Author Topic: If you HAD to rank all the King Diamond albums....  (Read 28608 times)

Offline Huntsmænus

• King Of Pain
  • Putrefaction
Re: If you HAD to rank all the King Diamond albums....
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »
80s, 2000s then 90s...
Resistance is inadvisable...

Offline Mzzz

• One Of "Them"
  • Beware... of the Daytime Moon.
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 02:04:59 PM »
Hard... really hard...

Abigail (simply a masterpiece, front to end)
The Puppet Master (also a masterpiece, great story, great music)
House of God (I simply love it... can't help it)
The Eye (songs like the trial \m/ awesome)
The Graveyard (first cd i remember singing along, i was 5 :D)
Abigail 2 (I don't understand why it's on the bottom with most, i love it)
The Spider's Lullabye (too bad only last few songs is a story, but the story surely is great! this cd has KD's most crap number on it though)
Conspiracy (don't listen to it that often, but great cd)
Voodoo (same as with conspiracy)
Them (same as with conspiracy-voodoo)
Fatal Portrait (simply because I barely listen to it, it's a great cd though)
Give Me Your Soul... please (music is great, lyrics ruin it for me, too simple)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:20:15 PM by Mzzz »
I am many, we are one, the highest.

Offline Beelzebub

• The mother of postwhores!
  • SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 03:15:04 PM »
Conspiracy
Fatal Portrait
Them
The Graveyard
The Eye
House of God
Voodoo
Give Me Your Soul...Please
The Puppet Master
The Spider's Lullaby
Abigail II
Abigail
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Tri Landau

• One Of "Them"
  • I think Melissa's still with us.
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 12:28:07 AM »
Abigail
Fatal Portrait
Them
The Puppet Master
The Eye
Conspiracy
The Graveyard
Voodoo
House Of God
The Spiders Lullabye
Abigail II

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 01:52:46 AM »
This is too hard. I simply love them all. But if I had to rank those albums at the moment this would be the order:

1. The Puppet Master (The Best Album ever released)
2. Abigail (My all-time second favourite, this could be number one as well)
3. Give Me Your Soul... Please (Beyond awesome album, almost as good as the first two)
4. House of God (Atmospheric, melancholic and awesome)
5. The Eye (the guitar work blows my mind, solo's are priceless)
6. Conspiracy (Very good guitar album. The lyrics aren't overall my favourite one's but the songs are pure class)
7. "Them" (Awesome album storywise, creepy and progressive. Mikkey's drumming is excellent)
8. Fatal Portrait (Kick ass heavy metal from the very beginning to the end (Timi Hansen rules!). With full concept it would be even better)
9. The Graveyard (Insane album. I love the story and all the theatrical KD voices. At times this is among my KD favourites. It just depends on my mood.)
10. Abigail II: The Revenge (The story is great sequel to Abigail. King's vocal performance is suberb. I like the songs as well but the weakest songs aren't great at KD standards. However all the songs are good.)
11. Voodoo (The atmosphere is very dark and gloomy, love it. I'm not a huge fan of all the songs though. At times I like this album more. Just like The Graveyard this could be among the best one's, but usually this isn't among my favourite KD works)
12. The Spider's Lullabye (Well, I love the first five songs and Eastmann's Cure. However, Six Feet Under and the title track are among my least favourite KD songs. That's why this album is my least favourite. King's vocal performance is brilliant on this album)

I adore all of them. I would give to all of these albums at least 4½/5 rating and most would get 5/5. The order changes almost all the time. Long Live The King! :cool:

Offline apeshaven

• Unclean Spirit
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 03:54:19 AM »
1.abigail
2.them
3.conspiracy
4.fatal portrait
5.the eye
6.house of god
7.voodoo
8.abigail II
9.the spiders lullabye
10.give me your spould please
11.the puppet master
12.the graveyard

Offline Madhatter

• "Amon" Belongs To You
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010, 04:34:12 PM »
Conspiracy
Fatal Portrait
Them
The Graveyard
The Eye
House of God
Voodoo
The Puppet Master
The Spider's Lullaby
Abigail II
Abigail

Wow, I've never seen anyone rank Abigail as least favorite. To each their own, though.
And the blood shall flow free like words... And the bones will form stairs to the future...

