Author Topic: Does anyone else not want Livia on the new album?  (Read 37386 times)

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
Re: Does anyone else not want Livia on the new album?
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 06:09:50 pm »
You're walking on eggshells saying that around here lol. Everyone loves her. But I agree with you, I don't think she is a very good singer. She sounds like any other person in my old highschool choir, which isn't bad, it's just not good enough to be featured on an album.

I've said it before on the old forum, I wasn't thrilled with her vocals and *gasp* not crazy about The Puppet Master album. I definitely didn't hate it, it just doesn't have much replay value for me because I don't like the vocals.

Well, I think it's healthy to have a bit of negative criticism from time to time of this nature. It would be unrealistic, and actually kind of embarrassing, if everyone here was such a fanboy/girl that they claim to love everything connected to King Diamond's music without question!

Personally, I think the concept of Puppet Master was great, but in retrospect, musically and vocally it perhaps wasn't one of the strongest KD albums.
-Goat

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 08:11:17 pm »
I was actually afraid of logging here tonight to check the replies. lol.
I know my opinion isn't a popular one on this delicate matter, and so far, I've kept quiet. Like I said flame wars are useless. I'm glad we can have a civilised discussion. I never force my musical tastes onto others, 'cos I respect people too much and am always willing to hear or read what others think.

This forum is truly amazing. :king: And I'll give you that: She isn't that bad!
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline BlackDiamond

• Witches' Eye
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 12:28:09 am »
Well, I think it's healthy to have a bit of negative criticism from time to time of this nature. It would be unrealistic, and actually kind of embarrassing, if everyone here was such a fanboy/girl that they claim to love everything connected to King Diamond's music without question!

Personally, I think the concept of Puppet Master was great, but in retrospect, musically and vocally it perhaps wasn't one of the strongest KD albums.

Exactly! We can't expect King to cater to all of our tastes all the time, and the feminine vocals are just not my taste, but they can certainly be others.

I do love this forum and its members.  :king:
Kiss the lil Demon...

Offline Nocturne Wraith

• Haunted
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 03:27:13 pm »
I wouldn't mind her appearing on the new album.  If anything, I want King to return to his older vocal style (more falsetto).  I like the vocals on The Puppet Master, but I want him to start wailing again.

Offline freewheelburning

• Spirit
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2006, 01:33:30 pm »
I prefer not hearing her on the new album too. I prefer King to sing the high vocals, not a female. She did an exellent job on the PM though and I think she is a fine addition to the live band.

Offline Hellborn Goat

• Superpostwhore
  • Goat
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 04:08:51 pm »
If anything, I want King to return to his older vocal style (more falsetto).  I like the vocals on The Puppet Master, but I want him to start wailing again.

I agree with that, it would be great to hear more falsetto on the next album.
-Goat

Offline Axe Minister

• "Grandma"
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 12:32:41 am »
I too would rather just hear King on his next album. But definitely with more falsettos. That said, I really liked her harmony parts live. To me it just added that special touch to the vocals, so if not an another studio album in the upcoming future, I would still like to hear her on stage contributing to the backup harmony vocals.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 04:44:54 am by Axe Minister »
It is better to reign in HELL than serve in Heaven.

Offline EvilPat

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 03:28:57 am »
You're walking on eggshells saying that around here lol. Everyone loves her. But I agree with you, I don't think she is a very good singer. She sounds like any other person in my old highschool choir, which isn't bad, it's just not good enough to be featured on an album.

I've said it before on the old forum, I wasn't thrilled with her vocals and *gasp* not crazy about The Puppet Master album. I definitely didn't hate it, it just doesn't have much replay value for me because I don't like the vocals.

But I hated Tarja's vocals too. I think it's just choir female vocals that I don't like. I like strong vocals from a woman, but that's extremely hard to find in this genre.

Deadlock have a really cool and strong girl on some of their songs. Listen to "awakened by sirens" where you can hear her sing. Here is the link to the myspace-site:

http://www.myspace.com/xdeadlockx

Her name is Sabine and you will find her on place no.1 in the deadlock-friends.

Offline Spooky

• Witches' Eye
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 06:43:58 pm »
I think that she did a really good job on The Puppet Master... At the live shows I think she was too low... You almost can't hear her.
Anyway... I might have missed something, but I understand that she's quite new to singing (and what better way to boost your skills than to go on a world tour with one of the best metal bands ever)

I think she will be on the next album... and I think that she will do a good job.
But if she's not on the next album, I hope she will join them on tour as a "harmony maker" :gah:
-Life is like a penis... When it's hard, you get screwed... When it's soft, you can't beat it-

-Poli

Offline Raven

• Black Devil
    • Beyond Eternal
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 12:00:53 pm »
I'm of the mindset that many of you have. If it suits the story, then she belongs. King knows what he's doing and will always do what is best for whatever tale he's portraying.

I didn't mind her vocals on Puppet master, there are certainly stronger female vocalists out there, but she fit the aura of what the story was about. I will say this though, I'd rather see a female do the female vocals than King (no matter how good he is at it) it adds that extra touch of authenticity to what is being told. In moderation I think it helps to enhance things.

He hasn't said much as to the plot line of the new album yet has he? (or have I been out of the loop?)

"Now I hear deceiving lying tongues...never have I done no harm to anyone..."

Offline morgana

• Spirit
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 03:05:33 am »
I always loved when King did the female vocals...all the vocal work for Miriam (and Miriam possessed by Abigail) and then Abigail in the second album...

although I can understand that Livia was needed because it was a song that was in the style of a duet, not just a narration of a story.

