Author Topic: Andy La Rocque's versatality  (Read 3721 times)

Offline arrival

• Haunted
Andy La Rocque's versatality
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:19 am »
I was just listening to Voodoo again and just checked out how versatile Andy is. I mean Pete Blakk is known for his shredding, Denner for his melodic playing...but just check out how Andy's choice of notes vary from album to album. The Dark feel of Voodoo to the melodic playing in House of God to say the more classical choice of notes in both the Abigail albums. I think he's the world's most underrated guitarist.  \m/ I bow down to the man's genius.
And the shadows on the wall/ they really came alive

Offline Phobos IX

• Desecrator Of Souls
Re: Andy La Rocque's versatality
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:47:27 am »
andy is definitely one of the greatest of all time, pretty underlooked in my opinion too.

Offline Mike Steele

• Fatal Portrait
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:31:29 am »
can only agree to what you say.

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 12:34:34 pm »
Andy, like King, has endeavored to maintain a certain continuity. A strong selling point for me. WE all know that Andy is a GOD. A King Diamond album sans Andy LaRocque scarcely bares thinking...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline The Joker

• Back Door Man
  • The mother of postwhores!
  • $xDxR
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 01:45:17 pm »
andy is definitely one of the greatest of all time, pretty underlooked in my opinion too.

agreed

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:49:34 pm »
I agree.

I couldn't imagine a KD album without Andy and I hope there never is one. He's the complete package when it comes to guitar playing.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline bolivarmaxi

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »
I think king needs more continue in his band mates, and all of they aport to the band, actuallity King has to do all the work, and there is no help of any excep for Andy
BAMT

Offline grandmas~saggytits

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:59:09 pm »
This isn't even debatable, now I'm far from saying that Pete or Mike or Herb aren't very talented but to compare them to Andy is laughable to me. No dissrespect to any other players but Andy is just better all around musician than the others.

Offline KingOfTheRotten

• The King Of Diamonds
  • WHOA YAEE!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:57:03 am »
Andy is a true genious when it comes to playing guitar. Also one of the most underrated guitar players of all time

Offline Invisible72

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 08:44:17 pm »
 :king: Totally agree. He is my favorite metal guitar player by far! He shreds classical runs, plays beautiful melodic solos, and does some of the sickest whammy stuff ever. His rhythm sounds is one of the best classic metal sounds ever. I can only strive to get close to that level...oh and to some day meet him and maybe record at his studio.  :)

We must thank King for introducing us to this legend that was the pioneer of Baroque Metal ( a term from the late 80's...haha!). Well, there was that other Swedish dude...Yngwie or something?  ;-) What Andy adds to King's music and his own songs is just amazingly powerful, haunting and beautiful at the same time. I mean seriously...what are some of those harmonies?? Scary stuff indeed.

I think Satriani should take him out on the G3 tour...along with another 80's-90's metal master. For my money...Andy is right up there with all of the guys that have played with Satch. My other favorite from the old days is another underrated guitarist Tommy Vetterli of Coroner.  \m/

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:45:05 pm by Invisible72 »

Offline dali

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 04:38:33 am »
Andy's work on The Eye and Individual Thought Patters is just priceless!!!

World's greatest guitarist IMHO !!!

Br,
Dali

Offline camarochick

• Superpostwhore
  • Toward the Unknown
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 06:10:35 am »
Andy certainly does not get the recognition in the guitar world for his talent, but he should. Perhaps he prefers to keep it that way though. I'm sure he knows he's got a lot of fans worldwide that appreciate his abilities.

Offline Maiden Jersey

• The mother of postwhores!
  • Become Earth
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 09:55:08 am »
This isn't even debatable, now I'm far from saying that Pete or Mike or Herb aren't very talented but to compare them to Andy is laughable to me. No dissrespect to any other players but Andy is just better all around musician than the others.

I like Mike Wead way better as far as guitar playing goes, Andy is still great though.

Offline Jack Glass

• Haunted
  • King Diamond & Hell, best two metal acts ever.
    • Hellman-666 Forum
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 11:40:38 am »
i think that's why IMHO KD are not writing music as good as they used to because they have two very technical players, for me the band had a better balance and feel with denner & andy in the band, two very different guitarists but they brought that x-factor to the bands sound

mike is a great player, andy is as well but for me denner is awesome, both him & hank are underestimated; we moved into times were technical proficiency overtook soul, skill and flair on stage looked better, but i feel every 5 piece band needs at least one very melodic player like denner and one very technical player like andy, it balances the sound and stops the band becoming over complicated, then you get real rocking foot tapping riffs

just my thoughts though, still love the band

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:04:35 pm »
I always thought Andy and Pete complimented each other very well...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2010, 02:26:33 am »
I was just listening to Voodoo again and just checked out how versatile Andy is. I mean Pete Blakk is known for his shredding, Denner for his melodic playing...but just check out how Andy's choice of notes vary from album to album. The Dark feel of Voodoo to the melodic playing in House of God to say the more classical choice of notes in both the Abigail albums. I think he's the world's most underrated guitarist.  \m/ I bow down to the man's genius.
I totally agree. Andy is my Guitar God number one. He has great sense of style in his playing. Andy is versatile, innovative, talented and the most important thing for me is the awesome sense of style. His solos are out of this world, they are simply perfect!. I can feel how Andy plays with all of his heart. Andy knows the melodic stuff but his playing is still so heavy and rough at times. I adore Andy La Rocque and his guitar playing. He did great job with EF Band even before joining King Diamond and since that he has been the best ever (I don't like the X-World/5 debut album though, but all the other La Rocque stuff is pure class).

EDIT:
I have to add that Andy is a great composer. One of the best. For example I just thought what songs Andy has written to the newer KD albums and most of them are among my favourites.

The songs Andy has written during the decade:

House of God: The Trees Have Eyes, House of God, The Pact, Catacomb and Peace of Mind
Abigail II: The Revenge: Mansion In Sorrow, Slippery Stairs and Spirits
The Puppet Master: Magic, The Ritual and Darkness
Give Me Your Soul... Please: Never Ending Hill, Black of Night, The Cellar, Pictures In Red, Give Me Your Soul and The Floating Head

Amazing music.

If I forgot something feel free to correct me.:P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:42:55 am by Hammer »

Offline fathermalone

• Holy Shrine
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 10:43:26 am »
Andy also wrote Peace of Mind from House of God:cool:

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 01:42:24 am »
Andy also wrote Peace of Mind from House of God:cool:
Yeah, thanks for reminding me. Peace of Mind is awesome! :cool:

Offline Cremated

• Spirit
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 12:21:32 pm »
Yeah, Andy is underrated as fuck. People should give him more recognition.

Offline TheMadArab

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 08:22:27 pm »
Talent is far too underrated in the music business. I've seen more than 5000 musicians play live in my life to date and if talent equated recognition/success, the world would be a very different place.

Andy does kick ass.

Offline grandmas~saggytits

• Just A Shadow
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 01:19:27 pm »
I stand corrected then mr maiden jersey, it is debatable, and Mike WEED is badass too dude! :king: :cool:

Offline countdelafey

• Ghost of Change
  • Theres a little old man, standing by my window
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2010, 03:22:20 pm »
Andy is such a good guitarist. His riffas and solos are increadiable. Its sad he his often overlooked as he is one of the best guitarists ever.
Can anybody help me now?