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 03:09:52 PM »
Wow, I've never seen anyone rank Abigail as least favorite. To each their own, though.
no offence but that's fucking stupid, fair enough you might have over-listened to it or whatever but really...there's not a bad song on abigail at all and it's the real essence of what King Diamond is all about...to rate it as the worst is beyond me.
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2010, 09:39:42 AM »
there's not a bad song on abigail at all and it's the real essence of what King Diamond is all about...to rate it as the worst is beyond me.

Imo there are a few bad songs on Abigail , I like the story for abigail but I think that Them and Conspiracy are better albums. Also if someone wanted wanted to know what King Diamond was about I think it would be something from Mercyful Fate because they were out before KD. Well all I am trying to say is music is a matter of personal taste.

Them
Conspiracy
Fatal Portrait
The Eye
Abigail
Voodoo
The Puppet Master
House of God
Abigail II
The Spider's Lullaby
The Graveyard
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:45:08 AM by Maiden Jersey »

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
no offence but that's fucking stupid

payback's a bitch!

fair enough you might have over-listened to it or whatever but really...there's not a bad song on abigail at all and it's the real essence of what King Diamond is all about...to rate it as the worst is beyond me.

You over-analyse. It is not rated as the worst, but the less favorite, and there is a HUGE difference. Let me explain, 'cos even though you won't agree, at least you'll know where I'm coming from.

When Abigail came out, I was really disapointed. For 2 reasons, 1. It didn't sound like Mercyful Fate enough for my tastes (I know it sounds shallow, but let me continue), and 2. It sounded COMMERCIAL!!.....which was a big trend at the time and a big turn off for me for many bands that dared playing that card (Make-up, hairspray, flashy clothes, less aggressive music, ballads, etc.....ie MTV appeal!)
I really got in KD's world with Fatal Portrait, so that was the benchmark, or the album by which all the others would be judged. I then started by going back in the MF catalogue and was delighted with what I heard. I still rank Melissa as my all-time #1 album, regardless of genre.
So Abigail was a big let down from that (Again, you may not agree, I'm just explaining how I felt). And to top it all, they chose The Family Ghost as the single/video and it was a song that really did nothing for me. So I never over-played that album. In fact, I have put it on a few times in the last couple of years, and found it aged pretty well. Again, I never hated that album. Side 2 is very good.

When "Them" came out, I was fucking relieved! It was like what he had tried to do with Abigail was now working. It still sounded commercial, but with a better dose of the older stuff. I absolutely loved that album, and still do. Then Conspiracy comes out and I'm flabergasted. He just outdone himself, and the band never sounded better. This to me, is the ultimate King Diamond album. It has the best songs and overall feel.
So with all that, you might say that I should have given Abigail another try at the time....and believe me, I did. And it still didn't click with me, the way all the other albums did.

So, if I HAD to rank all the KD albums, this is the one that HAS to go on the bottom. I agree that it is a superior album than Abi 2, but it's a personnal list, and I'm more likely to put on Abi 2 than 1 for the reasons stated above.

Let the flaming continue!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 09:55:51 AM by Beelzebub »
As of October 2017, number of years I've been a coven member, waiting for the dvds: 12

Offline Maiden Jersey

• Become Earth
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2010, 10:00:14 AM »
Then Conspiracy comes out and I'm flabergasted. He just outdone himself, and the band never sounded better. This to me, is the ultimate King Diamond album.

Yeah conspiracy is just fucking awesome so much groove and the playing is top-notch. The songs are so catchy on that album, on first listen I was hooked.

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2010, 10:45:27 AM »
payback's a bitch!

You over-analyse. It is not rated as the worst, but the less favorite, and there is a HUGE difference. Let me explain, 'cos even though you won't agree, at least you'll know where I'm coming from.

