKNOT - "Slipknot"
09. DISINCARNATE - "Dreams Of The Carrion Kind"
10. CYNIC - "Focus"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myiJXDjCVS8