That said, I hope King's next album is in the narrated format just because I miss that old style. I don't think Livia being in the next album would be such a good idea. The band is called King Diamond for a reason.

i totally agree.....
but king made some duets before....like in the trial....when acting both the inquisitor and the witch and i think it came out very well !!!!
king has a unique stile, he is one of the greatest singers ever...he doesn't need any help!!!! i suppose he put livia's vocals in this recording for a personal reason and i'm no one to contest it, but as a fan i can say i didn't appreciate his choice (musically speaking of course)
when i went to see him in prato (italy) livia was ill, this is what i heard among the crowd, anyway i was happy to have the chance to see him live again alone!!!!!  call it evilness but i have waited for him for 6 long years (last time in italy was in 2000) and i got the tickets for two dates.... unfortunatly many fans will probabily know what happened to the venue in reggio emilia...and the concert was deleyed apparently for stupid reasons!!!!!!!!
Hednahärens leds av Vintersorg
I dagerns bleke över mirar och berg
De tappra hirdmän ifrån nordens borg
Med kämpaglöden rotad djupt i sin märg

Offline Count Jonah

• Desecrator Of Souls
  • +++++
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2006, 01:36:11 am »
Livia, IMO has a great voice. She’s like a female version of King when it comes to the higher notes. What’s wrong with that? I would love to see her on the next album, but I hope they drop the semi-autobiographical love stories. It’s too Yoko Ono/John Lennon-ish. I really do love the Puppetmaster, but lines like: “the things we like are all the same” just shouldn’t have been on there.
"And I'm just the devil with love to spare
Viva Las Vegas Viva Las Vegas" - The King

Offline Lady_In_Black

• Catacomb Crawler
  • the lady had come again
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2006, 07:30:40 am »
With all do respect, I'm praying to Satan Livia isan't on the new album at all. 
uahuahahuahua :fingers:
well, I don´t care if Livia put her lovely voice on the next album. She did a great job on "Blue Eyes"
Only the creature...living inside of me
Could show me the meaning of life

Offline TwilightKing

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2006, 08:51:19 am »
Livia rulez. 'nuff said. \m/

Offline mario

• Owner Of The "LOA" House
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2006, 11:28:57 pm »
I  prefer only the voice of King, and I´m agreement with many, I want to listen more falsettos....... but if Livia is included, is because king  consider that she will be an important element for the album, like in the puppet master :king:

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Victim Of The Coven
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2006, 02:35:10 pm »
Well i do have to say that in my opinion Livia was a nice addition to the album her vocals just fit the theme and also gave a great mood to the over all concept especially in the song Magic.

Course king could have done the album solo but then the essence of what he wanted to capture wouldn't have been there.

:king: Stay heavy
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2006, 02:52:24 pm »
if it fits the music why not, IMO she has a good voice.

Offline castle5

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2006, 04:22:46 pm »
i believe livia is kings wife. he includes her because she is part of the family business now. we dont know her personally so we have no way of knowing her music talent. ill support any king diamond effort. he has always been true to his metal fans, i have never been let down at any of his shows. im sad that he couldnt work in another fate recording and tour tho.. :cool:

Offline CorpseWithoutASoul

• Mad Arab
  • Heaven or Hell... where are we now?
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2006, 07:31:32 pm »
She definitely wasn't overused on The Puppet Master. The parts she sang really fit well. All in all I'd say she was a refreshing change in sound from King Diamond. The song So Sad was exactly that!

Offline swintek

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2006, 11:19:08 pm »
I think she is a big part of why The Puppet Master is so great. It really brought a true (even more!) dramatic element to a King record. Of course we all know that he's capable of doing a female slant on his voice if need be, but why not go for the real deal! My first thought upon hearing her parts was "yes! of course! Why did he wait so long?" I think having that extra dramatic element also inspired him to write his best material in years as well.

I echo most of you though: whatever the man wants, will be the right choice.

Ron

Offline paulcoz

• Mandrake
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 01:15:23 am »
Livia is a competent singer, but she doesn't have a -great- voice (IMO). Her voice suits The Puppet Master perfectly! I don't want him to rehash the sound of his last record, because it's unique.

I would also like more shrieking falsettos on the new album, but King should do only what he thinks is appropriate...where vocals are concerned, he knows best.

Paul.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:22:16 am by paulcoz »
Paulcoz.

Offline maarten.

• NCS Team
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2006, 10:00:47 am »
indeed, kings knows best what suits the story.
before i had the puppetmaster, i had read some interviews and they were all saying there were almost no falsettos in it and a female singer would be in it, and i thought to myself, "damn, that must be the worst CD ever".... but then i listened to the album and it just blew me away, it all fitted so damn well, so for me, i just wait and see what nice king has for me in a few months :king:

Neffie's penguin's

Offline RipperBendix

• Global Moderator
    • Mah Band
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2006, 03:22:55 am »
I think using Livia for the female vocal parts would be more than logical. So if there are any female characters on the new album it definitely would be more sensible to have her sing them instead of having King do it.
-This space for rent-

Offline Dr. Landau

• Haunted
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2006, 08:30:04 pm »
No Livia for me on the next album!  I like Puppet Master a lot but let the concept be!!  I love my wife, value her input and think she would have some fresh ideas about my line of work but to say I have to include her because she is part of my family is not true.  King and Livia are not attached at the hip (well maybe sometimes).  I am sure when they wed she knew what their lifestyle together would be like.  By the way, the whole sequel album thing only worked once.  I don't think King should make another sequel to any album. 

Brad

Offline vonseux

• Banshee
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2006, 06:26:32 am »
Man, what i wanted most is to see a re-recording (or live version) of THE TRIAL and Abigail with Livia playng the female role... it would be amazing.

i've always dreamed of this like Bonus Tracks on PM, and i was a liittle sad that it was'nt on Deadly Lullabies, maybe next

what i loke most about Livia is that she has the same vocal tune of King's