When Abigail came out, I was really disapointed. For 2 reasons, 1. It didn't sound like Mercyful Fate enough for my tastes (I know it sounds shallow, but let me continue), and 2. It sounded COMMERCIAL!!.....which was a big trend at the time and a big turn off for me for many bands that dared playing that card (Make-up, hairspray, flashy clothes, less aggressive music, ballads, etc.....ie MTV appeal!)
I really got in KD's world with Fatal Portrait, so that was the benchmark, or the album by which all the others would be judged. I then started by going back in the MF catalogue and was delighted with what I heard. I still rank Melissa as my all-time #1 album, regardless of genre.
So Abigail was a big let down from that (Again, you may not agree, I'm just explaining how I felt). And to top it all, they chose The Family Ghost as the single/video and it was a song that really did nothing for me. So I never over-played that album. In fact, I have put it on a few times in the last couple of years, and found it aged pretty well. Again, I never hated that album. Side 2 is very good.

When "Them" came out, I was fucking relieved! It was like what he had tried to do with Abigail was now working. It still sounded commercial, but with a better dose of the older stuff. I absolutely loved that album, and still do. Then Conspiracy comes out and I'm flabergasted. He just outdone himself, and the band never sounded better. This to me, is the ultimate King Diamond album. It has the best songs and overall feel.
So with all that, you might say that I should have given Abigail another try at the time....and believe me, I did. And it still didn't click with me, the way all the other albums did.

So, if I HAD to rank all the KD albums, this is the one that HAS to go on the bottom. I agree that it is a superior album than Abi 2, but it's a personnal list, and I'm more likely to put on Abi 2 than 1 for the reasons stated above.

that's cool man, I overreacted :) I'm sorry that's a  nice story.   :king:
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2010, 10:59:07 AM »
atm my probably is...

Abigail
"Them"
Conspiracy
Voodoo
Fatal Portrait
The Graveyard
The Puppet Master
House Of God
The Eye
Give Me Your Soul... Please
Abigail II
The Spider's Lullabye
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2010, 02:29:24 PM »
that's cool man, I overreacted :) I'm sorry that's a  nice story.   :king:

No problem! I know my views on it are not very popular in this place!....but I'm still a huge KD fan!

atm my probably is...

Abigail

What?  :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:30:00 PM by Beelzebub »

Offline Natas

• Angel Of Light
  • Hello.
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
Haha, I`m not even gonna try the top half of the list. But The Graveyard is my absolute least fav (I don`t hate it!!!!!  :D:), with Spider falling somewhat more in taste.
Like, whatever.

Offline Thomas

• Lurker From The Dark
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 10:17:43 AM »
payback's a bitch!

Interesting point of view! When you explain it like that I fully understand your reasons for placing Abigail last, although it's probably a bit too harsh and maybe a bit provocative...? :) I'm a bit like that myself when it comes to music, and it's interesting to hear things like this from people that were actually there when it really happened, as opposed to most people who pick up these albums 20-25 years later and more or less have their mind made up before even hearing the album at all. Everyone knows Abigail, Them etc are the classics so listening to them and being completely neutral is difficult.

Question: I understand you're more into the rough and raw sound of early MF and Fatal Portrait - do you feel there's a similarity between the sound of those early recordings and the stuff in the 90's when the sound became heavier and more metallic again (mostly on Spider's and Voodoo) after The Eye which was a bit softer?

Offline Beast_Regards

• Mad Arab
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »
No problem! I know my views on it are not very popular in this place!....but I'm still a huge KD fan!

What?  :D
:D :D :D :D :king:  My favourite changes from day to day
THIS PLACE IS TERRIBLE!

Offline Beelzebub

• SPAMBOT!
    • Banzai Records
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »
Interesting point of view! When you explain it like that I fully understand your reasons for placing Abigail last, although it's probably a bit too harsh and maybe a bit provocative...? :) I'm a bit like that myself when it comes to music, and it's interesting to hear things like this from people that were actually there when it really happened, as opposed to most people who pick up these albums 20-25 years later and more or less have their mind made up before even hearing the album at all. Everyone knows Abigail, Them etc are the classics so listening to them and being completely neutral is difficult.

I know. I used to be in complete disbelief when I heard any old Pink Floyd fan bash on Dark side of the Moon. Mainly 'cos I discovered it 10 years after the fact. I'm not saying it's better to have been there, but you definitely get a more personnal feeling from an album. Like you said, you don't have the opinion of anyone but yours. But nowadays, I understand those Pink Floyd fans, 'cos of what the band started out as, and the direction they took.

Question: I understand you're more into the rough and raw sound of early MF and Fatal Portrait - do you feel there's a similarity between the sound of those early recordings and the stuff in the 90's when the sound became heavier and more metallic again (mostly on Spider's and Voodoo) after The Eye which was a bit softer?

good question. But I would say, maybe the opposite. To me, the KD band has a life of its own, and a certain way to put twists on things, in a different way than MF does it. I came to that conclusion with the reformed MF, that still sounds like MF, but heavily influenced by the KD band. It's really the evolution of the King Diamond (the man) sound. There is no way "Into the Unknown" or "9" would have sounded like they do, if they had been written and performed a few years after "Don't Break the Oath". I do hear a lot of "Voodoo" and even "Them" on those albums.
I'm not saying MF toned down, but their sound was influenced from the KD solo stuff. I still hear glimpses of the early albums, especially on "In the Shadows", but I don't find that on the latter KD albums.

Offline Grotesque

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:59 AM »
The Puppet Master
Conspiracy
Abigail
Voodoo
House Of God
The Eye
"Them"
The Graveyard
Fatal Portrait
The Spider´s Lullabye
Abigail II: The Revenge

Offline Shadowswhisper

• Lurker From The Dark
  • even a broken clock is right twice a day
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 01:22:48 AM »
I cant put them in any specific order as all of them hold a special meaning or capture a special mood at any given time sometimes ill like Abigail better then Them or Conspiracy more so then The eye and vice versa just depends on what i want to hear when i want to hear it and at that time the album I'm listening too is my favorite

Stay heavy  \m/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:25:19 AM by Shadowswhisper »
The road to hell is paved with good intentions...would explain why i am so nice !

Offline Hammer

• Voodoo Priest
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles - West Ham!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 11:20:45 AM »
The Puppet Master
Conspiracy
Abigail
Voodoo
House Of God
The Eye
"Them"
The Graveyard
Fatal Portrait
The Spider´s Lullabye
Abigail II: The Revenge

Very cool ranking! My list might look almost the same some day. It always changes though 'cause all of the albums are absolutely amazing... :)

Offline Chagosomar

• Angel Of Light
  • "Moonchild!!! Hear the mandrake scream!"
    • Deadly Fujow. A dark ambient project
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »
1. Conspiracy or Them, cuz it's a true tie for me. I have never been able to make up my mind which is better.
2. Abigail
3. The Eye
4. Fatal Portrait
5. Spider's Lullabye or Voodoo
After those I really have no idea.

Offline Grotesque

• Ghost of Change
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2010, 03:59:27 AM »
Very cool ranking! My list might look almost the same some day. It always changes though 'cause all of the albums are absolutely amazing... :)

I know it was really hard to rank them... but that was my list right now, like you said it changes. Tomorrow The Graveyard might be on top, who knows.  :D

Offline KingForever112

• A Family Ghost
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2010, 09:32:49 AM »
Fatal Portrait
Them
Abigail
Conspiracy
The Graveyard
Spiders Lullaby
Voodoo
Abigail 2
The Puppet Master
The Eye
House of God

God damn that was hard, ALL KD and MF albums are excellence in my eyes so i dont have a true order, but if i had to rate them as listened to most:

Fatal Portrait (About 99% of the time  :king: )
Voodoo
The Graveyard
Conspiracy
Abigail 2
Abigail
Them
The Puppet Master
Spiders Lullaby
The Eye
House of God

"Room of Golden Air" - Mercyful Fate
lyrics:
""

Offline Jurassic_christ

• Spirit
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
abigail
abigail 2
Them
conspiracy
the graveyard
the eye
fatal portrait
house of god
give me your soul
the puppet master
spiders lullabye